Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

69820130-A529-4A51-8166-7994ED3499C9.pngCGX car nut:

Roadside assistance.  https://twitter.com/carlhigbie/status/1502625527550648325?s=21

Not just roadside assistance but it is actual Tesla service Van which comes to your house to fix the car so you don’t need to go anywhere. Don’t all car companies make house calls for warranty work?  Lol. 
    Nice that you make fun of ICE vans. Seems you are on to something finally.  Btw the current Tesla vehicles don’t make good service Vans. They are working on this. 
    The latest update to my mobile app now includes this.  Around town the Tesla easily exceeds its 300 mile range. Conservative estimate for 250 kwh is around 1000 miles.  $32. The gas savings are pretty sweet. To get the type of performance I enjoy a car might get 20 miles to the gallon. That’s 50 gallons at a cheap $5 per gallon.  You can do the math.  (the gas equivalent in the picture is based on some old fuel costs and much better mileage- Tesla is being conservative with its savings ) 

You are being too kind just showing off the new built in display.

Overnight rate for me is about 5 cents per kwh. So that 250kwh to go about 1000 miles; cost of $12.50 locally

Even with our relatively cheap mid-western fuel approaching $4 gallon assuming 20 to 40 mpg; yields a cost between $400 to $200 for 1000 miles of travel.

Even if your car gets 40mpg and can accelerate from 0-60 in 3 seconds; it would still be nice to power it for 1/16th the cost.

Mercedes in the Vancouver area, used to simple service calls, but i think that stopped a few years before Covid.

AJ

AJ:

Mercedes in the Vancouver area, used to simple service calls, but i think that stopped a few years before Covid.

AJ

Mercedes had a similar service in the States for many years. The local dealerships pick up and drop off cars for service as well as provide rentals and rides.  Moreover, working on a vehicle in front of one’s home has a trailer park vibe to it. 

CGX car nut:
    AJ:

AJ

Mercedes had a similar service in the States for many years. The local dealerships pick up and drop off cars for service as well as provide rentals and rides.  Moreover, working on a vehicle in front of one’s home has a trailer park vibe to it. 

The types of failures needing attention are nothing at all like an ICE vehicle, typically very minor.  When your neighbor sees the Tesla service Van stop by and make a quick repair without you even needing to be there another sale is made.
    It is really funny that you would rather waste your day at the dealer than risk anyone assuming your Tesla on site service would look ‘trailer park’.  I notice the people who dislike or make fun of Teslas are not owners for most part. On the other hand the owners are so happy many think of them as being in a cult. High praise. 

Apparently some equity analysts believe that Tesla’s valuation is not based on selling cars…  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

…erm, what are they smoking’? Smiley

Guess the cars and coffee morons moved away from Ford Mustangs.  https://youtu.be/C-zeSEOanvI

I am familiar with the notion that some people abuse their rental cars, but that is a whole new level  no

Nice that it did not catch fire and burn to the ground. Can’t think of anything else positive at this time. 

Leawood911:

Nice that it did not catch fire and burn to the ground. Can’t think of anything else positive at this time. 

The airbags worked? 

--

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

The airbags worked? 

Looked like a popcorn popper.  Hill jumping has always been a favorite past time in the Ozarks, generally with the same consequences.  Hopefully the question has been answered permanently. 

Whoopsy - just love those wheels with new tires on them. It can use sport mode for the suspension and it does not feel even half as harsh with those round gems. Super happy to drive it - thanks a million!  

The BBS F1s on Porsche had been the best wheels forever. There is nothing lighter that's better. 

All Elon needs is extra air bags for the underside of the car and we goldenindecision

--

Whoopsy:

The BBS F1s on Porsche had been the best wheels forever. There is nothing lighter that's better. 

All Elon needs is extra air bags for the underside of the car and we goldenindecision

Or the cold air thrust to land gently. 

On the bright side, for the short and steep uphill approach to the launch pad, the acceleration was impressive smiley

“Tesla Reveals Profit Bump From Government Credits After SEC Push”

(23 March 2022)

• SEC questioned electric automaker about regulatory credit sales
    • Tesla breaks out credit sales from auto sales in latest 10-K

Tesla Inc. revealed in its recent annual financial statement how much regulatory credits fueled its profits only after U.S. market regulators compelled it to do so, documents released Wednesday show.

The Securities and Exchange Commission told Tesla to justify why it lumped auto sales and lucrative sales of government credits in the same income statement line items in its 2020 10-K, according to correspondence between the company and the regulator. 

Tesla initially defended the practice to regulators, but ultimately opted to break out the credit sales, the letters show. The decision revealed to investors how sales of government credits for making electric vehicles have boosted the company’s overall revenues. The company’s credit sales totaled nearly $1.5 billion in 2021, while Tesla reported net income of $5.52 billion for the year.

“We are extremely transparent about the impact of such credits on our results and have chosen to separately present the automotive regulatory credits,” Tesla said in a February letter the SEC publicly released on Wednesday.

Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

The company in its 2021 10-K included a separate income statement line item highlighting regulatory credit sales. In response to the SEC’s requests, it also included a new disclosure in the Management’s Discussion & Analysis section of its financial statement about the impact of all regulatory credits and incentives on its gross profit and net income.

“You should emphasize that the sales of regulatory credits have no associated cost and the timing of such sales is not necessarily correlated to the actual sales of automobiles,” SEC staff reviewers told the company in a December letter. 

Credits For Clean Vehicles

Tesla earns tradeable government credits related to making zero-emission vehicles and clean fuel. Tesla in turn, sells those credits to other automakers, typically overseas. Tesla’s sale of regulatory credits leapt from $986 million in 2019 to $1.58 billion in 2020. In 2021, it sold $1.46 billion, according to its annual filing.

The SEC started asking Tesla questions in April 2021, noting that the spike in regulatory credit sales exceeded revenues from other activities such as automotive leasing. Since credit sales represent sales of intangible assets, the regulator said it should present these revenues separately as their own source of revenue or in “Services and other.” The agency also questioned the inclusion of regulatory credits in automotive sales, as it boosts gross profit metrics and could mislead investors. 

The SEC’s Regulation S-X calls on companies to break out the sale of tangible products versus intangible products, among other items. The SEC argued that a regulatory credit is an intangible item and therefore needed to be separated.

Tesla defended its practice, advising the SEC that it evaluates revenues for separate presentation in accordance with the rule, which says an item can be combined with another if the income derived from it isn’t more than 10% of the other item. Since regulatory credit sales represented approximately 6% of auto sales revenues and 5% of total revenues for 2020, the company said it didn’t hit the 10% threshold and therefore was justified in combining the figures. 

The SEC pushed back. It told the company to that sales of regulatory credits may be a revenue stream that is distinct from your automotive sales, having a material impact on consolidated gross margin, automotive sales gross margin and net income. By February, Tesla said it would break it out.

[Source: Bloomberg Tax]

A8DADF68-A45D-405A-B75E-2B3581A4BACA.jpeg

C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

In other news, Tesla is now making cars in Germany. Not in the news much though. Wonder why …. Lol. 
    btw all the other car companies and companies in general would love to have Tesla’s revenues and cash at hand. 

Suffered a fender bender in a parking lot over the weekend. Long story. Lady backed into me just as I was starting to move as well.  We agreed to not involve insurance and fix our own cars. No names or insurance info exchanged. It’s a Midwest thing. No big deal. 
    my rear bumper cover suffered a small hole/gash in the right rear. Should have taken a pic. 
    Without appointment I drove the five minutes to the dealer this morning. They immediately gave me a loaner P85D S, and are going to replace the entire rear bumper cover with a new painted part for a total of $1007 installed. Will be done by noon. 
    Seems like good service.  I’m happy. 
    side note. My tesla service advisor just bought a used Boxster and loves it. I turned him on to my mechanic, which he really appreciated since he used to be a service advisor at the Porsche dealer. I have said too much. 

Twitter, to the moon ! Elon is playing the game. 

Gnil:

Twitter, to the moon ! Elon is playing the game. 

Huge victory for free speech!  I’m all for this, he actually understands the vital importance of free speech.  I define it always as being willing to die so that someone can say something I totally disagree with. 

Tesla Shows Updated Cybertruck Promising 2023 Launch And New Robotaxi At Cyber Rodeo

CEO Elon Musk teased an updated Cybertruck as well as a new Robotaxi smiley.

smiley

As they like to,say down there, everything's bigger in Texasindecision

waiting for PDK:

As they like to,say down there, everything's bigger in Texasindecision

My car has required a windshield washer refill in 36000 miles. Still on the pilot sports. Zero panel gap or rattle issues. Porsches in cold weather not so much.  I could sell it for more than I paid for it. No complaints from owners at this point. Other are mostly sorry they did not buy one years ago. 
    But seriously - I am waiting to see the full review of the new Model Y in Texas made from the new 4680 cells using the batteries as part of the structure holding together the single front and single rear casting.  Amazing innovation which makes assembly much cheaper and tolerances will be in thousands of an inch.  While panel gaps in the past were about the only thing you could find on some cars the new Teslas made from these huge presses will set whole new benchmarks.  Same will soon be built in Berlin by Tesla with a new paint process as well.
    The truck is a bit big for me but many of my friends have had an order in since day one.  Their low original price will be a bonus. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cb1q-vggFn9/

Confused SFPD pulling over an #autonomousvehicle in the Richmond District!! Then it tries to take off!!

the Cruise was driving without lights on so that's the reason why the police officer had stopped the vehicle.  

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/579810/mercedes-benz-vision-eqxx-first-ride/

Incredible efficiency demonstrated by Mercedes. They didn't even cheat and drive on flat roads. This is a route that goes up and down mountains. Looks like they can claim the EV efficiency crown from Tesla now.

It's too bad it's just a concept, the shape is superb, much better than the EQS. 

--

Tesla's conflicts with U.S. regulators coming to a head as safety crackdown looms

A clampdown on Autopilot could tarnish Tesla’s reputation with consumers and spook investors whose belief in the company’s self-driving bona fides have helped make Tesla CEO Elon Musk the world’s wealthiest person.

April 18, 2022 11:36 AM updated 51 minutes ago

CRAIG TRUDELL and KEITH LAING

Tesla Autopilot web.jpg

Derrick Monet and his wife, Jenna, were driving on an Indiana interstate in 2019 when their Tesla Model 3 sedan operating on Autopilot crashed into a parked fire truck. Derrick, then 25, sustained spine, neck, shoulder, rib and leg fractures. Jenna, 23, died at the hospital.

The incident was one of a dozen in the last four years in which Teslas using this driver-assistance system collided with first-responder vehicles, raising questions about the safety of technology the world’s most valuable car company considers one of its crown jewels.

Now, U.S. regulators are applying greater scrutiny to Autopilot than ever before. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which has the authority to force recalls, has opened two formal defect investigations that could ultimately lead Tesla Inc. to have to retrofit cars and restrict use of Autopilot in situations it still can’t safely handle.

Related Articles

A clampdown on Autopilot could tarnish Tesla’s reputation with consumers and spook investors whose belief in the company’s self-driving bona fides have helped make Tesla CEO Elon Musk the world’s wealthiest person. It could damage confidence in technology other auto and software companies are spending billions to develop in hope of reversing a troubling trend of soaring U.S. traffic fatalities.

It also could also bring long-simmering tensions between Washington and Tesla to a boil. The iconoclastic Musk has already derided NHTSA as the “fun police” and chafed at President Joe Biden’s unwillingness to lavish the pioneering company with praise. He’s not shy about lambasting lawmakers and regulators on Twitter, the social media platform he has offered to purchase for $43 billion.

Q1 earnings coming this week

Tesla, which reports earnings later this week, has lately had an aura of invincibility.

As larger rivals were hobbled by the global chip shortage and other pandemic disruptions, the EV maker managed to substantially increase production. A modestly funded, slow-moving government agency is one of few obstacles threatening to throw it off course.

Musk and Tesla did not respond to requests for comment.

“Making our vehicles safer is foundational to our company culture and how we innovate new technologies,” Rohan Patel, Tesla’s senior director of public policy and business development, wrote in a March letter to lawmakers.

A crackdown from NHTSA would follow repeated pleas from the National Transportation Safety Board, the independent accident-investigation agency, to tighten oversight of automated vehicles.

The NTSB, which doesn’t have the power to compel carmakers to follow its recommendations, has suggested Tesla embrace automated-driving system safeguards that General Motors and Ford Motor Co. have adopted for their systems. Tesla hasn’t responded to the NTSB’s guidance and instead continued its riskier approach.
    “We essentially have the Wild West on our roads right now,” Jennifer Homendy, the chair of the NTSB, said in an interview. She describes Tesla’s deployment of features marketed as Autopilot and Full Self-Driving as artificial-intelligence experiments using untrained operators of 5,000-pound vehicles. “It is a disaster waiting to happen.”

Musk has taken advantage of a light-touch approach in the U.S. to regulating self-driving technology. Within days of Tesla releasing a software update that enabled Autopilot in October 2015, YouTubers posted videos of themselves ignoring the company’s warnings against taking their hands off the wheel. One nearly auto-steered off the road; the other almost veered into an oncoming car.

Two months before a Tesla driver in Florida died when his Model S on Autopilot plowed into an 18-wheel trailer in May 2016, NHTSA said existing laws in the country posed few barriers to driver-assistance systems. Then-Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said weeks after the crash that NHTSA would release guidelines, rather than rules, for the technology.

Congress hasn't enacted any laws specifically addressing oversight of vehicle automation.

Musk alluded to this regulatory permissiveness in March when he was asked when Europeans will get to test Full Self-Driving, or FSD, a set of beta features available in the U.S. Contrary to the name, FSD doesn’t render Tesla cars capable of driving themselves.

“In the U.S., things are legal by default,” Musk said. “In Europe, they’re illegal by default. So we have to get approval beforehand, whereas in the U.S., you can kind of do it on your own cognizance, more or less.”

Tesla’s approach to automated-driving features contrasts with that of legacy automakers GM and Ford, whose systems use cameras behind the steering wheel to monitor whether drivers are paying attention. The companies also restrict use of the systems to highways their engineers have mapped and tested out before deploying the technology to drivers.

“Tesla sticks out like a sore thumb,” said David Friedman, who was deputy and acting administrator of NHTSA from 2013 to 2015. “And it has for years.”

NHTSA has repeatedly reminded the public — including in comments provided for this story — that no commercially available vehicle can drive itself. The agency has opened 31 special investigations into crashes involving driver-assistance systems, 24 of which involved Teslas.

But the company keeps hawking FSD — and charges $12,000 for it.

There’s growing discomfort with this state of play in Washington.

“I really dislike a lot of what Tesla has done, and at the top of the list in bright, bold letters, is Elon Musk’s habit of making false public claims, and using his podium in a way that creates safety risks,” Heidi King, a deputy and acting administrator of NHTSA during the Trump administration, said in an interview.

“We all admire his visionary attributes,” King said of Musk. “But visionary exaggerations about a consumer product can be very, very dangerous.”

King was one of several acting heads of NHTSA during what has been a five-year leadership vacuum. The last Senate-confirmed administrator left the post in January 2017. A vote to permanently place Biden’s pick to run the agency, Steve Cliff, in the position is being held up indefinitely.

Impermanent leadership — along with a tight budget and modest headcount — may have prolonged Autopilot’s free ride. But a series of moves NHTSA has made over the last 10 months suggest it may not last much longer:

• In June, NHTSA ordered automakers to report crashes in which automated-driving systems are activated.
    • In August, NHTSA opened the defect investigation related to first-responder crash scenes.
    • In September, NHTSA sought documents from a dozen Tesla competitors about their automated systems.
    • In October, NHTSA grilled Tesla over why it neglected to do a recall when it deployed a software update to improve emergency-vehicle detection, and sought information about expanded availability of FSD.
    • In November, Tesla recalled a version of FSD.
    • In February, Tesla conducted another FSD-related recall to disable a setting that allowed vehicles to roll through stop signs, and NHTSA opened a second Autopilot defect investigation.

Former safety officials are encouraged by the growing scrutiny on Autopilot, seeing it as long overdue. They are calling for NHTSA to put its recall authority to use and seek additional powers and resources from Congress that would allow it to modernize safety standards.

“NHTSA is empowered with robust tools and authorities to protect the public, to investigate potential safety issues, and to compel recalls when we find evidence of noncompliance or an unreasonable risk to safety,” a spokesperson for the agency said in a statement. “NHTSA has collected data and conducted research, developed test procedures and measured their effectiveness, which are all necessary requirements before a safety standard can be developed.”

Two Democratic Senators — Ed Markey and Richard Blumenthal — have called for the Federal Trade Commission to probe whether Tesla has deceptively marketed Autopilot and FSD. FTC Chair Lina Khan told the lawmakers in September she couldn’t reveal information regarding any non-public investigations.

In the event NHTSA determines from either of its investigations there are defects pertaining to Autopilot, it can order Tesla to conduct recalls. Those could take a variety of different forms, because Tesla is permitted by law to choose how exactly it responds to such an order.

Addressing a defect could be as simple as beaming an over-the-air update to Tesla cars using their internet connection, much in the way smartphones receive software updates. Tesla has already carried out several recalls this way, and could update Autopilot's software to keep the system from operating in certain domains it's not yet able to safely navigate.

But pricier fixes may end up being needed. One example: Tesla could determine it needs to install cameras behind its steering wheel to monitor whether drivers are paying attention while using its systems, as other automakers do.

While the company has put cabin-facing cameras in its cars for years, they’re positioned over the rear-view mirror, rather than directly in front of the driver. Musk has said the cameras are meant for a robotaxi service that doesn’t yet exist.

It’s unlikely Tesla would opt for the most expensive outcome of all: replacing vehicles entirely. But a third option for manufacturers to remedy vehicles they’re forced to recall is to issue refunds, which also would be costly. Tesla has steadily increased the price of FSD, and used to charge thousands of dollars for Autopilot before making it a standard feature in 2019.

Tesla will have had it coming if NHTSA does take action on Autopilot, according to Friedman.

“The NTSB has been pointing out since that 2016 crash — where the Tesla literally couldn’t see the broadside of an 18-wheeler — that there are serious concerns,” Friedman, who is now vice president of advocacy for Consumer Reports, said in an interview. “How is it that an automated vehicle can’t safely maneuver around an emergency vehicle? That’s literally one of the first things you learn in driver’s ed: if there’s an emergency vehicle, you don’t run into it.”

When NHTSA first investigated more than five years ago whether Autopilot was defective, it found that the driver of the Tesla Model S that crashed into a trailer in Florida had ignored his Tesla’s warnings to maintain control. In a report stating it found no defect and was closing its probe, NHTSA said Tesla supplied data that showed Tesla vehicles’ crash rate dropped almost 40 percent after installation of Autosteer, an Autopilot feature.

Two years later, a data-analysis company issued a report calling that finding into question. Quality Control Systems, a firm that sued the Transportation Department to obtain the mileage and crash figures NHTSA studied, found the data were incomplete and criticized the company and regulator for making “tenuous” safety claims.

“NHTSA never, ever, ever, should have just taken Tesla at their word,” Friedman said. “It’s NHTSA’s responsibility to do high-quality analysis, and dot their i’s and cross their t’s. In this case, it doesn’t look like they did either.”

An agency spokesperson said NHTSA made no claim in its report regarding the effectiveness of Autosteer, and that it lacked critical information to do so.

NHTSA will have a fresh advantage in its latest probes of Autopilot: Now that other companies have followed Tesla to market with automated-driving features, the agency has other systems to compare against.

Friedman likens the situation to decades ago, when it wasn’t unusual for carmakers to put gas tanks behind or hovering over the rear axle. When manufacturers started moving tanks inboard, and Ford didn’t with its Pinto model — rendering the car prone to catching fire — the agency deemed the design an unreasonable safety risk.

“Only NHTSA knows their intentions relative to this,” Friedman said of the agency’s Autopilot investigations. “But it is certainly great to see NHTSA spending more time doing its core job when it comes to putting safety first.”

With assistance from Alan Levin and Dana Hull of Bloomberg.

Is there any information less than three years old in that pile of information?  Lol. 

Anyone else noticing a lot more ELON and TESLA specific hit pieces in the new since his attempt to buy twitter emerged?

Moser:

Anyone else noticing a lot more ELON and TESLA specific hit pieces in the new since his attempt to buy twitter emerged?

Anyone notice that I mentioned he would be the next media target months ago.  He is for free speech and limited government. He upsets industry and does not advertise. He also Is successful and gets stuff done using these unconventional ideas which don’t fit the narrative . All a huge threat to those pretending to worry about climate change and pushing for bigger government. 
    list of enemies is impressive - Auto companies, advertisers, pharmaceutical companies, transportation (soon trucks perhaps airplanes). Oil companies certainly don’t like him either nor do utilities thanks to solar.  Yet he supports drilling and nuclear while we don’t have economic alternatives. He has CFS and must not be allowed to spread it. 
    CFS - Common Fucking Sense. 
    You would need to be pretty gullible at this point to trust anything negative about him. I enjoy the stuff because it is pure desperation and illustrates more about the source than Tesla or Elon.  

So forget about solar power, electric cars, Mars missions, brain implants to help disabled people or curb pharmaceuticals. Forget that his cars are 10 times less likely to cause or be in an injury accident.  There are thinking and smart people who blindly go along and actually believe Elon and all his products and owners of his products are dangerous. A great example of brainwashing and how little free will we have. Good luck in the real world if that ever matters.  Like I said it is fun to watch at this point when people post the FUD - almost as much fun as irony in the replies I get for pointing this out. 

Brothers and sisters, let us all join hands now and praise the lord Musk almighty.... hallelujah! indecision

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761617 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434919 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260251 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257380 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80861 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871729 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807058 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM