Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: That infamous Connecticut speeding case

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    I have to drive to Connecticut all the time and have never had any problems.

I have also been pulled over in my Porsche at a high speed and attitude goes a long way. I also know that the US is ruled by law. If I drive my car over the threshold where I can be arrested, I have no one else to blame but myself. Every time I drive my car at 125mph in California, I know if I get caught I can be arrested. That is the risk I take for that.

As an attorney, you should know that being late or missing a court date is a big no no. I find it incredible that you did both of those things.

USA plates? I thought those were given to US citizens or residents that were living abroad who were working for the government (i.e. military or their families)

I too have driven in Connecticut without problems. But what does that prove?

On attitude, you are making some assumptions if you are suggesting that I showed a bad attitude when I was stopped. In fact, being pleasant takes one a long way in life in general. This occasion was no different.

I wasn't driving 125 MPH. And I wasn't arrested for speeding. I was arrested for maintaining my right to silence. The trooper was very clear about that.

If you are a lawyer, please tell me the last time you were shackled and led away for being five minutes late to a hearing in a courtroom you weren't scheduled to be in and before a judge you weren't schedule to be before. Doesn't that strike you as the slightest bit abusive?

Not sure where I mentioned "USA plates" but if I did then it was really a shorthand for "plates issued in the USA". The car had plates issued in another state of the USA.

Stephen

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    where are you going vtrader?

The first rule is never argue with the cops. That will get you in more trouble.

The second and more important thing is to appear in court when required. You miss a court date or are late and then you get the judge mad at you.

An attorney is a court officer and should know about this things.

Connecticut or the US is not a police state. If you follow the law the law will leave you alone. Period.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    well i m sorry for law-and-order-friends and addicts

but some law organs suck so much that i say go fuc them!

If only it were that simple. The problem is that the police do serve a necessary function. But when they pull this sort of [censored] they are being very counter-productive.

Stephen

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    If you follow the law the law will leave you alone. Period.

I consider this to be very naïve.

Stephen

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Quote:
    Dilinger said:

The first rule is never argue with the cops. That will get you in more trouble.

The second and more important thing is to appear in court when required. You miss a court date or are late and then you get the judge mad at you.

An attorney is a court officer and should know about this things.

Connecticut or the US is not a police state. If you follow the law the law will leave you alone. Period.

Good advise.

What puzzles me is what started all this? Was it because he refused to answer questions. If so, then Stephen has a right to be upset. There is no reason for a police office to behave the way this one did, assuming what Stephen said is correct.

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    )

...I wasn't driving 125 MPH. And I wasn't arrested for speeding. I was arrested for maintaining my right to silence. The trooper was very clear about that.

If you are a lawyer, please tell me the last time you were shackled and led away for being five minutes late to a hearing in a courtroom you weren't scheduled to be in and before a judge you weren't schedule to be before. Doesn't that strike you as the slightest bit abusive?

Not sure where I mentioned "USA plates" but if I did then it was really a shorthand for "plates issued in the USA". The car had plates issued in another state of the USA.

Stephen

As you are an attorney, the cop is doing his job. The place to win or lose is in the courtroom not on the side of the road.

Quote:

I do not find this abusive. Your are an attorney, you more than any one else know about the law. I as a layman, know its very important to meet my court day appointments. And are you saying that the police and officers of the court of the great state of Connecticut are in a conspiracy? Look what happen to Michael Jackson when he was late. Again, I just find it incredible that you were both late and missed a court appointment.

What ever merits your case had on the initial arrest were muted when you failed to appear at two different times.

As far as the 125mph, I choose to live in California where the limits for arrest are higher. In Connecticut, the limits are 20 mph. I was there over the weekend and on one stretch of road, I limited my speed to a maximum of 20 mph over the speed limit so if I did get caught, I would not be arrested. I chose not to take that risk.

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    Quote:
    Stradale said:
    Friends and I use the word "bent" all the time but we always use it to describe someone that is 'upset' or 'pissed off'.
    I've never heard your meaning of that word before.

I know the meaning you mean "getting bent out of shape". In England there is also an old meaning of crooked or criminal.

Bent as in homosexual seems to be the current slang use for the word and the only one that fit the context.

But in the end, who knows what the officer meant? Only he did. All you can do is look at what he said and how he said it and try to figure out what his meaning was. Given the way he acted and the totality of it all, I would have a very hard time ascribing a good meaning to his words.

Stephen

I lived 4 years in CT while I went to University of Hartford. I often used the word "bent" and heard it used describing someone that is 'bent out of shape'.
    In your first message here you want to convict the cop of "inappropriate verbal comments regarding defendant" because he used the word "bent" but now you admit to knowing it is often used to refer to someone that is 'upset' instead of calling you a homo.
    Doesn't sound like the cop did anything wrong and if your subsequent attitude is anything like the night you got arrested for traveling at 99mph then he showed a lot of restraint.
    You got caught speeding, missed your court date and think someone wronged you ? You sounds like someone who would give the cops a hard time when they're just trying to do their job.
    I love to go fast too. I got stopped for a 96mph in a 55 on the Long Island Expressway in my M5. At 96 I was slowing down. When the cop came up to my door I was as humble as one can possibly get. After 3 tickets he let me go. I went to court paid the fine and now the ticket is off my license.
    I would love to hear your WHOLE story as told by the cop because the way you tell the story it's as if you had the right to drive at 99.

Good Lord ! What a right thinking and politically correct syrup !

One of the guys that I work with was driving his new 745 and was pulled over by a black police officer; he also is black (African American if you so choose. The officer asked him where he was going, and my collegue told him that he didn't have to answer that question. That's the difference. My friend did nothing, (except DWB) and you were going 34 over, for no apparent reason. I would agree that the cop was probably a Neo-Nazi scumbag, but with no given explanation, Barney Fife would have hauled you in.

Cheers,

jb

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    I lived 4 years in CT while I went to University of Hartford. I often used the word "bent" and heard it used describing someone that is 'bent out of shape'.
    In your first message here you want to convict the cop of "inappropriate verbal comments regarding defendant" because he used the word "bent" but now you admit to knowing it is often used to refer to someone that is 'upset' instead of calling you a homo.
    Doesn't sound like the cop did anything wrong and if your subsequent attitude is anything like the night you got arrested for traveling at 99mph then he showed a lot of restraint.
    You got caught speeding, missed your court date and think someone wronged you ? You sounds like someone who would give the cops a hard time when they're just trying to do their job.
    I love to go fast too. I got stopped for a 96mph in a 55 on the Long Island Expressway in my M5. At 96 I was slowing down. When the cop came up to my door I was as humble as one can possibly get. After 3 tickets he let me go. I went to court paid the fine and now the ticket is off my license.
    I would love to hear your WHOLE story as told by the cop because the way you tell the story it's as if you had the right to drive at 99.

You are making a lot of assumptions.

You fixate on the "bent" comment but that comment wasn't spoken in isolation. What about the rest? Do you consider it appropriate for police to use the "F" word and "A" word repeatedly to describe a citizen? How about comments as to his sexuality or size? That's ok also? You really seem to be reading through this very selectively. Is there a reason for this that we're not aware of?

My subsequent attitude? On the night I was as polite as I could be. Who wouldn't I be if they had just been stopped like that? We all want to try to make a good impression for obvious reasons. I answered 13 questions before I finally told him I wasn't going to answer any more questions. It was clear from his questions that he was attempting to get evidence to charge me with additional crimes. He told me I had better re-think that decision or he would arrest me. And then he arrested me. Given the situation, I know that I made the only sensible decision I could make under the circumstances.

As for your 96 MPH in a 55 zone ... do you hear me arguing about the validity of the charge? That just isn't the issue here.

And no one has addressed the fact that my driving privileges were suspended for five weeks through administrative negligence and through no fault of my own. You wouldn't have a problem with that if it happened to you?

Stephen

Quote:
    jboyko said:
    I completely find it disturbing, to hear that one of my fellow citizens had been denied their civil liberties, by the increasing presence of a Police State. But come-on, we all know the unwritten rule that 30 over could land you in jail. Also, I don't know why you keep spouting Audi/homosexual connotations. I never said anything about that, and it's not like you were driving a Boxter (just kidding).

jb

I thought the gay connection was with Saab.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    What puzzles me is what started all this? Was it because he refused to answer questions. If so, then Stephen has a right to be upset. There is no reason for a police office to behave the way this one did, assuming what Stephen said is correct.

The officer threatened to arrest me if I didn't answer his questions. He told his fellow officers twice that he arrested me because I refused to answer his questions. This was all caught on tape. And he subesquently told me during processing that had I answered his questions he would have written the ticket for speeding and let me go.

So yes, that was exactly how it was.

Stephen

Quote:
    jboyko said:
    One of the guys that I work with was driving his new 745 and was pulled over by a black police officer; he also is black (African American if you so choose. The officer asked him where he was going, and my collegue told him that he didn't have to answer that question. That's the difference. My friend did nothing, (except DWB) and you were going 34 over, for no apparent reason. I would agree that the cop was probably a Neo-Nazi scumbag, but with no given explanation, Barney Fife would have hauled you in.

His questions had nothing to do with the charge. They were questions about my family, who owned the car, where he was, where I lived, what I did, etc.

So this is not the case of someone refusing to answer reasonable questions.

Stephen

i dont want to take official stand ,because in any case we should here both sides, but we are not putting you on trial. I m for sure sorry for your little adventure.
    I dont assume tat you went for trouble.

The only thing i disagree-if i may- is that when you selected to exercise your right for silence you pissed the uneducated police officer off.

And given the fact that you are a lawyer you better than all should know that, you could speak to him,and avoid anything that would put you in a worst position.

My feeling is, that, if you speaked to him you could ease his anger.
    But sometimes refusing to speak,and istead choosing silence is a way to irritate the other side and even sometimes [censored] him really off.

That is what i think you should avoided it.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Quote:

I do not find this abusive. Your are an attorney, you more than any one else know about the law....

As far as the 125mph, I choose to live in California where the limits for arrest are higher. In Connecticut, the limits are 20 mph. I was there over the weekend and on one stretch of road, I limited my speed to a maximum of 20 mph over the speed limit so if I did get caught, I would not be arrested. I chose not to take that risk.

You really consider it reasonable to be shackled and led away for being 5 minutes late before a judge you are not even supposed to be before? Incredible! Incidentally, the prosecutor was also late on the same occasion and by the same amount of time. She was not shackled and led away. She was not censured or criticized in any way. Reasonable also?

You are wrong about speeding in Connecticut. Both Speeding and Reckless Driving are misdemeanours in Connecticut. That means it is entirely the discretion of the officer whether or not to arrest. It is not normal to arrest for either offence but he can. So it you wish to avoid being arrested I suggest you do not exceed the speed limits.

Stephen

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    Quote:
    Stradale said:

You fixate on the "bent" comment but that comment wasn't spoken in isolation. What about the rest? Do you consider it appropriate for police to use the "F" word and "A" word repeatedly to describe a citizen? How about comments as to his sexuality or size? That's ok also? You really seem to be reading through this very selectively. Is there a reason for this that we're not aware of?

My subsequent attitude? On the night I was as polite as I could be. Who wouldn't I be if they had just been stopped like that? We all want to try to make a good impression for obvious reasons. I answered 13 questions before I finally told him I wasn't going to answer any more questions. It was clear from his questions that he was attempting to get evidence to charge me with additional crimes. He told me I had better re-think that decision or he would arrest me. And then he arrested me. Given the situation, I know that I made the only sensible decision I could make under the circumstances.

As for your 96 MPH in a 55 zone ... do you hear me arguing about the validity of the charge? That just isn't the issue here.

And no one has addressed the fact that my driving privileges were suspended for five weeks through administrative negligence and through no fault of my own. You wouldn't have a problem with that if it happened to you?

Stephen

So what if the cop cursed. He was pulling over someone that was doing 99mph. I'm sure his adrenalin was pumping. I bet if you had to risk your life to catch up to someone that was traveling that fast you would probably be using curse words too. I just don't have any problem with the cop using the word a hole to describe a person doing 99.

Now I know why you were arrested. You should have kept answering the cops questions. There's been times that I've gotten off on speeding tickets because I was brutaly honest. You see it's part of their training to establish whether you're telling the truth or not. If you're lying you could be doing so to hide something else. Drugs perhaps. The only way to establish this is by asking you questions. What they will do is ask you a series of questions then come back to the first or second question to see if you give them the same answer. You stopped cooperating so the cop really had no choice. You could have been speeding because you were running from a hold up or something. Until he could be certain that you were telling the truth and speeding because of "x" or "y" it is his duty to arrest you.

""And no one has addressed the fact that my driving privileges were suspended for five weeks through administrative negligence and through no fault of my own. You wouldn't have a problem with that if it happened to you?"
    -You play, you pay.
    You should direct your energy towards something else and move on.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    i dont want to take official stand ,because in any case we should here both sides, but we are not putting you on trial. I m for sure sorry for your little adventure.
    I dont assume tat you went for trouble.

The only thing i disagree-if i may- is that when you selected to exercise your right for silence you pissed the uneducated police officer off.

And given the fact that you are a lawyer you better than all should know that, you could speak to him,and avoid anything that would put you in a worst position.

My feeling is, that, if you speaked to him you could ease his anger.
    But sometimes refusing to speak,and istead choosing silence is a way to irritate the other side and even sometimes [censored] him really off.

That is what i think you should avoided it.

I think this is a fair analysis and wise advice. I did try to defuse the situaiton. I tried to be pleasant. I have obviously been stopped before and this is the first time I had this outcome. One of the things a lawyer learns is how to deal with people. So on this occasion that just wasn't possible. Unfortunately.

Stephen

come on!!! haha dont be so hard on the man give him some Luv!!!

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    So what if the cop cursed. He was pulling over someone that was doing 99mph. I'm sure his adrenalin was pumping. I bet if you had to risk your life to catch up to someone that was traveling that fast you would probably be using curse words too. I just don't have any problem with the cop using the word a hole to describe a person doing 99.

Now I know why you were arrested. You should have kept answering the cops questions. There's been times that I've gotten off on speeding tickets because I was brutaly honest. You see it's part of their training to establish whether you're telling the truth or not. If you're lying you could be doing so to hide something else. Drugs perhaps. The only way to establish this is by asking you questions. What they will do is ask you a series of questions then come back to the first or second question to see if you give them the same answer. You stopped cooperating so the cop really had no choice. You could have been speeding because you were running from a hold up or something. Until he could be certain that you were telling the truth and speeding because of "x" or "y" it is his duty to arrest you.

""And no one has addressed the fact that my driving privileges were suspended for five weeks through administrative negligence and through no fault of my own. You wouldn't have a problem with that if it happened to you?"
    -You play, you pay.

You play you pay? What on earth are you talking about? I plead not guilty to a simple speeding ticket and the court sent all notices to the wrong address and then ignored my inquires when I wrote asking why I hadn't heard anything about it. Then they stretched out the restoration for three weeks after the court ordered it. Where does "play you pay" fit in there?

As for officers using the "F" and "A" word (I have to abbreviate because those words aren't ok even here between friends) ... are you kidding? That is totally unprofessional behaviour. How can you condone that?

There was no race. I knew he had used laser. I saw him start to move as I drove by him. I was pulling over even before he was on the road. See photo.

What I don't get is why you feel a need to make assumptions which continuously favour the police. What perspective are you coming at this from?

Stephen

Wow, I can't believe that our session is over so soon. We were really making progress. OK, group hugs everyone, and I'll see all of you next week.

jb

Quote:
    jboyko said:
    Wow, I can't believe that our session is over so soon. We were really making progress. OK, group hugs everyone, and I'll see all of you next week.

Can't we do the pillow flight first???

Stephen

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Quote:
    Dilinger said:

Without commenting on the rest of this story, I must say the above is the comment of a MONUMENTALLY naive fool.

tom

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    mav21386 said:
    dont be a hypocrite

I speed everytime I'm behind the wheel. You missed the point.

when i said that i was talking about what your said to fixedwing about driving the speed limit.

Quote:
    FixedWing said:

You really consider it reasonable to be shackled and led away for being 5 minutes late before a judge you are not even supposed to be before? Incredible! Incidentally, the prosecutor was also late on the same occasion and by the same amount of time. She was not shackled and led away. She was not censured or criticized in any way. Reasonable also?

You are wrong about speeding in Connecticut. Both Speeding and Reckless Driving are misdemeanours in Connecticut. That means it is entirely the discretion of the officer whether or not to arrest. It is not normal to arrest for either offence but he can. So it you wish to avoid being arrested I suggest you do not exceed the speed limits.

Stephen

Big difference between the prosecutor and you. You were on bail and had agreed to appear. That is why they let you out on bail. I still find it incredible that as an attorney, you have no regard for the law or the rules of the court.

Question, why did the notices go to a wrong address? Did you tell the DMV of your new address? You know as an attorney, that the notices are a couresty item and it is your obligation to find out when the court appearances are required. A simple phone call to the court would have confimed this. When I got my speeding ticket last month, the first thing the CHP officer said was "A courtesy letter should arrive in a few weeks, if you do not receive one, call the court house."

As far as I see it, the court system worked as they are suppose to.

You however:
    1) Failed to appear. Automatic suspension of license at that point.
    2) Was late to another appearance.
    3) Drove with a suspended license.

Am I wrong? I think you were lucky that in a month this will disappear. It could have been worse, they could have revoked your bail and you would have been held over till your trial and then maybe jail time. I think you should count your blessings.

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    Quote:
    Stradale said:

Stephen

-You play, you pay.

dude wtf is your problem, why dont you shut the [censored] up and play hide and go [censored] yourself. Also write your little hypocritical comments somewhere else douchebag.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Question, why did the notices go to a wrong address? Did you tell the DMV of your new address? You know as an attorney, that the notices are a couresty item and it is your obligation to find out when the court appearances are required. A simple phone call to the court would have confimed this. When I got my speeding ticket last month, the first thing the CHP officer said was "A courtesy letter should arrive in a few weeks, if you do not receive one, call the court house."

More baseless assumptions. The address shown on the ticket was the correct address. They sent it to another, wrong, address. I wrote a letter to them, by registered post, reminding them of the correct address and asking the status of the case. They still used the wrong address. Connecticut uses a centralised infractions bureau and everything went there and was forwards to the court. It is not possible to call the centralised infractions bureau.

The notice of the hearing was sent to the wrong address, and wrongly addressed even at that, and with insufficient postage. It was returned undeliverable. My enquiry as to the status of the case was ignored. In Connecticut it is quite normal for a prosecutor to nolle a small case such as this without any communications. I've had it happen many times. So is it unreasonable to assume that after I have done everything right and even gone the extra mile to enquire about the case I have fulfilled my obligation?

It was not an issue of the address on file with the DMV. It was a license issued by Hongkong. Hence my caution in making sure that they had the correct address.

The court re-opened the case and waived the re-open fee. The basis of the fee waiver was the error made by the clerk's office.

So again, where is my culpability in all of this? Why was I justified in having my driving privileges suspended for five weeks?

Stephen

Wow....sorry to hear about that man. That patrolman is nothing short of a , not to mention the rest of the state legal community. Good luck with the waiting period.

Quote:
    dude wtf is your problem, why dont you shut the [censored] up and play hide and go [censored] yourself. Also write your little hypocritical comments somewhere else douchebag.

Temper, temper. LOL !

Quote:
    krown05 said:
    Wow....sorry to hear about that man. That patrolman is nothing short of a , not to mention the rest of the state legal community. Good luck with the waiting period.

Thank you.

Fortunately, I found a good place to drown my sorrows -- your neck of the woods, Florida!

Stephen

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    It was not an issue of the address on file with the DMV. It was a license issued by Hongkong. Hence my caution in making sure that they had the correct address.
    So again, where is my culpability in all of this? Why was I justified in having my driving privileges suspended for five weeks?

Stephen

You're pretty darn lucky not to be charged with driving without a licence if you've been driving on a Hong Kong licence. If you're a US resident, you need a US licence. International licences are for visitors only.

Furthermore, you seem to believe that it is unusual for an officer to ask multiple questions about where you live, who owns the car, what you do etc. It is not. As a previous poster mentioned, officers regularly ask a series of questions to ascertain whether or not you appear to be DUI, and also to judge if you are being truthful.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781940 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442847 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263493 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261906 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85982 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6011 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881668 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819679 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM