Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Z4 M40i Roadster...an odd choice?

Whoopsy:
    crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

I had a great deal on mine before too. Something like 15k off MSRP. 

I recall being incredulous at your choice then as well Smiley.

Yes you most definitely did!

The Z4 really isn't a bad choice of cars you know Smiley especially when the price is right.

The Z4 actually reminds me a little bit of the Z8, design-wise and it really looks good in my opinion. I never paid attention to it because I never cared about low powered Smiley cars, driving something below 400 hp isn't my thing. Smiley

I mean, c'mon...1500-1600 EUR per month for a Boxster GTS 4.0? Insane. For this kind of money, I got my 991.2 GTS Convertible back in the days. 2100 EUR for a used AMG GTC C? Nope. I drive a convertible only when it is nice outside, so probably only a couple of weeks here in Germany. Smiley Not worth it to pay that much money for it. 

It may have been a good decision: My daughter just asked me if I would get a Tesla 3 for myself and I looked at her and she had a grin on her face, basically meaning: "Hey Daddy, how about a Tesla 3 for me?". Smiley A Tesla 3 is around 400-600 EUR a month over here, depending on the model, so I am thinking about getting one (Long Range, not Performance) but I'm still not sure this is a car for a beginner, probably not. Smiley I think I rather let her drive the Z4 from time to time but still not sure. She is a very careful driver but you never know.

Oh, btw.: My son has already driven almost 8000(!) km in his 320d since October. Unbelievable. No accident, no bruised rim, nothing. I am really proud of him and he is even handling the current snowy and icy weather over here quite well, I really didn't expect it. I told him not to become over-confident, I just hope he listens. He is basically only driving, sleeping, going to school and studying. Smiley No more video gaming or meeting with friends, nothing. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

crayphile:
    RC:

Oh, forgot to tell you guys: Lease rate dropped from 750 to 599 EUR.  

That is incredibly cheap and probably the only excuse for buying this monstrosity Smiley. If you like it, that is all that matters. Roof down motoring at this price in a supposedly sporty car does indeed make sense.

I wouldn't call it cheap (considering the lease offers I got in the past but right now... Smiley Smiley) but acceptable. Smiley

I do not understand why you don't like the Z4 M40i, it does the Nordschleife in 7:55 min (not that it matters Smiley) and it a very nice sounding small roadster with excellent quality. It reminds me a little bit of the Z8 and I always loved the Z8.

The only thing I do not really like is the interior of the Z4: It looks good, it is high quality and the cognac colored seats and door panels make a difference but it basically looks like my son's 3 series (G20) interior. Smiley I wish BMW would have been a little bit more generous here.

The B58 engine of the car delivers more than 340 hp, there doesn't seem to be one engine to have been tested under 360 hp on the dyno (talking about the EU engine with GPF) and performance of the EU and US models (382 hp without GPF) is basically the same, weird.

Also, unlike most BMW RWD models, the Z4 M40i has surprisingly good traction and doesn't try to kill you every time you fully press the throttle. Smiley The 50/50 weight distribution may have something to do with that.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Real pics coming around next weekend, I pick up my car on Wednesday.

This is the US version btw..

13-12-_2021_11-19-26.jpg

13-12-_2021_11-21-23.jpg

13-12-_2021_11-21-03.jpg

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:
    crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

I had a great deal on mine before too. Something like 15k off MSRP. 

I recall being incredulous at your choice then as well Smiley.

Yes you most definitely did!

The Z4 really isn't a bad choice of cars you know Smiley especially when the price is right.

The Z4 actually reminds me a little bit of the Z8, design-wise and it really looks good in my opinion. I never paid attention to it because I never cared about low powered Smiley cars, driving something below 400 hp isn't my thing. Smiley

I mean, c'mon...1500-1600 EUR per month for a Boxster GTS 4.0? Insane. For this kind of money, I got my 991.2 GTS Convertible back in the days. 2100 EUR for a used AMG GTC C? Nope. I drive a convertible only when it is nice outside, so probably only a couple of weeks here in Germany. Smiley Not worth it to pay that much money for it. 

It may have been a good decision: My daughter just asked me if I would get a Tesla 3 for myself and I looked at her and she had a grin on her face, basically meaning: "Hey Daddy, how about a Tesla 3 for me?". Smiley A Tesla 3 is around 400-600 EUR a month over here, depending on the model, so I am thinking about getting one (Long Range, not Performance) but I'm still not sure this is a car for a beginner, probably not. Smiley I think I rather let her drive the Z4 from time to time but still not sure. She is a very careful driver but you never know.

Oh, btw.: My son has already driven almost 8000(!) km in his 320d since October. Unbelievable. No accident, no bruised rim, nothing. I am really proud of him and he is even handling the current snowy and icy weather over here quite well, I really didn't expect it. I told him not to become over-confident, I just hope he listens. He is basically only driving, sleeping, going to school and studying. Smiley No more video gaming or meeting with friends, nothing. Smiley Smiley

--

Model3- Perfect car for beginner. You can set a speed limit and also remove the nutso acceleration with the settings. You also always know where the car is, where she is heading, the speed of the car.  You can even turn down the music volume from you seat at home.  Can’t be beat for safety. 

Thanks for the advice. Smiley

--

Sales guy sent first photos of my car on winter wheels...

Pickup is tomorrow. devil

z3.jpg
    z2.jpg
    1639499716985z1.jpg

--

BMW's quality must be slipping.  That bonnet gap looks more appropriate for a Tesla.    

Nice car and look forward to reading how that matte finish survives the winter. 

I can't imagine how you will look with the roof down and one of you ROO with the CAT boots smiley

I can envisage a payment for that picture

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

CGX car nut:

BMW's quality must be slipping.  That bonnet gap looks more appropriate for a Tesla.    

+ 420!

That car looks better in real life then on photos. Congratulations and enjoy it .

congrats RC

CGX car nut:

Smiley Smiley

Thank you. Smiley Don't worry, from all the reports I've read, the Frozen Grey II is a very sturdy color, the paint seems to be pretty "tough", incl. stone chips. I had an E63 with a matte grey and it was a very forgiving color. Only washing is a pain in the ass because you need a special shampoo but otherwise, it is OK.

--

Gnil:

That car looks better in real life then on photos. Congratulations and enjoy it .

I know. I never liked the Z4...like ever. Then, I started to see cars on the road and I liked it. When I saw one in Frozen Grey II at my dealer when we picked up my son's 320d, I fell in love but I wasn't interested in a cab at that time, also because lease offers were pretty bad. In reality, this car looks basically like a smaller version of the Z8.

--

intouch1:

congrats RC

Thank you. Smiley Of course this is no real sportscar or supercar but for this kind of money, it is perfect. Smiley

--

the-missile:

I can't imagine how you will look with the roof down and one of you ROO with the CAT boots smiley

I can envisage a payment for that picture

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Smiley

--

RC:
    CGX car nut:

Smiley Smiley

Thank you. Smiley Don't worry, from all the reports I've read, the Frozen Grey II is a very sturdy color, the paint seems to be pretty "tough", incl. stone chips. I had an E63 with a matte grey and it was a very forgiving color. Only washing is a pain in the ass because you need a special shampoo but otherwise, it is OK.

All paints etch under certain conditions.  For example we drove on a mud covered road a few days.  Even with a well detailed paint finish the mud etched the clearcoat in several places.  Matte finishes tend towards more susceptibility.  

RC:
    intouch1:

congrats RC

Thank you. Smiley Of course this is no real sportscar or supercar but for this kind of money, it is perfect. Smiley

we have been around the block.....no reason to always go for the fastest, biggest or baddest. just do what you enjoy and makes sense to you.

First 150 km in this car and I am positively surprised (I never drove it before, believe it or not ):

1. Traction: Excellent. First RWD BMW which doesn't seem to want to constantly kill you. broken heart Even with the 255s winter tires, the traction is very good, even on wet and slippery roads. The rear twitches a little bit but nothing more, the car doesn't go sideways or whatever and the traction is very very good. 

2. Comfort: Wow, the interior is really big. Even my son (he is over 1,92 m in height) feels comfortable. A lot of space between the seats as well, very nice.

3. Engine: Well, in Sport and Sport Plus, this engine feels like a treat. Very spontaneous throttle response. The sound is also surprisingly good but...disclaimer...I disabled the exhaust flap control (flap is always open) and disabled the ASD (basically the artificial sound coming from the speakers) using an OBD adapter. Sound is a deep 6-cylinder growl, which gets higher in tone with higher revs. For a car equipped with a GPF, it sounds quite nice I have to admit. blush

The interesting part is: It isn't even illegal (disabling the exhaust flap) because the car achieves the sound limits with open flap as well. BMW uses the flap for comfort issues because not all drivers seem to like the deep growl at lower rev figures. 

4. Seats: Seating comfort is amazing, seats are highly adjustable, no issues here.

5. Trunk is amazingly big for a roadster and the fun part is that it stays the same way when the top is open.

6. Fuel consumption (keep in mind that I am driving the car in Sport Plus mode all the time) is around 12.8 l / 100 km. Run-in period is around 2000 km and only up to 4500 rpm, the Sport Plus mode shifts late, so I always have to be careful not too press the throttle too hard, so it shifts early. 

7. The Frozen Grey II color looks spectacular, it is basically a shiny(!) matte color, as weird as this may sound.

Overall, I am pretty happy with it so far, I hope it stays this way. Unfortunately the weather doesn't permit it (yet) to drive around with an open top.  

--

More pictures...

zz2.jpg

zz10.jpg

zz3.jpg
    Winter wheels with 255/18 Conti TS830 (front/rear), summer tires are 255/19 front and 275/19 rear (Michelin Super Sport).

zz8.jpg
    Don't be surprised, the German speedo is limited to 260 kph but this is the special version of it... Smiley

zz1.jpg

zz9.jpg
    Usually, you won't see the M logo in the display but... Smiley

zz6.jpg

zz7.jpg
    Staying open all the time... Smiley

zz4.jpg

zz5.jpg

--

That is definitely a nice looking car.  I don't believe I have even seen one on the road though the BMW X7 is very popular in this part of the States.  

CGX car nut:

That is definitely a nice looking car.  I don't believe I have even seen one on the road though the BMW X7 is very popular in this part of the States.  

I know it is hard to believe and everyone is expecting me to say this (of course, I got one Smiley) but I think the Z4 is really an underappreciated car and people haven't really noticed it yet, especially in certain colors and color/wheel combinations. I got two thumbs up today and I usually get this only with my Performante. Smiley

It also feels very nice to drive, very nimble, the steering is very direct (but feels a bit numb when you go straight, probably for comfort reasons and yes, even on bad roads, you can barely feel something in the steering wheel) and it turns quite well, the short wheelbase is fun.

With the open exhaust valve/flap, even the exhaust sound is good for a car with DPF (US model sounds louder and slightly higher in pitch because it has no DPF). For 599 EUR a month, this is a steal. My Mercedes dealer asked 500 EUR for a crappy A250 hybrid, the lease offers over here are really quite bad right now. 

--

RC:
    CGX car nut:

I know it is hard to believe and everyone is expecting me to say this (of course, I got one Smiley) but I think the Z4 is really an underappreciated car and people haven't really noticed it yet, especially in certain colors and color/wheel combinations. I got two thumbs up today and I usually get this only with my Performante. Smiley

It also feels very nice to drive, very nimble, the steering is very direct (but feels a bit numb when you go straight, probably for comfort reasons and yes, even on bad roads, you can barely feel something in the steering wheel) and it turns quite well, the short wheelbase is fun.

With the open exhaust valve/flap, even the exhaust sound is good for a car with DPF (US model sounds louder and slightly higher in pitch because it has no DPF). For 599 EUR a month, this is a steal. My Mercedes dealer asked 500 EUR for a crappy A250 hybrid, the lease offers over here are really quite bad right now. 

--

This is an under appreciated category of automobiles and proof that high horsepower numbers aren't needed for an entertaining drive.  A few years ago, you may recall, I attended an Audi motorsport event at the Autobahn Driving Club outside Chicago.  I had the opportunity to drive both an R8 and TT RS on the track for many laps.  I was immediately struck by how comfortable it was to drive the TT RS at speed on the track while there was a bit of a learning curve to push the R8.  At first glance, the TT RS is compromised from its lowly MQB components but that difference erodes away because its performance is readily accessible, just like you are finding with the Z4.  At limit, however, the R8 is the more capable car but it takes work and skill to get to that area of the performance curve.  

It's just unfortunate that they feel hatefully uncontrollable on tramline roads (like we sadly have in abundance in the UK). 

--

991.2 C2S Cab, X3 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

Congrats RC.  Much better looking than any of the new BMW with the big front grill.  Beware that this may become your keeper indecision

--

Tim

2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S;  2019 Speedster;  2021 Roma

Thanks guys but I also have something bad to say about the Z4: It is a surprisingly fast car in curves (I have 255s winter tires allover right now and they are amazing on cold roads) but there is too much "movement" (not sure how to explain it correctly) in the chassis (even in the sportiest driving mode), it lacks a certain gokart feel.

It is a pity because the Boxster can provide this sporty chassis feel quite well and it wouldn't have costed BMW a fortune to use a more sporty setup. I guess the Z4 is made for a different group of buyers, who aren't looking just for sportiness but some comfort as well. I don't hate it, it kind of makes me drive calmer and enjoy nature (when driving with an open top) but I miss a little bit the gokart feel of the Boxster.

Same goes to the steering, it is too dampened. Yes, it is very comfortable on bad roads (you can barely feel the bad road in the steering wheel) but it also lacks a bit of steering feel, especially when driving straight.

The 3 series interior is also a little bit too "common", it basically looks like the interior of my son's 320d (G20). Thank god I chose some color in the interior, the cognac colored leather certainly makes a difference.

Keeper? I don't know. A Boxster Spyder would have been a keeper but not sure about the Z4 M40i. I like a lot how it looks though.

--

I think BMWs ( I haven't tried the FrontWD ones as yet) have a nice blend of sportiness and comfort which is pleasing 90% of the time. They are very pleasant from the moment you sit in the car, they are comfortable on imperfect roads, the steering is accurate and comfortable but with a strange artificial feel sometimes and they handle very well until you reach and exceed the top 90% of their performance envelope.

The chassis of the Boxster has been superior to the BMW Z-cars since the beginning in the 1990s but as expected Porsche prices are significantly inflated over the BMWs.

RC, as always,  got a nice leasing deal for the Z4 that justifies the choice. Personally, I wouldn't pay 65-70K EUR out of my own funds to buy this car. I would have readily preferred a pre-owned Porsche for that money, but also I wouldn't hesitate to stretch to the full price of a GTS or  future classic Spyder and keep that car for a long time, as I always do.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:

I think BMWs ( I haven't tried the FrontWD ones as yet) have a nice blend of sportiness and comfort which is pleasing 90% of the time. They are very pleasant from the moment you sit in the car, they are comfortable on imperfect roads, the steering is accurate and comfortable but with a strange artificial feel sometimes and they handle very well until you reach and exceed the top 90% of their performance envelope.

I guess you summoned it up pretty accurately. 

The chassis of the Boxster has been superior to the BMW Z-cars since the beginning in the 1990s but as expected Porsche prices are significantly inflated over the BMWs.

I think the Z4 chassis has a lot of potential, this isn't just a derived 2 or 3 series chassis but a completely new developed one for the Z4 and Supra. I guess BMW didn't want to make something super sporty and judging by what Toyota did with it, I think the Supra is a failure (not a complete one) as well. The car has potential but apparently they were looking for a different type of customer than I am.

RC, as always,  got a nice leasing deal for the Z4 that justifies the choice. Personally, I wouldn't pay 65-70K EUR out of my own funds to buy this car. I would have readily preferred a pre-owned Porsche for that money, but also I wouldn't hesitate to stretch to the full price of a GTS or  future classic Spyder and keep that car for a long time, as I always do.

Of course I wouldn't have bought it (and if, with the usually 12-15% discount, last year they were going for over 20% discount). Good luck getting a used Spyder for under 100k and don't forget that Porsches are not cheap (anymore) in maintenance. I was checking all my options but at the end, only the Z4 was justifyable from all points of view. It is a compromise for me since I am not really a convertible type of guy but I wanted to have one in the garage, so this is it. Smiley 

--

RC:

Thanks guys but I also have something bad to say about the Z4: It is a surprisingly fast car in curves (I have 255s winter tires allover right now and they are amazing on cold roads) but there is too much "movement" (not sure how to explain it correctly) in the chassis (even in the sportiest driving mode), it lacks a certain gokart feel.

It is a pity because the Boxster can provide this sporty chassis feel quite well and it wouldn't have costed BMW a fortune to use a more sporty setup. I guess the Z4 is made for a different group of buyers, who aren't looking just for sportiness but some comfort as well. I don't hate it, it kind of makes me drive calmer and enjoy nature (when driving with an open top) but I miss a little bit the gokart feel of the Boxster.

Same goes to the steering, it is too dampened. Yes, it is very comfortable on bad roads (you can barely feel the bad road in the steering wheel) but it also lacks a bit of steering feel, especially when driving straight.

The 3 series interior is also a little bit too "common", it basically looks like the interior of my son's 320d (G20). Thank god I chose some color in the interior, the cognac colored leather certainly makes a difference.

Keeper? I don't know. A Boxster Spyder would have been a keeper but not sure about the Z4 M40i. I like a lot how it looks though.

Like I said: in my experience the car felt more like my 7 series than my 997. Still prettier than a boxter though.

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

The Z4 M40i is somewhere between the 3 series (G20) with M sport package and the new M4. Exactly in the middle.

BMW updates their software OTA (control units) all the time and there are constant improvements. 

My car has 07/2021.30 but the latest one seems to be .50 but it isn't available for my car yet (although it has been manufactured in October 2021 Smiley).

I don't think that the movements in the chassis can be solved by a simple software update, I think different engine mounts (even active ones) would do the trick.

I wish I had some comparison to the new Toyota Supra but I didn't have the chance to drive one yet.

It is still surprising how fast this little thing is in turns on these narrow (255s) winter tires and on cold pavements but the chassis movements drive me crazy and this is not tire related, this car is just tuned for a sporty but also comfortable ride. It is fast though, no doubt. 

--

It seems you are dissapointed

--

sportcars-history.com

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752981 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430650 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258563 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255445 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868260 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801802 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM