Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

[2022] Formula 1

Re: [2022] Formula 1

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1477260679283367938

New year. New Me-rcedes. 

Aston Martin announces exit of F1 team principal Szafnauer

Aston Martin has announced that its Formula 1 team principal, Otmar Szafnauer, has left the team.

Politics. Masi and Tombasis will be out to save the greatest and best pilot 

Seems like all 3rd party speculation and no actual real data there.  Filling the void.   If Lewis does not show up at winter testing, then I'll worry about it.

thuggy:

Seems like all 3rd party speculation and no actual real data there.  Filling the void.   If Lewis does not show up at winter testing, then I'll worry about it.

Absolutely.

Last year was a clear case for Max to win his first title, he only made it THIS close by being an idiot on track and throwing away a boat load of points, had he had some brain cells, he would have wrapped up the title with races to spare.

Last race at Abu Dhabi was also a clear case for Hamilton to win his 8th after the year long clown show of FIA. He was within laps, literally minutes away from securing that, before Masi decided to 'forget' how the FIA rules are written and applied. A very clear and unequivocal case can be made that he was robbed blind for his 8th. Had FIA's own rules are followed, then he would have been champion. 

For the educated race fans, they all saw what happened. They knew who would have been champion had Masi followed the FIA rules. There was nothing left to debate. 

Hamilton hold every meaningful records there is. Having number 8 would be nice, but if he walks away now, he would have no regrets. It was out of his hands for the last race, nothing he can control. Why should he come back again if the system isn't fixed?

Would Mercedes pulled out last minute in support of Hamilton quitting? Absolutely not. They won their 8th. In a row. Drivers are commodity, they can be easily replaced. They already have Russell after all. They next 'Hamilton' could be just around the corner after all. 

--

2022 story lines are shaping up nicely for Netflix.  New cars, driver shuffle at top team, new champion looking to remove doubt, GOAT looking solidify his claim, and midfield looking to make jumps with new regulations.

I feel a bit bad for Max,  through no fault if his own, he wins his first title and it’s a disputed Championship to borrow the boxing term.  He should be enjoying his time in sun and getting his flowers; but instead he has to share the headlines of investigations and speculation if LH is going to retire.

https://www.astonmartinf1.com/en-GB/news/announcement/mike-krack-joins-amcf1-as-team-principal

Prior to joining Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One Team, Mike Krack was leading BMW's global motorsport operation, having worked for the Munich-based company since 2014. 

In that role he was in charge of BMW's Formula E, GT and IMSA programmes, as well as its planned expansion into the new LMDh formula for IMSA & WEC, including the Le Mans 24 Hours. 

Prior to that Mike worked in a senior motorsport role for Porsche. He has worked for a decade in Formula One before, for Sauber then BMW-Sauber.

Confirmed 2022 F1 car reveals:

Aston Martin: 10th February

Ferrari: 17th February

McLaren: 11th February

Mercedes: 18th February

Topspeed:

McLaren: 11th February

Mercedes: 18th February

Is the 18th when Sir Lewis announces his retirement rather than prove his mettle?

It is the date when he and vet will start litter and plastic cans collection;)

Really hoping that Hamilton returns and wins that 8th championship again!

After careful considerations I won't be doing play by play detailed analysis for 2022. it would seems some members here doesn't like factual analysis. Someone else who wanted to can do it in place of me.

I really do tried hard to stay centered even when it well known I much preferred Hamilton over Verstappen, but I still called it as it is if Hamilton is in the wrong. But it would seems pointless as some felt even if I combed over all available information before I do the analysis that they think I am still biased. I had raced under FIA sanction events, I was a racer, I haven't driven an F1 car but the principles are still the same no matter the series, same rules after all, Heck, I had also been called to face the Stewards of the Race and know the process.

Some people think they know more, so they are very welcome to be the substitute. 

As for my prediction, well I see Norris will be a contender, Max and Red Bull will fall off the pace simply because they had spent their efforts going all in last year. Hamilton will retire and Russell could be finishing 3rd. Mercedes probably will recall Nick de Vries to race in place of Hamilton. Between Leclerc, Norris and Russell, that's the top 3 for 2022. Sainz will be wild card at Ferrari, if he got the lead over Leclerc, he could get the nod to be the #1 there. So top 4 for 2022 will be Leclerc, Norris, Russell and Sainz. Not in that particular order. Max might be a close 4th. Or likely 5th.

Ferrari will win the constructor between Leclerc and Sainz. Red Bull second based on the strength of Perez. Mercedes 3rd. McLaren 4th. Or the other way around. 

Aston got championship aspirations, huh? With whom? Vettel is past his prime, Junior? I don't think so. Unless they replace junior, they won't be contending. Baby Stroll isn't even up to Gasly standard, I really don't see them 'contending'. 

Alpine seems to be a mess, Ocon is talented but the team isn't. Alonso won't be winning again at Alpine. Ricciardo will fall off the pace even more compared to Norris, he simply isn't on the same level. Perez will be much closer to Verstappen than people expect, simply because of his driving style. 

Who else am I missing? Mazepin was 21st among a 20 car field in 2020, he would placed 22nd or 23rd. Bottas will finished in the top 10. Who is on top of Mazepin? Hulkenberg, Kubica. Latiffi. Likely Latiffi will be 20th/19th, he is next up on the unqualified paid drivers. Behind Zhou. Next up could be Mick. Then de Vires.. Who else? Tsunoda would place better because of the strength of his RB engine, he has showed he is a decent defender. Tha's 16th/15th place, he could get to 13th if he gets a lucky break in one of the races. Albon will likely be in font of him however, 14th. 13th might be Alonso. The Alpines just wonn't be that good.

13th, or 12th, Ocon. In place of the other spot it would be Ricciardo. Luck of the draw. Who we got left? Stroll. He could be as low as 16th, or as high as 10th. Vettel will be ahead. Top 10. Just because of his experience. Bottas, 9th, 8th? close battle with Perez there. 

I might likely put Hamilton somewhere in there, just because of the timing of the FIA ruling and he might race a race or 2. But I really don't see him trying to compete in a rigged and biased environment. No point.

22nd mazepin

21st Kubica

20th Hulkenberg

19th Latiffi 

18th Zhou

17th Mick Schumacher

16th Nick de Vries

16th Tsunoda

15th Albon

14th Hamilton

13th Alonso

12th Ocon

11th Ricciardo

10th Stroll

9th Vettel

8th Perez/Bottas

7th Bottas/Perez

6th Gasly

5th Versteppan

1st/2nd 3rd/4th Leclerc/Norris./Russell/Sainz

It will be a crap shoot between Leclerc and Sainz. Ferrari don't really have a #1 per se, and Sainz is signed by the current personal in charge after all.

Ferrari winning the all important Constructor. Then McLaren/Red Bull/Mercedes in no particular order. 

Talent wise, Max is no better than Russell. Max just got a better car for 2021. I see Red Bull falling behind with development on the 2022 car, even with Adrian Newey, as they went all in on 2021. 

They might catch up in 2023 however. 

--

Whoopsy, you are grown up man, stop this talks, i tried hard, but others are bad and so on (its a ham approach). All people have its own opinion and view on things, every one has a right on it (even if it is wrong) and there should not be any monopoly on opinions. You raced fia sanctioned events - great! Does it give you the monopoly on opinion - nope. I have a friend who is an owner of gt team, does it gives me an opinion to say, guys I collect all the info and share with you but some of you are bad and argue with me - nope. Moreover f1, fia wec, european gt and so on have a different organizational approaches and business models, not so much in common.

Sounds like someone is having a poor day. I’m sorry to hear it. There is always room for more than one opinion. There has been no shortage of appreciation for your input and I am happy to hear others chime in.  
    I feel this way many times in regard to Tesla or EV comments here BUT in the end I know I’m performing a valuable public service. Lol. 
    cheers

For what it's worth I enjoy reading your race reviews a lot, I'd miss not having them. 

Enmanuel:

For what it's worth I enjoy reading your race reviews a lot, I'd miss not having them. 

It is actually why I started watching the races this year. Netflix my ass. 

Seems like some discussions maybe have gone to far... love to read the reviews and the opinions... sure everybody has his opinion but thats what makes a forum interesting isn't is ???

Anyway hope to read all your inputs also in the coming season...wink

The rumors persist:

Brown admits Audi talks, expects Porsche/Red Bull tie-in

Whoopsy, 

Please don't stop with your comments, I appreciate them a lot !

Spyderidol:

The rumors persist:

Brown admits Audi talks, expects Porsche/Red Bull tie-in

Also, according to the latest info, VW wants to be not only the PU supplier, but team owner. Lets see what happens next :-)

Love the analysis Nick even though i am a Max fan. I always like someone to give me another point of view.

AJ

I hope you reconsider as I liked your race-by-race analysis a lot Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Nick, your commentary was always looked forward to!  Hope you reconsider!

Pentium:

I hope you reconsider as I liked your race-by-race analysis a lot Smiley

+1 @Whoopsy

Please keep on the great work we all (besides a few) are enjoying a lot of it!

Whoopsy:

….

As for my prediction, well I see Norris will be a contender, Max and Red Bull will fall off the pace simply because they had spent their efforts going all in last year. Hamilton will retire and Russell could be finishing 3rd. Mercedes probably will recall Nick de Vries to race in place of Hamilton. Between Leclerc, Norris and Russell, that's the top 3 for 2022. Sainz will be wild card at Ferrari, if he got the lead over Leclerc, he could get the nod to be the #1 there. So top 4 for 2022 will be Leclerc, Norris, Russell and Sainz. Not in that particular order. Max might be a close 4th. Or likely 5th.

I might likely put Hamilton somewhere in there, just because of the timing of the FIA ruling and he might race a race or 2. But I really don't see him trying to compete in a rigged and biased environment. No point.

Talent wise, Max is no better than Russell. Max just got a better car for 2021. I see Red Bull falling behind with development on the 2022 car, even with Adrian Newey, as they went all in on 2021. 

I trully hope that Lewis will be back once more to show for the last time who‘s (still) the real deal out there, especially after the events of the last race!

On top there‘re new rules in place and to finish his impressive career as the first WC under these would be „the topping on the cake“ especially considering his age compared to the young guns.

Also it would be great if he could pass some of his knowledge to George and hand over the zepter in style Smiley

I predict Max won‘t be winning any title anymore, he was taking profit of his far superior car and a very supportive team mate and now having George (Merc), Carlos & Charles (Ferrari) in competitive cars he‘ll struggle with his driving style as these guys will let him taste his own medicine for sure Smiley

Looking forward to the new season and (again) to your comments/ analysis @Whoopsy Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662551 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401288 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254605 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229254 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59631 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4381 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853574 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    762008 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM