Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Options Recommended

A lot of people are asking about useful options. Would be an interesting discussion who thinks what option make sense and which one doesn't.

Colour: That's just individual. I have a Basalt Black/black interior and I like it very much. That have been discussed before.

- ParkAssist
    Some people say it's such a small car, you don't need it. I think it's very useful especially in a small parking lot. It's a quite short car, but the view back is not so clear.
    - Automatically dimming mirrors
    Nice. I have been used to it.
    - Sport Chrono Package
    Great. Has been discussed before.
    - Sports Exhaust System
    A must for me. Not everybody likes that.
    - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
    Just nice.
    - Speed Control
    Nice. I'm used to it.
    - Adaptive Sports Seats
    Great. I'm tall (6'4'') and this seat is just great!!!
    - Leather interior
    A must-have.
    - Porsche crest embossed on head restraints
    Nice for a cab.
    - BOSE Surround Sound System
    Great!! Great!! Especially for a Cab! You really feel like you were in the middle of the music. Even with top down you have such a great sound you only believe it if you have heard it before!!

What do you think is a must/useful/nice/useless? I look forward to your opinion.

Re: Options Recommended

There are sooo many great options that I would have loved to have had added to mine, however, it's almost endless. In my opinion the only must have option is the Sport-Chrono...not because of the clock thingy, but because of the sport throttle button. I also added Xenon headlights to mine. But like you stated I EASILY could have added another 20K worth of options.

I think PCCB's are a must, but I suppose many people wouldn't hold this view. But I think the opportunity to significantly reduce unsprung weight and improve braking performance at the same time is too good to pass up. Although it is expensive -- $19,000 AUD

Sports suspension (-20mm) is a great no-cost opion for the 997S, apart from the well known sporty benifits it makes the car look lower and cooler

I've never tried it but I would definitely go for the SHORT SHIFTER, seems a great sporty option.

And most of the options you mentioned, Seven, are a must in my book such as PSE, Bose, Sports Chrono, Adaptive sports seats etc..

Seven, being 6'4" tall, is it possible for you to fit into the back seats at all? I'm 5'10" and I have to bend my legs like a pretzel just to fit in there.

Quote:
    Danny G said:
    Seven, being 6'4" tall, is it possible for you to fit into the back seats at all? I'm 5'10" and I have to bend my legs like a pretzel just to fit in there.

I never tried that because I think I can't reach the pedals from there.

I hate only these options on 997:

SPORT CHRONO PLUS

REAR WIPER

TIPTRONIC

WOOD INTERIOR

BOSE

CD CHANGER

Obviously IMHO!
    -

and what about the open roof ? Do you like it or not?

gian61 why do you hate sport chrono?
    Have you tried it or are you just speaking out of you head ,in order to make a statement??

Or the BOSE, or the CD-changer??? HAHA i think you must taste before you judge my friend!!

Sun roof i like, but i m not mad about it at all, i find it too back placed and a little small.

I might of skipped it for something else

Get the thicker steering wheel, the stock on e is way to thinn.

There are no real must option for me on the S. Maybe the full leather...
    I've tried the sport chrono (about 300 km) and didn't like it.
    For me, it's just one more electronic gadget, and I'm afraid one more source of bugs.
    Somebody said : "my right foot does the job very well". I agree with that.
    I don't understand the interest of the PSE, the normal one beeing fantastic past 5000 rpm.
    At lower rpm, I find a too noisy exhaust simply vulgar and childish, admitting to own a Porsche allways is a bit childish
    I tried the -20mm chassis too (50 km only). It doesn't seem too uncomfortable, but the problem is that it can be a bit dangerous. Here are enough smart drivers to explain why in good english (Sorry I can't)

Quote:
    Seven said:
    A lot of people are asking about useful options. Would be an interesting discussion who thinks what option make sense and which one doesn't.

Colour: That's just individual. I have a Basalt Black/black interior and I like it very much. That have been discussed before.

- ParkAssist
    Some people say it's such a small car, you don't need it. I think it's very useful especially in a small parking lot. It's a quite short car, but the view back is not so clear.
    I bet if you practiced backing up to a cardboard box (so there's no damage) after about 10-20 times you could park within an inch of it every time. imho Porsche owners should have enough skill to park their car without hitting anything. ...... Just me but I cant imagine park assist on a Ferrari and I don't like it on a Porsche. Plus it's a very pricey option that hurts the cosmetics.
    - Automatically dimming mirrors
    Nice. I have been used to it.
    Yes. Scale 1-10 = 6
    - Sport Chrono Package
    Great. Has been discussed before.
    Yes. Scale 1-10= 10
    - Sports Exhaust System
    A must for me. Not everybody likes that.
    Scale 1-1-=5. It sounds like the standard exhaust sounds much better and is louder than the PSE when it's OFF. May have a lot to do with how Porsche tuned the standard exhaust to be so good. Don't like that you have to make modifications to eliminate it's restrictions. A lot less user friendly then the 996 PSE. Also don't like the exhaust tips at all. May also depend on where you live. According to a source at PORSCHE, US cars have louder exhausts then the rest of the world so the STANDARD US exhaust may already sound like ROW PSE when they're ON and if you have the PSE OFF on a US car it may be quieter then a standard US Exhaust.
    - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
    Just nice.
    - Speed Control
    Nice. I'm used to it.
    - Adaptive Sports Seats
    Great. I'm tall (6'4'') and this seat is just great!!!
    - Leather interior
    A must-have.
    - Porsche crest embossed on head restraints
    Nice for a cab.
    - BOSE Surround Sound System
    Great!! Great!! Especially for a Cab! You really feel like you were in the middle of the music. Even with top down you have such a great sound you only believe it if you have heard it before!!

What do you think is a must/useful/nice/useless? I look forward to your opinion.

Also,
    Heated Seats 10
    Thicker steering wheel. 10
    CD Changer. 9
    Sport shifter. 5
    seat belts in color. 1
    Navigation. 10

Don't like wood or ruffled seats.

The thicker wheel has no electronics so its a safe upgrade!

Trust me, I've heard 997S in Houston, and NO! Their exhaust do not sound AT ALL like ROW PSE 997 exhaust, they may be a bit louder granted, but nothing like PSE ROW.

Quote:
    cartouche said:

I tried the -20mm chassis too (50 km only). It doesn't seem too uncomfortable, but the problem is that it can be a bit dangerous. Here are enough smart drivers to explain why in good english (Sorry I can't)

How can the -20mm be dangerous?
    If you speak french, send me a PM and I can translate.
    If you are reffering to the fact the the rigid chassis can jiggle over speed bumps and pot holes, true, but that doesn't make the car dangerous, just back off the throttle and chose another road!
    I've driven in Belgium quite a few times, excellent roads there, just like France!
    Shouldn't be a problem.
    The -20 mm chassis can be a handful on a country roads and is definitely stiffer than the PASM suspension on comfort susp. but no way is it dangerous!

From your experience the US standard exhaust is louder then the standard exhaust in row ? Cool. Guess that is what the Porsche source meant. Thanks for that info.

Fanch,
    Question : Would you say the standard US exhaust is louder then the PSE when the PSE is off ?

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    cartouche said:

If you are reffering to the fact the the rigid chassis can jiggle over speed bumps and pot holes, true, but that doesn't make the car dangerous, just back off the throttle and chose another road!
    I've driven in Belgium quite a few times, excellent roads there, just like France!
    Shouldn't be a problem.
    The -20 mm chassis can be a handful on a country roads and is definitely stiffer than the PASM suspension on comfort susp. but no way is it dangerous!

Not having driven a 997S -20mm yet, I can only guess what cartouche means with 'a dangerous option', i think he means that with this option the car becomes more agressive and more sensitive to directional changes. This way it requires a more alert driver. But as I said, i'm just guessing

Fanch, I think you are the first and only man in the whole wide world that describes Belgian roads as excellent roads, they are terrible! I think they are the reason why there are so many SUV's in Belgium
    No seriously, France has way better roads than Belgium.

(sorry for poor English)

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    From your experience the US standard exhaust is louder then the standard exhaust in row ? Cool. Guess that is what the Porsche source meant. Thanks for that info.

No no sorry, you misunderstood me, my fault.
    I wrote that it wouldn't surprise me if it was.
    I definitly know that for the 996 mk2, Wolfgang Durheimer said that Japan, US and Europe all get different exhausts, US being the loudest.
    Dunno about the 997.
    And then I heard the one in Houston, it sounded good but couldn't compare to an EU one clearly!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Fanch,
    Question : Would you say the standard US exhaust is louder then the PSE when the PSE is off ?

Haven't heard the 997 PSE yet in person so can't answer sorry.

I will be in Houston in June, so I'll try to listen to a standard 997S here, then a 997S PSE ON and OFF just as I get on the plane, keep it as fresh as possible in my memory during the 10 hour flight and have Ron pick me up at George Bush airport, comparaison should be pretty accurate!

For the record, on the 996 with PSE, when it's off, to me, it sounds like the normal standard 996 exhaust.

But RC wrote that the 997 PSE OFF sound is pretty disappointing, so I guess it's different.

Quote:
    Porker said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    cartouche said:

Shouldn't be a problem.

Not having driven a 997S -20mm yet, I can only guess what cartouche means with 'a dangerous option', i think he means that with this option the car becomes more agressive and more sensitive to directional changes. This way it requires a more alert driver. But as I said, i'm just guessing

Fanch, I think you are the first and only man in the whole wide world that describes Belgian roads as excellent roads, they are terrible! I think they are the reason why there are so many SUV's in Belgium
    No seriously, France has way better roads than Belgium.

(sorry for poor English)

Went there three times, Bruxelles et Bruges, superbe!
    Was ok to me.
    Yes you're right, car with sport chassis is gonna be, well... more sporty to drive!
    You get what you pay for Actually you don't, it's free!!!

Went there three times, Bruxelles et Bruges, superbe!
    Was ok to me.
    Yes you're right, car with sport chassis is gonna be, well... more sporty to drive!
    You get what you pay for Actually you don't, it's free!!!

Next time you're in Belgium, visit 'Gand' I think you'll love it.

IMO, park assist uglifies the bumper. Get it only if you do alot of parallel parking. Embossed head rests just add more visual confusion to amply busy interior and may be overstating (possibly bragging) your pride in owning Porsche. Sport Chrono stopwatch is a boarderline poser gimick, to bad it comes with the throttle maps. I'm not getting any of these options on my S.

Porker, beste vriend,
    Where did you find this picture of my little sister as your avatar ?
    Welcome in this forum
    Be careful, there are some people here totally missing of humor : use the little graemlins to signify you're joking or ironizing each time it is necessary.
    About the -20mm chassis, I did explain to Fanch, and I hope he will translate
    Tot ziens !

Stradale,

Almost my opinion.

Except the ParkAssist. I'm not such a good driver you are.

And the standard exhaust I'm sure is NOT louder than the PSE off. I drove both.

And with the other things you are absolutely right. Heated Seats I have. Thicker steering wheel I should have ordered. CD Changer is okay, you can retrofit that. And Navigation is also a must-have.

One thing for sure: It's more annoying to NOT have ordered something than have ordered something you don't need so urgently.

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    The thicker wheel has no electronics so its a safe upgrade!

Don't know about that. What about the airbag ?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    IMO, park assist uglifies the bumper.

On a black car you don't see it all. But you are right for other brighter colors.

Quote:
    - ParkAssist

I'm sorry Seven, but I've got to call you out on this. How can one drive a car every day, park that car several times each day, and not be instensely familiar with the outward proportions of that car? And since those park assist gadgets go to a solid alert tone a full 1-2 feet before you ever hit anything anyhow, doesn't that render the whole contraption a bit pointless? Shouldn't you be able to know you're within 1-2 feet on your own, just on instinct? I've seen plenty of grannies and teenagers "parking by braille" in big old clunkers, but c'mon, we're driving 911's! We're supposed to know how to drive, we're supposed to be precise drivers, right? If I were racing on a tight roadcourse with you Seven, I'd likely tape some pillow to the perimeter of my car!!! Sorry I'm so harsh, I'm feeling punchy today. Your o.k. with your park-assist, I just had to vent!

No problem 69bossnine, I don't take that personally. Maybe you didn't have a good day today. I had.

It's just a matter of comfort. You cannot always be sure that you see everything behind you.

And if racing with me - which I would very much appreciate - you wouldn't need pillows. The ParkAssist doesn't work when I'm driving forward and you are behind me far away.

cartouche translation: why 997S sport susp can be dangerous

Quote:
    cartouche said:
    Porker, beste vriend,
    Where did you find this picture of my little sister as your avatar ?
    Welcome in this forum
    Be careful, there are some people here totally missing of humor : use the little graemlins to signify you're joking or ironizing each time it is necessary.
    About the -20mm chassis, I did explain to Fanch, and I hope he will translate
    Tot ziens !

Here is the translation of the PM cartouche sent me:

"Dear Fanch,
    What I meant regarding the -20 mm chassis doesn't concern the suspensions but the rear limited slip differential.
    During my brief test drive, I noticed that the threshold of grip of the car (due to the rear LSD) came almost instantly (It had the same effect on my Honda S2000, also due to rear LSD).
    This very sudden loss of grip can surprise certain drivers and make them do a wrong move. It seems fair to me to warn those who have never driven a powerful car equipped with that device."

Stradale
    You seem to really hate park assist.....is it the visual (agreed it is truly ugly) or is it the concept (assisting you in parking the car) that bothers you.....

As for Ferrari, they should offer park assist on the car...whilst the Porsche is a breeze with good rearward visibility, the 360 is dreadful (and that was meant to be an improvement on previous models!)... From a safety standpoint, if you can't see it how can you avoid it?

Would your opinion be different if park assist didn't have the sensors....(there are systems available that go behind the bumper and are invisible) ...why don't the car manufacturers fit this type?

I think it also depends where you live.....Here in LA you could build a house on parking spaces they're so large....Whereas London, Brussels, Paris etc can be so tight that you can't walk between the cars..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689553 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409229 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255739 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857973 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774033 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM