Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Carrera 4 is coming

The Carrera 4 is coming this autumn, we just got this in from a reliable source. Rennteamers actually knew it before, right?!
    Right now it seems that the Carrera 4 gets the 355 HP 3.8 l engine and a slightly wider body with some little differences in the front part too.
    The Carrera 4 S is rumoured to get the 380/381 HP 3.8 l "powerkit engine", body width is the same as with the Carrera 4.
    We don't have any information about a Cab version yet.

Again: the Carrera 4 is practically "confirmed", the Carrera 4 S is still a rumour but a pretty strong one.

Re: 997 Carrera 4 is coming

Wow! Cool info.
    Wonder if they do the cab. or not and if so what does all this mean for the timimg of the Turbo ?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Right now it seems that the Carrera 4 gets the 355 HP 3.8 l engine and a slightly wider body with some little differences in the front part too.
    The Carrera 4 S is rumoured to get the 380/381 HP 3.8 l "powerkit engine", body width is the same as with the Carrera 4.

Thanks for the confirmation RC!
    So NO 997 Carrera 4 with 325 hp then humm...
    Wonder what the front differences will be?
    Thanks!

i'm betting on a more aggressive front spoiler, perhaps somewhere between the 987 boxster and 996 4S.

could you estimate the price? wont it be greater than 996 C4 and 996 C4S?

So will the C2S be sold as more of a "driver's car" than the C4? Presumably the C4 will be slower than the C2S due to extra weight, and I guess the C4S will be about as quick as the C2S?

It slightly frustrates me that a four wheel drive varient may be portrayed as more of a driver's car when it strikes me as an unlikely outcome. You are bound to lose some steering feel compared to the rear wheel drive C2S and I guess it would be a lot harder to get the rear end out when required....

the C4S will be noticeable more quicker than the C2S thats very normal if it has 380 HP its 25 more HP!!!

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    the C4S will be noticeable more quicker than the C2S thats very normal if it has 380 HP its 25 more HP!!!

How much heavier though ?

like the c4 but in the 996 the acceleration times were not that different and the HP was the same, now it has 380 as standard? really amazing, it might cost more though than the 996

It will be fairly tied IMO becuase of the added weight of the AWD and its only 25HP difference. Look at the 300HP pre-2002 996C2 vs the facelifted post-2002 320HP 996C2, their accelerations are the same due to the weight increase in 2002. And with the AWD there is the added effect of the greater power loss from greater friction of moving parts drive train.

Also if the C4 version is going to be a bit wider, we have to find out if that will mean wider track or not as well, becuase if the track is widened, the car will get heavier due to the necesariy changes in the chasis/suspensions. This may affect acceleration even more.

As to the track, I still think the 355HP 997C2S will be faster than the 380HP 997C4S, but the difference in handling behaviour will be the main differnce. The AWD being safer and easier to hadle at the limit and grippier in slippery surfaces, and the RWD being more agile and sportier in behaiviour in its handling. A matter of personal taste.

I can't wait to see one in-person. In the 996 era, the C4S was the ONLY car I was interested in, mostly because the voluptuous body was really a plus on the 996, as was the nose, as were the taillights, compared to standard form. But with the 997, all of my dislikes regarding the 996 were addressed, and then some. I absolutely LOVE my C2S body style, the nose, the hips, the new angled rear lights, the fat and aggressive rear tires, the entire package. It's like a bulls-eye, the perfect proportion and balance, just the right aggressive stance. Now I'm wondering if the wide-body version won't just look too plump, and too busy/clumsy in the nose, for me. I'm NOT trying to justify-in-advance the fact that I didn't wait for the C4S, I'm not going to be a sour-grapes dude. These are my honest thoughts. It's almost as if they really ARE back at the level and pinnacle, stylewise, that they were at with the 993. Where a standard C2 was such a perfect balance of proportions and styling cues, that the Turbo or C4S was kind of a step backwards in beauty and proportion, in order to gain function. Of course, that's just my view. Many, I'm sure, will say that wider is always better.

Cool info RC thanks

Quote:
    Fanch said:

Round fog lights a la Cayman

Great RC..

are there some new rumors (also small) about 997Turbo or 997GT3??

ciaoo

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Cool info RC thanks

Quote:
    Fanch said:

Round fog lights a la Cayman

Sorry, but you're kidding, aren't you?

I hope not!!!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I can't wait to see one in-person. In the 996 era, the C4S was the ONLY car I was interested in, mostly because the voluptuous body was really a plus on the 996, as was the nose, as were the taillights, compared to standard form. But with the 997, all of my dislikes regarding the 996 were addressed, and then some. I absolutely LOVE my C2S body style, the nose, the hips, the new angled rear lights, the fat and aggressive rear tires, the entire package. It's like a bulls-eye, the perfect proportion and balance, just the right aggressive stance. Now I'm wondering if the wide-body version won't just look too plump, and too busy/clumsy in the nose, for me. I'm NOT trying to justify-in-advance the fact that I didn't wait for the C4S, I'm not going to be a sour-grapes dude. These are my honest thoughts. It's almost as if they really ARE back at the level and pinnacle, stylewise, that they were at with the 993. Where a standard C2 was such a perfect balance of proportions and styling cues, that the Turbo or C4S was kind of a step backwards in beauty and proportion, in order to gain function. Of course, that's just my view. Many, I'm sure, will say that wider is always better.

I completely agree with you. I always wanted a 996 C4S for exactly the same reasons, but now I feel the 997 shape is just perfect. I wouldn't even want any body kit and have to say that the spy shots I have seen so far for the turbo don't really float my boat.

There could be an element of convincing myself that I was right in not waiting for the four wheel drive varient, but I hope not. I just hope that the C4S is not reviewed in the press in such a way as to imply the C2S is now redundant.

I too liked the look of the 996 C4S, but I didn't want an all wheel drive. If I could have got a 996 C4S cab body with rear wheel drive only I would have been a buyer.

The 997 gave me what I was looking for. I like its curves and the change in the front and rear lights. I am not sure how much wider the 997 needs to be to satisfy the "wide freeks". I thought the 993 widebodys took things too far. They looked a little odd with their bowed out rear ends.

When you can already get 295/30 19's in the rear with the standard 997 body what tires will they put on a wide body? They kept making the old air-cooled 911 bodies wider to accomodate the desired wider tires. What is gained making the 997 wider?

Phil

Quote:
    I thought the 993 widebodys took things too far. They looked a little odd with their bowed out rear ends.

My point precisely. At what point does the traditional turbo "wide body" become a mockery of itself? It's like (if I may be a bit sexist-piggish, my apologies in advance to the ladies) a female's breasts. At one size, they look lovely.... a little bigger, and hey, that REALLY looks nice! But still natural....but then, you see some big honking bolt-on silicone/saline mountains, each the size of a basketball, and it's "good God, that's just RIDICULOUS looking..". So there's indeed a point of balance, and I'm very in-tune with the balance of the current 997. Hope that analogy is taken in the spirit it was intended...

Thanks for the confirmation RC.

Quote:
    So NO 997 Carrera 4 with 325 hp then humm...

I agree.. was hoping for one of those. While the power might have be suffering due to the bigger weight, it would still be 4wd, would look just perfect in the standard 997 form and come for a lower price (or so I would speculate) .

/edit Lower price than the wide version, that is.

Lets see how it's going to look like...

Quote:
    RC said:
    The Carrera 4 is coming this autumn, we just got this in from a reliable source. Rennteamers actually knew it before, right?!
    We don't have any information about a Cab version yet.

Again: the Carrera 4 is practically "confirmed", the Carrera 4 S is still a rumour but a pretty strong one.

I'm looking forward to its reveal! Oh my God I'm so impatient! But nevertheless, I'll wait and see how it will look like in real.

Please, hold us further up-to-date. Thanks a lot!

When will Porsche make a wide body 2WD for us that don't like AWD?

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    When will Porsche make a wide body 2WD for us that don't like AWD?

It could be, that Porsche will never bild a 997 S widebody like they did in the past with the 993 2S. I would also love to see the widebody as "normal" Carrera without 4WD. The wider body seems to me more show the practical use and Porsche is not really a "showcar-builder".
    "Form follows function!"

Why couldn't a two wheel drive car have a wide body? I'd love wider tires on a C2.

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    Why couldn't a two wheel drive car have a wide body? I'd love wider tires on a C2.

So do I, Texas911... It might look great but there is no real practical use and more show. It's how I think, I would be very pleased if I'm wrong with my thinking.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

It may be your view, but I absolutely second that!
    997 is perfect concerning width and overall proportions, so a wider body may harm that perfect balance. But plus 40 mm (that means 20 mm left and 20 mm right) ain't too much either. Well, I guess we will have to wait and see.

One more thing:
    IMHO I think Porsche is afraid of not selling enough C4 if it was exactly the same as the C2. Simply because the 997/S is such a good car.
    So they decided to give the C4 a wider body, some extra punch and perhaps even some design tweaks.
    As well as they can charge you 10k or so more.
    Well, just my 2c.

Sounds true, Rossi!

On the other hand I am surprised how many C4 were sold of the 996 model (alongside automatic transmissions ) so there must be a reason for some people to do so.

I do in fact wonder what advantages people see in the widebody versions. The 4S models definately had the advantage of turbo suspension and brakes, besides that the AWD in the 993 was definately added value.

As you said, the 996 and 997 2WD models are already amazing regarding traction, handling and looks, so there must be some other reasons for the S-models' success.

I do in fact tend to believe that the wider tires and higher weight make it even more unnecessary to equip the current S-models with AWD...

Just MY 02 cents

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

I think I'm the 4th person to post my agreement with you. The 996C4S was the first Porsche I ever drove, and almost bought....The 997 has a much improved interior too

Thanks again RC for keeping our adrenaline going. Porsche clearly improved the aesthetics of the 997 C2 over the 996 C2. The 996 C4S is already a great looking car so there is serious potential for a really special 997 C4(S) IMHO.

All this is great news.... as I am 1st on my dealer's pre order list for a 997c4s .
    I do agree with the perfect proportions of the 997 c2/s and, idealy I would like the normal shape with 4WD (better in this country, as it will be my all year round car).
    I do hope that the wide body will not be too wide...not gain too much weight...as I want performance and not too much 'show'. The extra HP is a good thing to compensate the extra weight from AWD. I do question the price encrease...!!!??? More power, 4WD, wider body... How much more will it cost compared to C2S ?
    I could change for a 997 C4...and that would put me 5th on my dealer's list, as he kept a 'space 'for me.
    I want to see these cars!!!!! NOW !!!
    My dealer has told me in february that the cars would come in october, I guess he was right.
    Any suggestions?

Quote:
    gnil said:
    All this is great news.... as I am 1st on my dealer's pre order list for a 997c4s .
    I do agree with the perfect proportions of the 997 c2/s and, idealy I would like the normal shape with 4WD (better in this country, as it will be my all year round car).
    I do hope that the wide body will not be too wide...not gain too much weight...as I want performance and not too much 'show'. The extra HP is a good thing to compensate the extra weight from AWD. I do question the price encrease...!!!??? More power, 4WD, wider body... How much more will it cost compared to C2S ?
    I could change for a 997 C4...and that would put me 5th on my dealer's list, as he kept a 'space 'for me.
    I want to see these cars!!!!! NOW !!!
    My dealer has told me in february that the cars would come in october, I guess he was right.
    Any suggestions?

Concerning price increase I heard something about 10k.

Regarding the widebody and the already perfect shape of the 997/S: the often reported increase in width of a mere 40 mm may not be that noticeable as the widebody of earlier models. So proportions still should be alright and those who get the C4 still can say "Mine is longer", er, I meant "wider" .

Please, keep us up-to-date! Thanks!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760639 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434352 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259998 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257136 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871252 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806417 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM