Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

CD-24 or whatever its called!!

Ive got the CD-24 standard stereo in my 987 with the upgraded Bose speakers and amps...

Quality when playing CD's etc is ok, pretty good I suppose but the quality on the Radio is pants!

I think its to do with the reception and the fact that its always going in and out of tune! Sometimes, usually when stationary, the sound quality is great but then start moving and all of sudden it sounds like youve lost part of the music or as if youve just turned the treble down to minus numbers!

Anyone else have this or is it just mine? Live in centre of London by the way so should get a pretty good signal

Re: CD-24 or whatever its called!!

Same with mine. The FM reception that I get is usually ok, but it does sound like the treble is right down. The CD sounds fine though. Oh and I just have the normal speakers, not BOSE, but can still easily notice the difference between radio and CD performance.

RichJ,

I have the same as you an the FM receiver is [censored]........my iTrip won't work at all!!!

I had a Porsche Sound Pack with PCM for the last week and radio was great compared to mine......however speakers were crap!!

So PCM IS worth getting then...

... even if it DOESN'T play MP3s

Just as well I don't listen to the radio much then, isn't it?

Quote:
    Anyone else have this or is it just mine? Live in centre of London by the way so should get a pretty good signal

No apparent problems here though the FM quality is not exactly mindblowing even after fiddling with the sound settings for a while (Bose), and I live in the same general area.

If I could choose again I dont think I'd bother with any of the Porsche offered stereo upgrades...

Not very good or cutting edge!

after having the Bang and Olufsen beolab 5 speakers in my house, i kind of gave up on any other audio system.

i stopped listening to car radios a LONG time ago.

Rich J , Your absolutely right. The radiio reception stinks with the cd-24 unit.. The music cuts in and out as if you lose half your speakers and end up constantly adjusting the volume. Cd sounds great though. Radio reception on the PCM is much better. The PCM must use a different head unit which accounts for the better radio reception. Just for this , I would pay the extra 2 thousand for it......

Ok I'm stupid.. missed the fact that CD24 is the non-PCM version, which explains why my FM quality is ok (PCM).

BUT... with the PCM, don't you get those annoying antenna lines down the windscreen? (I get annoyed easily! )

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    BUT... with the PCM, don't you get those annoying antenna lines down the windscreen? (I get annoyed easily! )

You don't notice them, but where is the antenna for the CD24 if not in the windscreen?

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    wtsnet said:

You don't notice them, but where is the antenna for the CD24 if not in the windscreen?

Maybe that's the problem!

I can't remember if the extra windscreen lines on PCM equiped cars are for radio reception, but I have a feeling that the screens ARE different, and that that this is one of the reasons why PCM isn't an easy retrofit.

Just checking...People with non-PCM cars...you don't have two (faint) lines down the middle of the windscreen do you?

The GPS antenna is also embedded in the screen, I think.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:

That's a bit impractical if the screen gets a crack in it.....you have to state PCM or not?

Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Makes sense. I'm just guessing here, but I would gamble that the GPS anntenna would be a lot smaller. (Based on the fact that most hand-held GPS's have small antenna's that don't seem to need to be long and thin). I don't know if the GPS signal is a higher-frequency than radio? (Basically as a general rule, the higher the frequency the smaller the antenna needs to be.) So I reckon the GPS antenna is probably a small thing tucked away at the bottom of the windscreen.

Actually, quoting from the sales book:

(PCM) "Antenna diversity: Vehicles with PCM have four radio antenna which are discreetly embedded in the windscreen glass. This arrangement provides a choice of signals for optimum FM reception on the two-tuner RDS radio."

So there!

I imagine so. I don't bring the Boxster to work, so I will have to read up and find out where the antenna's are. I know if you have the telephone module option (I don't) the antenna for that is under the top of the dash, but I am sure I read somewhere (maybe the brochure) that the GPS antenna is in the screen. The radio reception is very good, by the way, no problems at all, but I listen to that even less than I listen to CD's. I normally have the radio on with the volume turned right down so I get the RDS traffic announcements as they automatically come in at a preset, independently adjustable level.

Quote:
    newboxster said:
    That's a bit impractical if the screen gets a crack in it.....you have to state PCM or not?

Yup. More expensive. Probably contributes a fair bit to the overall high price of the PCM. To make those with PCM feel a little better!

It's probably the same deal with the auto-dimming wing mirrors I would guess - more expensive to fix. But hey, that's what insurance is for

Rich, I am in the same boat as you. I did many tests, shutting off the auto volume and surroud settings thinking that was the problem.....The dealer could not identify any problems. But like you said, the "highs" drop out all together and then come back in based on reception. I am right next to the towers for one of the stations and it is pathetic to have such fine car marred by poor radio reception. Could it be that the radio is digital and instead of hearing static, it drops the parts that cause the highs to disappear? Any ideas on how to resolve this since the post?

No ideas whatsoever I'm afraid.

Very very disapointed with the stereo. Today Ive been driving around London with the roof of and its really been bad, volume going up and down by massive amounts! Really crap.

Its a really good job that the everything else is sooooo sweet!

Cars going to be going into the dealer soon to have this looked at as well as a few other little things.

The easiest way to sort that out is to add a sub. Try the Alpine SWD-1600! It will fit just behind the seat I think!

I'm waiting to get 6 new speakers and an external amp installed.

Isnt there an option to purchase an antenna? I see it as an option on the list but I cant find any details about it, or pictures for that matter.

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    Ive got the CD-24 standard stereo in my 987 with the upgraded Bose speakers and amps...

Quality when playing CD's etc is ok, pretty good I suppose but the quality on the Radio is pants!

I think its to do with the reception and the fact that its always going in and out of tune! Sometimes, usually when stationary, the sound quality is great but then start moving and all of sudden it sounds like youve lost part of the music or as if youve just turned the treble down to minus numbers!

Just been doing a little 'RTFM'ing... It says in the book that if you put the system into 'Surround' mode (Bose Only) then it prefers digital sources (ie CDs) and might be a little flakey with weak analogue (ie Radio) signals. This probably explains the loss of the high-frequency sounds - the Digital Signal Processing (DSP) for the surround screws up. I think you might be able to set different sound settings for the CD and Radio seperately... try turning Surround off for the Radio, see if that helps any.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN RADIO RECEPTION........... YOU WERE RIGHT WTSNET, TURNING OFF THE SURROUND WORKED... THE RADIO SOUNDS 100XXX BETTER........ THANKS.........

You're most welcome!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689721 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409332 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255795 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235020 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65547 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858088 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774160 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM