Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 992 GT3

That looks great! The silver wheels and the clear taillights on white are very very clean look. 

wink

Enmanuel:

That looks great! The silver wheels and the clear taillights on white are very very clean look. 

wink

It is the perfect combo!  Nicely done 

Well, the color combo is not thaaat bad 😁kiss

Very nice, congrats. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Excellent!

Love the colour combo kiss

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

Very nice, congrats. Show us the stripe on the bonnet  kiss

RC:
    JR-550:

One thing is for sure I am happy got my Taycan Turbo and 911 Turbo early last year. Bought both cars with a nice discount. At the moment you are everybody’s mercy to even get a car. Got a call from my Audi dealer if he could buy my 4 years old R8 V10. This never happened to me in my live!

Yep, markets go crazy right now but if someone wants a new car in Germany, BMW seems to have still good offers in Germany. Got a good (well, for the current conditions) offer for the brand new M240i xDrive Coupe yesterday. First offer a few weeks ago was 499 EUR a month for a car worth 62k or so and now the offer was 799 EUR for a car worth 67k EUR. Expensive but compared to other offers, quite a deal. Cash deals come with a 7-9% discount, if you are a good customer over 10%. Still not bad.

I looked into it after you and I mentioned it a few weeks ago and the leases for it were horrible here. Quick no. 

congrats !

Looks great wink

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

A small update from me after 8000km and 9 track days across 5 different circuits through out New Zealand. My 992 GT3 is PDK. My previous 991.2 GT3 was manual.

The 992 GT3 is more precise on the track and as yet I have found almost no understeer even when the front tyres are very worn. I have improved my best lap times modestly but with taking far less "risk" than in the manual predecessor and with far more consistency. There is certainly more time savings to be made if the car is driven more agressively.

I dont see the need to make any changes to the sway bars with this GT3 (usually I would soften the front bar or stiffen the rear for less understeer).

Subsequent to the reduced understeer and improved front end grip is accelerated shoulder wear from the front tyres. I have had the camber adjusted to the maximum possible (without shims) of -2.5 degrees front and rear. This has extended the life of the tyre on the track by almost 20%.

On the road the increased camber makes the car darty and it tramlines on the stock road pressures of 28/30. However if you run higher pressures on the road (32/35) the tramlining is reduced significantly. The Cup2 tyres are very sensitive on the road to pressures. On the track they seem to work well around 32/34 hot. I find higher hot pressures on this car at the track help the car to be more adjustable on the throttle. One downside of all this latest mechanical grip is the reduction in playfulness. I understand the benefits on long fast tracks like Spa and Monza (and Nurburgring) but our tracks are not built like that down here - probably more like smaller European or UK tracks...

I have played with the aero however my findings on our tracks down here is that any marginal benefit from increased aero at the end of our tracks if offset by increased drag on the straights and reduced ability to rotate the car or induce some playfulness so in the end I have left the wing setting in its delivery position and prefer it this way for the majority of our NZ tracks. On the longest circuit straights in NZ I found that I could keep equal pace with a 991.2 GT3 PDK with the wing in low drag but with the highest downforce settings would loose a car length at the end of a 1km straight.

Getting replacement tyres for the 992 GT3 has been problematic. I am about to put on my third set...

The first two sets were the factory 255/315 Cup2. The rear 315 is not available here and a number of 992 GT3 track junkies have reverted to the 991.2 GT2RS Cup2 tyre sets. These are 265/325 N2 Cup2. They have a lower treadwear rating (180 vs 240) and cause no rubbing or negative handling traits. They are cheaper than the 992 factory fitment Cup2 and make only a very small difference to the rolling circumference but trade that with easy availability and 10mm wider tyre which leads to a larger tyre patch. The improvement in lap times is measurable and they look good on the car. Porsche increased the wheel width on the 992 GT3 to 9.5J and 12J so the GT2/3RS tyres fit perfectly. 

Other observations regards teh car is that the paddles now have no pronounced "indent" when you pull them. This is a retrograde step I feel as with race gloves on its hard sometimes to "feel" the paddle deploying.

I have encountered two issues with the car in 6 months of use. One side of the difusser has dropped twice during a track day. The bolt that holds it up onto the frame works loose and drops off. You should carry a spare (M5 x 20mm with wide hex head) and use locktite. Also the LHS rear brake disc backing plate started rubbing against the brake disc so needed bending.

On brakes I have RT RE10 pads and Castrol SRF fluid. The front brakes have performed well but the rotors now have grooves and small cracks. I suspect that they will last another 3 track days before they need replacing so 12 track days. The pads are 50% worn so will need changing in three track days at the same time as the rotors. The rear rotors and pads are less than 30% worn so will last twice as long as the fronts and show no grooving or cracks as yet. 12 track days for rotors and pads was what I was getting with the 991.1 GT3 PDK so this I think is acceptable although the cost of rotors has again increased with the 992 edition.

Otherwise the car is working very well. It covers ground as comfortably as the predessor IMO (subject to adjusting tyre pressure) and is a comfortable place to be for long periods. 

IMG_4324.jpgIMG_4225.jpg

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2021 992 GT3, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, 2017 Macan S (Petrol)

Here you go some more photo

4540335E-0ACD-49E6-B834-52ABA3405072.jpeg
    629E29FC-96B9-4A0C-8835-0868967F9532.jpeg
    1B815FEA-766E-4A4A-B0DA-6142F27FCC80.jpeg

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

Nice report, Mark!  I have similar findings.  I am slower in my 992 than 991.2 (both manual) with Manthey alignment (-2.5 degrees all around and full rear wing and 3/4 front aero).  However, I think I just need to be braver in the fast speed (medium, really) corners to benefit from the downforce.  I am slightly slower in a straight line now (never adjusted my 991.2 out of delivery setting for the rear wing).

Just one day so far at local track...

I am currently driving my new car like my old one and I think it simply requires pushing harder to be faster.  My brain and muscle memory is telling me where the limit is, but I think the limit is actually still further.  I think I need to consider changing my shift and braking points.

Maybe I'll conclude like you that the aero is a waste of time (and drag).  But I think there is simply a new level out there to reach (hope I don't find the wall first Smiley).

Cheers,

Grant

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Very nice looking car, many congrats. wink

Not the biggest fan of the 992, but white with silver wheels suits the car. kiss

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Grant:

Nice report, Mark!  I have similar findings.  I am slower in my 992 than 991.2 (both manual) with Manthey alignment (-2.5 degrees all around and full rear wing and 3/4 front aero).  However, I think I just need to be braver in the fast speed (medium, really) corners to benefit from the downforce.  I am slightly slower in a straight line now (never adjusted my 991.2 out of delivery setting for the rear wing).

I am currently driving my new car like my old one and I think it simply requires pushing harder to be faster.  My brain and muscle memory is telling me where the limit is, but I think the limit is actually still further.  I think I need to consider changing my shift and braking points.

Maybe I'll conclude like you that the aero is a waste of time (and drag).  But I think there is simply a new level out there to reach (hope I don't find the wall first Smiley).

Cheers,

Grant

--

Grant, Mark, interesting reporting. Given the marginal track times over the 991.2, those that paid significantly above MSRP for the 992 should be experiencing buyers remorse. The 992 is less attractive and not much faster, is at all, than the 991.2. 

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

nberry:

Grant, Mark, interesting reporting. Given the marginal track times over the 991.2, those that paid significantly above MSRP for the 992 should be experiencing buyers remorse. The 992 is less attractive and not much faster, is at all, than the 991.2. 

I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of my 992 GT3 Touring.  I find it attractive and no non-expert observer will realize how fast it really is.  Smiley

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

W8MM:
    nberry:

I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of my 992 GT3 Touring.  I find it attractive and no non-expert observer will realize how fast it really is.  Smiley

I really do find the new front suspension a very big improvement in terms of engagement and resistance to understeer.  Much more entertaining this way.  The rack seems quite a bit faster - I do wonder if Porsche did that to make a very obvious difference from all prior road 911’s - but it’s super lively.

--

Grant:

Cheers,

Grant

--

Im with you on this Grant. 

The limits are extended but Im not yet fully exploiting them.

My issue with the aero is the variability each time you enter a corner (based on speed and attack angle). Its a variable that is unknown until the level of lateral grip is explored and if Im honest I must be getting old and less daring as Im obviously still too conservative in this regard.

My 992 GT3 PDK is a little quicker on my local tracks than my prior 991.2 GT3 Manual and 991.1 Gt3 PDK but of course you would expect that and more as its a generation gap and gearbox change so I dont think Ive exploited the new chassis yet. 

All that being said with the limited number of 100mph+ sweepers on our local tracks I still feel the aero is a red herring and only really useful on faster tracks, maybe Sebring and Circuit of Amercias etc along with the Euro tracks I mentioned. Most of our tracks down here were built in the 1950s-1970s and for a different generation of cars. 

With the 991.1 GT3 and 991.2 GT3 I experimented with the rear wing and always ended up back at factory delivery settings. I guess I prefer a car that moves around a bit more under me so my non professional skillset can determine ultimate grip and traction...

For my Geo I used your Manthey settings but asked them to max out the camber. They got a little more than Porsches recommended settings. Wear on tyres now suggests that I have possible a fraction more camber than ultimately needed however as I hope to get faster I may need the few extra mm of the shoulder. The wear is much more even across the tyre now and its extended the life of the front tyres. Moving to the GT2RS tyre set will be interesting and I will report back further on the findings. All evidence suggests the compound may be a little stickier and the extra width wont harm lap times. I suspect Porsche have chosen to limit the 992 GT3 for marketing purposes with the tyre by making it a treadwear 220. They set their published laps on the CupR which I suspect remains the same compound and treadwear as before. My guess is the new RS will be wearing 275/335 combo to further distance itself from the base GT3...

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

macca and Grant, thanks for your first hand, real world reports that I always find very interesting to read.

I have not driven the 992 GT3 but what I have heard form people, is like what you says. To be really faster with this car you have to exploit the last bit of it, and that is not so easy for non pro.  Last season the times I encountered a 992 GT3 on track, i always managed to be quite a bit faster then them with my 991.2 GT3 RS, even if on paper the cars should do the same times. It could also be that each time the drivers of the 992 GT3 were not used to their car yet.

About the aero, on my RS I only start to feel the extra downforce through corners at speeds above about 160 km/h .  I love it, when I have the guts to trust the car and just push that bit more on the throttle and  feel the car planted. Such a great feeling. 

What I am a little bit surprised about, is macca mentioned cracking in the front disks. I thought that with these new disks, that don't have wholes all the way through,  disks would not crack anymore, or at least, not as fast. 

EnglishManInNY:

Here you go some more photo

4540335E-0ACD-49E6-B834-52ABA3405072.jpeg
    629E29FC-96B9-4A0C-8835-0868967F9532.jpeg
    1B815FEA-766E-4A4A-B0DA-6142F27FCC80.jpeg

Congratulations ! Glad you got it before all the mess. 

Hi Gnil.

You are correct the holes are no longer drilled through the disc. Only dimples now. However they still show heat related stress fractures throughout the rotor anualar. This is no different than you would see on a Brembo type III slotted rotor or Girodisc, AP or other. With the 992 GT3 rotor the most visible cracks are emminating from the edge of the holes. Currently none of them are joining or at risk of touching the edge of the rotor disc. It is only my guess that these will need changing after 12 full track days but in fairness I have no prior experience as reference and can find no resources on the forums to indicate how long they may last. In reality they may go a full 8 or 9 days longer which would make them almost twice as durable as the prior generation steel rotors. The only real reference I have is friends with slotted Brembo type III rotors on 991.2 GT3/RS using the same pads as me where lifespan of rotors are generally averaging around 20 full track days for the front. I do hope this is the case...

So far my 992 GT3 is no faster than the fastest 991.2 GT3 in our group. The driver of that car is a close friend and a very good driver indeed with alot of experience. If you believe the youtube videos the 992 GT3 is a completely different car with a magical front axle. Indeed the turn in is much approved and the understeer much reduced. However I think it will take some further time to transfer these traits to a benefit. I have run 8 track days at 5 different tracks so obviously only have had the chance to run the same track twice on a couple of occassions. The first 4 track days the car was on factory delivery settings including geometry and it was also a learning curve on what tyre pressures work best. The second four tracks were on fresh tyres with improved geometry and confidence was building. Before winter comes I hope to get a couple more track days on the 265/325 combo and again build on the confidence and characteristics already learned....

I suspect its a learning curve for those of us who do not have experience in trusting a car with increased aero benefits. Will just have to take a few more brave pills and push the car a little faster through a corner and brake a little less a little later and see what happens...

--

The big 992 gives a perfect slipstream…smiley.

Blueflame

80EA23DD-349D-4A87-AA2B-AE61C759C713.jpeg

Macca, very interesting post about your impressions regarding the 991.2 vs. 992 GT3.  I don’t race anymore, my eyes and reactions are just not that good anymore, but I certainly remember the comparison feeling that you have. When I got into that spot, I would find a very professional driver to drive my car and show me its true capabilities. Then you will know if the car is actually quicker/better.  Just a thought…

Wonderbar:

Macca, very interesting post about your impressions regarding the 991.2 vs. 992 GT3.  I don’t race anymore, my eyes and reactions are just not that good anymore, but I certainly remember the comparison feeling that you have. When I got into that spot, I would find a very professional driver to drive my car and show me its true capabilities. Then you will know if the car is actually quicker/better.  Just a thought…

Thats a most useful suggestion and the though crossed my mind too. Far better than having and instructor sit in the passenger seat and tell you you can brake later or can trail brake later into a corner or carry more maintenance throttle through a sweeper. Nothing quite like having a semi-pro pilot actually show you what the car can do and how it feels and reacts on that limit. I think this is probably the best way forward so will find a driver at my local track who can take me for a few laps like you suggest....

--

Thanks Macca, I hope it helps. Sure helped me at one time. My driving did improve, but the best thing was knowing how good the car was. 

A bit off thread, but I wonder if anyone here has seen, or know anyone who has gotten, a new 992 GTS? I placed a deposit down in October, and I honestly don’t know when I’ll be able to spec out the car. Hopefully in the next few weeks, for September delivery.

Gnil:

About the aero, on my RS I only start to feel the extra downforce through corners at speeds above about 160 km/h .  I love it, when I have the guts to trust the car and just push that bit more on the throttle and  feel the car planted. Such a great feeling. 

Interesting, Eric.  I think Macca and I have few to none of these 100mph corners.  If that is where the aero starts to noticeably help, it may be futile to keep the aero near max downforce settings (and the higher drag that comes with that).

But, I’m first going to try to push the envelope on the faster corners and see what I can achieve with respect to lap times.

Then I’ll return to minimum aero and compare (nice to have video with maximum straight speeds and minimum corner speeds).

It is interesting to experiment (and takes only a few minutes to change settings).  

Even if the 992 does not end up being significantly faster in my hands, I do enjoy driving the 992 more (I hate understeer and the 992 resists it so well).

The nice thing about the active aero on the forthcoming 992 RS is that there is no drag penalty (on the straights) to having max downforce in the corners…

--

macca993:

Hi Gnil.

You are correct the holes are no longer drilled through the disc. Only dimples now. However they still show heat related stress fractures throughout the rotor anualar. This is no different than you would see on a Brembo type III slotted rotor or Girodisc, AP or other. With the 992 GT3 rotor the most visible cracks are emminating from the edge of the holes. Currently none of them are joining or at risk of touching the edge of the rotor disc. It is only my guess that these will need changing after 12 full track days but in fairness I have no prior experience as reference and can find no resources on the forums to indicate how long they may last. In reality they may go a full 8 or 9 days longer which would make them almost twice as durable as the prior generation steel rotors. The only real reference I have is friends with slotted Brembo type III rotors on 991.2 GT3/RS using the same pads as me where lifespan of rotors are generally averaging around 20 full track days for the front. I do hope this is the case...

Would be good if they last like the AP or Brembo. That is what I was expecting from these new disks. Porsche brake system has a good reputation for braking power and feel, but the wear on the original rotor compared to after market is disappointing, specially considering that the after market last longer (no cracking between drilled holes) and are cheaper. The original ones can be saved a bit with one or two cooling down laps, but this is not always possible.

Thanks for your reports. It will also be interesting to see what happens with the GT2 tire. And good luck with the brave pills. Smiley

Grant:

Interesting, Eric.  I think Macca and I have few to none of these 100mph corners.  If that is where the aero starts to noticeably help, it may be futile to keep the aero near max downforce settings (and the higher drag that comes with that).

But, I’m first going to try to push the envelope on the faster corners and see what I can achieve with respect to lap times.

Then I’ll return to minimum aero and compare (nice to have video with maximum straight speeds and minimum corner speeds).

It is interesting to experiment (and takes only a few minutes to change settings).  

Even if the 992 does not end up being significantly faster in my hands, I do enjoy driving the 992 more (I hate understeer and the 992 resists it so well).

The nice thing about the active aero on the forthcoming 992 RS is that there is no drag penalty (on the straights) to having max downforce in the corners…

--

Grant, maybe the car's aero does help at lesser speeds  too ,  It could well be just me not feeling it Smiley  But one has to be pretty trained to notice it when going slower and I am not an enough good/frequent driver for that. 

I need corner like Signes at Paul Ricard, or Double Gauche (Pouhon) at Spa, or a the Ring curves like Flugplatz , Schwedenkreuz or when going down Fuchsröhre . There I feel it properly and it gives me confidence. All very fast speeds. It feels, the faster you go, the better the car is ( up to one point I don't want to find out Smiley)

Another bid difference I notice  when I follow a 991.2 GT3 in medium speed corners, or around places like Wippermann at the Ring (many small curves + change of road camber) is that the GT3's ass moves so much more then mine. I have always put that down to the extra width and size of my tire but maybe it is also due to the aero. Don't really now. Makes the GT3 more lively, some like that better. 

Thanks kiss

--

Gnil. I agree with your accessement on Porsche brakes.

I too am hoping there is a significant durability improvement with the new rotors. By way of reference I would not have got more than 10 track days from the factory 991.1/991.2 rotors using the RT RE10 pads. At this point I am taking a guess that the new 992 rotors will last 50% longer than that.

Not as good as the AP or Brembo aftermarket rotors that used to last around 100% better than the stock ones. I suspect like the calipers and everything else Porsche have squeezed their vendors down to a price that means perhaps some compromises are made in the grade of the steel used. Also I suspect the Brembo/AP grooves are a better design than the dimples for resisting cracks.

I will take a picture of mine so you can see what they look like after 9 track days. The centre annular show some "crazy cracks" but the longest fine cracks are appearing from the dimpled holes in the centre of the rotor. Nothing anywhere near the edges of the rotor yet...

We must also accept that as these cars get generationally quicker and carry more speed into corners that more heat is generated in the system which will increase the demands on the system etc. The new rotors are bigger (408mm) but they are no thicker and the ring is no wider than before...

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM