Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

License Plate - Any alternatives to drilling holes?

Driving along minding my own business on a freeway I had the pleasure of a highway patrol trooper pull me over and explain that in California a front plate is mandatory, and that as I hadnt attached mine he issued me with a correctable ticket .

So, I could simply get the holes drilled for the regular 997 mounting plate, but it makes me sick that the car will have holes in it forever - especially if it were removed as some point in the future (when I sell it Im sure the buyer will not put a plate on the front).

Anyone have any suggestions on plate mounting by sticking on instead of drilling and attaching vie screws? In other countries Ive lived its been easy to stick plates on instead but I cant find anything like that here in the US.

Thanks.

Re: License Plate - Any alternatives to drilling holes?

Lots of foam double stick tape for trim at your local auto supplier, right? If not there Home dpot would have it too. The stuff is easy to find, make sure you get a outdoor, UV resistant tape; check package.

Be really really clean; use alcohol a few times to prepare the area. Plan on removing the stuff by using dental floss as a saw.

Another idea I had was to fabricate a deep bracket which mounts with screws but those screws are fastened to the recessed black plastic part of the cowling. You know, where a radiator would be expected but none is (in the non-Tiptronic version).

There's a company specializing in bumperplugs or buttplugs or something... I believe the owner is a rennteamster.
    http://www.bumperplugs.com/
    Then you can drill holes and still have the car look pretty nice if you remove the plates later.
    I'd be careful that any adhesive doesnt take off the paint when you remove it...

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

I'd be careful that any adhesive doesnt take off the paint when you remove it...

Not something to worry about, IMHO. The new acrylics, ureathanes, (whatever) "paint" is more like welded-on, high tech coatings these days, as opposed to stuck on; especially over plastic parts.

I remember talking to someone about this recently. He said that all you do is pay the fine. They don't check if the fixit was done. So if you don't mind having to pay the ticket every once in a while, you might decide that's worth doing rather than drilling holes in your car.

Man don't these idiots have anything better to do, just hearing this chaps my hide. Don't drill the holes, pay the ticket or do the foam tape.

Just keep that temp registration on your front window...

and don't put ANY plates on it.. then when the cop pulls you over just tell him
    you never got your plates..... he can't really write up a no front plate ticket when you have NO PLATES and are using the temp. registration sticker on your window... That's MY Plan at least..... I've had tickets in the past and I just stuck the front plate on, went and had the fix it ticket verified and then drove home and took the plate off again. The cop who did my fix it ticket actually said "It just doesn't look right with the front plate on it does it?"

hahhaa!! Yes officer... please tell all your friends that too !!

Re: Just keep that temp registration on your front window...

Quote:
    John SF 2005 997 S said:
    I've had tickets in the past and I just stuck the front plate on, went and had the fix it ticket verified and then drove home and took the plate off again.

I'm surprised officer Buford T. Justice didn't verify that you didn't bolt on the license plate. I guess there's no law requiring it be bolted on.

We just got a new 2005 C6 Corvette and the plastic mounting bracket for it goes on with double stick foam tape. So, even a manufacturer can get away with that method. Needless to say, we haven't managed to put it on yet.

Phil

Just make bracket, have one made, which screws into the **bottom** of the bumper area at the top of the middle spoiler aperture.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    I remember talking to someone about this recently. He said that all you do is pay the fine. They don't check if the fixit was done. So if you don't mind having to pay the ticket every once in a while, you might decide that's worth doing rather than drilling holes in your car.

i agree

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Just make bracket, have one made, which screws into the **bottom** of the bumper area at the top of the middle spoiler aperture.

That is exactly what I plan to do if I ever get written up for this. Another option would be to make a bracket for the tow hook.

When I got stopped in February for a speeding ticket, he was on the opposite side of the road as I passed him. I treated him with the upmost respect and he just wrote me up for speeding and my missing front license plate did not bother him.

BTW for those in other countries, when you are stopped in the US, all you have to do is sign a Notice to Appear ticket. It also states when you are to appear in court. You may take care of the ticket anytime before that date. As a courtesy, they will mail you a notice in the mail also. Failure to appear will be grounds for arrest. On Friday I went to court for my speeding ticket. No shackles, nothing. Total time in the courthouse was 5 minutes. I took the option of going to traffic school so the ticket will not be appear on my driving record. It is amazing how if you follow the law, things are so easy.

Quote:
    igzaklee said:

Sorry, still ranting about another thread that was closed. I will not say any more.

But, I still think you can make a bracket that will attach the plate to the front tow hook. That way you have a mechanical fastner, no need to drill any holes, and then after you get the ticket signed off, you can remove it and no trace will be left.

pay the fine... front plates look like rabbits teeth.

Yea, I'd double stick tape too if necessary. A hair dryer to warm up the adhesive is the best way to remove.

Quote:
    I still think you can make a bracket that will attach the plate to the front tow hook.

Yeah, you could. Get a bolt with threads that fit tow hook threads. (this may be difficult, not sure but threads on tow hook are not "normal" thread design, if so just get spare tow hook)

Cut off eye on hook

Drill and tap center shaft of tow hook

bolt a plate-sized bracket to this threaded hole in eyeless tow hook. (could be as simple as a piece of galvanized sheet metal or 1/4 inch thick PVC sheeting, with four holes for plate screws)

Screw tow hook all the way into bumper mount

Adjust plate bracket to level,

tighten and epoxy smaller bolt

remove bracket and affix plate.

Photograph and post on Rennteam for expert critical appraisal.

i still think they protect your front bumper

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Quote:
    Flashman said:
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'd just make the bracket so it screws underneath and doesn't show. You could make this bracket easily more secure than the original Porsche equipment too.

My M3 has all sorts of holes in that area (underneath where they can't be seen except when car's on a lift) and I never think about it anymore.

Go to hardware store look for plain old hardware. Even go to walmart and find a Stainless steel, or heavy aluminum cooking pan/tray/utensil? which you can cut up and use somehow.

something like this?

Quote:
    beltar said:
    something like this?

That's where mine's going! Looks good on yours where the "mouth" is dark.

Problem is I got AS colored car coming. I'm toying with the idea of painting the black plastic "vent" with silver so the buck teeth thing isn't pronounced.

When I had my 2000 996 Carrera 4, I was stopped at a traffic signal behind a brand new Chevrolet Avalanche (a huge pick truck sort of thing) with a trailer hitch receiver on the rear bumper. For some reason he decided to back up. I honked continuously and he still backed right in to the front of my car. The hitch receiver punched a 2" square hole in my front license plate, the license plate bracket and into my front bumper. He apologised profusely,and paid for the repairs in cash. Fortunately, only the front bumper, license plate bracket and plate were damaged. The new front bumper, painted and installed was about US$1,700.

So, don't count on the front plate to protect your bumper.

3M foam trim tape works just fine, I always used it for my UK license plates...Never understood the need to drill holes

To remove
    Use nearly boiling water and pour over the the pad wait a minute or so, then use dental floss....It's easier and safer than the hairdryer method...

Quote:
    beltar said:
    something like this?

Hopefully that plate isnt covering any cooler behind it???

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    beltar said:
    something like this?

Only the tiptronic has a radiator in the middle. Manuals have nothing there that's functional; it only looks like an air intake.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    beltar said:
    something like this?

Only the tiptronic has a radiator in the middle. Manuals have nothing there that's functional; it only looks like an air intake.

That's right, that's the way you can recognize a tip immediately

I've got a black 2005 Boxster S and don't want the plate or a ticket. I'm working on a bracket that will hide the plate horizontally under the front and when needed, like when I see the law, it will slide the plate out and up in full view. Hope to have it working in a couple of weeks.

Check your state plate regulations. Some of them stipulate only that the plate must be vertical and visible from the front of the car. Therefore having the plate inside the car on the dashboard as long as it were vertical would be legal.

Quote:
    jamesf9217 said:
    I'm working on a bracket that will hide the plate horizontally under the front and when needed, it will slide the plate out and up in full view.

It's nice and flat under there so you certainly have a convenient surface upon which to design, engineer and develop said mechanism.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777516 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441816 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262820 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261028 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85297 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5600 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880712 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816108 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM