Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ferrari becoming "automotive Burberry"... (from evo)

The excellent Richard Porter (also the man behind www.sniffpetrol.com and this highly recommended book) deals with ferrari's merchandising strategy in his latest evo "petrolhead" column.

it's so funny! and so true!

check it out in the latest evo issue or... download the attached PDF document (222 KB).

Re: Ferrari becoming "automotive Burberry"... (from evo)

They have to be very careful , what with all branded stuff like laptops , cameras , clothing, toys,perfumes and such. I remember Pierre Cardin doing that in the 70s and 80s - soon it was no longer " Rodeo Drive " chic and had become " Fisherman's Wharf " tacky. You don't want to be too " accessable " to the consumer as an ultra premium brand, no matter the devilish temptation of short terms licensing $$$$.

Pardon moi?

ah burberry.

thank god they are finally moving away from using the novacheck EVERYWHERE.

then again, hooligans clad heel to toe in a print can ruin any brand's image (at least in the old money sense)

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    The excellent Richard Porter (also the man behind www.sniffpetrol.com and this highly recommended book) deals with ferrari's merchandising strategy in his latest evo "petrolhead" column.

check it out in the latest evo issue or... download the attached PDF document (222 KB).

True, saw this German guy in the Dominican Republic... red Ferrari Schumacher Hat, Ferrari Polo, Red Shorts, yellow "Ferrari" watch and the finishing touch Ferrari slippers...

Quote:
    Zürich said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:

True, saw this German guy in the Dominican Republic... red Ferrari Schumacher Hat, Ferrari Polo, Red Shorts, yellow "Ferrari" watch and the finishing touch Ferrari slippers...

Oops, think it was Gary [image] http://www.rennteam.com/uploads/93780-f1testdaypost.jpg [/image]

Quote:
    Zürich said:

Yeah, and we've never seen ANYONE in Porsche garb.

Gary

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    Zürich said:

Yeah, and we've never seen ANYONE in Porsche garb.

Gary

Well at least you can't buy it in any supermarket around the corner..

But no offense, if you wanna wear logos you should

Quote:
    zzboba said:

I do not find it surprising that Ferrari is mass marketing non-automotive products. They recognize that though most people would love to own a Ferrari automobile, 99.9% cannot not because of financial considerations or very limited availability. Thus, many settle for non-automotive items to sate their desire for Ferrari ownership.

Porsche on the other has taken the view that everyone should own a Porsche and thus mass produce the car to the point where it is very common and no longer coveted. Every couple of years they introduce another look alike model which soon will compete with Fords and Chevy's.

BTW isn't Porter the same person who openly denounces the Cayenne and criticized Porsche for its mass production direction?

Quote:
    Zürich said:
    if you wanna wear logos you should

I know this is all in good fun, and I can take kidding as well as anyone I think, but your post leads me to believe you do not wear logo items. Is that right?...no hats or t-shirts from Porsche or your local sports team or whatever??

Gary

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:

I do not find it surprising that Ferrari is mass marketing non-automotive products. They recognize that though most people would love to own a Ferrari automobile, 99.9% cannot not because of financial considerations or very limited availability. Thus, many settle for non-automotive items to sate their desire for Ferrari ownership.

Porsche on the other has taken the view that everyone should own a Porsche and thus mass produce the car to the point where it is very common and no longer coveted. Every couple of years they introduce another look alike model which soon will compete with Fords and Chevy's.

BTW isn't Porter the same person who openly denounces the Cayenne and criticized Porsche for its mass production direction?

That's good logic - "I can't afford a $180K Ferrari so I'll buy a $20 hat" and "I CAN afford a $20 hat but INSTEAD, I'll buy a $80K 911." Curious, what's your win/loss record in courtoom arguments?

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:

That's good logic - "I can't afford a $180K Ferrari so I'll buy a $20 hat" and "I CAN afford a $20 hat but INSTEAD, I'll buy a $80K 911." Curious, what's your win/loss record in courtoom arguments?

Jeff I have no idea as to what your talking about.
    What does affording a $20 hat and buying a Porsche have to do with my post?

Quote:
    nberry said:

Jeff I have no idea as to what your talking about.
    What does affording a $20 hat and buying a Porsche have to do with my post?

My interpretation of your posting (again attacking Porsche mgmt) is this:

People coveting Ferraris, 'settlle for non-automotive items to sate their desire for Ferrari ownership'. You then claim that Porsche 'on the other hand..' is so mass market and thus I assume you mean easily owned by almost anyone as you write above (almost to the point of being regularly cross shopped by Ford/Chevy buyers.) The other implication here of your comparing Ferrari's licensed products to Porsches ('Porsche on the other hand') comment is that Porsche's licensed products aren't successful or something because why would someone want to buy a branded item (hat, mug, etc.) that represents a brand with such mainstream, easily achievable products (911's, Boxsters, etc.)

If I've misinterpreted your comment, I apologize for failing (yet again I confess) to understand your negative obsession with a company you don't like. I'm not a psychiatrist but I have to wonder - do you continually send letters to the husbands and boyfriends of your past ex-girlfriends because they love and appreciate someone you no longer do? In my world, it's called "Get over it." I mean honestly, you should spend more of your time sharpening your argument skills to better succeed in your profession. Life's too short to dwell on such things. Let us swallow the blue pill and continue to live in "The Matrix" and like Porsches. You can be Keanu Reeves and live your more 'enlightened' life appreciating all the 'virtues' of the Ferrari experience.

Btw, I loved your explanation for deleting the composite brakes from your F430 order. Something like, to the outside person, you can't easily tell the difference between carbon and steel so why spend the $15K. You mean you buy your Ferrari and select options based on whether you can impress the casual onlooker? That explains a lot.

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    Zürich said:
    if you wanna wear logos you should

I know this is all in good fun, and I can take kidding as well as anyone I think, but your post leads me to believe you do not wear logo items. Is that right?...no hats or t-shirts from Porsche or your local sports team or whatever??

Gary

True, I don't have any Porsche hats or shirts and not that many (brand)logos. But that's a personal taste. But again, like you said, it's all in good fun.

Quote:

but IMO they are overdoing it. it was (or is) LDM's strategy to secure growth for ferrari without building more cars -- merchandise, licensing, i've even heard about plans for "ferrar world" theme parks... so maybe he's dreaming about some kind of "disney". but the problem is: i wouldn't buy a disney car

Quote:

yes (and with him nearly every other UK motoring journalist )

Guys i know its irelevant but what do you think about Burberry?

Nick, if you don't mind me asking, what is your courtroom record? Wins/Losses if its not to personal of course. This has nothing to do with anything I'm just curious

btw I think Burberry is aite but is still in the shadows of Gucci, Versace, Armani etc.

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    ... to understand your negative obsession with a company you don't like. I'm not a psychiatrist but I have to wonder - do you continually send letters to the husbands and boyfriends of your past ex-girlfriends because they love and appreciate someone you no longer do? In my world, it's called "Get over it." I mean honestly, you should spend more of your time sharpening your argument skills to better succeed in your profession. Life's too short to dwell on such things...

RIGHT ON!

Jeff, this much I know. I am not the only one that feels Porsche as a company is now a mass marketer which has had a negative impacted on it's customer base.

Yesterday, I had two 360 Spiders in my garage and a police car stopped to discuss the cars. They asked what I owned before moving to Ferrari and I told them Porsche. They responded "Porsche's are so common these days, it is hard to excited about them".

You need to accept that. My comments would not affect you as much.

Carrera GT I am known as the attorney you want to try your case against. I lose them all.

BTW you did misinterpret my comments.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    They responded "Porsche's are so common these days, it is hard to excited about them".

For a moment there I though it was about ladies talking about pret a porter dresses, and not guys talking about "driver's" sportcars

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

yes (and with him nearly every other UK motoring journalist )

That could explain what happened to the domestically-owned UK auto industry.

It listened to Porter and got so dammed exclusive that it doesn't build any cars at all any more!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Jeff, this much I know. I am not the only one that feels Porsche as a company is now a mass marketer which has had a negative impacted on it's customer base.

One person (you) does not a customer base make. Also, define "mass marketer". As I've already posted before, in Snob Diego, I mean San Diego, Ferrari's, Lambo's, P-Cars, etc. are WAY more 'common' than in other parts of the world. In places like Monaco, you would have to drive something like a Pagani Zonda to stand out from the more "plebian" 575 Maranello or 430 because there are so many in that area. But does having a concentration of cars in a particular area of the world suddenly diminish the intrinic goodness of a car? When I see 300 Ferrari's at the Monterey Historic races, should I suddenly feel that they're not so special because there are so many in one place? "Mass market" - when you're making 100,000 vehicles across 3 different lines (Cayenne, Boxster, Carrera) for the entire world in a year as Porsche does, how is that mass market when Toyota sells 400,000 Camry's in the US ALONE?!?

Nick, I better understand your need to drive a Ferrari - you NEED to stand out from the rest of the world and have people notice you. You already said that you nixed the carbon brakes from your F430 order because no one would be able to tell the difference from the steel brakes to justify the $15K that they cost. Well, unlike you, I and many others buy a car and select the options because it's what WE want. Ferrari owners are seem obsessed about getting a car that the NEXT guy will want - which makes sense because you have to sell a new car back to the dealer fairly quickly after taking delivery so that the dealer can make another big profit selling it to the next guy. That means that you HAVE to have a red Ferrari because that's the easiest one to resell. To each his own but in the meantime, please reread my earlier posting - you won't change my mind about Porsches and for your sanity, I hope you can let your negative experience go and move on by voting with your wallet (i.e. don't buy another Porsche). That's what NORMAL people do. FYI - the average person who has a positive experience with a product will tell 2 people; the average person who has a negative experience with a product will tell 11 people. Given how many negative postings you've put on this board alone, you're off the scale of normality/average. Again I ask, how often do you call your ex-girlfriend's husband to tell him what a mistake he's made by marrying her?

Lastly, let me go to the trouble of including the quote from the Autoweek F430 article that you neglected to include in your posting...."Granted, the 911 S cabrio hits an entirely separate price point at $88,900, is the king of its braket, and it could be argued, many higher brackets too." I'd like to see Ferrari design and build a car as competent as the 911 and have to sell it for what the 911 sells for. I don't think they could do it and even if they could, people like you probably wouldn't want it because you're more interested in exclusivity than the vehicle's other attributes. To each his own.

Quote:
    Carrera GT I am known as the attorney you want to try your case against. I lose them all.

I do hope your kidding I bet your pretty good seeing how you own a Ferrari 360CS

I was having lunch outside on Newbury St the other day and this real prick wearing a ferrari hat was giving the hostess [censored] becuase he had been waiting for 5 minutes, as the hostess was my friend and she was pretty upset I decided to step in. I was with a couple of friends mostly girls. The guy then starts hitting on one of my friends in table, so then I step in to talk to him and ask him. "Hey do you have a Ferrari or just the hat" that got his ego down, he replied just the hat and looked down. All the girls started laughing including the hostess and it was pretty funny. All in all I felt like I was the [censored] and probably wont ever say that again, but this guy was really asking for it. I hope to one day own a ferrari hat, but I will only do it if it comes free with the purchase of the car

Just read an article that Acer Computer licenses the Ferrari name for a notebook computer. Can toasters and iPods be far behind? I'll search Google and see if I can find a link or pic.

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    Just read an article that Acer Computer licenses the Ferrari name for a notebook computer. Can toasters and iPods be far behind? I'll search Google and see if I can find a link or pic.

I'm working right now on the Ferrari Acer, and it's over 1 years old, ......

Quote:
    Patriek said:
    Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:

I'm working right now on the Ferrari Acer, and it's over 1 years old, ......

Given Ferrari's reputation, I'm surprised that they'd license their name to Acer (a low end computer manufacturer) rather than Apple, IBM, HP or Dell.

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    Given Ferrari's reputation, I'm surprised that they'd license their name to Acer (a low end computer manufacturer) rather than Apple, IBM, HP or Dell.

I guess that Apple, IBM, HP and Dell would want their products associated with the concepts reliability, durability, and low maintenance, which would rule out Ferrari.

A red Apple?

Quote:
    brunner said:
    A red Apple?

Sweeter than a green Ferrari .....?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761565 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434873 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260236 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257371 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80858 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871703 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807031 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM