Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What Would You Buy?

If any of you guys had $400-600k to spend on cars. How would you spend it?

Ultra super sportcar (Enzo, Zonda, SLR, CGT, Koenigsegg.. etc)
    Super sportcar (996tt, F430, F360, Lamborghini,.. etc)
    Sportcar/sedan/SUV (M5, M3, E55, RS6, Cayenne,.. etc)

Re: What Would You Buy?

FYI, I chose number 1.

Who doesnt want an "ultra sportscar"?

Quote:
    ha said:
    FYI, I chose number 1.

The answer isn't easy at all.

What would I do with so much money for cars?
    First, I would make sure this money is really "available", I don't want to endanger my kids' future.
    Second, it depends on where I live and what how my daily schedule looks alike. I would also make a different decision if I wouldn't be married.

Here is my choice (spending 400-600 k USD on car(s)):
    1. Porsche 997 Turbo
    2. F430 Spider
    3. Cayenne Turbo Powerkit
    4. Porsche 997 GT3

But of course people make their own choices.

1* Second hand CGT
    2* 997TT

or

1* 997TT for weekdays
    2* F360/430 "Challenge Stradale" for weekends
    3* Radical SR3Turbo/SR8 for the track

1. 997 Turbo
    2. F430 Spider
    3. Lamborghini Murcielago

I think these 3 sports cars are the purest representations of their respective brands.

Quote:
    Ryan in SD said:
    Who doesnt want an "ultra sportscar"?

Some people don't think any car is worth that much money, while others are willing to pay twice as much for a car in a form of a premium!

Quote:
    RC said:

The answer isn't easy at all.

What would I do with so much money for cars?
    First, I would make sure this money is really "available", I don't want to endanger my kids' future.
    Second, it depends on where I live and what how my daily schedule looks alike. I would also make a different decision if I wouldn't be married.

Here is my choice (spending 400-600 k USD on car(s)):
    1. Porsche 997 Turbo
    2. F430 Spider
    3. Cayenne Turbo Powerkit
    4. Porsche 997 GT3

But of course people make their own choices.

You are right RC, but I'm assuming that we are all sensible and mature and will not blow off the kids college money on cars. Or maybe we will?

No brainer. Option 1, but I hope there's enough loot left over for a vacation in the Dominican Republic. I love chasing chicks! LOL!!!

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    No brainer. Option 1, but I hope there's enough loot left over for a vacation in the Dominican Republic. I love chasing chicks! LOL!!!

Hmmm...one man's chick is another man's tough old bird.

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    I hope there's enough loot left over for a vacation in the Dominican Republic. I love chasing chicks! LOL!!!

Hey, Holminator, if you couldn't catch that chick back in 1994 what chance do you have in 2005?

For me I'd take....

1. Zonda or CGT for playtime!
    2. M3 / 911 for daily drive
    3. Range Rover
    4. and keep my Boxster for the girlfriend!

I would buy:

1. Mitsubishi EVO (daily driver)- $30k
    2. Real (and perfect) 1973 Carrera RS 2.7 Lightweight - $170k
    3. Replica 1973 RSR 2.8 racecar - with 308hp, 8k rpm period-correct motor, great upgrades and track setup (4-way Motons, etc.) - $70k
    4. Real 993RS 3.8 (street legal for US if done right). - $85k
    5. Lotus Elise/Exige - $50k
    6. Corvette C6 Z06 - $70k
    7. 997 GT3 - $110k

Total - $585k

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Holminator said:
    I hope there's enough loot left over for a vacation in the Dominican Republic. I love chasing chicks! LOL!!!

Hey, Holminator, if you couldn't catch that chick back in 1994 what chance do you have in 2005?

$$$$$

Quote:
    Grant said:
    I would buy:

1. Mitsubishi EVO (daily driver)- $30k
    2. Real (and perfect) 1973 Carrera RS 2.7 Lightweight - $170k
    3. Replica 1973 RSR 2.8 racecar - with 308hp, 8k rpm period-correct motor, great upgrades and track setup (4-way Motons, etc.) - $70k
    4. Real 993RS 3.8 (street legal for US if done right). - $85k
    5. Lotus Elise/Exige - $50k
    6. Corvette C6 Z06 - $70k
    7. 997 GT3 - $110k

Total - $585k

The other combo that I might try, since I've never had a Ferrari:

1. F430 6-speed manual Coupe - $160k
    2. Noble M12 - $80k
    3. Real RS 3.8, RS 2.7 and replica RSR 2.8 from above - $325k
    4. Mits EVO $30k

Total - $595k

100k worth of various 928's
    230k AM vanquish S
    180k 430 OR panamera (if done right)
    20k vw golf when i don't want to go to the gas station

well we're down to three cars: cayenne turbo (wife's) for baby hauling, my F150 (mine) for baby hauling and a crap load of other stuff (i can park it/take it anywhere - 4X4 - and not give a crap about it even though it has four doors/huge back seat, leather, and the best stereo of all three cars), and the CGT. i really only need one sports car though i have toyed recently with the idea of getting a GT3 or C6 Z06 to POUND the bejesus out of on the track. the CGT is a convertible and it can be a track car capable of producing lap times faster than just about anything else i could take there. the depreciation, extra insurance, maintenance, etc on a "track car" or another sports car is more than i'm losing "using" the CGT in the way that we all desire to use it. the only real arguments i could make to myself for having something else in addition to the CGT are a) back seat for my daughter to participate though at 6 mths old she's not missing anything - no airbag cut off in the CGT b) so i don't get tired of the CGT (most anything else would leave me longing to get back in the CGT - but my truck serves that purpose) c) if i lived in a climate where AWD was maybe necessary during one or more seasons.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Holminator said:

Hey, that was last year! My wife forgot to adjust the date. Oh, and I still can't catch the chicken.

I forgot to explain why no CGT: simple. I would kill myself in this car, as weird this may sound.
    I'm able to drive my 997 Carrera S at the limit, I never was able to do that in my tuned 996 Turbo because of the excessive power/torque. A Carrera GT would be too tempting for me sooner or later...
    Another very tempting car would be the Lamborghini Murcielago. But again...tempting and too dangerous.
    So the only choice for me personally is the 997 Turbo...maybe with a few horses more sooner or later. The 997 is almost fool-proof, despite the new steering feel. I hope that the 997 Turbo gets a similar setup.

Why a 430 Spider? Pure open fun, enjoying the gorgeous sound of the engine/exhaust and the looks around me. And for those moments when there is a Porsche next to me, I have to be able to keep up.

Cayenne Turbo with Powerkit? Well, the perfect family car in my opinion. It helps to keep down the family car driving frustration level at a very low level and this makes this car very important to me, despite that annoying throttle hesitation.

997 GT3? Well, a real semi-race car for those days when I want to know it...but no 997 GT2 because the power would be too dangerous for me either.

Don't get me wrong, guys: I love power and I love the CGT. But in my job, I can just "throw" away 400-600 k for a car or cars, so the decision has to be one I can always live with.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    well we're down to three cars: cayenne turbo (wife's) for baby hauling, my F150 (mine) for baby hauling and a crap load of other stuff (i can park it/take it anywhere - 4X4 - and not give a crap about it even though it has four doors/huge back seat, leather, and the best stereo of all three cars), and the CGT. i really only need one sports car though i have toyed recently with the idea of getting a GT3 or C6 Z06 to POUND the bejesus out of on the track. the CGT is a convertible and it can be a track car capable of producing lap times faster than just about anything else i could take there. the depreciation, extra insurance, maintenance, etc on a "track car" or another sports car is more than i'm losing "using" the CGT in the way that we all desire to use it. the only real arguments i could make to myself for having something else in addition to the CGT are a) back seat for my daughter to participate though at 6 mths old she's not missing anything - no airbag cut off in the CGT b) so i don't get tired of the CGT (most anything else would leave me longing to get back in the CGT - but my truck serves that purpose) c) if i lived in a climate where AWD was maybe necessary during one or more seasons.

You failed to mention that tracking your CGT may void your warranty.

For every day driving one would think comfort, fuel economy, eye appeal and reliability would be a priority. The Audi 6 or 8 looks pretty good in this category. Or, if you just want to get to work and back and have fun doing it, the Mini Cooper cannot be beat.

If I want to track a car, I believe the Z6 will be a bargain while having the added benefit of not losing your warranty.

Finally, if I want a sanely exciting ride which gives GT and racing driving experience and holds its value, the Ferrari 430 is perfect.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Holminator said:

$$$$$

Oops. Sorry Holminator. I didn't see the photo. I naturally assumed the other kind of "chicks".

Number 2 for me, in single format. I want one car which I can drive and enjoy every day, so my choice would be a single 997 Carrera 4S, likely cab. The other tempting choices for reasons of long standing desires could have been be a Ferrari 328 GTS (the most elegant Ferrari ever made) or a Lambo Murcielago (ever an Audi Fan), but both fall through the grid due to a lack of every-day usability.

For some reason the weekend car mentality never appealed to me... I want to be married to my dream car.. through rain and shine, on good tracks and on bad tracks.. every day.

I think I'd be happy with a Carrera GT Then again I would hope to be rich enough to buy a couple of other cars on the side (Porsche 996 Turbo )

Quote:
    Ente said:
    ..The other tempting choices for reasons of long standing desires could have been be a Ferrari 328 GTS (the most elegant Ferrari ever made)..

Won't you prefer the 288 GTO

Well, I guess I could get the following where I am right now, with the snow falling down outside

1. Mercedes-Benz SL 350
    2. Mercedes-Benz ML 280 CDI
    3. Porsche Carrera S

That would be pushing the 600k mark, but I would hope of a nice MB dealer with such an order..

But if I actually had this kind of money, I would be guessing my whereabouts would be somewhere else, say Phoenix, Arizona , and this would then be my list:

1. Porsche 997 Turbo
    2. MB ML 500
    3. 2nd hand MB CLK 500
    4. Ferrari F430 Spider
    5. Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06

Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    I think I'd be happy with a Carrera GT

i dunno about that, nick brings up a point that is at the crux of importance to all those buying $400K+ cars - fuel economy

btw, the cgt gets similar mileage to our cayenne turbo and my F150. they all gobble gas.

fwiw, unless you've been in the "bend over and spread em" line at least once in the US at your local fcar dealer, 8 cyl fcars TANK just as badly as the 12 cyl. how much do you suppose the guy who has to pay $320 for a 430 today is going to lose? try 50%+ in 4 years which seems pretty much in line with pcars. however, you'll see 5 to 10X more mileage on the pcar and the maintenance will have been but a fraction. then again though, you won't have gotten "automotive Burberry"

ps nick, which car do you use at the track? how's the warranty on it?
    #1 04-15-2005, 02:07 PM
    Jeru
    Rookie
    Not Subscribed Join Date: Nov 2003
    Full Name: Shawn

Need Help! Is my dealer trying to rip me off?

I won't mention names, Yet... I brought my 2000 360 in for the 15k timing belt service, and this is what I got. Over $10,000 to fix it! They told me the following was wrong with the car. New Timing belt, Broken Tentioner, Needs new Clutch and Flywheel, Throttle Bearing, Timing Variators both broken??, Alternator ... 5 hours to install an alternator!!!!!, The car has been running fine, Clutch is still firm, no starting issues, WTF!

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    I think I'd be happy with a Carrera GT

i dunno about that, nick brings up a point that is at the crux of importance to all those buying $400K+ cars - fuel economy

btw, the cgt gets similar mileage to our cayenne turbo and my F150. they all gobble gas.

fwiw, unless you've been in the "bend over and spread em" line at least once in the US at your local fcar dealer, 8 cyl fcars TANK just as badly as the 12 cyl. how much do you suppose the guy who has to pay $320 for a 430 today is going to lose? try 50%+ in 4 years which seems pretty much in line with pcars. however, you'll see 5 to 10X more mileage on the pcar and the maintenance will have been but a fraction. then again though, you won't have gotten "automotive Burberry"

ps nick, which car do you use at the track? how's the warranty on it?
    #1 04-15-2005, 02:07 PM
    Jeru
    Rookie
    Not Subscribed Join Date: Nov 2003
    Full Name: Shawn

Need Help! Is my dealer trying to rip me off?

I won't mention names, Yet... I brought my 2000 360 in for the 15k timing belt service, and this is what I got. Over $10,000 to fix it! They told me the following was wrong with the car. New Timing belt, Broken Tentioner, Needs new Clutch and Flywheel, Throttle Bearing, Timing Variators both broken??, Alternator ... 5 hours to install an alternator!!!!!, The car has been running fine, Clutch is still firm, no starting issues, WTF!

Now now Ben lets not be too sensitive. As much as I love your CGT, you and I both know owners have to be stealth drivers worrying about losing their warranty should they decide to track or put the car through its spirited paces. You literally have to wear a mask and cover up your license plate in fear of someone reporting to Porsche how the car was driven. I happen to believe for $450,000 you should be allowed to track your car without fear of warranty voidance.

The Corvette Z6 warranty openly covers track work and that is a $70,000 car. Ferrari allows it as well.

Regarding resale value and maintenance, Porsche has not distinguished itself and you are well aware of the details.

Gas mileage for an everday car is important and will get more important. I deliberately left out SUV's and trucks for the reasons you cite.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Now now Ben lets not be too sensitive. As much as I love your CGT, you and I both know owners have to be stealth drivers worrying about losing their warranty should they decide to track or put the car through its spirited paces. You literally have to wear a mask and cover up your license plate in fear of someone reporting to Porsche how the car was driven. I happen to believe for $450,000 you should be allowed to track your car without fear of warranty voidance.

The Corvette Z6 warranty openly covers track work and that is a $70,000 car. Ferrari allows it as well.

Regarding resale value and maintenance, Porsche has not distinguished itself and you are well aware of the details.

Gas mileage for an everday car is important and will get more important. I deliberately left out SUV's and trucks for the reasons you cite.

Nick, don't mislead people, how about showing me WERE its stated or written in thet Z06's warranty that it specifically covers tracking? I hope you can back up your claims.

As to "Ferrari alows it well", big deal, same as Porsche. Neither officially cover it but both will do it in most instances if claims are reasonable.
    Secondly, with Ferrari, few of their cars ever see the track, as opposed to Porsches. That changes many things.
    And thirdly is what the dealers think about it, I would love to see you F-car dealer's face if you told him you were tracking that F360 Spider you were trading in for the F430 like Ben said, which car do you take to the track?

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick, don't mislead people, how about showing me WERE its stated or written in thet Z06's warranty that it specifically covers tracking? I hope you can back up your claims.

As to "Ferrari alows it well", big deal, same as Porsche. Neither officially cover it but both will do it in most instances if claims are reasonable.
    Secondly, with Ferrari, few of their cars ever see the track, as opposed to Porsches. That changes many things.
    And thirdly is what the dealers think about it, I would love to see you F-car dealer's face if you told him you were tracking that F360 Spider you were trading in for the F430 like Ben said, which car do you take to the track?

Carlos the instruction manual for the Z6 discusses settings for track work. I doubt should some thing happen GM would void the warranty. Now distinguish that from comments of Porsche officials who are on record that should something happen at a track your Porsche warranty is Kaput! This is from a sport car manufacturer who markets their cars for track and other performance events.

Why in the hell should Ben, Mike and other CGT owners not be assured by Porsche that their $450,000 car will be covered under warranty in tracking events unless by clear and convincing evidence abuse is the cause of the failure? The car is designed for the track. Let Porsche stand up and be customer oriented to some of their best customers and tell them enjoy your cars at track events. We are behind you.

Regarding me tracking cars, I have had my share of track time. Today I have no interest in tracking a car unless it was in a private setting with drivers that I know and trust.

Quote:
    Won't you prefer the 288 GTO

Let me think about it... mmm.. not necessarily. I just love the profile on the 328GTS, combined with the open air option.. it's classy, understated (some would say underpowered as well, at 270 HP) and absolutely female, especially in black. It's a car I would want for looks and charm more than anything, and part of the appeal is the low key attitude on it. Can you say Pininfarina cityhopper?

If I had to describe it in one word, it would be "exquisite".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780953 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442577 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263351 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261672 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85812 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5914 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881426 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818911 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM