Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: GT4RS

I don't know, from my experience 911 people will stay in their territory and I am not sure whether others will want a hardcore Cayman, still a car some think of as a "couldn't afford a proper 911"...I assume that - because the GT4 RS is such a special package with the GT3 stuff etc. - most cars will end up as garage queens and perhaps serve as vintage collecting items of ICE cars of an bygone era in the future (longterm investment...) ... Smiley

Thanks, Whoopsy

--

2016 Porsche 991 Carrera GTS  Black with AeroKit Cup Package,  2020 Porsche Cayenne Coupe Quartzite Grey Metallic, New York

Whoopsy:
    bluelines:
    Whoopsy:

...that puts the world wide number at 6600-7000 cars for two years.

Less rare than the 981 GT4 then Smiley

No one said they are limiting the production ever Smiley

Smiley

bluelines:
    Whoopsy:
    bluelines:
    Whoopsy:

...that puts the world wide number at 6600-7000 cars for two years.

Less rare than the 981 GT4 then Smiley

No one said they are limiting the production ever Smiley

Smiley

Bluelines, changed your avatar, GT4 sold or taycan delivered ?

Yes Bluelines, we need photos, impressions, and most, justifications  

d997h:

I don't know, from my experience 911 people will stay in their territory and I am not sure whether others will want a hardcore Cayman, still a car some think of as a "couldn't afford a proper 911"...I assume that - because the GT4 RS is such a special package with the GT3 stuff etc. - most cars will end up as garage queens and perhaps serve as vintage collecting items of ICE cars of an bygone era in the future (longterm investment...) ... Smiley

Due to circonstances I am left without a GT car. Always was a 911 guy, love the dynamics of the rear engine and like the  design suits me well. 

Now I don't want to be without a GT car. 

What choice to I have :

Buy a used 991 GT3 RS ? Could work out well, but after 2 991 GT3 RS I am happy to have a change.

Buy a 992 GT3 ? I really can't get used to it's looks and I don't feel I would gain anything in driving dynamics and pleasure compared to my former 991 GT3 RS

Buy a GT4 RS ?  That is a fresh change for me. Something different and thrilling.  I would not gotten it if it had the carrera engine, but with the GT3 engine it makes it a completely different car to me, worth a try. 

Plan is to keep it only untill 992 GT3 RS of course Smiley unless I fall completely in love with the mid engine setup . 

But I can't see someone selling his recent GT3 RS to get the GT4 RS . Will be interesting to see who buys them.

Allocation for 2022 in Switzerland have all been sold in 24 hours. 

Congrats Eric! I think that is a great move wink

I don't know of there will be a 992.2 GT3 but if such car will happen it will be one of the the last N/A engine high performance and a car to keep forever in view of the insistence by governments on electrification. Moreover, the facelifted looks will be refined over the current model as always with Porsche.

The 992 RS judging from the spy photos will be an one dimensional car and too expensive especially when its limited use is taken into account.

I don't think that the GT4RS will be a practical car outside the scope of trackdays. The hard RS suspension right behind the driver and the noise from a tuned engine inside the occupants' chamber will preclude traveling and casual use. Even a normal Cayman can become uncomfortably noisy and hard. Andreas Preuninger might enthuse in the promotional video about the intake next to the driver's ear, but this is a pleasure for a few minutes and a pain when driving much longer.

911s even the more hardcore models are comfortable for their category because of the interior cabin space, the location of the suspension and the remote engine.

Even in professional motorsport the driver who drives a comfortable race car always has the advantage.

But until the new GT 911s come, the GT4RS might be a stop-gap solution.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Gnil:

Buy a GT4 RS ?  That is a fresh change for me. Something different and thrilling.  I would not gotten it if it had the carrera engine, but with the GT3 engine it makes it a completely different car to me, worth a try. 

Plan is to keep it only untill 992 GT3 RS of course Smiley unless I fall completely in love with the mid engine setup .

Exactly my plan but the difference is my 991.2 manual stays for now, it is so enjoyable.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Carlos from Spain:

Congrats Eric! I think that is a great move wink

Thanks Carlos, I did not have much other choices and the launch of the GT4 RS  just happened to be at the right time for me 

the-missile:

Exactly my plan but the difference is my 991.2 manual stays for now, it is so enjoyable.

With the specs it has, It will be a keeper for ever Smiley

reginos:

I don't know of there will be a 992.2 GT3 but if such car will happen it will be one of the the last N/A engine high performance and a car to keep forever in view of the insistence by governments on electrification. Moreover, the facelifted looks will be refined over the current model as always with Porsche.

The 992 RS judging from the spy photos will be an one dimensional car and too expensive especially when its limited use is taken into account.

I don't think that the GT4RS will be a practical car outside the scope of trackdays. The hard RS suspension right behind the driver and the noise from a tuned engine inside the occupants' chamber will preclude traveling and casual use. Even a normal Cayman can become uncomfortably noisy and hard. Andreas Preuninger might enthuse in the promotional video about the intake next to the driver's ear, but this is a pleasure for a few minutes and a pain when driving much longer.

911s even the more hardcore models are comfortable for their category because of the interior cabin space, the location of the suspension and the remote engine.

Even in professional motorsport the driver who drives a comfortable race car always has the advantage.

--

With the 991.2 GT3 RS I got used to wear ear plugs on longer highway journeys Smiley

reginos:

--

Well, l would not agree, however, it is louder than the noise was in my 997 previously…

My 981 GT4 was noisy inside. The rear compartment makes an amplifier for the shock mounts and the engine vibrations. It was tiring on long journeys between the track and one of the few complaints of the car along with the tall gearing, and the rear suspension (on the limit momentarily unloaded). The GT3s I had before and after it I cannot say the same thing...

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2021 992 GT3, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, 2017 Macan S (Petrol)

I expect Weissach Team to have fix the tall gearing as advertised in many support and also worked on the suspension to make it a proper RS product. the cabin is going to be loud and this is how a flat 6 should be; symphony.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

macca993:

My 981 GT4 was noisy inside. The rear compartment makes an amplifier for the shock mounts and the engine vibrations. It was tiring on long journeys between the track and one of the few complaints of the car along with the tall gearing, and the rear suspension (on the limit momentarily unloaded). The GT3s I had before and after it I cannot say the same thing...

I wonder why Porsche never thought of installing a vertical rear window behind the seats to separate the cabin from the engine compartment, similar to most other mid-engined cars. This glass could be sliding electrically to allow more or less noise according to what would fit each situation.

I Know that such things add to the manufacturing cost and subsequently to the price, but it would have been worth it.

--

reginos:
    macca993:

I wonder why Porsche never thought of installing a vertical rear window behind the seats to separate the cabin from the engine compartment, similar to most other mid-engined cars. This glass could be sliding electrically to allow more or less noise according to what would fit each situation.

I Know that such things add to the manufacturing cost and subsequently to the price, but it would have been worth it.

Remember that you can't start to be more attractive than the 911 otherwise you are going to face trouble...putting a glass at that area would make the Cayman looking like a mini Carrera GT and this is not possible.

Look at all the presentation, they are trying so hard to discredit it against the 911 GT3...the 911 needs to remain the flagship, at least from the marketing side.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Talking marketing : It is a first time that Porsche presents a GT RS with the WP as the official launch visuals and cars. Until now, RS were always presented in their '' standard'' forms. 

Wonder what' s the strategy behind it ?  Making from now on WP the default choice ?  Just pushing WP ? 

the-missile:
    reginos:
    macca993:

Remember that you can't start to be more attractive than the 911 otherwise you are going to face trouble...putting a glass at that area would make the Cayman looking like a mini Carrera GT and this is not possible.

Look at all the presentation, they are trying so hard to discredit it against the 911 GT3...the 911 needs to remain the flagship, at least from the marketing side.

Possibly true Smiley

--

Gnil:

Wonder what' s the strategy behind it ?  Making from now on WP the default choice ?  Just pushing WP ? 

Can't help but increase margins on each car. 

Gnil:

Yes Bluelines, we need photos, impressions, and most, justifications  

All in due time indecision 

Whoopsy:

I should be doing European delivery. Wanted to schedule it around another Porsche Circle driving event. But if I do indeed go for PTS then all bets are off when the production will be 😂

Right now I am being pressured by my peers to have me drop the sofa seats and go back to buckets like last time out with the GT2RS. On the fence atm, maybe I will change it back to buckets and take sofas with the RS Spyder.

Question for Whoopsy:
    Are you sure there will be an Boxster RS Spyder at all? Smiley

I'm asking because I heard differently and that Porsche won't build an open top based on the GT4RS.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Barring any late changes, the Spyder RS will debate in 2023. It was posted here and somewhere else some time ago on a leaked Porsche product road map.

It may not be an exact clone of the Cayman GT4RS, but should be close enough. 

--

Thanks for clarification, I guess we have to wait and see.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

When can we expect reviews from journalists?

--

2018 White 911 GT3

3987E6D6-B93B-4A2F-A904-E7C72011FF31.jpeg
    61220A5B-69AA-4E0C-BC97-B2CD57F2BCF0.jpeg
    A5D3BE0C-1AEF-42DA-846D-A114D834E9BB.jpeg

I have to admit, that next to the 992's sleek (albeit bloated) design it looks a bit dated. 

--

2018 White 911 GT3

F872D606-FCFC-439B-90E6-F59C4A57A019.jpeg
    3D99A9BD-4034-4160-964D-9FC8ADD0CF37.jpeg

--

2018 White 911 GT3

It looks great in white but I would prefer a bright colour like shark blue for this type of car. I am contemplating getting either one of these or a 992 GT3 - I am starting to sway towards the GT4 RS because of the subjectively better looking front end, the fact that the 992 GT3 seems to be hard work on normal roads because of the new track focused front suspension and the fact that this is a fair bit cheaper for the same engine and performance.

I have an allocation for 2022 but can't make up my mind if I prefer a light weight spec (Titanium cage, PCCB, no lift, no PCM/parking sensors, standard lights): http://www.porsche-code.com/PNM74M23 (I could add BBS FI-R mag wheels later),  

or a more conservative spec (steel brakes/cage, lift, PCM, PDLS lights etc.), maybe in black with blue accents, like http://www.porsche-code.com/PNLZT5L8

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661070 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    400900 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254555 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    228969 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59315 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4372 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853282 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761335 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM