Forum - Thread

Re: Z4 M40i Roadster...an odd choice?

is there any down payment required?

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

From the above, apparently this model is so cheap to lease, almost a giveaway and with more generous warranty than  the standard 2 years on German cars.

There must be a reason behind that. Obviously, it appeals to very few people in RC's area and dealers have to unload. It could the Bavarian winter, it could be that the Z4 models are generally unappealing or it could be that someone who wants a small roadster for the fun of it doesn't need 340 PS. A 2.0i would do very well.

Anyway I find the current Z4 a very pleasing car in all respects. I would choose it over a 4 cylinder 718 anytime and save money at the same time.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

spudgun:

A new Z4 (or FL)  must be around the corner then, with these offers...anyway, that's a lot of car (and engine) for 599€ 👌🏼

I don't have a clue. I checked some German BMW Z discussion forums and the majority seems to insist that there won't be a facelift because BMW will stop Z4 production in 2023. Not sure how true this is because one user insisted he saw a camouflaged Z4 around the Nürburgring and it was from the BMW development center there.

I don't care to be honest because I needed a nice and fast convertible and this is the only one I could get. I set my budget at around 1000-1100 EUR (incl. VAT) per month, so it is a pretty sweet deal in the current very bad lease deals environment in Germany. I still cannot believe that a Boxster GTS 4.0 would have been 1500-1600 EUR a month. Insane. I paid much less for my R8 V10 Plus.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Yes, I pay 599 per month and after 36 months, I return the car.

Never had an issue with paying something at the end of the lease, with two exceptions but it was my wife's fault (rims and sunscreen on seats). I always take care of my cars, I do not have damaged rims or similar stuff.

No down payment (you can make one but it isn't required). 

We had pretty sweet lease deals over the past couple of years, where you can get a McLaren 570S for 999 EUR per month (with a 20000 EUR down payment but still under 1600 EUR per month) or an Audi R8 RWS for 999 EUR without down payment but these deals are mostly gone now. Smiley

I remember when my dealer offered me a brand-new 991.2 Turbo S Convertible worth 260k EUR for 2300 EUR a month and I told him he is nuts because this is way too expensive. He then adjusted the offer to 2100 EUR a month and I still didn't take it. Now you probably get a 992 Carrera Convertible (not even the S) for the same money. Smiley  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Thank you for the info RC!

Have I understood right, that in Germany people tend to lease more than buy a new car? Simply to understand the market

Also the question about insurance, are these cars fully covered?

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

Thank you for the info RC!

Have I understood right, that in Germany people tend to lease more than buy a new car? Simply to understand the market

Also the question about insurance, are these cars fully covered?

Most of the (business) people I know lease their cars, can't say much about private leases.

I don't have current numbers but in 2018, 41% of all cars in Germany were leased cars. 

Leasing is very popular with businesses but lately, also with private people (I think that over 50% of the lease contracts are private contracts now).

I have very good experiences with the lease companies from car manufacturers, I only least a car from a third party lease company once and while there were no issues when I returned the car, I heard some horrific stories from friends.

Regarding insurance: The driver is obligated to have a full coverage insurance. Some car manufacturers offer a service/insurance package as well for a monthly fee, which can be part of the lease rate.  

Right now, lease deals are generally pretty bad but it seems that BMW still has some good ones, especially if you own a business in Germany. BMW loves business customers. My dealer told me that there were two bonus incentives for dealers from BMW for business leases. I had to provide a few business related documents but nothing special.

My Mercedes dealer couldn't offer me any deal after I returned my C63 S AMG Convertible. Only deal he offered: I could keep the C63, get around 3000 EUR back and extend the lease for another 12 months for around 90 EUR less a month. I didn't want to drive this car anymore (it had already 60000 km, my wife kind of "killed" it Smiley), also because I wasn't a fan of the color combo (white exterior with red leather seats) my wife chose when we ordered the car.

I was offered a slightly used AMG GT C Roadster Mercedes HQ company car as a possibility for a new lease but they asked 2300 EUR for it and I said "thanks but no". Beautiful car but I barely use a convertible, so why pay so much money for it?! The C63 S Convertible was an exception because my wife drove it as well.

--

How much, f.e. in case of Z4 the insurance cost additionally? Or this price includes it?

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

How much, f.e. in case of Z4 the insurance cost additionally? Or this price includes it?

The Z4 M40i insurance is surprisingly cheap: I put my kids in the contract as well (just in case they want to drive it in summer but of course only if I drive with them Smiley) and it costs me around 1000 EUR a year, which is "cheap". My son's BMW 320d (latest model) is 2600 EUR per year but he is a beginner. My Huracan Performante is 2600 per year as well but I have been accident free since my 19th birthday (no kidding). My Trackhawk is 2000 EUR a year because I am using a contract with a worse "classification". The C63 S was very expensive (I think 2800) and I will use this contract for my son's car, so his insurance will drop from 2600 to 1500 or so. We have a slightly complicated system in Germany.

--

Yeah)) All is very different. Thank you for the info!

--

sportcars-history.com

I almost bought a Z4 sDrive30i from the same dealer, he had one in the showroom, in black with creme (or white) interior, it looked amazing and I hate the trapezoid formed exhaust pipes of the M40i. He asked 53k for it, brand-new, MSRP around 63k or 65k, don't remember anymore, fully loaded, it was a really really good offer but I had to decide on the spot (car was gone two days later) and I couldn't. The lease offer was only slightly less than the one for the M40i, I think 50 EUR cheaper or so, not worth it (lease).

Now I am glad I chose the M40i but for 53k, that car was a bargain and I still think about this deal.

You really need to be lucky with some deals: Back in autumn, when we picked up my son's 320d at the same dealer, they had a M40i with almost the same specs, also fully loaded, in the showroom. I asked for a deal and they offered that car for almost 800 per month and of course without winter wheels (worth 2400 EUR). My sales guy told me that convertibles are best to be bought end of the year (it is winter and also the dealer needs some additional sales to meet manufacturer demands and/or quotas), best deals available and he was right.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Thank you for the details, Christian! It is interesting because is totally different from Russian realities. There are no such a lease programs AFAIK. So you can only buy the car. The inflation in new car price, only for about 1 year about 20%... Craziness...

--

sportcars-history.com

what's your thoughs on the Spyder?
    I see a lot for sale with very low milage!!

My wife absolutely loves the Spyder.   Its amazing to drive, extremely balanced and nimble driving dynamics and we got it in manual so the driving experience is top notch.   It's subjective but we think it is the best looking car as well that Porsche makes at the moment.  The gearing is a bit long, probably more of a North American issue than one for Europe but minor niggle for us.   When people see our garage, people barely notice my Turbo, and 100% of the time they comment on my wife's Spyder.   The roof is a pain, but adds to the charm and since it is not her daily, truly not a problem.  So I can only guess that its not really a daily car, questionable roof and RS model coming out probably has some people selling theirs, but given that the RS will be PDK, we have no interest in an "upgrade" for this type of car and usage.

pgouveia:

what's your thoughs on the Spyder?
    I see a lot for sale with very low milage!!

I wanted a new Boxster Spyder, for 1500 (they asked 1700 for it, last negotiation), I would have probably leased one...but over 12 months waiting time? (I was actually grateful to get a production slot but waiting 12 months, nope). I set my limit to 1100, so even 1500 were a stretch. Wonderful car, the Spyder but not worth it (for me) because I really drive a convertible only when it is sunny and warm outside (or at least sunny Smiley).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Speaking of chip shortages: It seems that BMW started to equip newly manufactured cars without a touchscreen (infotainment system)!!! I was lucky: My car was produced in Oct. 2021, shortly before the decision was made. Without this decision, BMW would have been forced to stop the entire Z4 production, not even talking about other affected models.I read somewhere that customers were told about this decision after their ordered car was already manufactured. Insane.

--

RC:

Speaking of chip shortages: It seems that BMW started to equip newly manufactured cars without a touchscreen (infotainment system)!!! I was lucky: My car was produced in Oct. 2021, shortly before the decision was made. Without this decision, BMW would have been forced to stop the entire Z4 production, not even talking about other affected models.I read somewhere that customers were told about this decision after their ordered car was already manufactured. Insane.

guess between having to wait a year or go without touchscreen I would chose the latter....however, it will create a mess on the second hand market.

or get an Aston.....they didn't hear about touch screens in cars yet Smiley

RC:

We had to change the spec of our last BMW company car order 4 times because of the chip shortage. HiFi System was a problem. They offered the top system from Bowers&Wilkens for free because the HarmanKardon wasn't available… But college denied the offer, he uses a hearing aid and the top system was only available together with the not wanted sunroof and he would have had to pay more tax on his company car

intouch1:

I think you and I are the last ones here with love for Aston Smiley

Enmanuel:
    intouch1:

Emmanuel.....you are alone Smiley....I dont love them anymore 

I just went for the vantage to get out of the rapide....

The DB11 is not bad looking, but for someone with a quarter of a million EUR to dispose there are other choices.

Nevertheless, A-M is a historic brand and it deserves to be saved and brought up to date by a large Automotive Concern. Similar to what happened with Bentley.

--

intouch1:
    Enmanuel:
    intouch1:

Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

Enmanuel:
    intouch1:

Not sure I would have chosen an AM but my choice for the Z4 M40i was related to my limited budget

Otherwise I would have taken a 992 Carrera GTS Convertible or a Boxster Spyder.

The new SL is also very nice (I am invited to a "secret" Smiley Smiley reveal in January) but out of my budget.

--

RC:
    Enmanuel:
    intouch1:

Not sure I would have chosen an AM but my choice for the Z4 M40i was related to my limited budget

Otherwise I would have taken a 992 Carrera GTS Convertible or a Boxster Spyder.

The new SL is also very nice (I am invited to a "secret" Smiley Smiley reveal in January) but out of my budget.

RC is the Z4 your first car without AWD?

I remember you had an American car that was rear wheel drive but that was some time ago.

Even your supercar is AWD.

--

I can drive RWD as well... indecision I was quite skilled in drifting but after burning through a couple of sets of tires in one year, I stopped doing this crap, too expensive. 

Yes, my tuned GT500 had RWD and it was quite challenging. Just imagine 1050 Nm of torque with RWD, I don't think I need to say more. 

I wanted a convertible, it doesn't really matter if it has AWD or RWD, this is not a car I would use on mountain passes or for our spirited weekend fun drives. This is more of a car I would enjoy during warm(er) and sunny weather. This is also the reason why I didn't want to spend that much money on it, my budget was limited to around 1100-1200 EUR a month.

--

Very good value and an attractive front engine roadster design. I hope it will satisfy your "Freude am Fahren" requirements particularly when the weather changes.

BMW don't bother to fit AWD to this model, whereas both models of the 2 series that use the same engine (500 Nm) come only with X Drive. Probably the set up of the Z4 copes better in the wet and snow or simply it is a question of packaging limitations.

--

intouch1:
    Enmanuel:
    intouch1:

Smiley

Realistically I'd 100% go for a Porsche instead of an Aston given the choice. But I still like the brand and want them to stick around. 

RC: Nice Z4!

RC:

Oh, forgot to tell you guys: Lease rate dropped from 750 to 599 EUR.  

That is incredibly cheap and probably the only excuse for buying this monstrosity Smiley. If you like it, that is all that matters. Roof down motoring at this price in a supposedly sporty car does indeed make sense.

I had a great deal on mine before too. Something like 15k off MSRP. 

--

Whoopsy:

I recall being incredulous at your choice then as well Smiley.

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

I recall being incredulous at your choice then as well Smiley.

Yes you most definitely did!

The Z4 really isn't a bad choice of cars you know Smiley especially when the price is right.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764534 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436626 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261102 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258017 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82678 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876998 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809084 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM