Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Police scanner countermeasures needed!!!!!

This fall the Danish government in its infinate wisdom, will start the new "three strikes - out" policy for Danish drivers.
    If you FUBAR in traffic and get caught 3 times in 3 years...it's a new theory test, then driver's ed...and then God knows.

E.g. if you drive more than 30% faster than allowed 3 times in three yrs....arrividerci drivers license.
    Gonna be a tough one to avoid.
    I managed to get two tickets for speeding in 2 weeks during March

So,...I NEED THE BEST ANTI-RADAR-LASER-TRACTORBEAM-GPS gizmo you can get.
    Something that warns about photocops, laser, radar....anything.
    What should I get?
    I'm thinking about getting a Valentine 1...poor Mike needs help with the gas for that cardboard car he's driving.
    What else works? And I mean WORKS!
    I want the best, not some toy that goes off every two seconds for no reason.

This thingy is supposed to save my drivers license!! LOL!

Gimme your best shot! Thanks.

Re: Police scanner countermeasures needed!!!!!

Get the Valentine, it is truly the best unit out there.

The commercial automobile ACTIVE radar jammers dont seem to work as advertised and probably are not even legal in your country anyway.

Read on for gratuitous humor ...

You can always visit your local NATO outlet store. A couple of gallons of TDK anti ferrite paint that absorbs milliwave transmissions (sadly its only available in orange for bridges or matte black for aircraft), some radar absorbent material from a B2 bomber glued onto the bumper and front trunk, and the laser warning system from a M1 Abrams tank will help. Don't get the stuff from German Leopard tanks because it never worked right to begin with.

If all of that is too much bother, email a tiny South Pacific country (Solomon Islands?)and work a deal to be their Danish consul. Diplomatic immunity is usually the best speeding ticket repellant.

IMHO, I think V1 is the best one you can get. On the hand, Blinder M40 can jam the laser gun effectively.

think outside the box folks, all he needs to to forge a new identity each time he gets a ticket.

Outside the box is where I live. He should become a cop. Then he can speed all he wants.

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    He should become a cop. Then he can speed all he wants.

If he can't beat 'em...

If I may say, Doc, you would look fetching in the Danish uniform. Why not try one on for size. Do I smell a Photoshop in the making?

Otherwise, Doc, in addition to investing in detectors and passive lidar jammers, try to apply the following to your driving and also search for the Danish equivalent or formulate your own version:
    http://autopedia.com/html/speeding.html

By the way, what's a suitable Danish name equivalent for "Bubba," the jail cell mate?

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    I NEED THE BEST ANTI-RADAR-LASER-TRACTORBEAM-GPS gizmo you can get.
    Something that warns about photocops, laser, radar....anything.
    What should I get?
    I'm thinking about getting a Valentine 1...poor Mike needs help with the gas for that cardboard car he's driving.
    What else works? And I mean WORKS!
    I want the best, not some toy that goes off every two seconds for no reason.

This thingy is supposed to save my drivers license!! LOL!

Gimme your best shot! Thanks.

GPS is great as it locates the fixed and regular mobile camera sites, BUT you need the GPS mapping for it to work. Now there is a new venture for you! The fixed camera types such as Gatso and Truvelo are passive, so radar / laser detectors will NOT detect them. The authorities here actually encourage the GPS systems as they highlight accident blackspots. The Road Safety Bill that was going to ban laser detection here has been binned as the result of our forthcoming General Election. It is now 2 years + away.

My Origin B2 is brilliant, much better than the Snooper S6 I have in my daily drive. The Snooper has been unreliable and the GPS database is months out of date. We have had a Truvelo speed camera in my village for 4 months now, and depite frequent uploading of it's location it is still not on their database. But it IS on the Origin one, without any updates from me. The Origin is also neater, has better alerts and costs no more money. The only drawback is that radar detection is optional (comes with laser and GPS as standard).Laser is used almost everywhere here now, radar is now only used in Dorset, I believe.

The best "countermeasure" is...not to get caught.
    Now I may sound like a smarta.. and I agree to some point. But this is really the BEST countermeasure to avoid getting a ticket.
    How not to get caught? Simple but effective: by using common sense on a public street.
    I try to explain: of course nobody really respects 100% the existing speed limits. But a good driver doesn't drive 100 mph in downtown or 50 mph in front of a school.
    So how not to get caught? By using your brain, your eyes and your stomach. When driving fast (or even when driving slowly), your brain and eyes should permanently "judge" the current driving conditions and driving situation, including street quality, traffic density, pedestrian density, stop lights, buildings, traffic signs, cars parked on the right, weather conditions, etc.
    So how the heck should this help to avoid getting caught? Simple: if you're carefully paying attention to the things happening around you, you'll certainly get to see a photo radar, video patrol car or even a laser gun pointing at you. Now you tell me you can't pay THAT much attention and you can't see THAT much or THAT far? Then...you're too fast. Another simple fact.
    In the past 20 years, I never got caught speeding. I always "smell" photo radar, light sensor traps or even laser guns (happened only twice in Italy).
    I have a very good eye-sight and 175% "clarity", I can see very far and very clearly. This is a huge advantage, I admit but there is also common sense. If there is a street in the city where only 60 kph are permitted and this street has two lanes for each direction and even goes straight for a few km, there is a very good chance that police will check the speed because it is "easy money" for them.

I could give you more examples but again: COMMON SENSE is a good start. And if you say you saw the photo radar but it was too late to slow down, then you were TOO FAST. Imagine this wasn't a photo radar but a little kid running over the street or a car exiting a parking lot.

When driving, I like it a lot to watch people how they drive and do some sort of analysis because it helps me too to become a better driver. I'd say that around 70% are driving like jerks, not using the turning lights, not maintaining a constant speed, braking too late, not keeping a safe distance to the car in front of them, etc.

A good driver has a good brain-arms-foot coordination.
    Meaning: at the same time he can look in the mirror(s), activate the turning light, brake, turn the steering wheel AND watch the things happening around him. How many people do that?
    And before I really start to sound like a smarta.. or even worst, like a teacher, a last word from my racing "mentor":
    "If you're driving like a jerk on the street, you're very likely driving like a jerk on the track too, meaning you're not a good driver.". He was always very upset regarding those amateur track drivers with a "knife between their teeth". On a public street, the "knife between the teeth" can kill people, it can kill YOU and it certainly isn't a good approach to become a "good" driver.

So if you want a radar/laser warner, get one. But make sure it is an additional help, not a gadget which helps you turn off your brains and shut your eyes. Because there are always video patrol cars out there, there are always light sensor traps out there and in some countries (like Austria or France for example), it is just enough if a policeman says you were too fast without any proof.

Drive safely and use your COMMON SENSE. It works, try it.

Quote:
    RC said:

I could give you more examples but again: COMMON SENSE is a good start. And if you say you saw the photo radar but it was too late to slow down, then you were TOO FAST. Imagine this wasn't a photo radar but a little kid running over the street or a car exiting a parking lot.

Drive safely and use your COMMON SENSE. It works, try it.

Agree with what you wrote RC.

But one place where it's hard not to get caught when speeding, even when paying attention, is the motorway. In France at least.

They hide everywhere and also use normal cars with embarked cameras.
    As a result, well, like you wrote, common sense
    But trust me, make sure your CD collection is really good because several hours at 140 kmh will seriously put you to sleep!

Now having said that, it is actually possible to drive fast on the french motorway but IMHO only during the day.

Watch out for
    Bridges
    small exits
    cars on the emergency lane
    white Fords estate
    blue Ford Estates
    before arriving at tool payzone, slow down!
    petrol stations and mostly at the bottom on long straights when the road goes into a long blind turn.

At night time, much harder, just keep it cool and enjoy something else.

Now when caught at over 250 kmh in France, you go straight to Jail! You have been warned!

As for the other tips from RC, agree 100% and I would go even further by stating that when in town, NEVER speed, simple as that, too much risk (pedestrians, kids playing ball, other cars, etc...)

Not good here in the UK on motorways, either. We have that cunning little device known as SPECS - a little gizmo that looks innocuous that times your AVERAGE speed over say 1 mile. And now mobile cameras on the M4, our busy motorway west out of London. It's these little things you need a detector for. I never, ever exceed the speed limit in 30mph built up areas. On an open "A" road, cross country with good visibility that's something else again. The Origin unit I mentioned actually has schools on it's database, so it is a safety device, not an excuse to drive at reckless, inappropriate speeds.

Dr. Phil, it's very easy for the gentleman to say this, when he can read the Stuttgarter Zeitung in the morning and get the location of all the speed camera set ups for the day or just barrel through the stretch of the Autobahn from Vaihingen to the airport--the section that has no speed limit. What Dr. Phil really needs is a revolving license plate like Mr. Bond. RC is very lucky to drive in Germany! I envy him, Dr. Phil.

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    What Dr. Phil really needs is a revolving license plate like Mr. Bond.

May be "Q" can come up with something?

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    May be "Q" can come up with something?

He retired. The new "Q" may help.

If he's not too busy running the Flying Circus or Fawlty Towers
    /uploads/94113-john_cleese.jpg

In terms of US drivers, I suggest (as long as money is not the issue) getting the V1 and a laser deflector. The V1 outperforms the Passport 8500 just as it advertised (I dual tested it). It gives you an extra 2-3 seconds on Ka band usually and that makes for a smoother break; one that is less suspicious than leaving tire marks.

In the U.S., laser jammers are illegal and quite foolish. What they do is jam the laser signal, and the police officer will yeild a ridiculous reading (i.e. 3 MPH or 999 MPH). My friend had one on his E46, and got shot. The cop immediately figured it out and pulled him over, found the jammer and impounded his car.

Deflectors on the other hand are illegal, because the FCC is unable to regulate light waves, so, by changing the angle of reflection, the officer doesn't recieve a return reading.

Nevertheless, what RC said is pretty much the accurate statement. I know plenty of people who have gotten MORE tickets since getting the V1, because they think that they're invincible with it. You need to be a conscious driver and speed when its appropriate/reasonable.

Ok, let me straighten something out.
    My two speeding tickets were collected driving 67 km/h where 60 km/h is allowed and driving 75 where 60 is allowed respectively. The latter was on a wide road, not a regular street with crossing pedestrians.

I normally drive very much like RC talks about. In fact I have gotten 4 tickets in the past 20 years of driving, and all of them going 10-15 km/h too fast.
    In that sense my tickets have been foolish or unneeded. The last 2 I received last month I simply drove into, KNOWING that the cops where in those two locations. D'oH!
    Talk about being senile...

I'm not looking for a gizmo that can render me invulnerable to police lasers in a school district or packed roads in the rush hour.
    I drive sensibly...I really do. I do! "Doobeedoobedoo! Straaaaangers in the headlight...exchanging brainmatter...deedaadeedadeee..." Ups, sorry.
    I want a device that can help me avoid "senseless" tickets on city streets and let me enjoy my car a bit more on the freeway.

Help?

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    I know plenty of people who have gotten MORE tickets since getting the V1, because they think that they're invincible with it.

And some are powerless without their detector. I taught my friend how to drive a car quickly without a detector. I hope he remembers to practice.

Driving in Europe without electronic aid must be a different ballgame.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    If he's not too busy running the Flying Circus or Fawlty Towers

The wage at Her Majesty's Secret Service isn't the same nowadays. One needs to supplement with additional incomes.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:
    I know plenty of people who have gotten MORE tickets since getting the V1, because they think that they're invincible with it.

And some are powerless without their detector. I taught my friend how to drive a car quickly without a detector. I hope he remembers to practice.

Driving in Europe without electronic aid must be a different ballgame.

The absolute worst is when you've driven with a V1 for about a week or two and then you stop suddenly. You feel naked and paranoid. Hah

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779807 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442363 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263170 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261476 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85686 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5843 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881190 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817981 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM