Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Z4 M40i Roadster...an odd choice?

The people who know me may be a little bit surprised that I got myself a new BMW Z4 M40i but let me explain:

I was looking for a convertible to replace my C63 S AMG Convertible (well, actually my wife's car but it went back to the lease company after 3 years). My first choice for replacement was a 911 Carrera S or GTS Convertible. I really like the current 911 and it is an amazing sports car, even without the GT flavor.

Only problem is: I barely drive a convertible, only when it is sunny and warm outside and maybe on weekends. 

My Porsche dealer did some calculations and I ended up with a lease rate over 2000(!) EUR per month for the cheapest configuration. Ouch. The GTS was somewhere around 2300 EUR.

I like the new Boxster Spyder a lot (engine, chassis, brakes), so I asked my dealer about it. No chance, delivery time is over a year. I found a production slot through a Porsche contact and was happy but then, the dealer did the lease calculations and I ended up with 1700 EUR a month. For a Boxster. Ouchie. Just for fun, I let the dealer run the Boxster GTS 4.0 numbers and he ended up with 1500 EUR. Ouchie again. So no Porsche for me.

Went to my Mercedes dealer and guess what: No cars. No AMG GT Roadster. Just some of their test cars. Used AMG GT C Roadster test car was around 2400 EUR per month. Nope. New SL will very likely have a lease factor of 1.3-1.6, so I would end up over 2000 EUR with that car as well. So no Mercedes for me.

Checked out Jaguar with the F-Type SVR and the lease rate for the AWD model was around 1400 EUR per month. Kind of more acceptable but still not in the budget I was looking for (1200 at max, my C63 S Cab was 1100 per month).

I found an Audi R8 RWS Spyder for 1400 a month, very good offer for such a car but driving the R8 to my business and parking the car in front of it? A no go. Too exotic.

Long story short: I looked at so many different cars and at some point, I found the BMW Z4. I never really paid attention to this car because it was never on my radar, don't know why. 

Saw a beautiful Z4 M40i at my dealer, frozen-grey II color (some sort of satin matte paint, difficult to explain but it looks amazing) with light brown interior. The car looks gorgeous in person. Even my son, he isn't into convertibles, likes this car a lot.

I let my dealer do some calculations back in October on a similar car and it was a little bit too expensive for such a car. 880 EUR per month lease after some negotiating. Car was worth 78k EUR (fully loaded!).

I postponed my decision until December because I knew that dealers usually want to sell some cars in December to meet some specific yearly numbers they are required to meet and Roadsters aren't exactly bestsellers in winter time. 

Last week, my BMW dealer called and asked if I am still interested in a Z4 and I said "maybe". I didn't expect the call but was happy that he called. 

Well, I ended up getting one for 750 EUR a month, including a new set of winter wheels (worth 2400 EUR). First, we ended up at 800 EUR with winter wheels but he wrote me an hour later that they did some miscalculations in the lease (used the wrong lease configuration in the system) and the lease is actually 750 EUR. Wow, an honest car dealer. Smiley

Car is brand new, they got it a month ago, latest model year, fully loaded.

I already drove the Z4 M40i and I know it is no Boxster but I like how it looks, classic Roadster look and it drives nicely and for the couple of thousands of kms a year I will do in this car, it is sufficient for me.
    Surprising: Insurance is surprisingly cheap for this car.

This is the car (exactly this one):

z43.jpg
    z42.jpg
    z41.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Re: Z4 M40i Roadster...an odd choice?

odd choice...yes....but what counts is that you like it.

just as I am in the making of an odd choice too with the vantage roadster that I am negotiating on as mentioned in the vantage thread.

congrats kiss

As said before, I like the new Z4. I think it does look good.
    Nice choice of colours and interior design as well.

Many congrats. wink

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

intouch1:

odd choice...yes....but what counts is that you like it.

just as I am in the making of an odd choice too with the vantage roadster that I am negotiating on as mentioned in the vantage thread.

congrats kiss

I like it...out of the choices I had.

A Vantage Roadster is of course a different league Smiley but like I said before, I didn't want to spend too much money for a car I barely drive. Also, it would be impossible to drive to work in a Vantage Roadster. Smiley

I wish you good luck with your negotiation. Smiley Nice car!!!

Lease offers are very bad right now in Germany, same goes to discounts on cars. Everyone seems to be afraid of inflation, so they spend all their money, including cars. My Mercedes dealer has delivery times of 6-12 months even for shitty cars nobody really wants.

BMW dealers seem to have stock though, which surprised me. My dealer even offered me a new BMW M4 Performance xDrive Convertible (I thought all M3/M4 are blocked because of engine issues Smiley) they have in stock(!) but 1700 EUR for it? No thanks.

The Z4 is a very nice roadster, now that I looked more into it and I think it is an underrated car, probably the reason I was able to get such a good deal. The dealer had several new cars in stock, another interesting one was a black one with white (creme?) colored interior, very nice. I decided to go with frozen grey II because it looks more special, even if the color is a pain in the ass to clean (I already had an E63 AMG with a similar color) and in case of an accident, re-painting is also complicated.

It is a matter of taste though of course but I only realized how nice the Z4 looks when I actually saw one in person at the dealership. Only negative thing about it is the interior. The dashboard looks basically the same as on my son's latest model BMW 3 series. Smiley

The car drives nicely, similar to a Boxster but there is a little bit more body movement in fast changing curves. Not a real issue though. Steering feel in Sport mode is very direct and the car still sounds surprisingly good (for a new car).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Rossi:

As said before, I like the new Z4. I think it does look good.
    Nice choice of colours and interior design as well.

Many congrats. wink

Thank you. Smiley

--

I like the design of the current Z4, especially the look of the Z4 ///M. One of the best for BMW in recent years. Congratulations for ordering one kiss

The population of Z4s in Cyprus is not large but all are driven by women for some reason. It's generally a young person's car and the majority in this age group cannot afford it. So, it is ultimately owned by women in their late 30s and 40s.

The matt colour is not the best IMO. Shiny black is top I think as well as a nice shade of BMW red.

Boxster or Z4? The BMW is a better value and given that Boxsters do depreciate, the Z4 is a more reasonable choice. The Boxster 25 Years is a very good proposition however, a car for life if there were such a thing.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Interesting, thanks for sharing. The Z4 is not really liked by women here (I think), haven't seen women driving it, mostly men but often over 40 or so. I guess German women like practical cars and since a Roadster has no rear seats. Smiley

Younger people here usually cannot afford this car, they go for the Mini convertible instead which is more than half the price, very popular especially with younger women here in Germany. The 1 or 2 series convertibles (used) are also popular. 

Boxster isn't a women's car anymore it seems, most Boxsters I've seen lately are driven by men. Funny: Most 911 convertibles I see are driven by women. Smiley May be a German thing though only.

I leased the Z4, so I do not care about depreciation. Smiley

--

RC:

Interesting, thanks for sharing. The Z4 is not really liked by women here (I think), haven't seen women driving it, mostly men but often over 40 or so. I guess German women like practical cars and since a Roadster has no rear seats. Smiley

Younger people here usually cannot afford this car, they go for the Mini convertible instead which is more than half the price, very popular especially with younger women here in Germany. The 1 or 2 series convertibles (used) are also popular. 

Boxster isn't a women's car anymore it seems, most Boxsters I've seen lately are driven by men. Funny: Most 911 convertibles I see are driven by women. Smiley May be a German thing though only.

Missing are your wife’s impressions?  Is this not to replace her car? 
    Here in the US the Boxster is always going to be a lady’s car thanks to the Two and a half Men episode where Alan owned one. The Z4 may suffer a bit along those lines due to association.  

Leawood911:
    RC:

Missing are your wife’s impressions?  Is this not to replace her car? 
    Here in the US the Boxster is always going to be a lady’s car thanks to the Two and a half Men episode where Alan owned one. The Z4 may suffer a bit along those lines due to association.  

smiley ... no, it was a Boxster S ... smiley

Congratulations, RC, and thanks for sharing the thought / decision process.

I've always had a Porsche as a daily driver since my college days (40 years ago), and sometimes I wonder what I've been missing by not exploring more broadly.

For sure, I've spent a few days with M3's and Z4's, ZL-1 GT-350, Lotuses, and more extensive time in Corvettes (I worked for GM for a couple of years, on the Lotus built active suspension Corvette). But I never _lived_ with any of these cars for any extended period; never developed a deeper appreciation for any of them. 

I love the looks, had one as a loaner but sadly the drive is dull for such a car. No drama whatsoever, which can be a good thing for some? I hoped it had some M2 flavour, but was more 7 series…

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

I test drove one a while back as a potential gift for my wife - not sure if it was a tyre pressure issue but it tramlined far worse than the X3 I have (which is awful on UK A roads) - to the point of such annoyance I couldn't get beyond it despite it being stupendously cheap.

--

991.2 C2S Cab, X3 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

Welcome to the Z4 club RC! We still have our white one, but in 3.0 trim.

You must have forgotten the flaking I got last time around 

--

Very nice! Vastly better looking than its sibling, the Toyota Supra.

Whoopsy:

Welcome to the Z4 club RC! We still have our white one, but in 3.0 trim.

You must have forgotten the flaking I got last time around 

Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

spudgun:

I love the looks, had one as a loaner but sadly the drive is dull for such a car. No drama whatsoever, which can be a good thing for some? I hoped it had some M2 flavour, but was more 7 series…

The Z4 M40i changes it's character once you switch to Sport Plus mode. It is no real M car of course but feels pretty close to one. There is only a little bit more body roll in fast changing lanes but the grip is amazing, probably the reason why the Z4 M40i is very close to most it's competitors on the track. Not that I plan to track it. Smiley

It is not as precise as the Boxster but better than a M340i for example. It is important you switch to Sport Plus though.

Also nice: You can easily disable the flap control of the exhaust system and it isn't too loud, it has just the right 6-cyl. sound. Smiley

--

That seems like a good value for money at half the rate of a GTS 4.0

Solid choice and congrats.  Wives and convertibles, I bought my wife a 718 Spyder, amazing car!   And in my family it’s definitely a woman’s car 😂 

Last year when we settled on the Z4. We did had a look at a Boxster. But the price difference is very noticeable, and also interior wise as we had wanted something different. Z4 looks so much more attractive than any Mercedes convertibles also.

Even our 3.0 with the 4 banger actually drives quite nicely around town. perfectly fine for city usage like a EV.

--

Congrats! You always get the best deals. What is the term of this lease? Btw when you return back the leased car what is your average bill for end of lease charges?

wantone:

Congrats! You always get the best deals. What is the term of this lease? Btw when you return back the leased car what is your average bill for end of lease charges?

Unless my wife Smiley drives one of my leased cars, I never paid something at the end of the lease. I return my cars in an impeccable state. Terms of the leases here in Germany are usually always the same: Mileage, return after a pre-defined period of time. If you have less miles than established, you get some money back. If you have more, you have to pay a certain amount per km.

I don't always get the best deals, I try to find them Smiley but right now, in Germany, it is basically impossible to get good lease deals. Everyone wants cars and the chip shortage isn't helping either (or it is a very good excuse for the car industry to keep prices up Smiley, I don't have a clue).

The Z4 really seems to be a car nobody wants here, otherwise I have no explanation. The dealer has several cars in stock. Smiley

Also, my lease deal is business related, dealers always have incentives from the factory for business customers.

Example: AMG. When I leased both AMGs, I got a combo deal, very very attractive. Lease factor was basically 0.73, which is amazing for such cars. Now you can only dream of such lease factors, they usually go from 1.3 to 1.6.

The only amazing deal I found was that brand-new Audi R8 RWS Spyder for 1400 EUR (incl. 19% VAT!!!). This is a steal but apparently nobody wants a V10 engine right now. Smiley Smiley

--

More photos of my (exactly this one) car.

07-12-_2021_11-32-17.jpg
    07-12-_2021_11-32-50.jpg
    07-12-_2021_11-33-21.jpg
    07-12-_2021_11-34-02.jpg

--

Oh, forgot to tell you guys: Lease rate dropped from 750 to 599 EUR.  

The lease rate was wrongly calculated based on the MSRP, not discounted price. 

I was lucky, they had some sort of a business lease bonus from BMW and it expired shortly after I made the deal but due to the wrong MSRP, they were able to get approval again. I really like honest dealers. devil 

Another thing: BMW warranty is usually 24 months in Germany but the dealer offers 24 + 12 months. So the whole lease period is covered. Smiley It is also possible to adjust the lease length. I can add another 6, 12 or 24 months to the lease period if I like the car and even get money back(!) if I do that.

--

A new Z4 (or FL)  must be around the corner then, with these offers...anyway, that's a lot of car (and engine) for 599€ 👌🏼

--

RC:

Oh, forgot to tell you guys: Lease rate dropped from 750 to 599 EUR.  

The lease rate was wrongly calculated based on the MSRP, not discounted price. 

I was lucky, they had some sort of a business lease bonus from BMW and it expired shortly after I made the deal but due to the wrong MSRP, they were able to get approval again. I really like honest dealers. devil 

Another thing: BMW warranty is usually 24 months in Germany but the dealer offers 24 + 12 months. So the whole lease period is covered. Smiley It is also possible to adjust the lease length. I can add another 6, 12 or 24 months to the lease period if I like the car and even get money back(!) if I do that.

--

Indeed amazing deal. Can I get the same deal on a private not business lease if I was in Germany?

spudgun:

A new Z4 (or FL)  must be around the corner then, with these offers...anyway, that's a lot of car (and engine) for 599€ 👌🏼

--

BMW just might want to move product given that type of vehicle is less-than-popular today and it is the start of winter which is notoriously poor for roadster sales.  

RC, how does the lease in Germany works? You simply get the car for 600 euro p month with the requirements not to exceed the certain mileage?

--

sportcars-history.com

Yes, and even if you exceed, you just pay the extra mileage. Otherwise: just give the car back in xxx months.

--

And you have to pay for possible damage when you return the car. I remember the discussion with my Porsche dealer about 150€ because the leather sports seats no longer looked like new after 3 years and 60.000km. One of the reasons why I no longer drive a Porsche

Thanks guys:) 

Nice car, congrats Christian! Great deal. Even by Russian measures it is affordable!

--

sportcars-history.com

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689667 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409309 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255789 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235012 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65536 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858067 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774118 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM