Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

MP3 for MY 2006 - a little clarification

A lot of people are asking about the "new" MP3 option available for MY 2006, I already got several PMs and emails regarding this.
    There seems to be some sort of misunderstanding:
    the MY 2006 PCM 2 gets a MP3 capability for the internal CD player, nothing more and nothing less. It still isn't clear if the CD changer will have MP3 capability too but there is no way how to upload MP3 files to the PCM 2, you need to burn your MP3 files on a CD-ROM to be able to use it with the PCM 2.
    Advantage? Well, simple: usually you get around 16-18 songs on a CD-ROM. By using MP3 files, you can get up to around 200 and more songs (depending on the compression level) onto ONE SINGLE CD-ROM.

I hope this clarifies a little bit the confusion.

Re: MP3 for MY 2006 - a little clarification

Any info about the possibility to upgrade MY 2005 PCM to have this feature ?

RC, there has been a lot of discussion about when Porsche will start making MY2006 cars. Some have said as early as June and others believe they will begin making the 2006 models after the factory shut-down in August. Do you know when?

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    RC, there has been a lot of discussion about when Porsche will start making MY2006 cars. Some have said as early as June and others believe they will begin making the 2006 models after the factory shut-down in August. Do you know when?

Phil

Here is the answer PS CA:
    Production of 2006 model cars begins on the 15th of July.
    Then the factory shuts down in August for two weeks.
    So it seems the two events are not related.
    The powerkit however doesn't get introduced before September, don't know why, tha'ts just the way it is.

well MP3's a nice step forward! not the digital domain i was hoping for, but...

well, dont you think it should be included in the original launch of the model? I sure do...

Whatever happened to the Mini disc option? Not as good as MP3 but at least I could record my own favourites?

iPod link is all I need! Dont want to be messing around with CD's in my car anymore!! Or at least a MP3 hard drive change!!!!

Come on Porsche catch up!

I Pod would do - then I could "borrow" my daughter's

I've got an head unit that plays MP3 encoded CDs in my current drive, and that works well. You get about 15 albums worth onto one CD, but you need a computer to write the CDs with, and an MP3 encoding plug-in, in my case Windows Media Player, when you rip your CDs to the computer.

I carry half a dosen CDs in a soft case in the glove compartment, but only have to change the CD once every couple of weeks.

I'm hoping for an MP3 capable CD changer to appear. That would mean 6 x 15 = 90 albums worth permanently available.

IMHO, an iPod interface will only be 'in fashion' for 12 months before something else comes along. CD's have been with us for ages, so are a safer long-term bet. And with a CD changer, you don't have to dril mounting holes or route cables - The cars should already be prepped.

Trouble is it will have to be a Porsche 6CD player to be compatible with the MOST bus. So we are at their mercy on that, I guess.

....IMHO, an iPod interface will only be 'in fashion' for 12 months before something else comes along.....
    Hmmm, Not sure Apple would agree with you. 2nd Quarter sales 5.3m Ipods....I'd say reports of it death may be a little premature.

Quote:
    jfraser said:
    Hmmm, Not sure Apple would agree with you. 2nd Quarter sales 5.3m Ipods....I'd say reports of it death may be a little premature.

How many people still consider an original iMac current tech? Technology moves fast. MiniDiscs and DAT were a sharp new technology not so long ago... now they have been superceded by iPod-type compressed format media players. Similar problem with in-car nav systems. In a few years they are going to look awfully dated. I've nothing against Apple or their technology, but the pace of change of consumer electronics is just too great for me to consider specially irreversably modifying my car so that it copes with it. Ever been stuck with a hands-free mobile phone car kit plumbed into a car that just won't fit any of the new handsets, and a bunch of nice screw holes in the console?

Maybe I'm being a little over-the-top, but you get what I mean.

^^^totally disagree here, mate--

porsche dropped the ball bigtime with ipod-compatibility, that's obvious--

how many new owners have asked dealers about ipod-integration? 10,000???

wtsnet, nothing personal, but your argument is awfully contrived, isn't it? aren't "CDs" today's Minidiscs/DAT?? of course they are--so not only are we NOT getting the technology-du jour, we're also being spoon fed antiquated 8-track sound compared to what everyone else's on...

the iPod and various other personal mp3 players are the new standard of carrying music/other media around

most manufactuers/industries have accepted/realized this and adapted.

Technology moves fast. MiniDiscs and DAT were sharp

The big difference is the sheer volume of material you can carry with you in one small box. I have something like 600 CD's worth on mine. Try carrying 600 CD's in your car or Mini-discs or DAT. On top of that MP3/4 files can be transfered at will online with ease.

The next big thing for your car will be all of your music in a virtual storage system that you can access through the phone system or "personal" stations on satelite radio that only you can access.

Re: Technology moves fast. MiniDiscs and DAT were sharp

i really wish they had a adapter like bmw for porsche. Its nice having 2500 songs right next to u.. and u can listen to them anytime. with just a scroll and a click

I'd love to have an iPod integrated into PCM, and would love it to display on the dash display. Who cares about what the next format will be, I only care about now. And right now I have a 60gig iPod that I want to use in my 997.

Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    wtsnet, nothing personal, but your argument is awfully contrived, isn't it? aren't "CDs" today's Minidiscs/DAT?? of course they are--so not only are we NOT getting the technology-du jour, we're also being spoon fed antiquated 8-track sound compared to what everyone else's on...

I'm just talking about CDs as being the transport mechanism for the mp3s. CDs have stayed the distance for about 20 years, so they are a well established technology. If I was Porsche, I would be looking to put effort into compatibility with a technology that historically has some legs on it, rather than onto something like the iPod that will >probably< rapidly be superceded. Realise I'm talking about the storage and transport mechanism, rather than the format (mp3) itself. I would probably see more of a move towards mp3 on DVD. The thing is, the CD-type format is backward compatible. I would imagine that if you had a PCMII type thing that could read DVDs, you would have the possiblity for a) Playing normal CD audio, b) Playing mp3 encoded CD audio, c) Playing mp3 encoded DVD audio ,d) Playing DVD video (on the PCM screen)... So for very little expense and without the need for an external player that you'd have to make an interface for that may be obsolete in 12 months, you can have an in-dash solution that covers loads of different bases.

Rambled on a bit there, but... you are all entitled to your own opinions. In my opinion a CD/DVD based mp3 factory fitted solution would best address the needs of the past and future.

I think Apple are selling iPods by the shed load because they have become a fashionable item in today's society, and they've got the marketing dead right. There's plenty of other portable media players made by other manufacturers that are equally good if not better.

Oh, and CD's being 8-track sound? The quality of an uncompressed CD is better than a compressed mp3 track. But when you're in the car, it doesn't matter due to the ambient noise levels.

Just a little extra thought - I concede that iPods are probably excellent if you want to take your whole music collection with you when you leave the car, but I think the iPod interface should probably be left to a 3rd party, or even Apple. (What about interfaces to mp3 players by Rio, or iRiver, or Sony, or...? If I were Porsche, I'd leave it to a 3rd party niche accessory company).

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    The next big thing for your car will be all of your music in a virtual storage system that you can access through the phone system or "personal" stations on satelite radio that only you can access.

I agree that streaming the music wirelessly directly from a box in your living room (or stored on the web) to whereever you are in the world is the ultimate conclusion. However you'd probably have to pay for the communications bandwidth (I would assume in this country it would be via the 3G high-bandwidth telephone network) so it'll be a couple of years before the prices for that come down to a level that people would want to adopt it. It's about 80p a Mb at the moment, which translates to about Pounds3 a track.

I doubt if any amount of HiFi technology will make it sound as good as that flat 6 engine. I went to the expense of Bose sound in my car and I hardly ever listen to it. If I was speccing my car with the benefit of hindsight I would have saved the money.

what do you mean hindsight?my poor vocabulary i guess..:(

With the benefit of experience. Your English is many times better than my Greek

where's a/d/s/ and iPod for the 997???

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Just a little extra thought - I concede that iPods are probably excellent if you want to take your whole music collection with you when you leave the car, but I think the iPod interface should probably be left to a 3rd party, or even Apple. (What about interfaces to mp3 players by Rio, or iRiver, or Sony, or...? If I were Porsche, I'd leave it to a 3rd party niche accessory company).

I fully agreed. All it takes is that Porsche provides an easy accessible interface, preferably one in the cockpit and one in the trunk. The "technical" definition of the interface (which would need to come from MOST) needs to be public so that any company interested can develop its own gadgets or just connectors.

Life could be so easy.

As has been said before though, exposing a MOST interface isn't enough - you need compatible software/drivers as well.

MOST defines the low-level protocol on the bus, but doesn't formalise what that protocol is used for. Think of it as being a bit like Ethernet - just because two hosts have ethernet ports doesn't mean they can communicate. They need a common protocol (e.g. TCP/IP), and a common set of software (e.g. SMB or NFS for file sharing, depending on whether you're a windows or unix user).

So in your Porsche, the PCM, CD changer etc are connected via MOST, but the protocol they use to communicate is (I believe) Becker-specific.

Gary

Quote:
    Gaz said:
    As has been said before though, exposing a MOST interface isn't enough - you need compatible software/drivers as well.

MOST defines the low-level protocol on the bus, but doesn't formalise what that protocol is used for. Think of it as being a bit like Ethernet - just because two hosts have ethernet ports doesn't mean they can communicate. They need a common protocol (e.g. TCP/IP), and a common set of software (e.g. SMB or NFS for file sharing, depending on whether you're a windows or unix user).

So in your Porsche, the PCM, CD changer etc are connected via MOST, but the protocol they use to communicate is (I believe) Becker-specific.

Gary

Too complicated for the average Rennteam member. A better analogy would be the telephone. It allows people to communicate like the MOST bus but if people from different countries do not speak the same language, the telephone is useless because they still cannot talk to each other similar to incompatible MOST systems.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Too complicated for the average Rennteam member.

Gaz speak white man's magic

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781385 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442698 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263415 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261768 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85886 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5948 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881527 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819237 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM