Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Family SUV?

The Burmester stereo in the Cayenne (btw not in the Macan) is fantastic.

Seriously, i have a smile getting in to it. The Porsche bhps are of course “lite”. This car will spin wheels in second and even third gear without thinking about it, about as fast as you need in all circumstances (btw i am about to hit 10k miles and have not used launch control once…..). Would strongly recommend. If they did a GT w/o the fast back and WITH s sunroof i would take it in a heartbeat. 

Gnil:

When choosing a family SUV, practicality is way up in my list of priorities and I will put looks and some performance aside if I have to.  I want to make as easy as possible transporting kids and all that goes with it. Having for example 3 real independent seats at the back was a must have for me. Only a few SUV have that. 

I generally agree with what you say, practicality must be high. Although I probably do not need 3 independent seats as I have two kids and there will not be a third one

I drive recently a Macan base model and the handling and road feel is far superior to any corresponding car from BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Land Rover-Jaguar.

The subjective quality is very good but time will tell, of course. However, I don't think it will disappoint. My 997 is going to 13 years and it's like new and I sold recently a 14 year old 987 (to get the Macan) that also proved very robust and a product of quality. I know this length of car ownership is surreal for most of you that you change cars every 6 months or every year, but most premium car brands don't maintain their lustre and composure for so long.

A similar analogy is true in the case of the Cayenne vs rival brands. I wouldn't risk an amount >€100.000 on any other car.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

I don't like to drive any SUV on twisted roads. I do not buy a SUV for Hockenheim or for sporty driving. I buy it totally for an opposite usage. I buy a SUV to have space for family and for luggage. I buy a SUV to drive im comfort. I buy a SUV to have an opulent interior. For that reason I prefer X7, GLS, Range Rover over any Cayenne (I did have one years ago).

--

AM

Josef:
    I generally agree with what you say, practicality must be high. Although I probably do not need 3 independent seats as I have two kids and there will not be a third one

As long as you don't have an au pair to carry around with the 2 kids, you indeed will be fine  without 3 proper seats Smiley Gives you a much bigger range of choice.  

Gnil:
    Josef:

As long as you don't have an au pair to carry around with the 2 kids, you indeed will be fine  without 3 proper seats Smiley Gives you a much bigger range of choice.  

Maybe the mother in law Smiley

--

Josef:
    ALDO:

After 15 month and more than 30.000 km still happy with the car. BMW X7 M50i

That is what I want to hear indecision

I will certainly not buy an EV at the moment, in a few years yes but not now. The EQC is a bad concept, it is not a real EV, the e-tron as well. They are not really based on dedicated EV platforms which will obviously change over the coming years. I can drive EVs for another 40 years but only drove ICEs for 17 years so far.

I do not want a Cayenne, if I drive Porsche, it must be a real sports car. BMW is currently the best value for money IMO.

Agreed. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

reginos:
    Gnil:
    Josef:

Sometimes having just two seats is a plus indecision

Carlos from Spain:
    reginos:
    Gnil:
    Josef:

Smiley Smiley One of the many reasons I haven't gone for a convertible with four seats anymore. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

SmileyCarlos from Spain:
    reginos:
    Gnil:
    Josef:

SmileySmiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    reginos:
    Gnil:
    Josef:

Smiley

Gnil:
    Josef:

I had always dream of having a blonde 5'10" Russian or Czech au pair...............or even a pair of au pairs.........Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    Gnil:
    Josef:

I had always dream of having a blonde 5'10" Russian or Czech au pair...............or even a pair of au pairs.........Smiley

Most au pairs have a pair. Smiley

We had a Swedish nanny for a bit, most of our friends couldn't believe it was my wife's idea not mine. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

True. So I could have had a pair of au pairs that each also have a pair.

Haha lucky you!

My boys aren't kids anymore. No need for au pairs. If I get one now, it's would just be baby sitting me.

--

As I contemplate the numbers of Au pairs by the pair each with a pair, the exponential growth is fascinating. Unfortunately though it just reminds me of my wife hiring a pair of cleaning ladies who each looked a bit unfit for the task of cleaning or physical activity in general. Now that she has reduced her number of days per week in the office from 5 to 1, she takes care of the home cleaning and looks much better doing it. indecision

A bit reminiscent of the old old prayer "Oh Lord, lead me not into temptation, for I can find that myself." Yeah, I have already found it.

The family SUV when the kids are grown and you just need something tall enough for the wife to enjoy easy ingress and egress; well I picked up a Ford Escape "Kuga"  with a 3 cylinder engine. The growl compared to a 4 cylinder drone is charming. The local speed limits usually max at 55mph with a few 65mph bits. Must travel out of state for anything more.

In such a limited environment, the 1.5 liter 3 cylinder can motivate a minor SUV in a very satisfactory manor.

Have had 2 diesel X5 4.0's back to back and was very happy. Agree X7 has a front only a mother could love.

Am in between large SUVs as I am waiting for the new e-hybrid MY22/23 Cayenne (or perhaps e-hybrid S if rumours are correct) to be released. Thought I would have a break from BMW for a change.

Why no one is considering the VW Touareg?

It has a non-pretentious SUV style, good AWD capabilities and it is better value than Audi and probably BMW and Mercedes.

--

reginos:

It has a non-pretentious SUV style, good AWD capabilities and it is better value than Audi and probably BMW and Mercedes.

I am looking at the Touareg but the engines are a little bit disappointing, maybe a used 4.0l Diesel V8

I bought a loaded new Q7 with all the goodies in 2016, and I still love this car. It has the 272 HP diesel engine, and almost at 100,000 kms now and still as good as the day I bought it!  Its the work horse of the family and it does everything so well! I prefer the drive over my wife's 2019 400GLE Diesel, it's just a much more complete package.  The GLE is more powerful and nicer to look at, and packed as well with all the new tech, but there is something about that Audi that just works better as a package. 

Josef:
    reginos:

I am looking at the Touareg but the engines are a little bit disappointing, maybe a used 4.0l Diesel V8

900 Nm Smiley

--

Beware of the BMW X7. Never carry drinks in your luxury SUV.

I never take the motives behind these kind of American lawsuits seriously angry

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43586/class-action-lawsuit-alleges-bmw-cupholders-might-trigger-airbags

--

reginos:

Beware of the BMW X7. Never carry drinks in your luxury SUV.

I never take the motives behind these kind of American lawsuits seriously angry

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43586/class-action-lawsuit-alleges-bmw-cupholders-might-trigger-airbags

--

If it is a design flaw, it is a design flaw and BMW has to fix it. From the cup holder area, I expect it to be waterproof (it is always possible that people spill a drink accidentally). If BMW failed to take that into consideration, I think this lawsuit has some grounds.

--

A car's cupholder is not expected to hold absolutely firmly all sizes and shapes of liquid containers and all quantities of liquids included therein, IMO.

It is easy to claim faulty design for the sake of getting some easy money,  but someone should require common sense from the user in every activity of life and more so in elementary matters as above.

If the case in question is successful for the claimants, car companies might as well abolish cupholders, A car's cabin is neither a cafeteria nor a bar after all.

--

reginos:

A car's cupholder is not expected to hold absolutely firmly all sizes and shapes of liquid containers and all quantities of liquids included therein, IMO.

It is easy to claim faulty design for the sake of getting some easy money,  but someone should require common sense from the user in every activity of life and more so in elementary matters as above.

If the case in question is successful for the claimants, car companies might as well abolish cupholders, A car's cabin is neither a cafeteria nor a bar after all.

--

If a car offers a cup holder, it should be usable.

Have you seen the X7 cup holders? They are specifically made for holding drinks, they even have a cooling/heating feature. Sorry but in this case, I think that they need to be engineered properly.

--

It is time to sell my loved Cayenne Coupe turbo next year. What do you think about Bentley Bentayga S as a family SUV?

RC:
    reginos:

--

If a car offers a cup holder, it should be usable.

Have you seen the X7 cup holders? They are specifically made for holding drinks, they even have a cooling/heating feature. Sorry but in this case, I think that they need to be engineered properly.

Each cupholder has a certain diameter and a certain depth. Someone doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what fits where and at which level of filling, so that the liquids don't spill. And what quantities of liquids have been spilled? A few drops from someone's small water bottle or an entire liter and a half bottle? Personally, I don't expect a car's interior to be totally sealed to excessive spillage of liquids.

And if there were no electronics underneath the X7 console, such type of claimants would claim that the liquids damaged their clothing or the cars' cabins or if hot caused them burns or shock etc etc. in all kinds of exaggerated scenarios.

All such people massing behind a class action at comparatively lower cost. If such people had to finance a personal litigation from their own means they would have thought many times before engaging in a frivolous claim, I guess.

I've read that Class actions are generally not permitted in Germany, as German law does not recognize the concept of a targeted class being affected by certain actions. This requires each plaintiff to individually prove that they were affected by an action, and present their individual damages, and prove the causality between both parties. I find this very reasonable and something which cannot be manipulated by smart lawyers.

--

911tts:

It is time to sell my loved Cayenne Coupe turbo next year. What do you think about Bentley Bentayga S as a family SUV?

pretty it is not. but surely a great car.

911tts:

I am actually taking a second look at the Bentayga, I had rejected it outright when it first came out.

But now looking at all the variants, the Urus, the Bentayga, Cayenne, Q8, I am leaning towards it if I were to get another VAG SUV. 

--

The 2020 facelift improved the styling of the Bentayga, but I am afraid its looks still don't correspond to its price and perceived prestige of a royalty carrier.

From the list above the SQ8 is the most attractive design IMO.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689991 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409462 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255850 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235079 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65588 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858214 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774340 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM