Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Sport Exhaust - review and pictures

My PZ planned this. They have ordered this additional PSE standard switch, got the circuit diagram and will do it next week. So they will do it for the first time. I hope it works. I will keep you up-to-date.

Thanks Seven, thats ba great idea, keep us updated! I will likely follow your footsteps

I hope I don't get anything confused but in Porsche's Tequipment/Exclusive catalogue one 997 S is equipped with the PSE and features a unique switch in the car's interior picture. I assumed that it comes std. with the PSE in the first place.

That would be for a 997S thats not equipped with Sport Chrono, those get an extra switch since they don't have the sport chrono's switch. Did the picture you saw show the chrono on the dash or the sport chrono button?

Damn Ferdie you are so right!!!!!1

I cant believe it man you have eagle eyes !! you are right

But it is not on the tequipment brochure, it is in the Exclusive brochure, page 38, 911 Carrera S in Seal Grey Metallic, and no Carlos it does no thave Sports Chrono, i might find the pics for you...and it has a third button probably for PSE!

thats the pics in here you see the rhird button but no sports chrono

inside

outside same car PSE

PSE close up

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    thats the pics in here you see the rhird button but no sports chrono

yep, since its not a sport chrono it gets an extra switch on the console so you can activate it, but if it had sport chrono it seems it wouldn't get that switch becuase the sport chrono switch would serve that purpose.

EXACTLY, only concern is some rumors, that said, the sports chrono button would be replaced with another one, with 2 led indicators

More news about Sport Exaust? Has anyone already listen it LIVE?

I'm sure I will install a sport exaust on my 997 (3.6) and I'm just chosing in this way:

- Cargraphic Sport Exaust (TUV) with a little mod. for better sound (cool sound, high quality, SERIOUS PIPES, but not original and not switchable)

- Original PSE (never heard LIVE, hope for good quality, RIDICULOUS PIPES, but SWITCHABLE and ORIGINAL!)

...I'm very in doubt...

Yes, a picture showing both sides of the exaust would be great!

Quote:
    gnil said:
    Yes, a picture showing both sides of the exaust would be great!

Have a look at the thread 'Cab S with PSE arrived!!!' picture 2.

Seven any review updated from your PSE???

RC, SEVEN GUYS !!!!!!

What happenned to your PSE reports,reviews second impressions!!!!

Did you feel that with km done the and PSE burning the sound became better, louder, more aggresive???

So am I correct in the fact that because I am not bothered about getting the Sports Chrono this will have an added advantage to me that I get the PSE sound with the button activated which Sports Chrono owners can't have without being in sports mode.
    Sorry if that sound s complicated, I hope you get what I mean.

I GET WHAT I MEAN Persauder, BUT thust me you loose much more not having the sports chrono option!!

Quote:
    Persauder said:
    So am I correct in the fact that because I am not bothered about getting the Sports Chrono this will have an added advantage to me that I get the PSE sound with the button activated which Sports Chrono owners can't have without being in sports mode.
    Sorry if that sound s complicated, I hope you get what I mean.

Correct. I you don't get Sport Chrono you will get a switch in the console specific to the PSE only, so you will be able to turn it on/off at will without having to be in "sport" mode since you don't have it.

Thanks guy's - got to spec my 4S on Friday when I collect 2S CAB; couln't get PSE on Cab for some reason but have been offered a Free Milteck Sports Exhaust for it.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    Did you feel that with km done the and PSE burning the sound became better, louder, more aggresive???

Hi Dilinger,
    I had the car just about 10 days and drove about 1.200 km. So until now I didn't notice any change apparently. But it sounds so great there's no need for a change.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    RC, SEVEN GUYS !!!!!!

I have some sort of "dilemma" to deal with and I try to explain: the sound WITH the flap control didn't improve much, I wouldn't recommend the exhaust if you want to stay fully on the legal side without the (in some countries illegal) sound mod.
    With the sound mod, the exhaust sounds great and it is much louder than the original exhaust, especially in the lower rev range. But unfortunately the sound is not 100% the same like on the "old" 996 sport exhaust.
    At revs over 4000 rpm, the sound becomes a little bit trumpet like, it is difficult to explain. It sounds really great and people walking on the street turn their heads but it isn't really the sound I expected.
    Now the reason for this strange sound may be that the exhaust isn't "burned free", it would make sense because it sounds like some sort of damping material is inside the exhaust. So I'm still waiting for improvement, this is why I didn't want to make a final verdict.

In the lower rev range, the exhaust sounds really nice, there is no annoying too deep growl/resonance like on other aftermarket sport exhausts. There is also that nice "mis-firing" shooting sound sometimes, when releasing the throttle for example. Very nice, remembers me of the "old" days.

Now I would really ask people to wait for a few weeks until I know if the current sound is the final sound or if its gonna improve. I can still recommend the PSE but ONLY with the sound mod, not in the original state.
    And people who think their 997 Carrera S sounds nice and loud without the PSE, should NOT go for the PSE. Although the sound is a bit weird (as I mentioned before), it is much louder than the original Carrera S exhaust. So to some people it may be a little bit too loud.

And a last point: the Helmholtz Resonator sound in the higher rev range changes completely with the PSE. I would even say it disappears. On the other hand, you get a loud PSE sound instead, nice but I liked the Helmholtz Resonator sound a little bit more.

So please wait for some sound files and another review from Carlos who may have a different opinion on the sound.

FWIW RC,
    You're right, all exhaust need some break in period too.
    My PSE on 996 developed itself over a few thousand kilometers.
    So there's hope.
    We'll see anyway. I'm still hopeful.
    Looking forward to Carlos' review.
    One thing I do not understand from your post, is that you write:
    Quote:
    the sound WITH the flap control didn't improve much, I wouldn't recommend the exhaust if you want to stay fully on the legal side without the (in some countries illegal) sound mod.

Say you don't do any mod, and stay with factory setting.
    Then you have that infamous "cut off" between 50 and 80 kmh, but outside these speeds, it's just like yours isn't it (in sport mode of course)?
    When you write "the sound with flap control", you mean the sound when sport mode is OFF?
    Because, on sport mode, with flap opened, it should be the same as yours no?
    Thanks for the clarification.

yes exactly my question Fanch i did not get that point well...

Lets hope things
    will improve..

Regarding the sound..For whatits worth i ll say that in my 997 (base) the sound of the exhaust was awful.it was like someone had pressed the mute button..too quiet for me ,i could not listen to the engine revs and enjoy..
    But after 6500 km i can say the sound from th stock exhaust has improved MUCH, now imagine what the difference should be when the PSE is burned!~I hope so at least
    I think it nees some thousand km of hard driving in high temp and revs to get improved

I m still waiting for my PSE.LAST news i might have it by the end pf next week

RC, pleaseeeeeeee......make a video sound with the PSE....

i ve been waiting for so long now, amongst others,,,,

please give me some joy

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    RC, pleaseeeeeeee......make a video sound with the PSE....

i ve been waiting for so long now, amongst others,,,,

please give me some joy

Give me a few days, I tried to record the sound but the camera was lying on the co-driver seat and there were a lot of other noises, it didn't sound right.
    I'll borrow a windshield camera holder from a friend and I'll try again. It may take a few days though...

okey thats something, i m sure many would like to hear a video sound file with the camera outside , in standstill, to see what s the sound from outside when the car is not moving

Getting a Milltek Exhaust fitted to my 997 S CAB.
    Check it out the sound files at http://www.millteksport.com/media.filelist.cfm?mediatype=1&VariantID=167

Quote:
    Persuader said:
    Check it out the sound files at http://www.millteksport.com/media.filelist.cfm?mediatype=1&VariantID=167

Actually, it REALLY sounds like a trumpet!
    Especially in the video where the car takes the turn.
    RC,
    If that's what you mean with the PSE, then I'm gonna question my order! Seriously!
    Problem is that is comes with X51, so I'll have to check if one can order X51 without PSE.
    Please Christian, tell me PSE doesn't sound like this!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Persuader said:

Actually, it REALLY sounds like a trumpet!
    Especially in the video where the car takes the turn.
    RC,
    If that's what you mean with the PSE, then I'm gonna question my order! Seriously!
    Problem is that is comes with X51, so I'll have to check if one can order X51 without PSE.
    Please Christian, tell me PSE doesn't sound like this!

A Trumpet. Your trumpets must be different in the states compared with UK

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690524 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409779 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256038 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858453 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774746 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM