Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

Right on cue indecision

Carlos from Spain:

Right on cue indecision

And so is your comment on my comment. I often ponder what may happen shortly after I post. Not. 
    Hi Carlos. My backyard neighbor is also named Carlos and he is a GM dealer. Always has a new Corvette in his driveway. just a fun fact.  
    Just trying to keep pace with the f1 or LeMans thread. 

Nearly 11% of Tesla Model S fail to pass Germany’s 3 year inspection.  Only Dacia products are nearly as bad.  https://www.thedrive.com/news/44068/over-10-percent-of-tesla-model-s-evs-fail-germanys-strict-inspection-after-3-years

CGX car nut:

Nearly 11% of Tesla Model S fail to pass Germany’s 3 year inspection.  Only Dacia products are nearly as bad.  https://www.thedrive.com/news/44068/over-10-percent-of-tesla-model-s-evs-fail-germanys-strict-inspection-after-3-years

I like details. As expected we can rest easy.  Not like a VW board member.  Lol. 
     Hi Carlos!  

Anything negative about Tesla, just brush it off.

Btw, Elon still can't get rid of the guy that made a Twitter account tracking his private jet.

HIs G650 is the most tracked aircraft in the world, more than Air Force 1.

--

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

I like details. As expected we can rest easy.  Not like a VW board member.  Lol. 
     Hi Carlos!  

Smiley

I didn't even have time to do a 3... 2... 1.... countdown before to you posted your predicted reply this time Smiley

TesIa share price...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

86354F5F-E642-4F31-BC76-B3786310108A.jpeg

...heading to the...........? Smiley

Whoopsy:

Btw, Elon still can't get rid of the guy that made a Twitter account tracking his private jet.

Be real. There is negative stuff and then there is fake news. For once you could pull yourself together to admit that some of the doom and gloom is a bit of theatre. Like that wishful article.  
    CGX makes a fine point that the stock price has been all over the place.  To be fair so has every single friggin stock in the last couple of weeks.  I would tend to blame Brandon for the overall uncertainty and not Tesla.  Given what anyones investment would have done in other auto companies the last few years Tesla is still better off. Does anyone seriously disagree?

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

Hi Carlos!  

Smiley

I didn't even have time to do a 3... 2... 1.... countdown before to you posted your predicted reply this time Smiley

Hope you are enjoying your weekend. Don’t forget to root for the KC Chiefs Sunday against the Bengals. 

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:

Be real. There is negative stuff and then there is fake news. For once you could pull yourself together to admit that some of the doom and gloom is a bit of theatre. Like that wishful article.  
    CGX makes a fine point that the stock price has been all over the place.  To be fair so has every single friggin stock in the last couple of weeks.  I would tend to blame Brandon for the overall uncertainty and not Tesla.  Given what anyones investment would have done in other auto companies the last few years Tesla is still better off. Does anyone seriously disagree?

One is living rent-free in your head. Haven’t mentioned stock price in eons.  

My mistake. Sleepy this morning, no rent due. I meant Boxster Gts. 

He's done it again, Musk just predicted that FDS will be available next year, that is the ninth year in a row, you can't make this stuff up ...

https://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-promises-full-self-driving-next-year-for-th-1848432496

3... 2... 1...

Wow he has put on weight. 

Enmanuel:

+1. 
    I see what you did there. - he added ‘wait’.  He is always adding ‘wait’. 

Im not a fan of FSD simply because I’m a quicker driver in most crowded and urban settings. I don’t see how that will not persist even if FSD is perfect.  I also don’t get the value he places on the tech which must assume that everyone wants their car to go out all day and night and give rides. Does that not also drive down the cost of rides and potential profit for owners?  Maybe fsd will go past beta this year, he would know best - but would I use it in the city?  I doubt it. I do use the included self driving on the highway almost 100% of the time. 
    The advances in software will be useful to sell to others and to use in possible robotics applications in the future. 

While it is always fun to ridicule and undermine Elon there is little argument that he keeps trying, works very hard and has met with a reasonable amount of success.  I would have gained a bit more weight with that kind of bank balance. Just guessing. 

Drag race between a coffee maker, a toaster, a electric kettle and a blender.

--

Whoopsy:

Drag race between a coffee maker, a toaster, a electric kettle and a blender.

SmileySmileySmiley

Seems like the future lies in household appliances... Smiley

Leawood911:
    Enmanuel:

+1. 
    I see what you did there. - he added ‘wait’.  He is always adding ‘wait’. 

Im not a fan of FSD simply because I’m a quicker driver in most crowded and urban settings. I don’t see how that will not persist even if FSD is perfect.  I also don’t get the value he places on the tech which must assume that everyone wants their car to go out all day and night and give rides. Does that not also drive down the cost of rides and potential profit for owners?  Maybe fsd will go past beta this year, he would know best - but would I use it in the city?  I doubt it. I do use the included self driving on the highway almost 100% of the time. 
    The advances in software will be useful to sell to others and to use in possible robotics applications in the future. 

While it is always fun to ridicule and undermine Elon there is little argument that he keeps trying, works very hard and has met with a reasonable amount of success.  I would have gained a bit more weight with that kind of bank balance. Just guessing. 

I guess that would've been a good joke, he put on 'wait', but I was not being that clever. It was merely an shallow remark on his weight. Smiley

Thinking of "wait"; I was looking at a model X available in January........of 2023!

Seems like demand is still strong.

Erm...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

Safety Issues & Recalls

NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V037000

Manufacturer Tesla, Inc.

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Potential Number of Units Affected 53,822

Summary

Tesla, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling certain 2016-2022 Model S and Model X, 2017-2022 Model 3, and 2020-2022 Model Y vehicles. The "rolling stop" functionality available as part of the Full Self-Driving (Beta) software may allow the vehicle to travel through an all-way stop intersection without first coming to a stop.

Remedy

Tesla will perform an over-the-air (OTA) software update that disables the "rolling stop" functionality, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed March 28, 2022. Owners may contact Tesla customer service at 1-877-798-3752. Tesla's number for this recall is SB-22-00-001.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

23 Affected Products 

2 Associated Documents 

Link: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=22V037

...TesIa’s over-hyped and over-priced software could not even pass a basic driving test! Smiley

Electric cars with the best MOT records revealed | Move Electric

The electric vehicles with the best MOT records in Britain have been revealed by Move Electric – with the Hyundai Ioniq Electric leading the way with a 98.75% pass rate.

Analysis of MOT test results for 5230 EVs showed that 87% passed their MOT first time. That compared to an 84.46% first-time pass rate for petrol and diesel cars discovered by sister title What Car? in a similar study last year.

All cars aged more than three years old are required to pass an annual MOT roadworthiness test. Move Electric analysis of the data help by the Department for Transport. On average, 86.65% of all EVs tested in 2020 passed, with the average vehicle having covered an impressive 34,331 miles when tested. 

Move Electric ranked 16 electric models (we only included vehicles with a minimum of 30 MOT tests), and found the Ioniq Electric that went into production in 2017 to have the best pass rate. The model had an average mileage when tested of 29,558.

The second-generation Nissan Leaf was almost as impressive, with a pass rate of 97.70%. The Volkswagen e-Golf, which launched in 2014 and went out of production in 2020, was ranked second with a 93.94% pass rate.

The Tesla Model X (92.08%) was third, with the BMW i3 (91.81%), which is soon to go out or production, in fourth.

The Tesla Model S (2014-present) had an 86.16% pass rate, but its owners covered the most mileage in their vehicles, averaging a hugely impressive 51,516 miles.

By contrast, owners of the tiny Renault Twizy (2021-2021) had an average mileage of just 8209 – although that vehicle was designed largely for short urban journeys.

The electric car with the lowest MOT pass rate was the Reva G-Wiz, which launched in 2001 and went off sale in the UK back in 2012.

James Attwood, editor, Move Electric, said: “The market for used electric cars is booming and our research shows that when it comes time for their first MOT test, they’re more likely to pass at the first attempt than petrol or diesel models. Another positive is the significant mileage many EV owners cover, which addresses the myth that electric cars cannot be used as daily transport.

"It's also worth remembering that the newest cars that needed an MOT in 2020 dated from 2017. Since then there has been an influx of new EVs that offer more range and practicality, and which also promise to be just as reliable and easy to live with day-to-day.”

When sister title What Car? conducted a similar analysis last year, it found an MOT pass rate for petrol and diesel cars aged under eight years old of 84.46%, with the vehicles having completed an average of 41,304 miles.

Electric cars with the best MOT records (average mileage when tested in brackets)

1 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (2017-present) 98.75% pass rate (29,558) 
    2 Nissan Leaf (2018 - present) 97.70% (23,112)
    3 Volkswagen e-Golf (2014 - 2020) 93.94% (24,465)
    4 Tesla Model X (2016 - present) 92.08% (32,671)
    5 BMW i3 (2013 - present) 91.81% (27,067)
    6 Kia Soul EV (2014 - 2018) 91.04% (30,879)
    7 Smart ForTwo (2014 - present) 90.63% (18,560)
    8 Nissan Leaf (2011 - 2018) 86.28% (36,416)
    9 Tesla Model S (2014 - present) 86.16% (51,516)
    10 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive (2015 - 2017) 85.71% (22,272)
    11 Nissan e-NV200 (2014 - present) 84.34% (24,440)
    12 Renault Twizy (2012 - 2021) 84.00% (8,209)
    13 Renault Zoe (2013 - present) 83.18% (26,549)
    14 Peugeot Ion (2011 - 2018) 82.50% (29,195)
    15 Renault Kangoo (2011 - 2021) 78.35% (27,231)
    16 Reva G-Wiz (2001 - 2012) 77.27% (40,326)

Move Electric analysed the 2020 Department for Transport’s anonymised MOT records, published in April 2021. The records contained 5230 results for electric vehicles. Move Electric imposed a minimum quote of at least 30 MOT tests per model to be considered for the top 16 results. 

Link: https://www.moveelectric.com/e-cars/exclusive-electric-cars-best-mot-records-revealed

I’m curious what place the Model3 occupied.  Strange that it is not even listed even though it and the Model y are bigger sellers than the S and X. 
    In Kansas you only need to inspect when buying a new or used car.  It is a different world here as I can’t even think of an issue which would fail a car. Maybe the wrong vin number. 
    Of course the details might not be a fun for you guys. 

At any rate - I would never recommend you get a Tesla based on this report alone. 

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Erm...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

Safety Issues & Recalls

NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V037000

Manufacturer Tesla, Inc.

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Potential Number of Units Affected 53,822

Summary

Tesla, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling certain 2016-2022 Model S and Model X, 2017-2022 Model 3, and 2020-2022 Model Y vehicles. The "rolling stop" functionality available as part of the Full Self-Driving (Beta) software may allow the vehicle to travel through an all-way stop intersection without first coming to a stop.

Remedy

Tesla will perform an over-the-air (OTA) software update that disables the "rolling stop" functionality, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed March 28, 2022. Owners may contact Tesla customer service at 1-877-798-3752. Tesla's number for this recall is SB-22-00-001.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

23 Affected Products 

2 Associated Documents 

Link: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=22V037

...TesIa’s over-hyped and over-priced software could not even pass a basic driving test! Smiley

A bit of background. Maybe?  For some weird reason engineers at Tesla decided to make the car drive like we all do. When at a stop without cars or pedestrians moving the car was programmed to not make a dead stop per the legal requirement. While it does make sense in a way one could see this would delight the rennteam crowd if found out. 
    So they will do an over the air update just like all the other car makers. Oh wait.  Lol. 
    Meanwhile every single Lucid Air had a bunch of cameras and Lidar but no lane change assist or even adaptive cruise control because they can make the software work at all. 
    Do you guys ever read or think about the Tesla news you post?  The only thing funnier are the people who try to stop me from explaining.   3,2,1 …

So wait a minute, a bunch of programmers in California allowed the car to make what we (geographically) refer to as a "California stop" meaning at a stop when nobody is around the car may not actually have the wheels stop turning which is technically illegal but golly is it ever common. You would probably get hit from behind if you really came to an absolute complete stop without any cross traffic if there were a car behind you.

Still California programmers putting in the "California stop" is at least good for a bit of humor

Maybe less reality and more "by the book" prick driving should be expected from technology.

Gladstone:

So wait a minute, a bunch of programmers in California allowed the car to make what we (geographically) refer to as a "California stop" meaning at a stop when nobody is around the car may not actually have the wheels stop turning which is technically illegal but golly is it ever common. You would probably get hit from behind if you really came to an absolute complete stop without any cross traffic if there were a car behind you.

Still California programmers putting in the "California stop" is at least good for a bit of humor

Maybe less reality and more "by the book" prick driving should be expected from technology.

Right. On the other hand, as long as it also checks for police at the same time like humans. Lol  
    Once all cars are autonomous I would hope the logic for rolling stops is turned back on as it would work fine then.  Not so much now.

One part of the recall was not mentioned - of course.  While all cars are potential recall candidates only those who paid for fsd AND are in the beta program had cars which actually were doing this rolling stop.  That is a very small percentage and even that small percentage likely does not use fsd a majority of the time.   It does make an above average FUD piece for those hungry for a head spin. 

Impressive.  Tesla FSD engineers emulate the skills of an incompetent drunk driver including running the car into a pole.  What will they think of next?  https://insideevs.com/news/565546/model-y-hits-pole-fsd/

CGX car nut:

Impressive.  Tesla FSD engineers emulate the skills of an incompetent drunk driver including running the car into a pole.  What will they think of next?  https://insideevs.com/news/565546/model-y-hits-pole-fsd/

At this rate of incident, it seems that TesIa must be actually hoping (provoking) FSD to be “outlawed” by the NHTSA so EIon doesn’t have to admit that they will in fact never achieve Level 5 certified autonomy given the obvious hardware and software limitations - at which point they would be obliged (or sued) to reimburse all the customers that paid for a service/product that cannot be delivered... and, of course, the company will have to re-state their audited accounts! Smiley

So who should ultimately take responsibility for this fiasco? Smiley

Fiasco. Indeed. Maybe we should ignore the millions of lives it will save and just stick with the current safety tech. 
    If some of you had access to the media back when fire was invented you would be promoting freezing after reading your first fire accident story. 
    Meanwhile I drove to go skiing Friday after work. Arrived in Denver well rested and skied all day Saturday and Sunday and drove home Sunday afternoon and night.  I estimate that I drove about 2% of the time the rest was done by the free cruise control.   I would never buy a car that can’t at least do this.  
    Personally I don’t think FSD in town makes sense for me as for now it is definitely in development and I would expect some issues as it improves. To think nothing can go wrong is a bit childish. 

Autonomous car is a solution that's looking for a problem. And it's not even a solution yet with all the problems. Pointless.

But maybe it is for Americans. Most drivers there will fail a driving exam in any other country, so perhaps the taking them out of the driving equation is the solution.

As for advance cruise control, one would be even more stressed relying on the car to do the 'right thing'. Every second your mind would be wondering can the car see that barrier? Can the car make that turn? The lines on the road are faded up ahead, can my car see that? etc. 

--

Whoopsy:

Autonomous car is a solution that's looking for a problem. And it's not even a solution yet with all the problems. Pointless.

But maybe it is for Americans. Most drivers there will fail a driving exam in any other country, so perhaps the taking them out of the driving equation is the solution.

As for advance cruise control, one would be even more stressed relying on the car to do the 'right thing'. Every second your mind would be wondering can the car see that barrier? Can the car make that turn? The lines on the road are faded up ahead, can my car see that? etc. 

A solution nobody is asking for?  Interesting take on how technology has evolved. Can you think of other ‘innovations’ nobody was asking for which we now can’t live without? Computers or internet anyone?  I’ll stop at that. 
    My standard cruise control going down I-70 all day long with strong crosswinds weather is the most friggin amazing thing ever. Ever. I have zero concerns about it working perfectly AND I do pay close attention. The amount of effort it reduces and the joy it adds to the drive is incredible.  Of course if you have not tried it or used it you will never understand.  No worries though. There needs to be some mystery behind the stock and company success for you. 

I believe this need to group people together and insult them or label them is an ugly character flaw.  Unless I had something nice to say about Americans or Canadians or blacks or whites I would just not say anything. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688672 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408745 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255544 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234804 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857609 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773443 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM