Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Pictures of the "infamous" PSE and sound cut-off "mod"

Now here are two pictures of the Porsche Sport Exhaust before install. You can see that it comes with new rear pipes and a cable which is needed for DME control.
    Yes, the new sport exhaust is controlled by the DME.

BUT: it seems that we found a "fix" for the sound cut-off in the 50-80 kph range. We're not sure about this and we don't know if the DME will show an error sooner or later but it should work.

The second picture shows what has to be disconnected to "enable" permanent full sound. Again: this is not a confirmed "fix" but theoretically, it should work.

Re: Pictures of the "infamous" PSE and sound cut-off "mod"

Has anyone tried it?

BTW: it is possible that if you remove the duct to the vacuum hose, the sound will be "on" permanently, even if the sport sport button is turned off. As soon as we tried it, I'll post the result.
    Right now I decided to drive the PSE with the original setup to see how good (or bad) it is like that.

Quote:
    RC said:
    BTW: it is possible that if you remove the duct to the vacuum hose, the sound will be "on" permanently, even if the sport sport button is turned off. As soon as we tried it, I'll post the result.
    Right now I decided to drive the PSE with the original setup to see how good (or bad) it is like that.

Great RC!
    Thank you!
    Looking forward to read your review and opinion!

Rennteam R&D rocks .

Very cool! hope the trick works!

SO WE ARE ALL WAITING....!!!!! lets see the results and your review!!

...and let us hear the noise , please!

Ok RC....is right that you do your tries...but the good thing would be if the sound kit would function for the ON/OFF and when it is "ON" it is always open!

Why buy a such system for leave it always deactivated? So it's simple to buy a less heavy and more performant "aftermarket" product...NO?!?

Quote:
    Black Diamond said:
    Ok RC....is right that you do your tries...but the good thing would be if the sound kit would function for the ON/OFF and when it is "ON" it is always open!

Why buy a such system for leave it always deactivated? So it's simple to buy a less heavy and more performant "aftermarket" product...NO?!?

It's been discussed many times.

For legal reasons Porsche cannot bend the noise limitations laws, hence the cut out between 50 and 80 kmh or something like that.
    Noise emissions for EU are actually calculated at 80 kmh in 5th or 6th gear I think.

For the After market exhaust, it's not a problem at all because they are not concerned with EU regulations.
    And of course, they void the warranty.

Actually you can get fined in France when your exhaust is too loud!
    Police have special machines that calculate the db amount, very frequent with sports bikes, but I only know one car driver to who it happened, it was a F360 with Tubi exhaust.

This is why the switch trick annoyed Porsche, it was easily bypassed at the dealership (looks like it's not too hard with the 997 either keep fingers crossed).

But that's also why my dealership (owned by Porsche AG) made me sign a responsability discharde claiming that I was 100% responsible for the use of my sport exhaust, especially whitin an agglomeration.
    There you go.

Ok, sorry for my english, because I think you've not understand what I mean...

RC is talking about modify the PSE for getting it "all times open"...well...the best for me may be to modify it for being "always open" when you switch it "ON" and "always close" when you put it in "OFF" position.

Hope to be clear...

Remains the fact that Ferrari with standard Exaust sounds best than Porsches...but I've yield before the facts...

i got your point Black Diamond,
    i would too like to have my exhaust open when i want but kep the possibility to close it with the button

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    This is why the switch trick annoyed Porsche, it was easily bypassed at the dealership (looks like it's not too hard with the 997 either keep fingers crossed).

Why would it bother Porsche? Would they get fined if they made it too easy for others to bypass the system? Not a criticism of your statement but just a question.

i think you are correct SoCal Alan

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

Why would it bother Porsche? Would they get fined if they made it too easy for others to bypass the system? Not a criticism of your statement but just a question.

No they wouldn't get fined which is why the exhaust is IMHO so easily deconnectable from the DME, but on the other hand, they wouldn't get EU legislation approval for the PSE without the cut off, that's how you have to look at it.
    It's all about legislation.
    BC let's face it, at least with me, my PSE is on most of the time, especially at low speeds when I can heat it actually!
    Past 150 kmh, wind noise comes in.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

No they wouldn't get fined which is why the exhaust is IMHO so easily deconnectable from the DME, but on the other hand, they wouldn't get EU legislation approval for the PSE without the cut off, that's how you have to look at it.
    It's all about legislation.
    BC let's face it, at least with me, my PSE is on most of the time, especially at low speeds when I can heat it actually!
    Past 150 kmh, wind noise comes in.

My theory is that Porsche didn't intentionally make the system more difficult to bypass. I believe that the solution they come up with to remotely turn on and off the system (and especially to do it within certain speeds) was to control a solenoid within the exhaust system with a single signal from the DME. As a result, it's a cleaner solution but a pain in the ass for us who want the thing on all the time when a switch is turned on. Unfortunately, as a result, it would seem to me that a solution is not that simple, short of a software change to control that signal directly from the sport chrono button (no cutoff).

Anybody have wiring diagrams and schematics of the system? I wonder how many wires are going into the PSE.

Here in Switzerland you don't last very long with a non aproved exaust. On the first Police check they will look at it and ask you for the registration papers.
    A few years ago lots of people changed their exaust for aftermarket, but then the controls got stricter. Some aftermarket exaust are aproved, but usualy not much lounder than the original one . When caught you get a fine , plus you have to show your car with the original exaust . I got caught a few times with my motorbikes, now I trie to stick with the rules

Cool report. Await the news.

What happened to Seven's mysterious mechanical modification ?

yes i m curious too!!!!

please continue all PSE related conversation in one thread so its easy for all of us to keep updated

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Probably the same modification as RC; mechanic unplugged the hose and forgot to plug it back

Quote:
    Danny G said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Probably the same modification as RC; mechanic unplugged the hose and forgot to plug it back

No, because according to Seven, his PSE is off when chrono sport is off and vice versa, which exactly what I would like!
    But haven't heard anything about the mod itself

who knows maybe a solution will be given from the dealers

Another way to fix the 50-80 kph cutout

If you are installing the PSE as an DIY kit, then simply do not install the speed signal wire to the cutout relay. On earlier cars this was the Pink/grey wire that went from the PSE relay to the speed signal jumper plug on the relay support bracket(this is the thing where all of the relays are under the drivers side of the dash). This allow the ability to use the switch to quiet the exhaust on demand, but will not activate the automatic cutout at speed.

If you can take a picture of the wiring harness, I can show you exactly which wire not to install.

From the picture you have in this thread, it looks like mechanics for the 997 PSE are very similar to the one for the 996.

If you have a copy of the Technical Information bulletin for retrofitting the 997 sport exhaust, there should be a table that describes the wiring assignments for the cable harness. Look to see if there is a wire called "Speedometer A Signal" or something similar. That is the wire that you do not want to hook up. Without the ability to know how fast the car is going, the relay will not activate in the 50-80 kph range.

Re: Another way to fix the 50-80 kph cutout

Thanks OE,
    Hopefully, it'll work.

But bear in mind that for the 997, PSE cut off is not speed dependant anymore but is now DME dependant which is far more complex apparently.

On Seven's car, it works fine and all we know is that the mechanics played with the DME software not the wiring system.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Thanks OE,
    Hopefully, it'll work.

But bear in mind that for the 997, PSE cut off is not speed dependant anymore but is now DME dependant which is far more complex apparently.

On Seven's car, it works fine and all we know is that the mechanics played with the DME software not the wiring system.

Yes, even though the DME SW plays a bigger part in the process, it still controls essentially the same relay system as in the 996.

I am going to see if I can get a copy of the retrofit instructions so I can provide better direction for defeating the automatic cutout.

The PSE discussion is really spread all over the forum. I said it before in another thread. The dealer told me that they just made a software upgrade. He didn't tell me any details and said don't worry that's not the final solution anyway. I'm waiting for his call that they add this additional only-PSE-on-or-off-button independent from the sport chrono button. I'm not in a hurry because at the moment I'm driving anyway in sport chrono on mode anytime and then the PSE is always on.

It's so much fun.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690681 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409896 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256093 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235344 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65726 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858614 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774845 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM