Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Here is a photo of Port of Emden Germany

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    My dealer will call the port and request to expedite delivery next Tuesday.

I just got off the phone with my salesman. He claims you cannot expedite a car. He says they are not allowed to call the port. It is just a matter of waiting for updates.

He just checked the computer for a status on my car. It showed it offloaded from the ship on 4/19, was awaiting PDI on 4/20 and completed PDI later on 4/20. Now it is just waiting for a truck to bring it to the dealership. I still have a chance of getting it this week. I was glad to see it breeze through PDI. No visit to the mechanic or paint shop.

Hope you car gets through as quickly.

Phil

Phil, they have two boats load of cars and they can't wait to get rid of them as they have no room for all these cars. My dealer called them and they said early next week and they told him to go away. I still say next Wed is when I will get my car. This wknd will be the last wknd w/o the topless 997S. AHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Phil, they have two boats load of cars and they can't wait to get rid of them as they have no room for all these cars. My dealer called them and they said early next week and they told him to go away. I still say next Wed is when I will get my car. This wknd will be the last wknd w/o the topless 997S. AHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

My salesman called me back to tell me that they were invoiced for my car this afternoon. He says that the cars are supposed to be delivered to the dealer within 48 hours of invoicing. So, he thinks there is a very good chance I will get my car on Friday. The thing I was concerned with was whether they had other cars ready to go on the transport truck. My salesman had 3 other cars that he had sold on this ship and they all showed the same status as my car. Within the dealership there were several more on this ship, but he didn't bother checking their status.

According to my salesman, this is the first ship in a couple of weeks and the next one isn't due until the end of the month.

I'll check again tomorrow. Fortunately my salesman is working every day this week.

Phil

Wow, lucky you Phil. I am 500mi from the port and most likely will be pushed to next week but you never know. The status on my car says PDI/San diego and not sure if this means they invoiced. I will ask tomorrow. Good hint Phil ! Getting VERY CLOSE

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Wow, lucky you Phil. I am 500mi from the port and most likely will be pushed to next week but you never know. The status on my car says PDI/San diego and not sure if this means they invoiced. I will ask tomorrow. Good hint Phil ! Getting VERY CLOSE

Here are some of status your car can show after arrival in San Diego (in order):
    IMPPRT: Vehicle at U.S. Port (PDI)
    PDIFIN: Vehicle finished PDI
    INVDLR: Invoiced dealer
    INVSHP: Invoiced and shipped to dealer (at this time I think the dealer gets a fax showing the cars are on on the way)
    DLRARR: Arrived at dealership

Because of the distance I agree that it could take an extra day to get to your dealer. My dealer is 2 hours from the port, so even if the truck doesn't leave until Friday I should still be able to get it on Friday. My salesman says they only need about 2 hours to prep it for delivery to me.

Phil

Thanks Phil. You have such good info and it should be helpful for all waiters. I'll call dealer 1st thing AM and get the status code.

Some additional info for the east coast guys, it appears the ship I'm waiting on is the Orion Highway (not the Atlantic Companion), due into Baltimore tomorrow (Friday 4/21). Due to be unloaded not later than noon on Saturday, according to Don in operations at Inchcape Shipping Services, the agent for the Orion. My sales guy doesn't know when it will be transported up here to NJ, says it has been taking 2 weeks in some cases to get thru customs. I'm hoping I have it by the 29th, but I won't hold my breath.

Phil, thanks again for the follow up and info, you are a true gentleman.

Phil,
    If you have confidence in your dealers detailing prep work no big deal but my dealer has instructions to leave the car as is. Most dealers either contract the work out or have unskilled kids preping the car. I've asked my dealer to leave the protective white film on the car, I'm bringing it straight to a professional. If I can get the timing right my car will go directly from the dealer to the same place that did the 3m body armour on my Ferrari. http://www.detailingdynamics.com/

It may be different for some dealerships but I know a fair share of people that have gotten brand new cars with swirl marks. You would never bring your car to a dealer for a detail so why let them do the most important one ?
    Another thing I told my dealer was NOT to screw holes into the front bumper for a licenese plate. Some dealers are doing it automatically.

Also, I have a question - Based on how you have been following the way PORSCHE sends vehicles how long would you estimate it takes from the time a car is completed at the factory to reach a dealership in NY ?(close to NYC)

Stradale,

I am as particular about my car as the next guy. I have never had a problem with the detailers at my dealership. If you ask my wife she will tell you than I am a fanatic. I won't take the car to certain places because I don't like their parking lot. If I can't find a relatively safe end spot I will leave any parking lot. I clean everything on the car on a regular basis included inside of wheels and wheel wells, etc.

Having said all of that I have debated getting the 3M clear shield and have decided that I like the look of the car without it more than my desire to never get a rock ding. I look at it sort like my old aunt who put a plastic cover on her sofa. If she didn't get to enjoy the feel of the cloth who will??? The next owner? So I put plastic on the front of my car to save it for the next owner? I don't believe that it is as invisible as some say. I know how bad I think the stip Porsche applies in front of the rear wheel well looks. Why apply every fancy wax in the world on my car to get the "deep" look when part of it will have a mask on it? I just sold a 7 year old Porsche that didn't have a single door ding, no body work, perfect leather, etc. The buyer thought it looked better than their year old BMW. Did it have some rock dings in the front? Yes? But I got to enjoy the full luster of the paint without a plastic mask. Maybe I just haven't seen a proper installation of the plastic.

As far as transit times for your car, here is my best guess. From the completion date of your car it can take up to 14 days to get on a vessel. From recent info I have seen it takes 11 to 14 days to get from Germany to Baltimore. At that point it should take no more than 7 days to get to your dealer. In my case, the ship arrived Monday night, off-loaded vehicles on Tuesday, car went thru PDI Wednesday, dealer invoice same day and finally the car showed ready to ship later Wednesday. A lot of what happens at PDI has to do with their congestion. The one here hadn't had a ship recently, so they jumped on the new arrivals. I am hoping for a Friday delivery.

Phil

You're probably right. You haven't seen it done right. Done right it is basically invisible. I'll probably take off the film that PORSCHE puts on the side and replace it so the sides are tucked into the wheel well. There's not a person that's looked at my Ferrari that notices the whole front of the car and sides along the bottom were done with 3M. It's as if the paint has many more layers of clear coat. It's probably very different where you're from but in the Northeast the roads are literally full of pebbles and sand left over from the winters sand trucks and open potholes. A while back it killed me when I saw a chip on the front of my 996TT. I am so anal about that kinda thing, it drives me crazy to look at chipped paint when it's so easy to prevent. Guess it's different for different people. If you rather have dings and chips because you think the paint looks better then having the film which would bother you then that's your preference. One of the great things about the film is you can remove it at anytime without damage to the paint.
    I'm not just installing the 3M on my PORSCHE for the "next guy" although in NY the film has almost become a necessary expectation from other car nuts looking to buy pre-owned exotics, I'm doing it for piece of mind. I did once look away from buying this used 996 once because of the chips on the front bumper. There was a guy posting here a couple of weeks ago from my area that said he noticed 3 or 4 chips in the front of his 997 after only a week owning the car. In my area even if you can avoid front chips there's no way of avoiding sandblasting the paint behind each wheel. Even in CA there's no way around pitting the paint in the wheel wells. It's all a matter of personal preference of course. I was very skeptical about the whole idea kind of thinking like you about your "aunt" until I had the installs done on my cars. At first I only did behind each wheel (tucked into the wheel wells) because I really didn't like the idea of covering the paint until I saw it done professionally on the front bumper. Now instead of cringing everytime I have to drive over some sand or pebbles I know the car has a fighting chance. I don't get anything $ wise out of pitching the stuff. There's car nut friends of mine that have gone through the same thing of being so disgsuted with chips and dings that have had it done and they're so happy about it. That makes me happy.

THANKS for the estimate for delivery of my car.

Stradale,

Just out of curiosity I called a couple of guys who install "clear bras". One guy quoted $608.50 for the bumper, hood, top of fender and mirror kit. He uses 3M vinyl. Another guy wasn't as keen on 3M. He uses something called Venture and he wanted big bucks, $1395 for the same areas I mentioned above. He has been in the biz for years and said that 3M was okay (and he can use it if you want), but he said this Venture stuff was clearer and its texture more closely matched the paint. He said you could use either on a silver car, but he said he would not use 3M on a black car. This guy has owned 30 Porsches and is closely affiliated with the local Porsche club.

He said he would be glad to install a small piece of the three different films he can use on my car. First I have to decide if I even want it and then who to use.

Phil

I decided to go w/o the bra to be able to wax my car properly. Try to keep good distance from the car in front.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Stradale,

Just out of curiosity I called a couple of guys who install "clear bras". One guy quoted $608.50 for the bumper, hood, top of fender and mirror kit. He uses 3M vinyl. Another guy wasn't as keen on 3M. He uses something called Venture and he wanted big bucks, $1395 for the same areas I mentioned above. He has been in the biz for years and said that 3M was okay (and he can use it if you want), but he said this Venture stuff was clearer and its texture more closely matched the paint. He said you could use either on a silver car, but he said he would not use 3M on a black car. This guy has owned 30 Porsches and is closely affiliated with the local Porsche club.

He said he would be glad to install a small piece of the three different films he can use on my car. First I have to decide if I even want it and then who to use.

Phil

Phil,
    Honestly I don't know which make of film is on my cars.
    I have to talk with Detailing Dynamics later about something else, I'll find out then.

My car has arrived at the dealer

I just got a phone call from my dealer advising me that they were unloading my car from the transport. They said I should be able to pick it up within a couple of hours.

YAHOO!!!!!!!!

I give a report and hopefully post some pictures soon.

Phil

Re: My car has arrived at the dealer

All right Phil. Post pics and enjoy the ride home. No news on my car. Hopefully nexty week.

Just got the call from the dealer and the truck has arrived and my car is HERE but will not be ready until tomorrow afternoon. Will be a tough 24 hrs. Hope you are enjoying your new car.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Just got the call from the dealer and the truck has arrived and my car is HERE but will not be ready until tomorrow afternoon. Will be a tough 24 hrs. Hope you are enjoying your new car.

I am happy for you. I have had a fun weekend with my new car. It is a lot different than my '99 996. I would say improved in every way. The thing I noticed first was the engine sound. My 996 had lots of whirling sounds coming from the engine compartment with not a lot of exhaust note until high rpm's. The 997 has less engine sounds but a lot more exhaust sound. It sounds a lot different just taking off. The car rides/handles better and is more solid. It is considerably more powerful (but won't know by how much until I get past break-in).

I was able to program the GPS system without looking at the manual since it operated a little like the one in my wife's Benz. Setting the stations on the radio required some reading. Got the garage door openers to work on the first tries. I installed the clear side marker lights and it looks so much better on a silver car.

I have driven it top up and down and it is great both ways. Nothing broken yet and I feel like I have figured out most of the functions. I got 25 MPG during a 70 - 75 MPH trip down the freeway. Before you get too excited I also got 11.4 MPG driving through the city streets in my home town. Can't say enough good things about the car and the dealer from which it was purchased, Newport Beach Porsche (and a great salesman, Elden Lauterbach)

Phil

All right Phil, sounds like you are really enjoying the the car. Its Worth every penny, ha?
    For me it's been one long wait. I originaly ordered the 997S coup in october and changed to 997S cab in Dec.
    I have a PSE on order w/o any deposit and probably can drop the order if the stock exhuast sounds like you mention. Per your advise I sked them to send the nav disk and it is here for tomorrow's delivery, thanks for the hnt Phil. I also asked them not to polish the car. Did they polish your car or you are doing it yourself? I like the 25MPG but got to get use to the 11MPH. I will have more update tmorrow. I just hope no system fault on the 1st dy

Silverrules,

All my dealer did was to wash the car. I won't immediately do anything.....I don't mind letting the paint dry a little more before I do anything. My car is a garage queen with no daily exposure. Some One Grand Blitz wax a couple of weeks from now should be its first treatment,

I am now considering a clear bra for the car. I have all of 160 miles on it and two rock dings already. The artic silver paint is impossible to touch up....where I tried it comes out a much different color. I had the same problem with my wife's silver Mercedes. Solid colors are much easier to touch-up. I had said earlier that dings are just a part of car ownership, but to get 2 within 3 days and 160 miles is just too much. I got one of them on the trip home from the dealership.

I placed a call to the local clear bra guru and I am going to decide when I talk to him if I will proceed. It isn't cheap since it appears it will cost in excess of $1000.

I can't imagine needing the PSE in a cab. I echo when I drive through my neighborhood. If it was any louder they would probably call the cops.

Enjoy your day tomorrow. Nothing like taking delivery of a new car (except the delivery of a new baby).

Phil

Phil, Tomroorow is one special day indeed. Sorry to hear abut the paint chips. Just ignore them for now and look at other goodies nd spots but knowing the people that drive these cars we will alwsy see them and get use to them and probably wax them with extra care Not much that can be done.
    I am beggining to think about the usefulness of the PSE if the sound is as you indicated with the top down. I will know more tomorrow, OHHH YESSSSS.

When can we expect pictures Phil?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780533 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442478 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263281 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261590 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85745 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5891 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881323 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818569 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM