Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2021] Formula 1

Toto to Masi, nice repeat of the accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

--

sportcars-history.com

reginos:

This is the result FIA wanted.

The whole season and the final result have revived interest in F1 after years of Mercedes/Hamilton domination, which is a good thing for the organizers, sponsors etc.. Verstappen's Championship has also sparked a great personal and team rivalry that will carry into next season and keep F1 fans excited.

I preferred Hamilton to win his 8th and to make history  but the turn of events on lap 54 and thereafter changed everything. A certain Nicholas Latifi went into the barriers yes

Nevertheless Verstappen is a rare talent and congratulations to him and to Newey and Horner. Furthermore, I expect that the Dutchman's appearance and profile will prove more marketable for F1 than Hamilton's. A new champion in a similar mould to Michael Schumacher.

Have Mercedes protested the result? I hate protests in sport. Results shouldn't be decided in offices but on the pitch or on the circuit.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

They ddi. Filed 2 different protests I believed.

One was the improper filtering of lapped cars, the other is Max getting in front of Hamilton behind the safety car which I have mentioned before. The second one while marginal, does get enforced by some stewards when they follow the letter of the rules. I have seen it first hand when I was racing in Germany. one car got a bumper in front of another behind the safety car 'accidentally'. 

Nothing is gonna change the result I believe for the first point, even when Mercedes sort of have solid ground. Unless they wanted to make Masi look bad and planning to replace him.

There isn't wording in the regulations for 'remedies' however.

The second however is a 5 second.

--

this was the first f1 race I actually sat through and watched in maybe 20 years.

I have been following the last 2-3 races and the duel between Hamilton and Max caught my attention.

I was with the underdog (Max) knowing Hamilton is the better and more seasoned driver.

Hamilton clearly outclassed Verstappen in todays race...he was so much faster.

Tactics and regulations won over racing....good for a few interesting moments but not good for F1 as a whole.

469DBF87-E2AC-4C41-BF3B-B3A7E68D3B7D.jpeg

Whoopsy:
    reginos:

The whole season and the final result have revived interest in F1 after years of Mercedes/Hamilton domination, which is a good thing for the organizers, sponsors etc.. Verstappen's Championship has also sparked a great personal and team rivalry that will carry into next season and keep F1 fans excited.

I preferred Hamilton to win his 8th and to make history  but the turn of events on lap 54 and thereafter changed everything. A certain Nicholas Latifi went into the barriers yes

Nevertheless Verstappen is a rare talent and congratulations to him and to Newey and Horner. Furthermore, I expect that the Dutchman's appearance and profile will prove more marketable for F1 than Hamilton's. A new champion in a similar mould to Michael Schumacher.

Have Mercedes protested the result? I hate protests in sport. Results shouldn't be decided in offices but on the pitch or on the circuit.

--

One was the improper filtering of lapped cars, the other is Max getting in front of Hamilton behind the safety car which I have mentioned before. The second one while marginal, does get enforced by some stewards when they follow the letter of the rules. I have seen it first hand when I was racing in Germany. one car got a bumper in front of another behind the safety car 'accidentally'. 

Nothing is gonna change the result I believe for the first point, even when Mercedes sort of have solid ground. Unless they wanted to make Masi look bad and planning to replace him.

--

The Winning margin was 2.256s Smiley Would FIA take such action?

--

Russel said it all… IMO that was a theft of the championship… the mind change to let the few cars pass between Hamilton and versteppen is unacceptable. This was the same like telling max to pass Hamilton. Hamilton has beaten Max today on track, got him on the start and then was all they way the faster driver… even with Mr obstacle Perez, now we at least know he is good for something 😂😂😂. 

Shaich:

469DBF87-E2AC-4C41-BF3B-B3A7E68D3B7D.jpeg

George is toeing the company line already I see,

reginos:
    Whoopsy:
    reginos:

--

--

The Winning margin was 2.256s Smiley Would FIA take such action?

Well if they follow their own rules written by them, then it's a no brainer that they had to. 

I vaguely think there is an out somewhere, they could issue a reprimand. Not sure about that however. Been a few years since I completely read the regulations.

But if they do indeed issue the 5 seconds and swap the winner. Then Max could learn an expensive and valuable lesson about being 'aggressive'. He was literally right there next to Hamilton and just trying to inch ahead. No one else really do that. There is concrete video proof of him being ahead, even for a fraction of a second. 

I mean FIA could always say that isn't 'passing' and let it go. Which more than likely will be the scenario. 

Regardless, 2021 will be remembered for controversies. Up to the very end.

--

FIA are being asked to review their own rules under section 48.12 of the regulations, per below...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

2021 FORMULA ONE SPORTING REGULATIONS
    PUBLISHED ON 12 JULY 2021
    ISSUE 11

If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW
    OVERTAKE
    " has been sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system, any cars that
    have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety
    car.

This will only apply to cars that were lapped at the time they crossed the Line at the end of the
    lap during which they crossed the first Safety Car line for the second time after the safety car
    was deployed.

Having overtaken the cars on the lead lap and the safety car these cars should then proceed
    around the track at an appropriate speed, without overtaking, and make every effort to take up
    position at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car. Whilst they are overtaking, and in
    order to ensure this may be carried out safely, the cars on the lead lap must always stay on the
    racing line unless deviating from it is unavoidable. Unless the clerk of the course considers the
    presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the
    safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap

If the clerk of the course considers track conditions are unsuitable for overtaking the message
    "OVERTAKING WILL NOT BE PERMITTED" will be sent to all Competitors via the official messaging
    system.

Source: 2021 Formula 1 Sporting Regulations 51/99 12 JULY 2021

Link: https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/2021_formula_1_sporting_regulations_-_iss_11-_2021-07-12.pdf

...so it appears that the FIA did not follow the FIA F1 Sporting Regulations! Smiley

Here is a video clip of the alleged “overtake” behind the safety car...   E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khjYKSNvABU

...will that result in a post-race penalty? Smiley

Shit on the vent!!! Love it! Where is mine popcorn?

--

sportcars-history.com

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Here is a video clip of the alleged “overtake” behind the safety car...   E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khjYKSNvABU

...will that result in a post-race penalty? Smiley

We don't have the footage but FIA will, the camera angle from Hamilton's car will be even more clear. 

On paper it's a slam dunk. But I believe the FIA will deem getting a wing ahead isn't 'passing' and be done with it. 

Imagine they give Max a 5 second. There will be riots everywhere in Holland.

As it stands, even the famously unruly British crowd didn't do anything. 

--

Its not a complete overtake is it. And when they got underway Lewis was ahead. That’s really desperate from Merc, if we are honest.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

throt:

Its not a complete overtake is it. And when they got underway Lewis was ahead. That’s really desperate from Merc, if we are honest.

I agree but what to do when victory is snatched away like this... Either way it would be a sour win, but this was just absurd at the end. 

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

throt:

Actually from a regulation point of view, it is. It's pretty black and white in the rules about no passing behind safety car. That means the car behind cannot be ahead of the car in front, until the safety car line when the safety car pulls over. 

A bumper, a wheel, or a whole car doesn't matter.

Like I said, by the book this is a slam dunk, unless the FIA shoot themselves in the foot even more and deem it isn't. 

If only Max has a tiny bit of patience and stop doing questionable things like that. Then the race would have been concrete over and none of these nonsense happening. And we would have a clean fight on track and crown a champion properly. 

Max gained absolutely nothing doing that as that was still a few corners before the actual start of the final lap. He doesn't need to do that.

Except Max just doesn't get it. Yet.

--

Exactly, Max pushes the mind games all the time.

I be surprised if he gets a penalty though. Start of the season, maybe more so.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Porker:
    throt:

I agree but what to do when victory is snatched away like this... Either way it would be a sour win, but this was just absurd at the end. 

Yep, what a ending.

There be some tweaking in the rules for next season for sure. 

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

Exactly, Max pushes the mind games all the time.

I be surprised if he gets a penalty though. Start of the season, maybe more so.

Unnecessary 'mind games', that gets him in trouble. For the risk of penalties. He is fast enough himself. He has much much fresher tires, and also knowing Hamilton won't do a Max if he tried to pass for the lead. Hamilton the poster boy for sitting duck there. Actually all season long Max had been doing questionable things trying to see what he can get away with.

I don't think FIA will want to embarrass themselves even more than they have all season already for Max. They are in a no win right now. If they issue a 5 seconds, that would take away Max's WDC. As it stands, most have already accepted the result and moved on. Imagine all the passionate Max fans would do if he was striped of his title. The Dutch will be out for blood on the FIA. The tile means much more to Max than to Lewis. Let Max enjoy it. He did enough things right this season to deserving winning. 

There wouldn't be a penalty for next season. At most I can only see them issuing a stern warning reprimand on his behaviour. 

--

As expected, the stewards had dismissed the protest against Max passing Hamilton under safety car. It will just going to open a giant can of worm for them. Max gets to keep his title. But like 2008 with Hamilton and Glock, his title will be forever associated with this.

The other protest regarding the restarting procedures will not be as easy to dismiss, but also much harder to sort out, as there isn't a clear path for resolution in the book. 

At worse, the whole race result could be invalidated, but doesn't change much regarding the title as Max holds the tie breaker in the first place.

--

Wow, that end...

How can RB manipulate Masi/FIA so easily?  How can Masi break two Safety Car rules is unreal.

Hopefully this goes to court.

This is bad for the sport IMO. What will happen next year then? No rules at all? Who lives, wins?

I wouldn't' see it that way.

All year long, Red Bull has been the favourite. They have the stronger car and not until Pirelli changed the tires that Mercedes start crawling back the disadvantage. Honda's big engine upgrade really pushes them equal to Mercedes' engine output. WIth spending their developmental tokens on new gearbox, they had improved their rear aero and balanced out the car to be much better than the twitchy one last year, combined that with much more power, that's a winning combination. WIth a equally skilled driver like Max.

It was only Hamilton's skills that kept the championship close. Also when they finally figured out how to setup the car properly to give Hamilton a competitive car.

Hamilton drove a picture race today, from start to finish. He lost the race due to something he can't control. After the Giovinazzi incident with Max on much much fresher tires, he was still putting down good enough laps on decade old hards to extend the closing time to after the race end. 

Here is the thing. Had Max had a clearer head earlier in the season, he would have wrapped up the championship a while ago and there would have been no 'drama' happening this late in the season. Max had easily threw away 30-40 points this year. It had always been his to lose, and he almost did if not for some divine intervention earlier. 

it would have been unexpected had Hamilton won the title. Mercedes never did spent their developmental token this year, so the car is basically a 2020 car which was basically the 2019 car with the rear floor cut for the 2021 rule. It's amazing that he took a 2 year old car to within a few corners of winning the WDC. 

--

Bad.  F1 really created a giant mess with probably their biggest audience in years.   I had many friends and family reach out today about the race and they don’t normally follow F1.  Title is tainted regardless of outcome now. 

Whoopsy:

As expected, the stewards had dismissed the protest against Max passing Hamilton under safety car. It will just going to open a giant can of worm for them. Max gets to keep his title. But like 2008 with Hamilton and Glock, his title will be forever associated with this.

The other protest regarding the restarting procedures will not be as easy to dismiss, but also much harder to sort out, as there isn't a clear path for resolution in the book. 

At worse, the whole race result could be invalidated, but doesn't change much regarding the title as Max holds the tie breaker in the first place.

You can't penalize Max or RB for doing what the race director told everyone to do. I can't see a reasonable remedy here, other than the FIA promising to do a better job with apply the regulations consistently next year. When they wrote those rules they never anticipated a battle like they had this year. Smiley

FIA official response...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

FIA - page 1.png

FIA - page 2.png

FIA - page 3.png

...this may, of course, be subject to appeal at the "Final Final Final" hearing in Paris? Smiley

JoeRockhead:
    Whoopsy:

You can't penalize Max or RB for doing what the race director told everyone to do. I can't see a reasonable remedy here, other than the FIA promising to do a better job with apply the regulations consistently next year. When they wrote those rules they never anticipated a battle like they had this year. Smiley

Exactly, couldn’t agree more Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

UPDATE: "Mercedes lodges intention to appeal dismissal of Abu Dhabi GP protests" (Autosport)

(12 December 2021 at 7:40pm)

Mercedes has lodged its intention to appeal the stewards’ dismissal of its Abu Dhabi race result protests following the controversial end to the Formula 1 season.

Mercedes filed two protests with the FIA stewards at the Yas Marina Circuit over the race restart after Max Verstappen passed Lewis Hamilton on the final lap of the race to win the world championship.

The stewards dismissed both protests, including one of the resumption of the race with one lap remaining, but Mercedes has confirmed it has lodged its intention to appeal the decision.

“We have lodged our intention to appeal Document 58 / the decision of the stewards to dismiss the team’s protest,” said a Mercedes spokesperson after the race on Sunday.

It means Mercedes now has 96 hours to decide if it will continue and formally lodge an appeal with the FIA.

Link: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mercedes-lodges-intention-to-appeal-dismissal-of-abu-dhabi-gp-protests/6878901/

Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

FIA official response...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

FIA - page 1.png

FIA - page 2.png

FIA - page 3.png

...this may, of course, be subject to appeal at the "Final Final Final" hearing in Paris? Smiley

Stated before, they are not going to hang Masi out to dry. As the Race Director, he is entitled his interpretation of the rules. 

Masi wanted a 'race' finish. Of course he knows full well what 'might' happened. But he isn't biased one way or another. 

Even with 'biased' decisions before in the season, it wasn't him that decides the final resolutions, that's the stewards.

Had Latifi crashed one lap later, the situation could have been very different, the race could have finished under yellow.

His primary job function is to conduct a race in a safe way. Being fair or not is really not up to him, incidents the are reported to the Race Director are pretty much being passed onto the stewards, who are the actual  judges. The other race where he gave advice to Red Bull is just reminding them their options, either give up the place or get referred to the stewards. 

Mercedes can try all they want, appeal all they want, but there isn't an interpretation in the rule book that allow the race to be rewinded to a convenient earlier state. Race results are either certified or invalidated. Either option won't get Hamilton the title. 

FIA however could update the wording on the rule book over the winter break however. They are going to have their hands full writing however. The cat is out of the bag that one can drive like Max and get away with stuff. Leclerc, Norris and Russell could benefit driving like Max. In America people like NASCAR because of all the crashes and fender benders at speed, F1 seems to be heading that way in order to cater to the American market. Max is well positioned now as the poster boy with him crashing and banging on his way to his first championship.

--

JoeRockhead:
    Whoopsy:

I have said as much up to this point. 

There is no path for Mercedes to come out with Hamilton crowning champion. 

--

It’s a real mess what happened today.

Lewis was out driving Max and any other driver today with ease, even when he has been blocked by Perez and lost more than 5s in one lap he still could drive away from Max w/o any problems and on top of it he had a gap of more than 10s for the last 5 laps when the accident happened.

Why didn’t Massi bring up VSC and let the race finish in style?

Max stood no chance anymore, in Spa when it was raining cats & dogs they finished a race which didn’t even start and in the final race on the final lap they let Max of the leach with brand new softs whilst Lewis had his >31 laps old hards?!?

Come on, that was so gross!

Max is a fantastic and extremely fast‘n aggressive race driver, but this ending wasn’t fair especially to Lewis!

Yes, I‘m a die hard LH fan but not because he‘s a multiple WC but because he drives within sporting regulations and (race track) limits (other than Max).

Very sad day for F1 and Motorsport 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802500 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448327 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89891 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6372 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885272 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831819 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM