Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Family SUV?

Good morning. As my family is growing (second child), I need to replace the Mercedes C. I am looking for an SUV this time. I already tested an E53 AMG and thought it was too similar to my car, which is not bad but I want a bigger change.

Generally, I am looking at Jaguar F-Pace, BMW X5, Mercedes GLE but also VW Touareg (not so interesting engine options though) but am also open for other ideas. Does anyone of you have experience with a X5 M50i or a GLE 53 AMG. I think such a big SUV needs torque, I therefore much prefer the M50i. However, from an ecological point of view, a big V8 does not really make sense in a big family car to drive around with two kids. This is why I am also looking at Diesel engines, BMW X5 40d, Mercedes GLE 400d for example.

What are your experiences and what would you suggest me to do? I am a little bit stuck here as I also fear that I will not be able to drive a V8 anymore in the not so distant future.

Re: Family SUV?

Josef:

Good morning. As my family is growing (second child), I need to replace the Mercedes C. I am looking for an SUV this time. I already tested an E53 AMG and thought it was too similar to my car, which is not bad but I want a bigger change.

Generally, I am looking at Jaguar F-Pace, BMW X5, Mercedes GLE but also VW Touareg (not so interesting engine options though) but am also open for other ideas. Does anyone of you have experience with a X5 M50i or a GLE 53 AMG. I think such a big SUV needs torque, I therefore much prefer the M50i. However, from an ecological point of view, a big V8 does not really make sense in a big family car to drive around with two kids. This is why I am also looking at Diesel engines, BMW X5 40d, Mercedes GLE 400d for example.

What are your experiences and what would you suggest me to do? I am a little bit stuck here as I also fear that I will not be able to drive a V8 anymore in the not so distant future.

The BMW 40d is a wonderful engine, suits the X5 well, lots of torque, proportionally low consumption - I have this engine in my 5series and a colleague of mine in his X5. Just food for thought, sometimes a station wagon may have more space available than a SUV ...

audi Q8 is a nice and good SUV

And if you need space, nothing beats the Q7 or SQ7. Don't stop at it's look. Take a test drive and you might in a very good surprise about driving dynamics and inside quality. 

We had the old X5 40d. Good, reliable, big SUV with no emotions and a good fuel consumptions. I have a 8 40d, perfect cruiser for restricted highways (Munich-Venice-Munich without refueling). In both cars the engine has enough power for restricted highways. As d997h wrote, really nice diesel engine, maybe not in Switzerland

I just ordered a new car, it’s my company car. Because of my customers it has to be “greener”, so I tested the X5 45e and the iX. I really liked the X5, I think you can do inner city driving always in full electric mode. In Sport mode the big SUV feels stronger than my 8 40d (while there is energy left in the batterie). I drive about 20.000km every year, only 8-10% on unrestricted highways, car has enough power for my use case.

In the end I ordered the iX. The exterior is polarizing (I like it 😊), but the driving experience is something completely new - for me in a positive way. Comfort and interior space much better than the X5, trunk big enough for my use case

d997h: I think an SUV feels roomier in the inside, it just has more volume which is what I am looking for.

intouch1 and Gnil: I am not a fan of the Q8 or Q7. However, I am looking at the SQ7, the latest one has a petrol engine (quite expensive right now) and the older ones with the Diesel engine should be fine as well. I probably need to drive one as you said.

Itsme: I looked at the 45e. What I do not like about the current hybrids, the battery is always in the back, killing >100l of cargo space but the cargo space is exactly the reason for buying a new car. The only car solving this problem to date is the brand new Range Rover (and the Ford Explorer) but it is too expensive. Same with the iX, it has only 500l cargo space, an X5 has 650l.

No emotions, even in a daily driver, is an issue for me. I want to feel at least something.

Josef:

d997h: I think an SUV feels roomier in the inside, it just has more volume which is what I am looking for.

intouch1 and Gnil: I am not a fan of the Q8 or Q7. However, I am looking at the SQ7, the latest one has a petrol engine (quite expensive right now) and the older ones with the Diesel engine should be fine as well. I probably need to drive one as you said.

Itsme: I looked at the 45e. What I do not like about the current hybrids, the battery is always in the back, killing >100l of cargo space but the cargo space is exactly the reason for buying a new car. The only car solving this problem to date is the brand new Range Rover (and the Ford Explorer) but it is too expensive. Same with the iX, it has only 500l cargo space, an X5 has 650l.

No emotions, even in a daily driver, is an issue for me. I want to feel at least something.

Hmmm, this deletes basically all diesel engines for you - speaking of noise. However, if you like high torque from low revvs ... Smiley

I would go for a X7 - drives superb and has a lot of room inside

--

AM

My answer would be simple. If you want the best buy Cayenne. What for to pay the same money for MB, Audi or BMW. Any modification. 

Also considering the speed limits in Switzerland what for is the excessively powerful  engine. So I would decrease the requirements on engine output to save on fuel and taxes (dont know how it is in Switzerland), but added some options.

--

sportcars-history.com

Josef:

I think no matter if you buy or lease, BMW has pretty good offers right now here in Europe.
    The only Mercedes SUV I would take would be the GLS 63 or the G 63. The others are too small for a family with two kids (congrats!).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

kudryavchik:

My answer would be simple. If you want the best buy Cayenne. What for to pay the same money for MB, Audi or BMW. Any modification. 

Also considering the speed limits in Switzerland what for is the excessively powerful  engine. So I would decrease the requirements on engine output to save on fuel and taxes (dont know how it is in Switzerland), but added some options.

--

sportcars-history.com

If you want simply the best - then you have to define the best. Cayenne hasn't the best interiour, isn't the most roomy, hasn't the biggest loading volume, isn't the most luxury SUV. Cayenne is the sportiest SUV after Urus (or maybe even RS Q8).

--

AM

I have this as my daily. Very happy with it!

photo from delivery day last year.

2F8F6DCB-6278-41D1-A4A2-AF41654CA26A.jpeg

--

2018 White 911 GT3

The new Cayenne Turbo GT is faster than the Urus, we already tried. Smiley

The Urus facelift will change that of course and the Urus Sport will be another SUV category in it's own.

I think the current X5 M Performance is the best deal for a very sporty SUV right now.

I like the RS Q8 a lot but I think Audi has worse lease deals than BMW right now for their SUVs but I'm not sure.

Also, the X5 M Performance is faster.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Something way out of left field. Say EVs? They have special benefits for EVs in Switzerland, no?

Mercedes EQC and Audi e-Tron. My e-Tron is just as roomy as a Q8. I believe the EQC is even roomier. 

The new BMW iX may not be a looker, but it's about the size of an X3, maybe slightly bigger.

--

Gauss:

I have this as my daily. Very happy with it!

photo from delivery day last year.

2F8F6DCB-6278-41D1-A4A2-AF41654CA26A.jpeg

Which engine do you have? I tend to go for the M50i as a last celebration of ICE before I have to switch to EVs as well. Also kind of interested in the Dähler exhaust system to give the car a little bit more soul...

We had an x5 40i and I'd recommend it to anyone. We traded it in for a Lincoln aviator because we needed 3 rows and more space than the x5 had and I couldn't get past how ugly the front of the x7 is. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I also have the 40i. It's more than enough for me. Couldn't be happier. kiss Good luck in whatever you end up with.

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Josef:

Congrats! Smiley ...and say goodbye to life as you know it Smiley

I would go for an EV like the Audi e-tron if you want a SUV. Or a Taycan Cross Turismo if you can manage with a "cross over sport wagon". I am obviously biased.

Diesels I never learned to love. V8 petrols have lovely character, but you will cry every time you fill up the tank. I feel these huge SUVs with big V8 engines are less and less accepted (from myself included). That leaves EV with lots of instant torque but comes with range anxiety Smiley

Mate, try a Cayenne, just fantastic. I have the turbo and while not so E friendly perhaps, it is wonderful and puts a smile on your face. And for the twisties in CH, nothing else comes close…. Drive it back to back v the barges from BMW and make up your own mind

There is also size anxiety. I like the cayenne but I found the boot too small for our needs, 27 cubic feet vs the x5's 34. The lincoln has 42. I'm not looking for a sports car dynamic with this SUV, size along with a quiet, opulent interior wins the day. Easy power is nice too but that's available with all of them. The cayenne is tighter and the interior quality isn't as good as the x5's which isn't as good as the Aviator's.

Different needs, different end results. 

--

I recently got myself a new Land Rover Defender 90. If you need a proper SUV, it will do everything really well. 
    mostly I’m surprised how well mannered it is on the curvy roads, not like a cayenne of course but an offroader has no right. Very pleasant on the highway and the seats are so comfortable. Of course if off-roading is not part of your plans then there are better options. 

IMG_3987.jpeg
    IMG_3986.jpeg

--

AM

After 15 month and more than 30.000 km still happy with the car. BMW X7 M50i

--

AM

I think for drivers Cayenne is the top SUV. For all-round attributes and better value, the BMW SUVs.

For me BMW is the default choice in most classes, if a Porsche won't do, for whatever reasons.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

ALDO:

That is what I want to hear indecision

I will certainly not buy an EV at the moment, in a few years yes but not now. The EQC is a bad concept, it is not a real EV, the e-tron as well. They are not really based on dedicated EV platforms which will obviously change over the coming years. I can drive EVs for another 40 years but only drove ICEs for 17 years so far.

I do not want a Cayenne, if I drive Porsche, it must be a real sports car. BMW is currently the best value for money IMO.

Josef:
    ALDO:

That is what I want to hear indecision

I will certainly not buy an EV at the moment, in a few years yes but not now. The EQC is a bad concept, it is not a real EV, the e-tron as well. They are not really based on dedicated EV platforms which will obviously change over the coming years. I can drive EVs for another 40 years but only drove ICEs for 17 years so far.

I do not want a Cayenne, if I drive Porsche, it must be a real sports car. BMW is currently the best value for money IMO.

You want regret it 

--

AM

When choosing a family SUV, practicality is way up in my list of priorities and I will put looks and some performance aside if I have to.  I want to make as easy as possible transporting kids and all that goes with it. Having for example 3 real independent seats at the back was a must have for me. Only a few SUV have that. 

So a Lincoln Aviator is better in term of finish than X7?

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

So a Lincoln Aviator is better in term of finish than X7?

My wife preferred it to the X5's interior (and that's a lot of why she made me switch) and fit and finish wise they are comparable. I haven't spent much more than a few minutes in an X7, I just can't get past the nose, it's a non-starter for me.  That said you would be shocked at the Aviator's interior. Top three stereo I"ve heard in a car, the 30 way front seats are exceptional and most importantly for us with two boys 7 & 11 is that the rear captain's chairs are totally separate with a large center console between them. I can actually fit fine in the fold out 3rd row (at 178cm and 87kg) but the whole car isn't appreciably bigger than the X5 or MLs we had before it. 

--

Mate all i can say is go and drive a Cayenne turbo. It may not have the absolute space but i enjoy driving it, a lot. Some times i even take it over the GT4. Engine is fantastic (admittedly sounds better outside than inside) but the only thing that sounds better is a G wagen, and that is crap at high speed. I honestly  think the Cayenne turbo, right now, is the best all round car you can buy. Pls drive it before making a decision. And no comparison vs the floaty BMW X5 and X7. Seriously on a different level.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689443 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409148 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234973 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857921 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773962 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM