Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2022] Formula 1

kudryavchik:

...You are very annoying and like many women can't stop, you repeat the same thing again again and again. 

Just making a mental note to also add women to the disrespected/generalized group. Smiley

JoeRockhead:

This thread has become ponderous. 

+1. Can we start yet another Formula 1 thread? Something like "[2022] Formula 1 RacingNotFlaming"?

KMM:
    JoeRockhead:

This thread has become ponderous. 

+1. Can we start yet another Formula 1 thread? Something like "[2022] Formula 1 RacingNotFlaming"?

No need, I hope that all offensive case is closed. 

kudryavchik:

There are no engine problems on Honda side. 

Luv u 2 

Just a fuel pump issue from the FIA standard issue assembly required for use by all teams.  Therefore, this problem may not be limited to Red Bull. 

Something a bit different.  A brief YouTube video of the machining of a mono nut for a Formula One team.  The video shows how specialized these parts are on the cars.  https://youtu.be/Fe1fUHECyt4

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.tech-tuesday-the-power-unit-gains-behind-ferraris-bahrain-grand-prix-1-2.3wrMg69X1kw0...

So it would seems Ferrari has aced it's engine development. Even without going to a split turbo setup.

It basically used the Porsche 919 strategy, stronger corner exit to gain a lasting advantage for the whole straight while giving up terminal speed. Red Bull can attained a higher ultimate top speed but it's playing catch up on the whole straight. 

Now if Mercedes does't get it done with car setup this year, it will be just the same as last few years, a two horse race team wise and 3 horse race driver wise, Hamilton's skills and experience can only make up so much ground. 

Not a bad thing, we got a whole bunch of young guns eyeing the ultimate prize. Verstappen lucked out last year, but this year LeClerc and Sainz got a really strong horse under them. Norris it would seem is stuck with a hobbled one. Russell's aren't that much better. Gasly could be the dark horse, to dethrone Verstappen but would Horner let him?

--

https://youtu.be/EUK7_qRuroM

Jolyon Palmer on Max vs Charles.

Basically Charles was just toying with Max, using his brain instead of brute force like Max. And Max didn't learn anything at all for 3 laps.

But I think Max really matured since last season, at least for the first race. Bet 1/2 the people watching the race real time would have thought Max would just plow into Charles at least a couple times already during their duel, doing the trademark Max move, aka bull in a china shop move. 

Let's see if his good conduct continues this weekend in Saudi. But really, I am mightily impressed by his matured driving. A big round of applause from me to him.

--

Whoopsy:

But I think Max really matured since last season, at least for the first race. Bet 1/2 the people watching the race real time would have thought Max would just plow into Charles at least a couple times already during their duel, doing the trademark Max move, aka bull in a china shop move. 

Let's see if his good conduct continues this weekend in Saudi. But really, I am mightily impressed by his matured driving. A big round of applause from me to him.

From my point of view he adjusts to his counterpart. I am somewhat surprised that you picture HAM as the clean, respectful racer you want him to be. Both of them, VER and HAM, have a trait that has been seen in Senna as well. Hamilton has done the same with other competitors, e.g. Rosberg that has been criticized of being to mellow in these situations, and when ROS decided to raise the opposition what happened? They crashed.

Why hasn't there been any crashes of VER with other drivers, such as Hamilton´s teammate Bottas, or Leclerc and Sainz? Because they behave differently. HAM on the other hand has had clashes with other drivers on track, wasn't there also some issue with Massa a few years ago where they got into altercations during several races?

Apparently the issue was not with the standard parts but RedBulls implementation of them.  But apparently a fix is already cooked up by them.

Whoopsy:

I thought the same of Max early last year, I started to warm up to him as he did appear more mature.   However as the pressure increased as the year progressed he reverted to Mad Max and I lost respect for him.   So lets see if he reverts again this year if the battle continues all season as I hope it does either as two or three horse race.

thuggy:

I thought the same of Max early last year, I started to warm up to him as he did appear more mature.   However as the pressure increased as the year progressed he reverted to Mad Max and I lost respect for him.   So lets see if he reverts again this year if the battle continues all season as I hope it does either as two or three horse race.

Completely agree. To be fair, it needs a little bit more to push a 7 times champ of the throne than just fair racing. I can somehow undestand that under such pressure, you do not stay clean all the time. With 7 titles, no need to prove anything anymore...

Max was the more successful driver in 2021. He had bad luck in Baku and was pushed in Silverstone as well.

Just to mention, I am not a Max fanboy, more the Ferrari guy, they currently have such a cool driver combo.

Ferdie:
    Whoopsy:

From my point of view he adjusts to his counterpart. I am somewhat surprised that you picture HAM as the clean, respectful racer you want him to be. Both of them, VER and HAM, have a trait that has been seen in Senna as well. Hamilton has done the same with other competitors, e.g. Rosberg that has been criticized of being to mellow in these situations, and when ROS decided to raise the opposition what happened? They crashed.

Why hasn't there been any crashes of VER with other drivers, such as Hamilton´s teammate Bottas, or Leclerc and Sainz? Because they behave differently. HAM on the other hand has had clashes with other drivers on track, wasn't there also some issue with Massa a few years ago where they got into altercations during several races?

It's not just me saying that Hamilton is a clean racer. You will be hard pressed to find a racing commentator that say otherwise, over the years. The wording used is hard but fair, aggressive yet clean. 

From the beginning when Max first arrived, he has shown he is the hyper aggressive one, will resort to anything in order to get the job done, moving in the brake zone, weaving wildly on straights and dive bombing on the inside, etc. Everyone on grid throughout the years knows that and most of the time they just avoid him in order not to be crashed out. For some yet that's like exciting racing, a breath of fresh air so speak, that's how people started to like him. Hamilton had been like that for early 2021 but he simply just had enough and stood up to him at Silverstone. 

Personally, I think Max is a Michael Schumacher type racer. He has the potential to be just as successful for sure.

--

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-24 at 7.03.06 PM.jpeg

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

CGX car nut:
    kudryavchik:

There are no engine problems on Honda side. 

Luv u 2 

Just a fuel pump issue from the FIA standard issue assembly required for use by all teams.  Therefore, this problem may not be limited to Red Bull. 

Is the fuel pump a standard eqipment? I thought only the fuel flow sensors. Not sure there.

As I have read the temperature of e10 fuel is higher than of non ethanol one (also its density is lower), so when the tank was almost empty the fuel started to vapor, resulting the creation of air bubles in the fuel system. 

Whoopsy:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.tech-tuesday-the-power-unit-gains-behind-ferraris-bahrain-grand-prix-1-2.3wrMg69X1kw0...

So it would seems Ferrari has aced it's engine development. Even without going to a split turbo setup.

It basically used the Porsche 919 strategy, stronger corner exit to gain a lasting advantage for the whole straight while giving up terminal speed. Red Bull can attained a higher ultimate top speed but it's playing catch up on the whole straight. 

Now if Mercedes does't get it done with car setup this year, it will be just the same as last few years, a two horse race team wise and 3 horse race driver wise, Hamilton's skills and experience can only make up so much ground. 

Not a bad thing, we got a whole bunch of young guns eyeing the ultimate prize. Verstappen lucked out last year, but this year LeClerc and Sainz got a really strong horse under them. Norris it would seem is stuck with a hobbled one. Russell's aren't that much better. Gasly could be the dark horse, to dethrone Verstappen but would Horner let him?

About 919 engine strategy, it is a very interestiong thing. The ers strategy deployment of both 919 and r18 is almost incomparable to F1

First, lmp1 cars ers system had 80% of ice power deployment. In case of f1, its 800 hp for ice and 160 for ers. So with lmp1 ers was used to accelerate the car (these were the fastest accelerating cars ever) and ice power was used to keep up the speed.

Second, the fuel flow of lmp1 cars was much much stricter, they used 20-30% less fuel energy per lap - less fuel flow + e20 fuel that has lower btu. So lmp1 cars were much much more dependant on ers. If there was no dieselgate, vw wanted ers to be more powerful than ice, porsche team had already run on testing the 2nd kers on rear axle (so 3 ers systems, in addition to front kers and exhaust e-turbine) 

Third, F1 car sends all its torque from real axle, so you are limited in giving more power throught the rear wheels with the grip of rear tyres. Lmp1 cars (except toyota which had also rear kers) were distributing the power to 4 wheels. So in their case giving all power on exit was reasonable. In case of f1 not

Fourth, if ferrari used more power on exit it would have shown better acceleration time than others in 150-250 kph range. 

However everything is possible, lmp1 cars were much more advanced in hybrid tech, however f1 regs allow more freedom in strategy deployment, f. e. you can deploy the power directly from turbine to kers avoiding the battery (more inertia on turbine so less power from ice, but anyway.)

Below is 2015 data

Screenshot_20220324-223621_YandexDisk.jpg

1648158726311Screenshot_20220324-223546_YandexDisk.jpg

To me it was a wonder when I saw last year that ferrari shifted from 400 volt to 800 volt ers so late (end of 2021 season). Lmp1 had 800 volts from 2014-2015. Also 919 had 6 phase kers (3+3 parallel) vs 3 phases in f1. Technologically 919 was a wonder, in many cases miles ahead of others. Its radiators used graphene f.e. 

kudryavchik:
    Whoopsy:

About 919 engine strategy, it is a very interestiong thing. The ers strategy deployment of both 919 and r18 is almost incomparable to F1

First, lmp1 cars ers system had 80% of ice power deployment. In case of f1, its 800 hp for ice and 160 for ers. So with lmp1 ers was used to accelerate the car (these were the fastest accelerating cars ever) and ice power was used to keep up the speed.

Second, the fuel flow of lmp1 cars was much much stricter, they used 20-30% less fuel energy per lap - less fuel flow + e20 fuel that has lower btu. So lmp1 cars were much much more dependant on ers. If there was no dieselgate, vw wanted ers to be more powerful than ice, porsche team had already run on testing the 2nd kers on rear axle (so 3 ers systems, in addition to front kers and exhaust e-turbine) 

Third, F1 car sends all its torque from real axle, so you are limited in giving more power throught the rear wheels with the grip of rear tyres. Lmp1 cars (except toyota which had also rear kers) were distributing the power to 4 wheels. So in their case giving all power on exit was reasonable. In case of f1 not

Fourth, if ferrari used more power on exit it would have shown better acceleration time than others in 150-250 kph range. 

However everything is possible, lmp1 cars were much more advanced in hybrid tech, however f1 regs allow more freedom in strategy deployment, f. e. you can deploy the power directly from turbine to kers avoiding the battery (more inertia on turbine so less power from ice, but anyway.)

Below is 2015 data

Screenshot_20220324-223621_YandexDisk.jpg

1648158726311Screenshot_20220324-223546_YandexDisk.jpg

Real time TV feed doesn't lie. Verstappen was only faster at the end of the straight where it's higher terminal speed advantage can shine, but it's too little too late when it's playing catching for the whole straight. 

Quite an universal opinion that the Ferrari engine is the strongest among the 4 manufacturers, not much up for debate really. Same with Mercedes running behind the Hondas. 

it's the same strategy with Porsche's RSR vs other GT cars. The Porsche simply can lay on the power early to gain a lasting advantage, but BoP sort of even things out in other parts of a lap. 

Laps times is about area under the curve, if one can maximize the area early then the other cars are just going to be paying catch up all day.

--

During Jeddah FP1 heart

~11km

FP2:

Tsunoda with engine(?) problems

https://streamable.com/yhimd3

Topspeed:

During Jeddah FP1 heart

~11km

I’d like to say I’m shocked that the race is not postponed.   But the fact there is even a race there shows F1 priorities. 

Race to go on regardless of drivers’ concerns about safety.  This is astonishing naive and irresponsible on the FIA.  https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/60880598

WTH is wrong with Hamilton's car. heart

Great performance from Checo.

Certainly, something wrong with Ham or with his setup. 

About the engine performance. Red Bull is certainly faster on straights, ferrari better on corners. If we look strap speed, its almost the same for all manufacturers - 324-326 kph. Probably renault is a bit weaker. But Honda, RB and Merc are on par. Clearly, engine performance will not be the decision maker this season, only reliability on working with new fuel.

The ones who will get rid of porpoising and be stable will win.  

Looks like F1's plan on neutering the champion and helping those behind is working. The Mercedes just isn't competitive at all. 

Russell, what a drive in the unwieldy pig. 

Tsunoda was the only one spared at Bharain, yet he is the only one with trouble at Saudi. How good, or how bad is the reliability for the Hondas. Ferrari is still the benchmark for 2022, combination of power and handling. 

But what happened to Max, got out qualified by Perez?!?! Not to mention Leclerc and Sainz. 

--

Whoopsy:

Looks like F1's plan on neutering the champion and helping those behind is working. The Mercedes just isn't competitive at all. 

Why on earth do you see a feud against Mercedes and Hamilton behind that? They race entirely new cars this season and obviously Mercedes did an inferior job to Red Bull or Ferrari. What about Aston Martin and McLaren, was there also a plan to neuter them? 

Knowing Mercedes, I am pretty sure that they will improve over the course of the season. Russell stated himself that the performance window, where the car works well, is very, very narrow and Hamilton obviously missed that window significantly.

Of course there was no plan to neuter anyone, simply the new regulations. I wonder why nobody simulated the possibility of porpoising. Mercedes has made the clear stake on downforce and lost (for now). They have to find the balance between df and porpoising. Their talk on drag is bla bla, ground effect is mostly free df, of course every kind of df gives some rolling resistance, but it is not the aero drag. Aero drag is given by wheels, wings and cooling (things that increase the frontal area) . Merc has an advantage here with slim sidepods.

About RB, front pullrod decreases the steering sensitivity (in theory), making the car more "understeery". Max style is about to steer the nose in corner earlier, so now he needs to change the style a bit.

Also, I think, FIA should introduce the active suspension. Current cars are potentially dangerous with simple coil springs. For remind, even the pneumatic suspension solutions are banned now. 

Ferdie:
    Whoopsy:

Why on earth do you see a feud against Mercedes and Hamilton behind that? They race entirely new cars this season and obviously Mercedes did an inferior job to Red Bull or Ferrari. What about Aston Martin and McLaren, was there also a plan to neuter them? 

Knowing Mercedes, I am pretty sure that they will improve over the course of the season. Russell stated himself that the performance window, where the car works well, is very, very narrow and Hamilton obviously missed that window significantly.

Why would you think I am implying FIA is targeting Mercedes? Or Hamilton? Might want to take off the bias goggles first. Stop being so easily triggered. And don't put words I didn't say in my mouth.

Mercedes isn't my favourite team, Ferrari is. McLaren second. Heck, I can throw in Williams as my 3rd favourite team. At best Mercedes only ranked 4th. 

I favour Hamilton just because he isn't the typical privileged drivers that has a silver spoon feeding them everything. He worked up the ranks purely by his ability and hard work. He had zero connections to anything when he first started out, no ex F1 driver as a father, no billionaire father to bankroll, no big money sponsor behind his back. He has earned every single drop of respect and success by himself. But that's as far as it goes for my like in him. His off track stuff, non-racing related stuff, I can't say I totally agreed with. 

The regulation was designed to neuter whoever wins the championship and boosts the bottom teams. F1's version of BoP.  Last year as it happens, it was Mercedes winning so they are the one that got neutered. Well they have been winning many times in a row so their overall development time for the last few years had been less than everyone else. 

It was a double whammy for them as this year's car is all new and the lack of development time really hurts. 

Had it been Red Bull winning the constructor, it would have been them that got neutered. Or Ferrari. 

By finishing last, Haas got a boost in their development time, and it shows, they are up in the mid field now, not at the bottom. Also helps that they have the new powerful Ferrari engines.

I like the FIA's approach to mixing up the grid, if it works, there won't be 'dynasties' like Red Bull, Ferrari, and Mercedes. Every team will have a chance and more of the talented young guns will have a shot at the title. I would love to see Leclerc, Sainz, Norris, Russell all win a WDC in the coming years. Heck, even Ocon too. Albon might not quite be up there with these bunch but it will be nice to see him win a race like how Gassy did, and I would also love to see Zhou win a race also.

--

Whoopsy:

The regulation was designed to neuter whoever wins the championship and boosts the bottom teams. F1's version of BoP.  Last year as it happens, it was Mercedes winning so they are the one that got neutered. Well they have been winning many times in a row so their overall development time for the last few years had been less than everyone else. 

The changes in regulation are just that... changes. Some teams adapt better to them, others worse. That has always been the case, as has been several changes over the course of time: dismissal of active suspension, change in wing shape and size, change of vehicle proportions, change to grooved tires, dismissal of grooved tires, dismissal of mass damper system, change to V10, to V8, to V6 turbo engines, change to hybrid systems, change in aero, proportions and wheel dimensions this season... for some reason, Red Bull, which also had a competitive car, was able to stay at the top, Mercedes doesn't.  

These changes are not necessarily to burden a certain team but to improve the racing series, e.g. to reduce the lap times or cornering speeds, the speeds on the straights or to improve overtaking possibilities and loss of aerodynamic effects when following another car. That some teams will suffer due to these changes are side effects, not necessarily the main reason.

So, after all, it is due to Mercedes´ difficulties that they are uncompetitive, while other stayed or even became competitive. Still, knowing their abilities and the fact that a lot of their current situation is due to the excessive "bouncing" movement of their car, I am fairly certain that they will significantly improve. On top of that, they will surely reserve development funds to improve the remaining components that are allowed to be worked on until September 1st.

Awesome race afterall, really enjoyed the battle in the last few laps and the good spirit between Leclerc and Verstappen. Who would've thought that the Monegasse from the Mediterranean would keep his cool while the Dutchman from the cold and windy north seems a bit hot-tempered...

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM