Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My first (and cheapest accessory for my C2S)... valve caps

COuldn't believe it when I collected my C2S a few weeks ago and there it was - glaring at me - ugly black tyre valves with a plastic cap - just like any stock car on the road.

So popped down to my local OPC (Porsche Hatfield) and asked the parts department what they had - the sold me a set (4) of tyre valves (the complete valve) with a nice full length metal sleeve with porsche logo.... the cost, a mere Pounds9...looks great...

Sorry, didn't get a chance to take a pic.

Rgds
    Prashan

Re: My first (and cheapest accessory for my C2S)... valve caps

does the metal sleeve require the tire to be dismounted? or does it simply slide over the rubber stem?

It slides over the rubber stem. I had the same caps on my 997S..... until they were stolen off of it at the beach condo my wife rented a few weeks ago!!!! LOL. So now I'm back to my standard black caps.... Thank goodness they were cheap!

Quote:
    drdrilz said:
    does the metal sleeve require the tire to be dismounted? or does it simply slide over the rubber stem?

The retail price here in the USA is $14.95 It includes a set of rubber stems and these nice metal cabs (with the Porsche crest on the top) that cover the entire rubber stem. They just screw on over your existing rubber stem. I don't know why they give you new rubber stems.

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    drdrilz said:

The retail price here in the USA is $14.95 It includes a set of rubber stems and these nice metal cabs (with the Porsche crest on the top) that cover the entire rubber stem. They just screw on over your existing rubber stem. I don't know why they give you new rubber stems.

Phil

I suppose that they do it in anticipation of the odd chance that the car does not have its original tires. It is common practice, when new tires are installed, that you install new valve stems. If the "generic" valve stems used at the tire store were shorter than factory, that would prevent the installation of the caps. Therefore, they include proper-length stems for the poor schmoe who's had too-short stems popped into his wheels by the local Midas.

Re: My first (and cheapest accessory for my C2S)... valve ca

I have them, they are not metal, they are plastic painted aluminum. They look cool enough and are very light compared to those chrome plated brass ones that I think would effect wheel balance.

can anyone post a link to these metal stem covers? thanks

Quote:
    drdrilz said:
    can anyone post a link to these metal stem covers? thanks

Go here: http://www3.us.porsche.com/isapi/english/usa/accessories/911_997teq/item.asp?id=644&kat=Wheels

Crested valve caps
    Set of four custom tire valves complete with classic silver-valve stem sleeves and caps with embossed Porsche Crests. (Fits Porsche standard and Tequipment wheels only. Not compatible with hollow-spoke wheels.)

And mine are metal, not plastic.

Phil

Part no. 000 044 600 00

Mine got pinched after 1 week....

I have the valve caps since about end of '97 on my 993. They were stolen twice in that time. Astonishingly, both times not in public but during service at the garage. So, I got new ones for free each time
    They show a little wear off now. So, I would say that they are indeed just painted plastic parts.
    Unfortunately, the caps cannot be used if the car is equipped with the tyre pressure monitoring system

I have them as well...cheap/cool/easy to unscrew....I'm sure they'll get stolen, and I'll go get another set!! I love Porsche wheels...painted crests, valve sleeves, red brake calipers

I had them for almost 7 years on my 996 and they were never stolen. Keep in mind that I am REAL careful about where I park. But if they ever were stolen, I would buy them again.

Phil

Apparently kids collect them. That's why they disappear.

And another cheap accessory that really makes a difference (for USA, the rest of the world already has them):

Carrera Clear Side Markers
    Code: clearsides
    Price: $29.95
    You can check them out at: http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/mercha...ory_Code=997ext

Phil

They cause wheel damage!

The Porsche Tequipment valve caps are very heavy. They have been rubbing against my wheels and have scratctched the paint on them. The centrifical force of high speeds makes them do this. That's why they have valve stem supports too.

Re: They cause wheel damage!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    The Porsche Tequipment valve caps are very heavy. They have been rubbing against my wheels and have scratctched the paint on them. The centrifical force of high speeds makes them do this. That's why they have valve stem supports too.

What wheels do you have? I have the standard 19" S wheel and the valve covers are no closer that a 1/4" from the wheel (with the bulged part of the rubber stem between them and the wheel).

Phil

Re: They cause wheel damage!

These are the heavy ones made of brass.

These are the plastic painted ones.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    drdrilz said:

Phil

I suppose that they do it in anticipation of the odd chance that the car does not have its original tires. It is common practice, when new tires are installed, that you install new valve stems. If the "generic" valve stems used at the tire store were shorter than factory, that would prevent the installation of the caps. Therefore, they include proper-length stems for the poor schmoe who's had too-short stems popped into his wheels by the local Midas.

The reason they ship them with stems, is that these are very fragile, and by shipping them on the stems makes them less vulnerable to damage.

For you Guys

Freak
    Did you paint the crest red?

Yes I did, one set in red and one set in black. I think it looks real good that way (IMHO)

These ones rub at high speed

on my 2003

986S with Carerra wheels. Centrifical (sic?) force

Not a big deal but not cool to have scratches in wheels

Quote:
    Freak 2 said:
    Yes I did, one set in red and one set in black. I think it looks real good that way (IMHO)

Color freak, how in the world did you paint those caps ? I have the same ones coming but just embossed. It would be great to match the caps painted in black to match my wheel black/silver crests.

Likewise...how did you do that

In fact it's easy Stradale. I think the caps are made of aluminium and they get a glossy finish. So you take some black hobby paint (for painting scale models), you put it in top of the cap with a small brush, make sure that the crest is fully covered, and than you gently wipe it of with a smooth cloth. The paint will only stay in the deep areas of the crest, the rest will be wiped off, than you just let it dry
    I thought that was something for you, that's why I posted those pics, I know you really like the combination of Silver and Black
    Happy to oblige

Quote:
    Freak 2 said:
    In fact it's easy Stradale. I think the caps are made of aluminium and they get a glossy finish. So you take some black hobby paint (for painting scale models), you put it in top of the cap with a small brush, make sure that the crest is fully covered, and than you gently wipe it of with a smooth cloth. The paint will only stay in the deep areas of the crest, the rest will be wiped off, than you just let it dry
    I thought that was something for you, that's why I posted those pics, I know you really like the combination of Silver and Black
    Happy to oblige

Man....... I would have never thought of that.
    They look DAMN GOOD Color Freak !
    You should sell them back to PORSCHE for twice the price so wacked out guys like me could pay triple for such sweetness.
    As soon as my caps come in and I do that I'll post a pic. Hopefully they come out half as good.
    THANKS Dude.

damn Freak you really are a freak!!!(just joking:!) how did you manage to do so hand crafted work on those valve caps???

BTW how many variotions of valve caps do they exist?

And i like the gas cap also racing oriented....

Hi Dilinger, I think that there are 2 different sized wheel caps, the short ones with the coloured crest and the long ones in aluminium, you can see pictures of both in this thread. It was quite nice to experiment with paint on the alu caps, the result is quite nice IMO.
    The gas cap also comes only in alu look, so I did a little work on that one too.

wonderful job your made the letters black, but did you also polish them??

BTW the gas cap is plastic too.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777446 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441785 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262808 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261011 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85271 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5592 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816071 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM