Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 992 GT3

Chevrolet Corvette C8 Stingray vs Porsche 992 GT3 Touring (PDK)

HHR Lap Time:

1:55,9 / 1:51,8

Vmax (Km/h):

239 / 255

Acceleration:

0-80: 2,6 / 2,5
    0-100: 3,5 / 3,3
    0-120: 4,8 / 4,4
    0-130: 5,5 / 5,0
    0-140: 6,2 / 5,7
    0-160: 8,0 / 7,1
    0-180: 10,1 / 8,9
    0-200: 12,9 / 10,9
    0-220: 16,3 / 13,6
    0-240: 20,7 / 16,8
    0-260: 28,5 / 21,4

1/4 Mile: 11,7 / 11,3

Braking:

100-0 (Cold): 34,8 m / 33,5 m
    130-0 (Cold/Warm): 57,7 m / 57,6 m | 55,5 m / 55,0 m

Slalom 18m (TC/ESP) On/Off: 70,2 / 70,5 | 72,8 / 73,1 (Km/h)

Weight: 1,669 kg / 1,467 kg

Tires: Michelin PS4S / Michelin PSC2

Price As Tested (Euro): 92,500 / 193,950

Thank you for sharing ! So, one gets a sportscar at half the price and let us say, with 90 % of the fun of a GT3…well done, Corvette! Still, l am a Porsche fanboy and would rather own a GT3. 

d997h:

Thank you for sharing ! So, one gets a sportscar at half the price and let us say, with 90 % of the fun of a GT3…well done, Corvette! Still, l am a Porsche fanboy and would rather own a GT3. 

And don't forget that most of the difference is made up by just the tires, put on those Cups2 on the Vette and the performance is all of a sudden the same... I would still take the GT3 because the fun and satisfaction you have driving it is not about performance numbers but still, credit where it's due.

Carlos from Spain:
    d997h:

And don't forget that most of the difference is made up by just the tires, put on those Cups2 on the Vette and the performance is all of a sudden the same... I would still take the GT3 because the fun and satisfaction you have driving it is not about performance numbers but still, credit where it's due.

The forthcoming Vette Z06 will likely have its own Cup2 R tires and very high performance (still less expensive than GT3).

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I admire Corvettes, and have several friends who own and track them. Those same friends love Porsches as well. A mutual admiration society, and friendly competitors on our local tracks. Two entirely different driving experiences, but only one type of enthusiastic driver wink

presume we don't get the same value in the UK (if at all?)

--

991.2 C2S Cab, X3 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

This just in, seems that in order to speed production of GT3s back up given the supply chain shortages, Porsche is borrowing parts from VW ...

indecision

https://www.yankodesign.com/2022/03/24/volkswagen-beetle-merges-with-the-porsche-911-gt3-in-this-wildly-exciting-concept/

Actually looks lighter and more nimble.  Now exhale Herbie!  

But compared to the 996/997, you can really see the bloat.

YM-mods-pg-17.jpg

Carlos from Spain:

This just in, seems that in order to speed production of GT3s back up given the supply chain shortages, Porsche is borrowing parts from VW ...

indecision

https://www.yankodesign.com/2022/03/24/volkswagen-beetle-merges-with-the-porsche-911-gt3-in-this-wildly-exciting-concept/

And the 992 GT3 still look fatter than this Beetle.........🤦🏻‍♂️

That's how bad the styling and proportions of the 992 is. 

--

Drove the 992 GT3 again at the track this weekend and as expected there was more speed to be found in fast corners.  It has been really entertaining to creep up on the limits of this car (1 second faster than my first outing).  The tricky part is that you have to be clean or you lose the downforce with yaw.  On one corner I was sloppy and got sideways and then it really started to move around since the downforce falls away - luckily there was enough tarmac to gather it up.  But this car really wants you to drive fast and clean.  The 73 911 is more playful (getting a little sideways in that car slows the car a bit in the corner and helps you make the corner if you enter too fast.  In the 992, you don't want to do that.

I think it'll take many more days before I find my best lap with this car.  Which is what you want - not nearly as interesting to buy a fast car that just requires you to press your right foot harder to set personal best lap.

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Thanks for the report Grant!

--

turbolite

Grant:

Which is what you want - not nearly as interesting to buy a fast car that just requires you to press your right foot harder to set personal best lap.

+1 Smiley

Thanks for the feedback Grant. I think you are probably right in your analysis.

I reinstated the factory aero settings and immediately the car was more playful into corners. On our tracks it suits my driving style better.

Im probably not good enough to enter the same corner with the exact same line and speed (this downforce) every time and make the same precise steering and brake input to beable to finesse the aero benefit. Or Im too old and lazy..

Either way the improved precision of the front end combined with the lack of almost any understeer, has meant a small improvement in lap times so far with a reduction in on the limit "risk". I think the savings could be improved by being a bit braver with braking points and carrying a little more speed now we have a mechanical grip advantage (tyre footprint, static camber etc).

I have one more track day left on the factory sized tyres then will be fitting a set of 265/325 Cup2 N2 spec. Im keen to see how this works.

Ive spoken with two regular 992 GT3 track drivers, one who has managed 14+ track days (many at the same track he is a member of) and he is now using the RS combo exclusively saying that the compound is stickier, the pressures easier to manage and his lap times he believes are around 0.5s quicker a lap. 

Im not sure but will try them myself and report back. If they are better than the factory tyre I will start using them as they are a). Cheaper and b) more readily available. They looked very good on the car too with the 992 GT3 having wider rims than the 991.2 it means the tyre sits nice and flush and the N2 was released with the GT2RS so has no rim protector so a nice clean sidewall...

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2021 992 GT3, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, 2017 Macan S (Petrol)

Thanks, Mark!  I’m considering 991RS OEM tires too.  Not sure if I want Cups or Dunlops.  
    Both easier to find than 992 sizes…

Did you notice how much your Vmax increased in low downforce mode?

--

Hi guys, 

I drove for the second time the 992 GT3 last week (first time was 2 weeks ago). Unfortunately I still haven't had the chance to drive it on some proper roads nor on track. 

However, here is my feedback. I love the front end, so sharp and so communicative. The gearbox is (obviously) excellent, by its speed but also behaviour, understanding if you want to drive fast or just cruise through town. Speaking of town, the ride is pretty stiff, especially at the front and you can feel it when you are passing on some old Parisian cobblestones (I don't know if this is the right word to use). The chassis seems so competent in every way. smiley

And there is the engine, which to me, is too compromised for the road if you are not going uber-fast. Not much is happening under 5500 rpm, neither power nor torque. This engine is simply set like a true race engine, everything up in the rev range, what you use the most on track. It doesn't feel special when you are going at normal speed but once you send it, it is really really good (even if I find it too linear). I love the sound, even with the OPF, mandatory in France, it sounds nice. Unfortunately, it seems that some vibrations got lost between the 991.2 and the 992. yes

On open roads the GT3 is like a political prisoner, it cannot express itself, however, once on track (I think) it is full freedom of speech! 

You will find a selection of pictures down below and as you can see I am not such a good photographer. There is also the new RS3 that I had on test last week. An odd car, excellent engine but everything around it just seemed meh. And so it felt unfinished... cheeky

B2F7D8E5-A47C-4604-8DC4-BD04C3DBE4E8.heic
    067DAFFA-83E9-468D-BCDB-E926DFAADD4D.heic
    866953FE-A375-4FE2-8F17-2A6C9D380A92.heic
    B9A73E2D-E5C0-4BD2-B00F-37F6C3208E46.heic

Pictures:IMG_3774.jpeg
    IMG_3770.jpeg
    IMG_3764.jpeg
    IMG_3779.jpeg

Like a political prisoner on the road - perfect!!  
    great pictures!  Yes - cobblestones. Love the color combo at night

no speed limit = freedom of speech , I’m your biggest fan now. 

Hey HugoF,

thanks for your report. I agree with your statements regarding front end and transmission, one very communicative and responsive, the other one very quick.

I personally love the engine although i couldn’t rev it all the way yet; it is super responsive and has a wonderful sound/noise even at lower revs. Feels always special at any speed, unlike a normal 991 or 992. 
    Objectively these have more power and are faster down below but who cares. When I change into my 991.2 it feels like i just  traded some great running sneakers for slippers. Everthing feels loose and is reacting slowly. 

Great car so far and I’m very happy with it!

E179223C-55A9-47DC-8305-CF5C62F4DDEA.jpeg

--

turbolite

Gidday Grant. Yip. My AIM data confirms average around +3-3.5kmph on our local back straight which is approximately 1.1km. I think that would be 4-5kmph on a longer straight. That's with rear wing set 4 and front set 3 as per Manthey. 

Mostly what I preferred with the wing set back to low drag was how more adjustable the rear was on turn in to corner entry under trail braking. The car moves around a little more which Im sure isnt beneficial to a pro who can time their next steering input perfectly but for me it felt more natural. I think I just need to get out of my comfort zone a bit to use full aero. Its just its all happening at the fastest point on the track where there is very little room for error!

I think what Im gaining on te straight vs what Im loosing through the corner at this point are about equal. However if I can grow the balls to taper off lighter on the brakes after initial turn in at the end of our back straight (approx 225kmph GPS) then the straight will be bettered by the time saved through the mid apex speed over the 200m of corner I currently am trail braking into. I guess you need to build up to it. This particular corner can be tricky if you run out of brakes.

Heres a video from 5 years back in the 991.1 GT3. The 992 GT3 vMax is a little higher. Youll see the corner end of front straight in the first 15s of the video. You can see my pedal inputs and speed in the top bar.

The thing that makes it all new is the front end grip and immediacy of turn in. I have so much more front end grip now I need to figure out how I make the best use of it to be fast. Probably need to carry more speed to see if I can get to the point where it washes out a buit or the rear comes around a bit more to improve the line etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gPwARYZODg

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2021 992 GT3, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, 2017 Macan S (Petrol)

Very difficult to get an allocation for a GT3 in my region, so I went for a new GTS. Hope it feels in between the softer 992S, and the GT3.

Porsche are masters in finding niches we didn’t know existed… GTS will be the better daily driver than the GT3 and still pretty sharp! So don’t worry…

--

turbolite

macca993:

Gidday Grant. Yip. My AIM data confirms average around +3-3.5kmph on our local back straight which is approximately 1.1km. I think that would be 4-5kmph on a longer straight. That's with rear wing set 4 and front set 3 as per Manthey. 

Mostly what I preferred with the wing set back to low drag was how more adjustable the rear was on turn in to corner entry under trail braking. The car moves around a little more which Im sure isnt beneficial to a pro who can time their next steering input perfectly but for me it felt more natural. I think I just need to get out of my comfort zone a bit to use full aero. Its just its all happening at the fastest point on the track where there is very little room for error!

I think what Im gaining on te straight vs what Im loosing through the corner at this point are about equal. However if I can grow the balls to taper off lighter on the brakes after initial turn in at the end of our back straight (approx 225kmph GPS) then the straight will be bettered by the time saved through the mid apex speed over the 200m of corner I currently am trail braking into. I guess you need to build up to it. This particular corner can be tricky if you run out of brakes.

Heres a video from 5 years back in the 991.1 GT3. The 992 GT3 vMax is a little higher. Youll see the corner end of front straight in the first 15s of the video. You can see my pedal inputs and speed in the top bar.

The thing that makes it all new is the front end grip and immediacy of turn in. I have so much more front end grip now I need to figure out how I make the best use of it to be fast. Probably need to carry more speed to see if I can get to the point where it washes out a buit or the rear comes around a bit more to improve the line etc.

Thanks for info and nice video, Mark Smiley

--

turbolite:

Hey HugoF,

thanks for your report. I agree with your statements regarding front end and transmission, one very communicative and responsive, the other one very quick.

I personally love the engine although i couldn’t rev it all the way yet; it is super responsive and has a wonderful sound/noise even at lower revs. Feels always special at any speed, unlike a normal 991 or 992. 
    Objectively these have more power and are faster down below but who cares. When I change into my 991.2 it feels like i just  traded some great running sneakers for slippers. Everthing feels loose and is reacting slowly. 

Your car is one the best Touring I have seen yet . Oak green metallic ? 

macca993:

What happens in that corner if you end up in the grass ? 

Gnil:
    turbolite:

Hey HugoF,

Indeed, looks brilliant!

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

Porker:
    Gnil:
    turbolite:

Indeed, looks brilliant!

+1 Smiley

Very good looking indeed.

bluelines:
    Porker:
    Gnil:
    turbolite:

Indeed, looks brilliant!

+1 Smiley

Very good looking indeed.

+2 Smiley

+3 gorgeous 

Congrats 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691021 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410150 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256213 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235409 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858802 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775109 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM