Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

SUSPICIOUS rattle from rear axle

Wwll this morning i started to drive with radio off.

So i m hearing now a suspicious rattle from the back left angle of the car..

The rattle is enought to hear at 90 km/h with closed windows.

It starts at the point that i have engaged a gear (first) and starting to release the cluth... also in small bumps of the road..

My guess is that it has something to do with the rear suspension system or the components that are envolved in movement,meaning something with the cluth or the rear axle.

What do you think could be, i m worried to go fast as it might be dangerous if the problem is with the suspension.

I did not do anything particular, just i drove yesterday 10 km with the SPORT mode PASM..

Any feedback appreciated

i guess i just joined the problems list

Re: SUSPICIOUS rattle from rear axle

Could also be the exhaust ? Probably the ride with PASM off was rougher and knocked something loose...

you mean with PASM on,no ots not the exhaust i checked its sounds like an elasti metal something like a small spring

I get that as well, but with mine it seems to be worse when the car is cold at low speeds - once it's warmed up it improves although you do hear it over bumps. My suspicion is exhaust.

Let your dealer check your car as aoon as possible.
    I had a loud rattle noise too on my former 996 C4 PK and it was a bolt which has broken, a bolt connecting the rear swaybar to the rear shock absorber (sorry, I don't have the correct english word for it). A very dangerous situation.
    It may prove to be nothing but let your dealer check it and make sure that your car is safe to drive.
    On my 997 Carrera S, I observed a rattle noise at idle, a noise coming from the rear. At the beginning I was pretty mad at Porsche because I thought there is something wrong with the engine. But it proved to be a loose connector on the exhaust system, it will be replaced tomorrow.

well thank you very much.

one thing i noticed was that the same noise gas generated when i pressed the right exhaust pipe downwards,,something like a small spring maybe exhaust connector..

The thing is that this noise was too small to be heard in the cockpit,so maybe its something else,i m just worried RC, because my mind is going towards sway bar connectors as you said,and i m afraid this will take time to fix

I noticed noise from the rear driver side wheel area as soon as I collected my 997s 5 weeks ago. The noise was more a thunk-clunk than a rattle and was only noticeable at speeds less than about 15 MPH and when going over bumps (even very small ones). Took it back to the dealer and went for test drive with their workshop manager who then diagnosed faulty PASM damper - on the basis he could not see anything else wrong. Had damper replaced 10 days ago.

Noise is noticeably improved but I still have a slight intermittent noise from same area at low speed. Also ever since delivery I sometimes get a very loud single thunk when going over a pothole. Went back to the dealer on Friday and had another drive with workshop manager who thinks remaining noises are "normal for 997" ! Thinks loud thunk is probably sudden up/down movement of engine compartment cover, offered to keep car two days to investigate but I have decided to see what happens over next few weeks.

So maybe you have a PASM damper problem.

Anyone else notice thunk over potholes?

cant understand what is "thunk over potholes" please explain

Now this is really interesting - if indeed the "thunk" noise is a faulty rear damper, that may explain the "PASM failure" message I experienced a few weeks ago when my suspension went into failsafe mode. I figured it was an electronics glitch, but I guess the electronics could in fact have been telling the truth.

Which dealer are you using? - Porsche East London couldn't find a fault when I took the car in last time (early March).

Quote:
    rh997 said:
    Anyone else notice thunk over potholes?

Welcome to the Club.
    Fortunately enough, we don't have many potholes over here in my region.
    BTW: I have the 20 mm suspension option, not PASM.

You may have some loose heat shielding around the exhaust area...no big deal....If it's your PASM I think you'd have got an OBC message.....It would certainly have logged a fault, so when the dealer hooks up the computer, I'm sure he'll be able to tell if it's PASM

The best way I can explain the sound is that it is exactly like the noise a large heavy loose object in the boot (sorry trunk in USA!) makes when it lifts up and drops down again when driving over a pot hole

I live in cheshire the dealer is the Porsche Center in Wilmslow. The faulty damper was not found directly it was more a case of the mechanic listening to the noise and then having a good look around the car including underneath but without actually removing anything. He concluded it was the damper because he could not see anything loose/wrong

I have the same noise (one of a few noises) with my car.
    My car will see service in the next days. i will inform you if we find the source earlier.

i believe mine is coming fron the exhaust connector

So what has happened with all these rattles or thunks?

My 996 Targa has about 11,000 km on it and after about 7,000 I started hearing rattles and thunks. My conclusion, from surfing this and other forums and the PCA website, is that 911's simply have these noises, probably a function of the sporty suspension set up. Has anyone had a 996 or 997 that was free of noises?

-SB

mine was from the exhaust ,and i hope they are right

Dilinger, I also have a rattle coming from the rear left of my 06 C2S whenever I go over a bump or pothole on the roads. Your last post says that it was thought to be from the exhaust. Could you confirm that the noise is gone and that it was in fact a problem with the exhaust? What did the dealer do to fix it? Thanks!

gmp it was from the exhaust , i think, but as time passed it has gone away and i did not notice it anymore...

but on the other hand it might be the fact that other rattles make more noise and overcome this old sound from the exhaust, dont know what to say for sure..

but if its only from the exhaust dont worry, just check that the suspension is working right!

Sunroof

Had the same thing with my car and I thought it was a loose shock absorber or sway bar or exhaust. Turned out to be none of the above. The offender was the rear edge of the sunroof rattling every time I went over a bump. Dealer installed new trim pieces to stop the rattles. Still does it, but does it much less often.

Does heat or cold make it better or worse? I doubt it if it is anything dangerous. if it's a rattle and not squeak, it's most probably your exhaust system. A car that new would be doubtful to have a bad shock or spring. Drive it a while, if the car has very low miles on it, some of these problems work themselves out :0

Thanks Dilinger! When the snow stops here and the roads are clear, I'll head to the dealer to have them take a look that the suspension is OK.

I have had a clunk from the rear but the dealer reckons its something to do with the motor armature for the spoiler. My 996 did it and so does my 997s. I had everything checked underneath and in the engine compartment but all was well. Our wonderful British roads (see Clarkson on Top Gear site) reveal anything which will rattle/fall off. Every Porsche I drive in the UK develops rattles unless you drive like a nun but the next big bump normally settles it down for a while! Driving to Stuttgart no rattles, clunks or fizzes! It didn't dare to do it so close to it's maker!

My 996 was (is) rattling in the rear, took it in and it was coming from the the rear handbrake drum. You could only hear it at low speeds over bumps (cobblestones esp!) but its noticeable.. They tightend things up but it still make noise, when I apply the handbrake it goes away so thats definately it. So I just drive it mon!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802488 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448323 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265880 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89889 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6363 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885255 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831757 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM