Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2022] Formula 1

Didn't watch the race today, was in airport flying back home after a whole week of golfing in Vegas.

Got the highlights and heard some analysis also.

Red Bull now gained another 5 points on Ferrari for the constructor title. Mercedes seems closer to be a solid 5-6 car than 9-10 car. They should cement 3rd place in the constructor soon.

Their future primary is no longer a future star, Russell has arrived and is a star. 

Bad luck for Norris when Gasly didn't see him.

Max had a clinical race in the fastest car. They have managed their tires much better than the Ferraris, Leclerc and Sainz basically ran out of tires by pushing too hard to try and stay with the Red Bulls. 

Max managed his tires really well for the SC restart, didn't push them too hard like how Leclerc did and hence he had tire left to pull away at the end. Red Bull's mental coach for Max is really doing his job and earning his pay fair and square, the kid is finally becoming a man, after what, 8 years in F1?

Keep this up, Max will win the title this year and get above Kimi for the tile as a lucky World Champion at the expense of Lewis. Hamilton gifted the title to Kimi in his rookie year by making a mistake going into the pits, Max was gifted the title by Masi while Hamilton did everything perfect. 

--

Will be so cool if Porsche gets Red Bull, that means when Porsche do functions Max will be obliged to be there to greet us valuable customers, wonder how strong his mental game is vs me  He can't even walkaway like how he does it with reporters, god that will be fun!

--

thuggy:
    watt:

Gee, Max could act like a champion like our sniveling little boy, then you'd be happier:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-10793321/Lewis-Hamiltons-U-turn-boycotting-Miami-Grand-Prix-came-speaking-F...

My wife has a permanent belly ring as well.  I think she would be even more pissy if someone forced her to remove when she didn’t want to either Smiley

Does your wife work in a sport with significant mandatory safety rules and regulations?  Hamilton does.  

Whoopsy:

It is what it is, Max was gifted the title, by some human mistakes, that's fact, can't change that. But if Max wins again this year, he would have done a back to back across two different regulation eras and would cement him being a great driver. If he wins this year, I would rank him above Alonso, as Alonso done his back to back in a single era.

But if he loses the title to Leclerc this year, then doubts would start to creep in. 

It's amazing how you keep bringing this up even 5 months later, while we are well into the new season. The above is your opinion, who knows whether Max would've passed Hamilton before the finish line even with additional cars between them... but honestly, why bother much longer?

We have just finished five races this year, that's not even one quarter of the season, so there is still enough potential for both Ferrari and Red Bull to improve their car and come out on top. Even if the other teams, such as McLaren, Mercedes or Alpine improve, they could take away victories or valuable points from both leading teams and influence the championship.

CGX car nut:
    thuggy:
    watt:

Gee, Max could act like a champion like our sniveling little boy, then you'd be happier:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-10793321/Lewis-Hamiltons-U-turn-boycotting-Miami-Grand-Prix-came-speaking-F...

My wife has a permanent belly ring as well.  I think she would be even more pissy if someone forced her to remove when she didn’t want to either Smiley

Does your wife work in a sport with significant mandatory safety rules and regulations?  Hamilton does.  

Mountain out of a mole hilll…. Hamilton lives in your head as well it seems.  

thuggy:

Russell definitely has the luck with safety cars this year.   That makes three times now already. 

It's not just luck. He can be heard over the radio suggesting to stay out longer with the hard tires to potentially benefit from pitting during the safety car and... that just happened. 

I am honestly impressed by Russel, by his speed, strategy and race craft Same with Leclerc, apart of his speed his attitude on and off the track is that of a role model.

thuggy:
    watt:

new Mercedes leader, no earrings and sense of entitlement in the way:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-10788941/Verstappen-rubs-salt-Lewis-Hamiltons-wounds-says-Mercedes-NOT-bad....

Seems like Hamilton lives rent free in Max’s head too…Smiley

I think Max´ focus lies somewhere else, he just stated the obvious... didn't he?

Leclerc drives Villeneuve´s Ferrari:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtQPknWkvR8

Great to hear his opinion on the old cars, and Rene Arnoux looks splendid for his age. I guessed him 20 years younger than he actually is...

Yes, you have to perform to put yourself in position benefit from the circumstances.  Yup Russell is doing as best as possible with a substandard car for sure Smiley  it’s just funny when people make the leap to imply that these results prove Hamilton is washed somehow.

Ferdie:

Leclerc drives Villeneuve´s Ferrari:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtQPknWkvR8

Great to hear his opinion on the old cars, and Rene Arnoux looks splendid for his age. I guessed him 20 years younger than he actually is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogTx_7a9A90

Arnoux vs Villeneuve, a 1979 classic duel.

Renault V6 1.5 turbo, 6 speed manual vs Ferrari Flat 12 3.0 N/A, 5 speed manual

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

thuggy:
    CGX car nut:
    thuggy:
    watt:

Just tired of your and Whoopsy’s puerile tirades. 

Ferdie:
    thuggy:

Russell definitely has the luck with safety cars this year.   That makes three times now already. 

It's not just luck. He can be heard over the radio suggesting to stay out longer with the hard tires to potentially benefit from pitting during the safety car and... that just happened. 

I am honestly impressed by Russel, by his speed, strategy and race craft Same with Leclerc, apart of his speed his attitude on and off the track is that of a role model.

very true - it was said on Swiss TV by Marc Surer at the beginning that the strategy from Russell will be the end of the race and possible safety car and so it was - even though the difference on the Red vs Whites where not that massive - but good enough to take you're team mate ! EPIC ! (and all decided by him obviously not the team)

I’m still surprised by the paucity of incidents and safety cars in that race.   I guess I expected more of a NASCAR approach to racing on that relatively tight circuit, albeit, the course looked tighter on the safety car lap than when the F1 car took to it. 

CGX car nut:
    thuggy:
    CGX car nut:
    thuggy:
    watt:

Sorry we don't kiss Max's ass just because he is your idol. 

I pretty much tried to stay on the factual side of things when I write, and facts isn't on Max's side, no matter how you slice it. 

--

Ferdie:
    Whoopsy:

It is what it is, Max was gifted the title, by some human mistakes, that's fact, can't change that. But if Max wins again this year, he would have done a back to back across two different regulation eras and would cement him being a great driver. If he wins this year, I would rank him above Alonso, as Alonso done his back to back in a single era.

But if he loses the title to Leclerc this year, then doubts would start to creep in. 

It's amazing how you keep bringing this up even 5 months later, while we are well into the new season. The above is your opinion, who knows whether Max would've passed Hamilton before the finish line even with additional cars between them... but honestly, why bother much longer?

We have just finished five races this year, that's not even one quarter of the season, so there is still enough potential for both Ferrari and Red Bull to improve their car and come out on top. Even if the other teams, such as McLaren, Mercedes or Alpine improve, they could take away victories or valuable points from both leading teams and influence the championship.

As things unfolded, by the time proper protocol is applied, the race would have ended before they will go back to green. The alternative would be for Max to pass 5 lapped cars in one lap.

Why are you so bothered about me stating facts from the point of view of the rulebook? Cause it isn't to the benefits of Max? 

Honestly, had Max was leading and Hamilton was the one chasing, my point of view will be exactly the same, obey the rules as they are written. And if Hamilton won his 8 that way, I will still be talking about it. This isn't a Max vs Hamilton thing.

--

CGX car nut:

It’s refreshing when a current world champion holds off a challenger after a safety car period for more than three turns. 

Sorry... who is being puerile with this post?

Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:

Sorry we don't kiss Max's ass just because he is your idol. 

Funny, how this response proves CGX´s point. Smiley

Whoopsy:

I pretty much tried to stay on the factual side of things when I write, and facts isn't on Max's side, no matter how you slice it. 

Facts? What facts? 

Whoopsy:

The alternative would be for Max to pass 5 lapped cars in one lap.

Yes, exactly. On fresh tires.

Whoopsy:

Why are you so bothered about me stating facts from the point of view of the rulebook? Cause it isn't to the benefits of Max? 

Because it is an opinion, not a fact. I am not attached to any single driver, I enjoy Max´ bold approach just as much as Leclerc´s or Russell's. It's the difference in attitude, approach and driving style, that I enjoy so much with the current drivers. And F1 is much more complex than some here want to believe, otherwise why does a great driver like Ricciardo, that had been brought to McLaren, have such difficulties at McLaren? Why can such an "outstanding" driver as Hamilton perform so poorly this season, even worse than the teammate? Because there is much more to it, more than I have time to type now.

I doubt, if you ask Max or Charles or Lewis about their competitors, that they would have the same attitude and bold opinion as some "experts". They do know what goes into being competitive at that level.

A nice analysis from Peter Windsor.  He can be a bit British biased, but I think he always has good insight.

Max brilliant under pressure in F1 Miami

Whoopsy:

Didn't watch the race today, was in airport flying back home after a whole week of golfing in Vegas.

Can't you see Nick what a wanker you're turning into?  You didn't watch the race and you pontificate so proud of your non existent expertise.  I pity you and now just roll past your posts.  You and only you can fix this, and we hope you doSmiley

lexs4:

A nice analysis from Peter Windsor.  He can be a bit British biased, but I think he always has good insight.

Max brilliant under pressure in F1 Miami

Thanks!  Excellent.Smiley

Ferdie:

Facts? What facts?

Speaking about facts:

Many months laster Newey admits what everyone else knew during that Saudi Arabia race and Max fans denied firmly:

Newey: ‘Silly’ Max ‘shouldn’t have brake-tested Hamilton’

This year Max and Horner got a slap on the wrist by FIA/Race directors so they behave way better than before otherwise they get penalties. No more crashes into opponents or badmouth talking 24/7. Clean racing, finally.

Ferdie:
    Whoopsy:

The alternative would be for Max to pass 5 lapped cars in one lap.

Yes, exactly. On fresh tires.

IF there is time to restart, using Masi's own timeline. There isn't according the rules. He needed one extra lap which there isn't, os he 'bended' the rule. 

Whoopsy:

Because it is an opinion, not a fact. I am not attached to any single driver, I enjoy Max´ bold approach just as much as Leclerc´s or Russell's. It's the difference in attitude, approach and driving style, that I enjoy so much with the current drivers. And F1 is much more complex than some here want to believe, otherwise why does a great driver like Ricciardo, that had been brought to McLaren, have such difficulties at McLaren? Why can such an "outstanding" driver as Hamilton perform so poorly this season, even worse than the teammate? Because there is much more to it, more than I have time to type now.

I doubt, if you ask Max or Charles or Lewis about their competitors, that they would have the same attitude and bold opinion as some "experts". They do know what goes into being competitive at that level.

It is about as factual as it can be if you run the timeline again according to how Masi did it. The rules clearly stated what he can and cannot do, and when he decided to call in the Safety car, he did not follow the safety car protocol, this is already disregarding the fact that he did a partial, not the full, wave through of lapped cars, which by itself is already a contradiction to the rules. 

It's about on the same level as during a race start, he arbitrarily says they will now start on 3 red lights, not waiting till all 5 a lit and then go off. Would you think that's a proper way to start a race? No of course, right?

Pretty much as factual as saying Europe would have lost WW2 had the Americans not come and help. Maybe some French might think otherwise, but that's what they THINK, it's not facts or reality.

If Max passed Hamilton earlier in the race and was leading the pack during the safety car period, and the race ended under safety car, I would have no problem with that even when I don't particular like Max, cause the race is run by the book using the proper rules. Just like I had no problem with Max winning on Sunday in Miami, nothing was out of the ordinary, he drove a great race and deserve to win. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You really do have to make a distinction on where I stand. I stand WITH the rules, not with Hamilton or AGAINST Max. 

I also have no problems with Hamilton running deep in the mid field, or finishing behind Russell. It is what it is, Mercedes don't have a competitive car and Russell is clearly talented, on par if not better than Max. If he is regularly finishing behind Hamilton, then there is a problem with Mercedes choosing the successor, Hamilton has a shelf live, just like every other driver, and it's not forever. 

I have accepted Max is the 2021 WDC, and I am calling fro him winning this year also to validate himself. Winning back to back across 2 different eras is a great feat, and he will be part of a very elite group to do so. Cementing his place among F1's greats. 

Now why can't you, or other diehard Max fans, accept the fact that Max didn't win the 2021 title cleanly? And he got a little help in order to win? Yes he drove great all year and deserves to win, same can be said of Hamilton's chase on the 2nd half of the season to make it that tight at the end. Had Max made some better decisions earlier in the season, he would have wrapped up the title with races to spare. 

Back in 2007, Kimi drove great too, but if not for a rookie Hamilton made a blunder in Shanghai, Hamilton would have won that title. But because of that blunder, Kimi was given a lifeline and he took advantage of it and won the 2007 title. It's his only one, and he didn't win another since to validate it wasn't a fluke. Max is in a much better position to win one more. 

--

Dear Woopsy,I have always enjoyed your contribution to this forum. But you continuous repeating of your point of view on the F1 title of Max is getting very annoying. I think that everybody now knows what you think. Perhaps it is time to agree that agree to disagree. Do not make a fool of yourself.

guys, I feel this is getting is bit too personal and we are taking this too seriously, let's take a step back and enjoy the conversations wink

Whoopsy:

Pretty much as factual as saying Europe would have lost WW2 had the Americans not come and help. Maybe some French might think otherwise, but that's what they THINK, it's not facts or reality.

Awesome, bring in some historic examples. Those are helping the discussion.

Whoopsy:

Now why can't you, or other diehard Max fans, accept the fact that Max didn't win the 2021 title cleanly? And he got a little help in order to win?

So, if one does not share your view one must be a fanboy? Hilarious. I actually stated my opinion about the current drivers four posts above yours. 

I could write a lengthy response why I have a different view on several things mentioned but I leave it at that. The effort might not be appreciated. With all due respect, I accept your views but have a hard time to see them as the only viable option, regardless of the topic. The world is not black and white, even if you and some others want us to believe that.

Smiley

JR-550:

Dear Woopsy,I have always enjoyed your contribution to this forum. But you continuous repeating of your point of view on the F1 title of Max is getting very annoying. I think that everybody now knows what you think. Perhaps it is time to agree that agree to disagree. Do not make a fool of yourself.

If only people would take off their fanboy goggles and stop accusing me of shading Verstappen in his battle with Hamilton last year. It really is getting old but still getting dragged up all the time.🤷🏻‍♂️

I get tired trying to explain myself and repeating the same point too. I am not for/against Hamilton/Verstappen. I am standing for the rules. Period.

--

Fotos: F1: Grand Prix von Miami (USA) 2022 - Foto 83/98

just a fun fact - Alonso wearing this shirt, pics distributed everywhere - sold out in an instance ... smiley

So the Andrettis are still working hard to lobby for themselves entering F1.

The existing 10 teams however, even with a 200mil new entry fee, still aren't quite warming up to the idea of someone else coming in to eat their pie.

On the side, Audi is also trying to get in as a factory entry, which means there could be 12 teams 24 cars if things fall into place.

But Audi, aka VAG, isn't looking to pay that 200 mil. They want to buy an existing team, just like Andretti.

Could they combine forces and do a Audi/Andretti Racing thing? After all, VAG is in good relationship with the Andretti, and they just signed a deal to race Formula E together.

With that, which team could be for sale?

Can count out Mercedes, Red Bull, Alpha Tauri, Ferrari, Alpine right off the bat. Sauber is also out as Sauber wanted to retain control even with a sale. 

That leaves McLaren, Aston, Haas and Williams. 

McLaren is ok right now, of course they wanted the money but they don't HAVE to sell. The heritage of the McLaren name in F1 has a lot of intrinsic value that's hard to put a number on. But same could be said of the Williams name and that team got sold. But of course Williams was in a lot worse financial shape. 

Williams, they just got sold not long ago, and is in good shape, don't thing they are in the market to be bought.

Haas. They lost the Russian money, but Gene himself isn't poor, he just didn't want to spend his own money racing. And for ego sake, don't think he wants to sell to another American, especially the Andrettis. 

Aston Martin. This is the interesting one, they are the most vulnerable. Stroll senior is rich. It's how he can finance his son's racing hobby. But Aston the car maker isn't doing well financially, the race team side is also a bust. Could Senior consider cashing out to cut his loses? I would put it at a more than 50% chance he will sell for the right price. Especially when there is 2 entries that wanted to come in and he could have started a bidding war, between Audi and Andretti.

Hence why I think Andretti likely is already in talks with VAG about partnering for an alliance. 

And more food for thoughts. Could VAG send Porsche instead to Andretti? Porsche is only looking to be an engine supplier, and they can let Andretti run the race team. After all, they are already partnering up in Formula E. 

Another idea. Red Bull signs with Porsche as their supplier. Then sell Alpha Tauri to Audi to be run as a factory team. VAG gets their 2 entries, Red Bull gets to cash out one team and also secure engine supply. Aston ended up selling to Andretti, and Andretti runs Porsche engines. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689159 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409001 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255662 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234909 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65479 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857826 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773804 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM