Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Pictures of my new car and my old car

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    Obviously I LOVE the Artic/ Black.
    I just got a message my car was completed Monday 4-25. It's scheduled for Check point 8 on 5-2 whatever that means. What does that mean Phil ?

It is the final factory check point for the car. My guess is it includes the roadtest, since it seems that the final check point date is usually a few days after the manufactured date. Once you get to that point, the next thing to happen is transport to the harbor and the On Vessel status. Then you can really start counting days.

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    Stradale said:
    Obviously I LOVE the Artic/ Black.
    I just got a message my car was completed Monday 4-25. It's scheduled for Check point 8 on 5-2 whatever that means. What does that mean Phil ?

It is the final factory check point for the car. My guess is it includes the roadtest, since it seems that the final check point date is usually a few days after the manufactured date. Once you get to that point, the next thing to happen is transport to the harbor and the On Vessel status. Then you can really start counting days.

Phil

THANKS A LOT PHIL !
    My appointment for the 3M body armour is 5-23. It would be nice to get the car by Friday the 20th but it looks more likely the week of the 23rd. It would be funny if delivery was the 23rd and I could roll it right over for the armor. Just in time for convertible weather !I just emailed my dealer requesting he leave the car as is from the factory with the white film. Not to detail it. He must think I'm nuts. lol !

Tell us more about the car !!!

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    silverrules,
    I had the hardtop with my 996 since it came with it. The only time it was on the car was for the trip home from the dealer. I put it on a rack and didn't use it again until I sold the car last week. It was somewhat of a pain to install it on the car. Then I got stuck helping take it off when the car got to its new home. Since my car is a garage queen and I live in Southern California, the soft top is all I need.

So, are you going to cancel your PSE order?

Phil

Phil, I did not pay for the hard top as it was part of the negotiation but it is seriously a pain. I drive my car in winter to work and will PROBABLY need it. I have not canceled the PSE but seriously considering it. The sound was very loud and any louder might be embarrassing to drive the car in the neighberhood. I don't know. I will decide next couple weeks. I hate to modify the car after it is built. Pic's coming.

Have fun driving

Quote:
    silverrules said:

Phil, I did not pay for the hard top as it was part of the negotiation but it is seriously a pain. I drive my car in winter to work and will PROBABLY need it. I have not canceled the PSE but seriously considering it. The sound was very loud and any louder might be embarrassing to drive the car in the neighberhood. I don't know. I will decide next couple weeks. I hate to modify the car after it is built. Pic's coming.
    Have fun driving

I did something today that I originally said I would not do. I had an "invisible bra" installed. After driving 160 miles over three days, I already had three rock dings. Touch-up is impossible with artic silver, the dings look worse after attempting touch-up than before. I had a procedure that worked fairly well with my guards red 996, but this metallic paint is not easily touched-up.

Invisible bras are not invisible. If you are with 6 feet you can see where the bra begins and ends, but it beats the heck out of a pitted front.

And if you decide at some point that you really hate it, you can peel it off. No permanent damage.

If anyone needs the name of an installer in Orange County, CA who really seems to care and does a nice job let me know. He came to my house with a pre-cut kit. It took him about 5 hours to install.

Tomorrow I will be out there in the world racking up some miles on this great new car. I will take pictures this weekend. I will attempt to show the invisible bra, but I don't know if it will show up in pictures.

Phil

Phil, You are right. Try it for some time and if you do not like it remove it. I been lucky with my other car with no rock dings so far and kind of brave at this time. If I was you, I probably do the same. Post more pics.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:

Have fun driving

I did something today that I originally said I would not do. I had an "invisible bra" installed. After driving 160 miles over three days, I already had three rock dings. Touch-up is impossible with artic silver, the dings look worse after attempting touch-up than before. I had a procedure that worked fairly well with my guards red 996, but this metallic paint is not easily touched-up.

Invisible bras are not invisible. If you are with 6 feet you can see where the bra begins and ends, but it beats the heck out of a pitted front.

And if you decide at some point that you really hate it, you can peel it off. No permanent damage.

If anyone needs the name of an installer in Orange County, CA who really seems to care and does a nice job let me know. He came to my house with a pre-cut kit. It took him about 5 hours to install.

Tomorrow I will be out there in the world racking up some miles on this great new car. I will take pictures this weekend. I will attempt to show the invisible bra, but I don't know if it will show up in pictures.

Phil

Phil,
    You don't sound happy about the body armour ?
    Can you still see the dings under the film ?

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    Phil,
    You don't sound happy about the body armour ?
    Can you still see the dings under the film ?

One ding was so low on the front you would have to be on your hands and knees, so I am not worried about it. The other consisted of 2 small pin hole sized nicks on the hood near the Porsche crest. Not too noticable, but got me thinking about the possibilty of getting more dings. So, I decided to try the clear bra.

My comments about the clear bra are not because of the dings it is because the bra is not invisible. Where it covers an entire panel it is fairly invisible. What really shows up are the lines where the bra ends and the paint begins, such as around the fenders (behind the headlights) and across the hood.

Not horrible, but not invisible. From three feet I can see it. I would guess I could see it from six feet. The lines are the thing I see the most. There is also a subtle difference in texture between paint and vinyl. Where it was installed over the headlights, it looks perfect.

Is it worth it to keep from getting the front all dinged up? I think so. Is it invisible? No! Would someone taking a casual look at my car notice it? Probably not.

My installer does installs for the local Ferrari dealership clients. His work seems to be quite professional. No complaint with his work. He admits that they should be called clear bras, not invisible bras.

If I were to take pictures of my car (which I will this weekend) I doubt that anyone would see the bra. If I zoomed in and took a picture of the area where the bra meets the paint would it show up in a photo? I think it would and will post my results.

Not a dis-satisfied customer, just wanted others who are considering clear bras to know that they can be seen upon examination and are certainly not invisible. Knowing this I would probably do it on my next car, but before I had a chance to even get one ding.

Phil

I think it was smart that you had it done before you had many more dings and after a while the strangeness of the whole thing will wear off. Where I'm from most of the Ferrari's and other exotics all have it done. At some of the car shows and meets I've been at It's become a competition in itself to see who has the best body armor job. !
    Once you see it on other cars later on you'll just be happy that you have protected your ride.

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    Once you see it on other cars later on you'll just be happy that you have protected your ride.

I am very happy that much of the potential future damage will be prevented by the clear bra. I got my first ding on the way home from the dealership after buying the car. The 2nd happened while making the trip to buy touch up paint to repair the 1st ding. Then I just parked it until the guy installed the bra yesterday. Silver is almost impossible to touch up. You can't get the metallic part of the paint to match. So, with the inability to even touch up the dings, I felt I had to find a way to try to prevent them.

On my guards red cab I got pretty good at touching up the occassional ding. I could blend them in where they were difficult to see. I would fill in the ding with touch up paint and after it had dried I would use Langka (www.langka.com) to smooth out the blob. They refer to it as the blob eliminator. It works fairly well. But this process didn't work worth a darn on a silver car.

So, to sum it up.....I am happy I got the clear bra and it will allow me to drive the car with one less concern.

How often are you calling your dealer for status updates on your car????

Phil

can i see some pics of your clear bra?

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:

I got my first ding on the way home from the dealership after buying the car. The 2nd happened while making the trip to buy touch up paint to repair the 1st ding.

Son of a

Glad you're happy with it. I was hoping I didn't mislead you with how good it can look.

How often am I calling the dealer for status on my car ?
    I called first week of April (found out it was PRDEST 4-25)
    Called yesterday (found out it was complete 4-25)Hopefully it will get sealegs next week. If it doesn't get on a ship till the week of the 9th. hopefully I will still have delivery by the end of the month.

I'll probably wait till 5-12/13 until I check back w/ the dealer. By then maybe there will be some news telling me when to expect her.

It's still not really convertible weather. I've only been on my bikes a couple of times and one time I wished I hadn't rode to work because I froze coming home. Last week we were still bouncin around in the 40 degree area. All of that will probably change though very shortly.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:

Hey man..........
    There's other sites fer that kinda thing... K ?

HAHA nice one

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    Quote:
    Dilinger said:

Hey man..........
    There's other sites fer that kinda thing... K ?

Did someone call my name?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781224 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442649 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263399 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261734 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85859 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5935 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881490 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819109 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM