Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Isn't time for Porsche owners to get a definitive answer

as to what Porsches' position is regarding their warranty and tracking a car?

Porsche is reputed to be the premier sport car for performance driving and most people buy Porsche's for performance. The only safe place to enjoy the car close to its limit is on race track. Yet, by all reports Porsche will not honor the warranty should a mechanical failure occur during tracking events. Others, like Carlos (our esteem moderator ) tell a different story claim sometime they will and sometimes they wouldn't.

Why can't Porsche tell its customers what their position is? Today thousands of owners track/autocross their cars while in a state of fear that should their car fail during the event their warranty is lost or they need to fabricate the reason for the failure. They are basically given 'Hobson's Choice". Be honest and risk losing your warranty or lie. I just think that is unfair to the Porsche owners.

Can someone from Porsche given a honest answer to this question?

Re: Isn't time for Porsche owners to get a definitive answer

Just curious, what's Ferrari's position on the subject? Perhaps it will give us Porsche owners some leverage?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    as to what Porsches' position is regarding their warranty and tracking a car?

Porsche is reputed to be the premier sport car for performance driving and most people buy Porsche's for performance. The only safe place to enjoy the car close to its limit is on race track. Yet, by all reports Porsche will not honor the warranty should a mechanical failure occur during tracking events. Others, like Carlos (our esteem moderator ) tell a different story claim sometime they will and sometimes they wouldn't.

Can someone from Porsche given a honest answer to this question?

I am not from Porsche, but here is my experience:

I have done a few track outtings in my C4C incl. 3 rallye de Paris of which you've seen some pics recently.

After every track session, I've brought my car to the dealer for a "health check" (fluid levels, brake pads, tyres, etc.) they've never told me anything bad about tracking my car.

Now, you're gonna say: "but you've never had anything gone wrong?".
    True, but at the risk of sounding pro Porsche here, I don't see why anything should go wrong with the car?
    If I crash it, then my fault of course.

I've asked the question to my dealer about something going wrong with it on the track and they told me:
    "Well, just like on the open road, something goes wrong, we do a diagnostic and we fix it!", Simple as that Nick.

I think it might be down to dealer attitude after that because once the car has arrived at the dealer, it is my understanding that is is more the dealer's responsability than the manufacturer.

Anyway, as soon as I read your post, I called my friend from Ferrari and same thing, they will honor the warranty, but first run the electronic diagnostic of course.

Truth is, if Porsche wouldn't honor the warranty when their cars are tracked, it would be a huge deal in France bc a lot of Porsche owners are Members of Porsche Club de France or similar clubs and track their cars on a regular basis.

Now with insurrance companies, it's a whole other matter, you have to specify that you intend to track to car in a NON competitive manner and it's usually fine. No problem with me.

Personally, I've never heard of Porsche voiding warranty bc a car is tracked, sounds you have in the USA, which is a great shame and even scandalous!
    Any case in europe?

There you go. Hope it helped.

Most dealers approach this issue with common sense....if your air conditioning fails after a track outing, it will be fixed under warranty, if you miss a shift and rev the engine to 10,000 RPM it probably won't be covered....which I think is fair.

I don't think it helped him, Francois. Nick is not interested in facts and first hand knowledge, no matter how many times he is presented with it (your experience is the same as of every Porsche owner I know here in Spain who has tracked his Porsche as I have also mentioned it to him before this post). His intentions with these posts are pretty clear.

It would be nice to get a definitive answer though, because you still worry even if you think you may be covered. Aren't you a Lawyer Nberry? How hard would it be for Porsche to draw up a statement saying that DEs are covered and if it's a competition it's not?

Quote:
    Yargk said:How hard would it be for Porsche to draw up a statement saying that DEs are covered and if it's a competition it's not?

impossible. as it stands now they tell us none of it is covered (in case someone presents something stupid) and can instead decide on a case by case basis - like ferrari.

All you European Porsche owners. Tell me whether this is covered under your warranty.

Your car is less than one year old. Your tracking and suddenly without explanation your car pops out of gear and will not re-engage.

Fanch, Carlos or anyone else, when you have your car towed into the dealership what do you tell them? You were tracking the car and it happened or while driving it happened.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    All you European Porsche owners. Tell me whether this is covered under your warranty.

Your car is less than one year old. Your tracking and suddenly without explanation your car pops out of gear and will not re-engage.

Fanch, Carlos or anyone else, when you have your car towed into the dealership what do you tell them? You were tracking the car and it happened or while driving it happened.

The answer to this question is obvious with a wink and nod.

warranty in europe is even worse.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said: your experience is the same as of every Porsche owner I know here in Spain who has tracked his Porsche as I have also mentioned it to him before this post

The warranty in the USA is with PCNA and not PAG so the situation in Spain or France doesn't really mean anything (to us). Although if you had something in writing from your local importer that could benefit us (not that we could do anything about it). The monkey in the wrench is the growing number of USA based insurance companies that are refusing to cover on-track incidents. I'd be curious to see just how many owners are willing to drive their brand-spankin new cars off a cliff.

Quote:
    Carlos said: His intentions with these posts are pretty clear.

agreed...

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    warranty in europe is even worse.

Moogle,
    What is your experience in terms of european warranty?

Nberry,
    Depends which dealer I'm dealing with. If it's a dealer I don't know, I'm not gonna take the risk, ie. I would explain the situation of the incident, but not mention I was on the track. You can drive in a spirited manner on the open road too. If it's my dealer in Paris, they know me very well there, they actually take me to lunch every time I pop by, so clearly, I'd be 100% honest.

Hi Nberry,

here an european story:

I have been to about 20 track days and "saftey-trainings" with my 964 RS or my Boxster S. These track days were organised by Porsche Dealers or by Porsche itself or by private people. Though I had some technical problems but everything was covered by the warranty. On Porsche-Sportfahrschule Trackdays there are mechanics from the factory to help you, if you have still warranty they fix your problem right away without costs for you.

Thats only my experience

Blueflame

Isn't time for Nick to stop trolling? Or for everyone else to stop taking his bait?

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Isn't time for Nick to stop trolling? Or for everyone else to stop taking his bait?

Yes, but as P.T. Barnum nearly said, "There's a new board member registering every minute."

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:

Is it baiting to ask whether a warranty is voided because the car is tracked? Isn't that what Porsche is all about?

Yes, but as P.T. Barnum nearly said, "There's a new board member registering every minute."

Well Mike if you are so confident in what Porsche will do regarding tracking events, please list the tracking events you plan to track your car. Are you willing to go on record?

One would think a prime Porsche customer like yourself would want to know whether you can take your $450,000 Porsche to the track and know Porsche will stand by it's warranty. Is that too much to ask of Porsche?

Nick, why Porsche owners since you don't even own a Porsche sportcar or don't even care for Porsche? I find it very revealing that you don't bother the least bit about your fellow Ferrari owners and defending their track/warraty but you only talk about Porsche, POrsche, Porsche... go ask Enzo owners if Ferrari "officially" covers tracking, and worry about them...

I am flabbergasted that owners would defend Porsche to the detriment of their self interest. To buy a sport car which is designed for track events and not want/insist on getting an answer from the car manufacturer as to whether they extend the warranty coverage to these events is beyond my comprehension. "Lemming's over the cliff."

Why don't you write Porsche and get an answer which you can publish on the internet?

Quote:
    nberry said:and not want/insist on getting an answer from the car manufacturer as to whether they extend the warranty coverage to these events is beyond my comprehension. "Lemming's over the cliff."

they've already said definitively in the manual that it is not covered.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I am flabbergasted that owners would defend Porsche to the detriment of their self interest.

Nobody is defending Porsche here, nobody said that they wouldn't want Porsche or any other maker to cover traking. What we are talking about is your fixation on complaining repetively and solely about Porsche on an issue that is common to all sporcar makers, when it doens't even affect you since you don't drive a Porsche sportcar AND you don't even mention or complain about this same issue in relation to the sportcar you DO drive. What do you call that?

What would you think if I trolled the Ferrari forums complaining on and on about stuff thats comon to all brand like "why Ferrari charges extra for the optional equipment"? What would you say?... well duh, we would like options to be free but all makers charge for their options, no? is that defending Ferrari to the detriment of their self interest?

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:and not want/insist on getting an answer from the car manufacturer as to whether they extend the warranty coverage to these events is beyond my comprehension. "Lemming's over the cliff."

they've already said definitively in the manual that it is not covered.

Please clarify this comrade NBerry...

Cousin Billy Bob Drooler from Bugtussel Arkanasa wins the lotto. He buys a Enzo to use at the drags, figure 8's and then buys his way into Daytona.

He shreds the clutch, brakes and gearbox. Will Ferrari say, OK, Its a racing car and pay for all abuse no matter what.

No manufacture will do that because its a blank check for
    any customer. Its like a contract with no conditions or terms. So all of your anti Porsche posturing is nonsensical.

If a manufacturer chooses, by discetion, to warranty items used or damaged in competition that is one thing, but you cant name a single manufacturer who gives a bumper to bumper race track warranty. So cease opining that Ferrari does, because they simply don't. You are giving a false impression of Ferrari here.

well it's also possible ferrari is a little more generous because they so screw their customers on everything else. as if the $10k repair for multiple failed items on a 2000 360 w/ 15k miles wasn't enough, they charge 50% more for carbon CS brake pads than porsche does for the much larger CGT ones. both manufacturers produce appx the same number of these particular models (ie: CS and CGT). so why the a## rheming? cause they can?

I guess were not going to see a letter anytime soon.

Am I to understand you will misrepresent your track work?

James, clearly misuse and abuse should not be covered. However, when a car manufacturer markets a car for performance and options a stop watch on the dash do you think that a reasonable expectation of the customer is I can track this car and my warranty will remain in effect unless I abuse the car?Is that unfair to the manufacturere?

Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick, you may be right, I don't think so either.
    but same for all other manufacturer.
    Why do you insist only on Porsche.
    Could YOU show me a letter from Ferrari garrantying warranty when tracking you car regularly?
    En of the day, it may case by case, I don't know.
    If it is, then I guess I'm a lucky guy.

Quote:
    nberry said:

James, clearly misuse and abuse should not be covered. However, when a car manufacturer markets a car for performance and options a stop watch on the dash do you think that a reasonable expectation of the customer is I can track this car and my warranty will remain in effect unless I abuse the car?Is that unfair to the manufacturere?

Your letter thing is hysterical. Im sure Paulo would find it
    a big laugh.

Where is the stop watch in a CGT? Is there a kill switch, a halon system? anti submarine belts? Numbers on the doors? Is there something in the owners manual that begs owners to exceed posted hiway speeds??What is performance??? what is abuse?? Define abuse, performance car and driver input in the context of a warranty being voided for driver mishaps and mechanical error from stress or defect on and off a racetrack.

Where your brief??? You need to explain and define exactly what you are babbaling about. Better still, write a draft letter for Porsche to endorse then show it to us here.

Maybe you should start a web site to demand that manufacturers provide a on track mechanical warranty for anything with four wheels and a stick shift.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Your letter thing is hysterical. Im sure Paulo would find it
    a big laugh.

Where is the stop watch in a CGT? Is there a kill switch, a halon system? anti submarine belts? Numbers on the doors? Is there something in the owners manual that begs owners to exceed posted hiway speeds??What is performance??? what is abuse?? Define abuse, performance car and driver input in the context of a warranty being voided for driver mishaps and mechanical error from stress or defect on and off a racetrack.

Where your brief??? You need to explain and define exactly what you are babbaling about. Better still, write a draft letter for Porsche to endorse then show it to us here.

Maybe you should start a web site to demand that manufacturers provide a on track mechanical warranty for anything with four wheels and a stick shift.

James you are beginning to worry me.

Let me lead you by your ear. Go to your warranty book and look up your 4 year warranty. It outlines when and under what conditions the warrany applies. Additionally, it clearly states (if my memory serves me correctly) that if the mechanical failure occurs during competitive events the warranty is not applicable.

All Porsche needs to do is eliminate the exclusion and apply the warranty in all occasion IF THE CONDITIONS ARE MET. You will note in your 4 year warranty, abuse, misuse or failure due to normal wear and tear are not covered items. Thus the same condition can occur whether your on a track or driving in a spirited fashion on a public road.

The track exclusion is an insult to every Porsche owner. It forces the owner to lie.

What I cannot believe is that I have to defend my position which is to your benefit.! MY GOD, no matter how much you love Porsche at least look out for your own interest and get what you paid for.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:

Maybe they should suspend new registrations

Nick, you're like the chinese waterdrop torture, same thing over and over and over and over again, until it drives you mental!
    Blip.
    Blip.
    Blip.Blip.
    Blip.

Answer our question Nick...

What is Ferrari's position in regards to warranty claims when it comes to track events, autocrossing, etc.??? We've asked you this many times, but you still haven't answered us. Afterall, they are the company that touts their F1 technology on their road cars...so they better fix any claims that result from track use.

Cheers,
    -Nick

P.S.: I keep having to say this when a "Nick" thread like this pops up so there aren't any wrong impressions. I have nothing against Ferrari, love them, root for them in F1 and hope to own one myself some day.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780455 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442464 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263265 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261580 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85734 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5887 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881312 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818515 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM