Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 992 Sport Classic

I do like Porsche Marketing: Pepita interior etc. will be available as "Heritage Design Classic" starting 09/22 (in Germany)  kiss and ... the 1.250 lucky Sport Classic owners will have to opportunity, again, to buy a watch which will exclusively be sold to them ...

Yep, I would choose the GT3 Touring over the Sport Classic anytime but I get the flair of this Sport Classic with the detuned 992 Turbo engine. Very interesting product indeed.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

This was as close as I'd ever come to a new Sport Classic.....2013 C2s Sport Design. Was my Favorite 911

P1010810.jpeg
    P1010671.jpeg

--

2015 Jet Black TT

Porsche 911 Sport Classic - Instagram.jpg

Smiley

This car will have lots of road presence. Love it. The best looking 992. The wide back arches without the air intakes will make this car stand out. The 992 is a big fat car in Carrera iteration. It only stars to look good when taken to more extremes ... making it even bigger, but loosing the ''fat'' shape. 

Compared to the Touring, this one will be more usable on public streets. No need to rev it into loose your license territory to enjoy the engine. Also probably much more confortable to do long trips in it. 

Manual and RWD with 550 is good enough. 

And the advertisement video is indeed fantastic. Smiley

Can someone educate me, the Carrera S has the exact same dimensions as this correct ?

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

TB993tt:

Can someone educate me, the Carrera S has the exact same dimensions as this correct ?

No, this one has the Turbo dimensions. 

Carrera  and  Carrare S : 185cm

Turbo, Turbo S  and Sport classic : 190 cm 

d997h:

Wow!! I am sold on the video - who cares about the car ?? The best ad/vid l have seen for years.kiss

It was a beautifully made film (the name “video” doesn’t do it justice).  I can only imagine how much each of the 1,250 buyers would have to contribute to pay the production cost indecision 

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I love the combo, just without the big stickers with the numbers, but ffs Why can't porsche just get things right....it's always something, Is it so difficult to just have a GT3 Touring with some rear seats!!!!!! ARRRGGGH! Mind you, I've enquired about a Sport Classic, as I believe it to be a very interesting proposition, although I'm expecting to be to be told to F Off, lol.  I've been fortunate to get my GT3 Allocation, but originally I was hoping  the touring option would come  with rear seats this time around, but when it was official that this was off the table I settled for a regular GT3, to get the car sooner.  It's an amazing machine, just not at the point in life I'm currently at.  I've had three GT3's previously and I was either single or without kids for all of them, and enjoyed them thoroughly.  Now I've got young kids that can enjoy the rides and easily fit in the back, so the GT3 while incredible, it's just not doing it for me.  The other option I'm looking at, is a GTS Cab to get a little of everything I want. Lets see how things play out in the near term.

Just configured one 290,000 Euros

Film is awesome as well. That song just hit me with nostalgia, which I'm guessing is what they were going for lol

Moser:

Film is awesome as well. That song just hit me with nostalgia, which I'm guessing is what they were going for lol

yeah, nostalgia, wink... +1

Base price here 339k CHF heart  To be fair, we do then get a ''euro discount'' when ordering which is matched to the CHF/Euro exchange rates. At the moment it is nearly 1 to 1 . So should be a substantial discount. 

they've realized now that they can charge the clients anything for a ltd production of 1250 cars and get away with it.  No point to leave some money on the table that the dealers or resellers will end up making.  I wonder how many RHD cars will be available?

Gnil:

Base price here 339k CHF heart  To be fair, we do then get a ''euro discount'' when ordering which is matched to the CHF/Euro exchange rates. At the moment it is nearly 1 to 1 . So should be a substantial discount. 

Do not forget the cost for the watch ...

All aspects of the car seems interesting, but the most disappointing bit is the 7-speed manual.

But then again the Motorsport 6-speed doesn't quite mate right up to the regular engines.

Now if one isn't too attached to the duck tail, a 991 Touring is a much better proposition. Smaller, lighter, more agile car with a better gearbox. Much much cheaper to boot. After all, the 991 Touring is the finished version of the 911R, which itself is a beta car for Porsche to test out stuff. 

--

its the rear seats for me!

d997h:
    Gnil:

Do not forget the cost for the watch ...

+  the Panamera Hybrid + Taycan Turbo ..... Smiley

Whoopsy:

All aspects of the car seems interesting, but the most disappointing bit is the 7-speed manual.

But then again the Motorsport 6-speed doesn't quite mate right up to the regular engines.

Now if one isn't too attached to the duck tail, a 991 Touring is a much better proposition. Smaller, lighter, more agile car with a better gearbox. Much much cheaper to boot. After all, the 991 Touring is the finished version of the 911R, which itself is a beta car for Porsche to test out stuff. 

The 7 speed manual was improved from the 991.1 to the 991.2 and If I am not mistaken, improved another bit on the 992. Should be now good enough I would think.

The Sport Classic is more of a grand tourer in my view. The Touring is much more sporty. Less adapted for long highway trips for example. Just looks at how they have decided to dress the inside of the Sport Classic. 

Moser:

its the rear seats for me!

Buy the kit and get it fitted locally, I gave up on Mclarens because with young kids a two seater car just doesn't get used. I've has rear seat belts in my 7GT2 virtually from new and have actually toured Europe with kids in the back and use it loads today with at least one small bum in the back kiss

https://elfermotors.de/porsche-991-gt3-touring-nachr%C3%BCsten-der-r%C3%BCcksitzbank.html

--

Whoopsy:

How about why is the Model 3 called Model 3? Where is Model 1 and Model 2? Why is that Elon named it Model 3 and not Model 1? Is it because he is retarded and can't count numbers? Or why is Model S called Model S and not Model A? WH did Elon skipped so many alphabets? Is it because that way Elon can say it isn't a beta car? 

Not sure if you're serious, but:

Model S

Model 3

Model X

Model Y

Smiley

JoeRockhead:
    Whoopsy:

How about why is the Model 3 called Model 3? Where is Model 1 and Model 2? Why is that Elon named it Model 3 and not Model 1? Is it because he is retarded and can't count numbers? Or why is Model S called Model S and not Model A? WH did Elon skipped so many alphabets? Is it because that way Elon can say it isn't a beta car? 

Model S

Model 3

Model X

Model Y

Smiley

If someone wants to make fun of Porsche's trim levels, it's only fair game to mention those. 🤷🏻‍♂️ And why doesn't Elon uses another 4 letter word instead? Say Model C, Model U, Model N and Model T?

My old PC has a turbo button too, and it doesn't have a turbo inside, yet no weirdos decided to make fun of the lack of turbo in my computer.

--

Whoopsy:
    JoeRockhead:
    Whoopsy:

Model S

Model 3

Model X

Model Y

Smiley

If someone wants to make fun of Porsche's trim levels, it's only fair game to mention those. 🤷🏻‍♂️ And why doesn't Elon uses another 4 letter word instead? Say Model C, Model U, Model N and Model T?

My old PC has a turbo button too, and it doesn't have a turbo inside, yet no weirdos decided to make fun of the lack of turbo in my computer.

He actually said zilch about Porsche trim levels. Which by the way have nothing to do with computers or Teslas. 
    Weirdo?  

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    JoeRockhead:
    Whoopsy:

Model S

Model 3

Model X

Model Y

Smiley

He actually said zilch about Porsche trim levels. Which by the way have nothing to do with computers or Teslas. 
    Weirdo?  

Did I named Elon? No. I am only referring to all those that wanted to make fun of Porsche with their turbo trim line. 

Complete weirdo indeed when for the longest time Porsche is naming their top trim for a model line turbo and then turbo S, which has nothing to do with whether the car itself has a turbo or 2 or not🤷🏻‍♂️Even when some do indeed have a turbo or 2 over the normal trim, which they named 4 or 4S or just S or simply nothing. Trim name really have no bearing on the equipment offered. 

--

Porsche 911 Sport Classic

- Press Release -

Special edition 911 coupé with unique drivetrain and iconic styling featuring ducktail spoiler

The new Porsche 911 Sport Classic: back to the future

S22_2655_fine.jpg

Stuttgart. The new Porsche 911 Sport Classic announced today is defined by its timeless style, design craftsmanship and technical perfection. It features an emotive, twin-turbocharged flat-six engine with a manual gearbox, combined with distinctive design cues inspired by iconic 911 models from history. It is the second of four collectors’ items that the Stuttgart sports car manufacturer has presented from its Heritage Design strategy.

A total of 1,250 examples of the limited-edition model by Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur revives the style of the 1960s and early 1970s. Like its immediate predecessor, the 997-based 911 Sport Classic presented in 2009, the appearance of this model is inspired by the original 911 (1964 – 1973) and the 1972 911 Carrera RS 2.7.

“The Heritage Design models represent the most emotionally driven concepts of the Porsche product strategy,” says Alexander Fabig, Vice President Individualization and Classic. “This unique approach sees the Style Porsche design department working with Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur to reinterpret iconic 911 models and equipment from the 1950s through to the 1980s and to revive design features from those decades.”

Porsche is launching four limited-edition models over an extended period. The first of these was presented in 2020: the 911 Targa 4S Heritage Design Edition with design elements from the 1950s and 1960s.

Reinterpreting historical design elements

The wide body – otherwise reserved for the 911 Turbo models – a fixed rear spoiler in the style of the legendary 'ducktail' Carrera RS 2.7, and the double-bubble roof underscore the distinctiveness of the new 911 Sport Classic.

As with the first 997-generation 911 Sport Classic launched in 2009, the designers were inspired by the Fashion Grey paintwork of the early Porsche 356 when choosing the exclusive paint finish for the new limited-edition model.

"The new 911 Sport Classic is the first vehicle to feature Sport Grey Metallic paintwork," says Michael Mauer, Vice President Style Porsche. "Grey is never boring, quite often a statement and always cool.”

Twin stripes painted on the bonnet, roof and rear spoiler in light Sports Grey emphasise the sporting design of the car.

As an alternative to the exclusive Sport Grey Metallic finish, the new 911 Sport Classic will also be available in solid Black, Agate Grey Metallic, Gentian Blue Metallic or Paint to Sample. (Expected to be available from October 2022 and without contrasting painted stripes).

S22_2653_fine.jpg

In the interior, the iconic Pepita pattern can be found on the door panels and seat centres, while two-tone, semi-aniline leather upholstery in Black/Classic Cognac provides an elegant contrast to the exterior colour.

As part of the Heritage Design Classic package, selected interior elements of the new 911 Sport Classic will also be available for most current 911 models, from September 2022.

550 PS for the most powerful manual 911 yet

The powertrain concept is equally unique: the 3.7-litre, twin-turbocharged six-cylinder ‘boxer’ engine transmits its 550 PS (405 kW) to the road via the rear wheels. In combination with the seven-speed manual gearbox, the new 911 Sport Classic is the most powerful manual 911 available today.

Top speed where permitted is 196 mph, and acceleration from 0-62 mph takes 4.1 seconds. Fuel consumption is 22.4 mpg Combined WLTP, equivalent to 285 g/km CO2.

The gearbox has an auto-blip function that compensates for engine-speed differences between the gears with a brief burst of revs when shifting down. The standard sports exhaust system is specially tailored to the model for an even more emotional sound experience.

The suspension, based on that of the 911 Turbo and 911 GTS models, meets high performance requirements: thanks to the standard Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), its shock absorbers respond to dynamic changes at lightning speed. PASM is combined as standard with the sports suspension, which features a 10 millimetre lower ride height.

The 911 Sport Classic can be ordered now, priced from £209,540.00 RRP. Delivery to Porsche Centres will be from summer onwards.

Customers will also be invited to explore the potential of the new car, and further develop their own skills behind the wheel, by participating in a bespoke driving experience around the unique tracks at the Porsche Experience Centre, Silverstone.

- Ends -

Porsche 911 Sport Classic

Design, technology and plenty of history

Porsche 911 Sport Classic - Design Drawing.png

28/04/2022

A sports car as extraordinary as the 911 Sport Classic is worth more than a thousand words. But that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be talked about anyway: a conversation with the car’s designers – Grant Larson, Daniela Miloševic and Chris Holzinger – as well as Boris Apenbrink, the then Project Manager of the first, 997-generation 911 Sport Classic and the present-day Director of Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur Vehicles.

Let’s begin with a general question: how did the Sport Classic come about?

Apenbrink: “Well, first of all it’s important to say that the entire thing was not really intentional. In 2009, the Sport Classic saw us reviving complex vehicle projects at Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur, which was still called Porsche Exclusive back then. Right away we said it was something that we wanted to do more often in the future. Actually, everyone was convinced. It had always been the case with all the Exclusive models until this point – every vehicle we worked on was a one-off. Because that was the strategy: there was one and only ever one. The next time we would come up with a new theme. But customers had kept asking: ‘When are you going to do a Sport Classic again?’”

Larson: Although only 250 examples of the first Sport Classic were built, it still has an incredible presence today and remains in the minds of a huge number of people – not just on Instagram or Facebook – but also at Porsche meetings and so on.”

Apenbrink: “Yes, it’s the kind of vehicle where you keep hearing that it turns heads.”

The name ‘Sport Classic’ – what is it all about? Is there a story behind it or are we not allowed to share it?

Apenbrink: “That was actually a working title. Back then, we had worked out three concepts for the first limited series in a workshop – one of them was a ‘Classic Coupé’. The exact wording was ‘a classic coupé with the most important design references in Porsche’s history’. When we said ‘classic’, we meant a pure form of the Porsche sports car. But adopting the working title would have been too easy, so we combed through the history of Porsche vehicle names. We stuck with SC, which was then short for Super Carrera, because it was a perfect match for the vehicle’s features. The shorter the name on the rear lid, the better. And so we dreamed of using 911 SC. In the end, however, the naming rights to ‘SC’ had already been taken and our vehicle was not a 1:1 successor to the 911 Porsche SC at the time. So we kept searching and went from Super Carrera to Sport Classic. A classic sports car with a manual transmission, rear-wheel drive, a performance-enhanced engine and typical Gran Turismo equipment – a Sport Classic indeed.”

When deciding on a new Sport Classic, were there any difficulties or any particular hurdles that had to be overcome? Or was it simply that everyone was excited and it just took off?

Larson: “I wouldn’t call it a difficulty – but the biggest challenge was definitely the rear wings. We really wanted the wide haunches but without the air intake. But there weren’t any tools for that, so we had to do a bit of tinkering with an experimental tool. Are we allowed to say that?”

Apenbrink: (laughing) “Yes, we can say that. As Grant just mentioned, we really wanted that sculptural shape, that wide body with nice curves. But we couldn’t run up millions in development costs, we needed good ideas instead. And that’s when we had the idea of further developing and using the pre-production tooling, for the actual production run as a limited-edition tool. It was an unusual approach that made the impossible possible. But in general it could be said that none of these cars were simply a home run. There was a lot to do before the vehicles could appear at motor shows and a lot of decision-makers needed to be convinced. Limited-edition vehicles always polarise opinion somehow – and very deliberately so. They are often not self-explanatory, either. That’s exactly what makes them so appealing. It takes a lot of passion and persuasion to take these vehicles from the concept phase to the decision-making and development phases – and ultimately to the end goal. It takes a small, committed team that believes in it, fights for it and won’t be dissuaded.”

Porsche-992-Sport-Classic-sketches-002.jpg

And yet here it is now, the new 911 Sport Classic, with a ducktail and all the trimmings. Are there other elements that have their own development history or is the rear the most distinctive?

Larson: “In addition to the ducktail, we also included the design of the Fuchsfelge®. There have always been different interpretations of this in the past, but with the Sport Classic we have come closer to the original than ever before. The recesses in the roof are also unusual. They prevented the original from 2009 from being sold in the US at the time.”

Apenbrink: “Oh yes, good point. Let’s talk about the roof. That wasn’t available at Porsche before the first Sport Classic.”

Larson: “We didn’t put the 997 Sport Classic on the market in the US – that was the reason for the small number of 250 units back then. Because a roof with recesses would have required specific tests to be conducted. They are required by law in the US. This was simply too expensive for the small number of units and the desired level of profitability. That’s why the 997 Sport Classic is also one of the most coveted collector cars in the US.”

Apenbrink: “There are now a few people who have managed to import a 997 Sport Classic and who proudly present them at the various automobile shows and Concours d’Elegance events. But the double-bubble of the new 911 Sport Classic is now regularly available in the US for the first time – that’s a giant step forward.”

Miloševic: “And yet another giant step: the first Sport Classic and now the new one both have a stripe design that matches the double bubbles – very subtle, two tone. The 997 had a relatively light grey colour with darker stripes. Now it’s the opposite: the exterior colour is darker and more modern while the stripes are a bit lighter. But – and this is the point – they are no longer attached as decals to the vehicle like last time, but are painted on instead. That’s a huge leap over its predecessor. When you run your fingers over the two stripes, you notice the beautiful, smooth surface right away. This has been produced using a much more complex process and is very elegant.”

Let’s talk about the interior. There are also some special features here – the Paldao interior package, for example. Is there more to it than just pure visuals?

Holzinger: “From 1964 to 1967 we offered mahogany veneer in a natural matt colour for the instrument panel cover and the steering wheel rim in the Porsche models. That was the historic model. We wanted natural materials. In addition to leather, wood is also used in the vehicle interiors as a high-quality and renewable natural product. The components of the interior are enhanced by the processing of high-quality materials.”

Apenbrink: “Back then, we built the millionth 911 as a nod to Ferry Porsche’s ‘company car’, Irish Green on the outside, with a Pepita pattern on the seats and classic wood on the inside. Customers still associate that with the early 911 models today. Wood is very rarely chosen for modern 911 cars, and much more often for four-door models such as the Macan, since customers associate these much more closely with vehicles from other manufacturers. It’s normal for those, but rather rare for the 911. For the first time, Paldao has – at least in the way I perceive it – a certain coolness for our customers. When they look into the interior they say, ‘Okay, now for the first time I will seriously consider speccing a 911 with a wood interior.’”

Holzinger: “That’s also because it’s an open-pore trim. The open-pore design gives the entire thing a contemporary look with a natural feel that makes it modern. At the same time it is also a tribute to the 1960s.”

Porsche-992-Sport-Classic-sketches-003.jpg

Speaking of tributes, the next keyword is Pepita. This was also retained for historical reasons, wasn’t it?

Holzinger: “Yes, that comes directly from Porsche’s history. Pepita was originally offered as an option in the final stages of the 356. But only very occasionally, on request. It was officially mentioned for the first time in 1965 in the equipment catalogue for the original 911.”

Apenbrink: “Pepita is still one of the most sought-after patterns today when customers ask for special options that aren’t listed in the normal catalogue. This is because many people associate the fabric with Porsche.”

Let’s talk about the instrument cluster. As with the Targa, the rev counter is based on the one used in the 356. These parallels and the green colour – what’s the significance?

Larson: “The numbers were green in the 356 and the 911 until 1967. It stopped after that. The technology was simple back then. The instruments had an offset between the chrome ring or glass and the dial. The instruments were of course illuminated from the outside through this gap. The hands were treated with green phosphorus, like you see with those glow-in-the-dark toys.”

Apenbrink: “Or like the second hand of classic watches.”

Holzinger: “The technology at that time was simply not advanced enough to provide backlighting from your own light source so the phosphorus was used for afterglow.”

Apenbrink: “I remember sitting in a historic Porsche and thinking, ‘You can hardly see the hands’. But of course, if the phosphorus no longer works, then nothing glows anymore.”

Larson: “Even in the newer models, these green elements can often be found in their instruments. This has become a classic element, although phosphorus has not been used for a long time, of course.”

Apenbrink: “It’s also a good example of how technical innovation and tradition naturally merge.”

Thank you very much for the interview.

Link: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2022/products/porsche-911-sport-classic-design-grant-larson-daniela-milosevic-chris-holzinger-bo...

Interesting the the top speed is "only" 196mph, with 550PS it should be well over 200, maybe the ducktail limits stability ?

--

Porsche 911 Sport Classic - Icons of Cool

911-sport-classic-030-header.jpg

**** Bonus Content: Coffee Table Book ****

Porsche 911 Sport Classic - Coffee Table Book preview.png

...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif  ...

Porsche 911 Sport Classic - Coffee Table Book.png

Official PDF of "Coffee Table Book" available to download per link below...

Link:  https://media.porsche.com/mediakit/911-sport-classic/en/background-strategy-design/911-sport-classic-icons-of-cool

Smiley

I don't see any available yet for 992, also with the Carbon Buckets it will be difficult to transition in and out.  If that option existed prior to confirming the order, I would have taken the sofas:) Alas I had checked an it wasn't available.  

I also heard in Europe they give you an issue if you are caught due to insurance not covering the rear seated passengers since the cars aren't designed to carry them? 

Either way, it would be much easier if it came from porsche directly as an option, since most of the touring clients would love rear seats and I'm sure would pay extra as well!

They are usually good at no leaving money on the table lol

I was talking to a bunch of 918 owners, most of which do not planned on ordering this car. The common idea is that the car isn't special enough.

That should increase the availability of the car in the US market by a few dozens as the 918 VIP program is still running and normally they get first dibs. 

--

Whoopsy:

I was talking to a bunch of 918 owners, most of which do not planned on ordering this car. The common idea is that the car isn't special enough.

That should increase the availability of the car in the US market by a few dozens as the 918 VIP program is still running and normally they get first dibs. 

I'll pass on this one.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

Hehe Mike you just add to that tally😂

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765109 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437073 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261313 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258140 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82727 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877362 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809568 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM