Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

A very interest article in Golf Connosieur regarding Porsche

mystique and the company direction. Unfortunately I do not subscribe to the magazine(unable to scan) but had a chance to read the article. Overall it was very positive.It is in the Spring 2005 issue.

It also discusses Hollywood's love of the brand citing and showing pictures of luminaries who drive Porsches's.

A brief recap is as follows,

1. The mystique is driven by past owners who would not buy the modern version of the 911. Too GTish. Many of them find the company direction appalling.They keep and maintain their older models.

2. The Cayenne and Boxster have diluted the brand but also generated enormous profits.

3. Porsche makes more profit per car sold than any other car manufacturer.

4. Leaving racing has not cut deeply into the Porsche Mystique though many see trouble on the horizon.

5. The article points out other former strong brands which witness substantial decline in image as a result of leaving racing or development of cheaper models. They cite Cadillac, Audi and Jaguar.

6. The introduction of the sedan will only accelerate the deterioration of the sport car mystique.

7. However, many Hollywood types love the car because it is not over top like a Bentley or Rolls but remains exclusive with a high end image to it.

8. The article concludes by commenting that as long as Porsche continues to build terrifically engineered cars the day of the predicted reckoning by doomsayers( like myself) may never come to pass.

9. Finally Jim Carrey who made 50 million on his last film bought four of the people who got him into the film all a 911. Obviously he could not buy them Ferrari's and we all know why.

10. BTW, the reason Porsche gives for its expansion of models and production numbers 77,000 vehicles a year is their fanatical desire to remain an independent small car company.

Re: A very interest article in Golf Connosieur regarding Porsche

Those golf connosieurs surely know alot about porsches...
    Is that one of those lifestyle magazines? With 'Top 10 rules to be hip' kind of articles?

A couple of those points are true. The rest are not. You're still a troll. That's about it.

Quote:
    nberry said:9. Finally Jim Carrey who made 50 million on his last film bought four of the people who got him into the film all a 911. Obviously he could not buy them Ferrari's and we all know why.

why not?

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:9. Finally Jim Carrey who made 50 million on his last film bought four of the people who got him into the film all a 911. Obviously he could not buy them Ferrari's and we all know why.

why not?

Ben, they are not available to buy like Porsche's.

Brunner, the article was very positive regarding Porsche. You may like facts which make Porsche successful today but they are what they are.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:

why not?

sure they are. i could find and buy four new fcars for those people tomorrow. fcars are readily available if you are simply willing to pay the stupid premiums (or are into the 12 cyl models which everyone knows tank $50 to $75k when you drive em off). there is nothing exclusive about ferraris if you have the money. there just exclusive if you want to buy them new at MSRP.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    It also discusses Hollywood's love of the brand citing and showing pictures of luminaries who drive Porsches's.

If Hollywood loves the Porsche, it's time for me to sell mine.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:

why not?

sure they are. i could find and buy four new fcars for those people tomorrow. fcars are readily available if you are simply willing to pay the stupid premiums (or are into the 12 cyl models which everyone knows tank $50 to $75k when you drive em off). there is nothing exclusive about ferraris if you have the money. there just exclusive if you want to buy them new at MSRP.

well said

Quote:
    nberry said:
    9. Finally Jim Carrey who made 50 million on his last film bought four of the people who got him into the film all a 911. Obviously he could not buy them Ferrari's and we all know why.

Yeah, he wanted to THANK them...not buy them a short term thrill

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:

why not?

In other words, they (Ferrari's) are not available new like some other sport cars (Porsche's) which are produced in such quantities that someone can walk into a showroom and order four at one time.

BTW the article is well written and researched. Even the President of Porsche NA was interviewed. They have some great pictures of past Porsche's. They mention the CGT as well.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:

why not?

In other words, they (Ferrari's) are not available new like some other sport cars (Porsche's) which are produced in such quantities that someone can walk into a showroom and order four at one time.

sure they are. all it takes is money. i could take your 430 before you ever put your rear in it along with the 430 of three other guys if the premium was right.

Jim Kerry currently drives a Mercedes SLR. He owns a Lamborghini Murcielego also. No Fcar herd mentality there.

Obviously he doesn't want himself or his friends seen in the likes of a F430, wich in some circles is seen as nothing more than a car for a Westwood dentist.

Who cares what a actor drives or what a gold magazine writer says about cars? The former gets the studio to give him cars as part of his comp package, the latter writes mostly about little balls rolling on grass.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    mystique and the company direction. Unfortunately I do not subscribe to the magazine(unable to scan) but had a chance to read the article. Overall it was very positive.It is in the Spring 2005 issue.

A brief recap is as follows,

1. The mystique is driven by past owners who would not buy the modern version of the 911. Too GTish. Many of them find the company direction appalling.They keep and maintain their older models.

2. The Cayenne and Boxster have diluted the brand but also generated enormous profits.

3. Porsche makes more profit per car sold than any other car manufacturer.

4. Leaving racing has not cut deeply into the Porsche Mystique though many see trouble on the horizon.

5. The article points out other former strong brands which witness substantial decline in image as a result of leaving racing or development of cheaper models. They cite Cadillac, Audi and Jaguar.

6. The introduction of the sedan will only accelerate the deterioration of the sport car mystique.

7. However, many Hollywood types love the car because it is not over top like a Bentley or Rolls but remains exclusive with a high end image to it.

8. The article concludes by commenting that as long as Porsche continues to build terrifically engineered cars the day of the predicted reckoning by doomsayers( like myself) may never come to pass.

10. BTW, the reason Porsche gives for its expansion of models and production numbers 77,000 vehicles a year is their fanatical desire to remain an independent small car company.

Nick, I didn't know you were a freelance contributing writer to Golf whatever-it-is magazine. Your editorial synopsis of the magazine article is most amusing. I've seen your past paraphrasing/quoting attempts - like the one on the F430 where you left out the part about the new 911 being king of its price point and even challenging cars that cost a multiple of its price. Sure you're not doing the same thing here?

Usually i like nicks' tweaking, but with this one you're just sounding like some little rich boy who was brought up with the proverbial silver spoon. I can't imagine someone going on and on about some silly exclusivity crap based soley on a price tag if they had a decent upbringing and have worked hard AND honestly for their assets.

Give it a rest!

tom

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Usually i like nicks' tweaking, but with this one you're just sounding like some little rich boy who was brought up with the proverbial silver spoon. I can't imagine someone going on and on about some silly exclusivity crap based soley on a price tag if they had a decent upbringing and have worked hard AND honestly for their assets.

Give it a rest!

tom

Tom the only articles worth posting and commenting on are those that are positive (which this one was)but must be also framed in glowing terms?

I reported on the article believing it would be of interest to Porsche owners. If you do not like what the author had to say, take it up with him and not me. Your need to respond in the manner you did is unworthy of you and the people who post here.

"Obviously he could not buy them Ferrari's and we all know why" Bit of a stretch there isn't it?????

Obviously with 50 MILLION DOLLARS from his last film he can source up any trinkets on four wheels or two legs he so desired. Actually it is the STUDIO that would buy him a GOLDEN F16 if he wanted one to give away.

Sorry you despise Porsche's availablility so much. Your harping on it does get tiresome.

------------------------------------
    If you want to hear arrogant dribble, nonsense and the joys of optional Daytona seat grommets, listen to Ferrari owners

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I reported on the article believing it would be of interest to Porsche owners. If you do not like what the author had to say, take it up with him and not me. Your need to respond in the manner you did is unworthy of you and the people who post here.

Typical Nick-ienesque dodge and deflect Do they teach this thing at lawyer school?
    He was talking about YOUR comments, not the article. You were the one with your typical 'porsche is cheap, ferrari is expensive, exclusive and elite' BS, not the article.

That guy could've bought any car, including any number of ferraris. He bought a porsche, and this must be pi**ing you off

You know, Nick, i usually take your pokes at porsche fans lightheartedly thinking you're just provoking us, but i'm beginning to belive you really are a grumpy, mean, egotistical, shallow individual

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

That guy could've bought any car, including any number of ferraris. He bought a porsche, and this must be pi**ing you off

I think you hit the nail on the head. Imagine a guy (Carey) who could choose any vehicle as a reward where money isn't an object (or exclusivity because money buys you the first place in the Ferrari line unless it's an Enzo) and he choose a Porsche!! Just goes to show if wanted to give some one a SPORTSCAR, so he selected a Porsche. If he'd wanted to give them something that screams "Look at me, I got a lot of money", he'd probably have bought gold teeth coverings like the rap stars wear or maybe a bunch of bad plastic surgery - both have the same effect on the general public as a Ferrari.

Just remembered this;

Tom selleck, just after signing a large contract extension, at the height of his magnum series run, bought himself and his 3 main co-stars each the same exotic.

Remember this is magnum pi, the guy most responsible for ferrari mystique in the US, who drove a ferrari almost everyday on the set. Well he bought 4 928's. In fact, his 928 in super condition was on ebay about 2 years ago.

tom

So did Porsche skimp on the design of the 996? I've heard that the car cant deal with much track use due to oil starvation, and with the Golf Connosiuer magazine saying alot of people wont buy the new models, it makes me wonder.

Re: A very interest article in Golf Connosieur regarding Por

Quote:
    911fan said:I've heard that the car cant deal with much track use due to oil starvation,

You heard wrong, 996 carreras are regularly tracked throughout the world every day with no problems, the problem is if you put on slicks on due to the G's you can pull you can starve the engine, but no problems with normal tracking

oh ok. I never said it myself, just heard about it in another forum. Wow slicks must really help you pull some G's.

I have heard it too sometimes, and they forget to say that it is only with slicks not street tires, I just wanted to clarify it just in case
    Compared to normal street tires there is a big difference in grip with slicks, but if you want to use slicks you should go for the GT3, not a carrera, who's chasis, suspensions, engine, etc are not made for that type of grip or use.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:

why not?

sure they are. all it takes is money. i could take your 430 before you ever put your rear in it along with the 430 of three other guys if the premium was right.

Yeah, sure, just shake the money tree and problem solved. The fact of the matter is money in and of itself is exclusive. Therefore, if you gotta pay $100k over msrp, that makes the F430 pretty damn exclusive!

Jim Carey apparently likes Porsche. Another rich moviestar might have gotten them all Saville Row suits or Van Cleef & Arpels rocks. Who knows?
    I know Steven Spielberg bought a Mazda MX5 for each of the stars of "Always" back in 1989 (John Goodman, Holly Hunter, Richard Dreyfuss) after the movie was done (he didnt care much about the crew...).
    Tom Cruise booked a whole movie theatre for the crew of "Far and Away" and served popcorn and soda during a full night of movies. Elvis bought Cadillacs for almost anybody he ever met...so whos to say what is exclusive or not.

I'm sure that getting any gift from any moviestar would feel exclusive to most people, and I'm pretty sure the 4 people who received a Porsche don't spend much time bitching about whether a Ferrari would have been better.

Nick likes Ferrari and likes to make that clear to all of us - sometimes less diplomatically than others.
    But honestly.
    Even driving, let alone owning either car brand puts any person in a pretty exclusive group of people.

I know this is a sportscar forum, and that people therefore discuss these matters, but sometimes we need to pull our heads out of our own a55es and get a reality check.
    "Which car is more exclusive: Porsche or Ferrari".
    Hello? Don't we have more vital things to fight about?

Peace!

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Jim Carey apparently likes Porsche. Another rich moviestar might have gotten them all Saville Row suits or Van Cleef & Arpels rocks. Who knows?
    I know Steven Spielberg bought a Mazda MX5 for each of the stars of "Always" back in 1989 (John Goodman, Holly Hunter, Richard Dreyfuss) after the movie was done (he didnt care much about the crew...).
    Tom Cruise booked a whole movie theatre for the crew of "Far and Away" and served popcorn and soda during a full night of movies. Elvis bought Cadillacs for almost anybody he ever met...so whos to say what is exclusive or not.

I'm sure that getting any gift from any moviestar would feel exclusive to most people, and I'm pretty sure the 4 people who received a Porsche don't spend much time bitching about whether a Ferrari would have been better.

Nick likes Ferrari and likes to make that clear to all of us - sometimes less diplomatically than others.
    But honestly.
    Even driving, let alone owning either car brand puts any person in a pretty exclusive group of people.

I know this is a sportscar forum, and that people therefore discuss these matters, but sometimes we need to pull our heads out of our own a55es and get a reality check.

Peace!

I have never sang the praise of Ferrari! Yes, I prefer Ferrari over Porsche but I do not push the issue. All the pro Porsche posters have raised the issue regarding Ferrari because I own a Ferrari.

Get this through all your heads. My belief is Porsche is raping you and doesn't give a damn and that is the reason for my negative attitude. Yes, Ferrari's are overpriced and strictly an emotional purchase. That said, what you get with Ferrari is price stability something Porsche has abandoned years ago.

With Porsche it is all about profits. Nothing wrong with that so long it is not at financial disadvantage of its customers.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

But honestly.

Peace!

what you get with Ferrari is price stability something Porsche has abandoned years ago.

With Porsche it is all about profits. Nothing wrong with that so long it is not at financial disadvantage of its customers.

yes, so long as you've been arse raped at least once, give your dealer an obligatory arse rape 7 to 10% commission on all your fcar trades (er: consigns) when (s)he bones the new guy, and you are then able to buy at MSRP (unlike pcar buyers who often buy well under MSRP right off the bat). price stability is the last thing the arse rapee @ $50 to $60k over MSRP will experience. or the guy who has to pay the 7% to 10% commission + on top of MSRP for used models.

with ferrari dealers it's all about profits. nothing wrong with that so long as it is not at financial disadvantage of its customers (ie: $50k to $60k over MSRP and then 7% to 10% of your trade in next time). then of course, it's all about $15k 15k mile services usually well under 15k miles.

i will say one thing about porsche, it may suck to lose so much dough, but at least you get a car when you want it (usually well below MSRP), don't have to kiss your dealer's arse, can drive the balls off it, and don't get abused in the service dept. the ferrari on the other hand will leave you without a car while you wait for yours to arrive after playing the consign game, will require low mileage as well as pristine condition to be maintained for "price stability", and will *uck you brutally in the service dept. this lack of exclusitivity on the pcar is what allows me to drive the crap out of my ceramic brakes and spend 1/2 what fcar owners are charged for the same brakes for replacement. paying $30k for a brake job on a ceramic equipped fcar vs. $15k for the pcar is not my idea of price stability. nor is $1k vs. $500 for front pads. nor is the $15k hammer job many 360 owners experienced at the 15k service - even when many didn't even have anywhere near 15k miles! (the same service probably won't even run you $1k in the pcar). the 430's move to chains vs. belts will somewhat minimize that but the 360s were famous for numerous design defects which left owners paying out of pocket for what should have been warranty (ie: cam actuators, etc).

all that said, ferraris are great cars and a blast to drive and listen to if you can get past all the sleezy goings on before, during and after ownership. but, buying pcars well below MSRP, enjoying a multiple of miles to that of an fcar, not having your wallet emptied in service, and not having to give up 7% to 10% of it's value when you are ready to sell it to get another one well under MSRP with minimal to no wait, ain't the worst thing in the world either. fwiw, higher insurance and sales tax difference along with the opportunity cost on the cash or interest diff also need be factored into the equation if we're talking about money. don't forget too you also pay sales tax on the INTEREST on a lease too. hence, keeping a car over 5 years will not result in appreciably less sales tax than if you'd have just written a check at the time of purchase instead of leasing (which often has pre-pay penalties for early termination).

i'll grant you i saw SIX 911s (all 996s: coupes, cabs, c4s, TTs) at the torrey pines/lj parkway intersection today which is important to some. i'm not going to judge that exclusitivity thing even though it is irrelevant to me. and ferrari has told at least one of my friends to take his 430 to the track to break it in while us pcar owners live in fear of warranty denial for using the car similarly - after they're broken in even. i really think if you weigh it all, it's hard to argue one is that much better a deal than the other.

Quote:
    nberry said:I have never sang the praise of Ferrari! Yes, I prefer Ferrari over Porsche but I do not push the issue.

Oh puh-LEEZE! You can't be serious! I'm not going to waste my time going back to the archives to post snippet after snippet from all your past postings.

Remember the story of Pinnochio? Something about his nose growing under certain circumstances I think.

Are you this dramatic in the courtroom?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I have never sang the praise of Ferrari! Yes, I prefer Ferrari over Porsche but I do not push the issue. All the pro Porsche posters have raised the issue regarding Ferrari because I own a Ferrari.

ta-taaaa-chann!! you have just entered.... the twilight zone!!!

As to the rest of you post, Ben has "placed the dots over the i's" as we say here, well said.

Quote:
    nberry said:I have never sang the praise of Ferrari! Yes, I prefer Ferrari over Porsche but I do not push the issue.

This is a classic. It almost ranks right up there with "I did not have sex with that woman... Ms. Lewinsky".

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:

This is a classic. It almost ranks right up there with "I did not have sex with that woman... Ms. Lewinsky".

Hehe...indeed. Or "I never inhaled..." LOL!
    Nick just scored a clear 10 on the BS-meter

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764549 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436637 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261104 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258017 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82681 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877005 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809093 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM