Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2006 to start in june

I have now had 2 confirmations from by dealer that my june build car will be a 2006. a departure for porsche.

Re: 2006 to start in june

I have to tell you that this does tick me off considering that the Cab came out officially in March as an '05 and June is now the '06? Give me a break. I will still love my 05 Cab just as much, but if I would have known this, I would have waited for the model year to change. I guess the positive is that prices may increase as well, but still chaps my a**

uh..as I understand it , no price increase. mine is a coupe..not sure what the story is on cabs

I have Sept. slot for a 997S coupe. The latest word I heard from my dealer is that they expect a 4% price increase. I guess we'll know when the '06 order guide is out.

My 2006 997s Cab is supposedly scheduled to be built in July with Sept delivery. No word on price.

what will the main differences be between the two model years?

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    what will the main differences be between the two model years?

Price increase is likely. Maybe some new options to choose from but nothing big. TPM (Tire pressure monitoring) is expected to arrive.

Quote:
    woody77 said:
    I have to tell you that this does tick me off considering that the Cab came out officially in March as an '05 and June is now the '06? Give me a break. I will still love my 05 Cab just as much, but if I would have known this, I would have waited for the model year to change. I guess the positive is that prices may increase as well, but still chaps my a**

I guess it doesn't matter much living in Florida but for me living in NY I wouldn't have waited for a June build. I would have bought a used convertible. June build could mean end of August even September delivery. Almsost the End of convertible weather in New York. The summer months are too precious.
    My gut tells me the price will be the same but if there's a price increase I will consider myself very lucky to get an 05. Even for 1% or $1000 increase.
    I only plan on holding the S cab till the Turbo cab. comes out so the year doesn't really matter to me.
    The weather here in NY is just starting to get nice. There isn't leaves on the trees yet but within a few weeks that will change.

Did you take delivery of your cab yet ? If it really makes that much of a difference to you tell the dealer to hold it back for 06.

btw: I heard from a dealer this week that MY 2006 will start with July builds. Good to hear another opinion. Guess we'll see what happens.

My cab has the same estimated date of completion as yours Stradale and I am definately going to keep my 05 order for just the reasons you mentioned. My main reason of my frustration is I think Porsche should have intro'd the car as an '06, but in about the middle of May, I won't care one bit as I enjoy the FL sun and maybe some NC cool breezes. My est. date of completion is now 4/14. Did yours get moved up as well?

Hve to say, I think this is all smoke being thrown up by the dealer.

The Porsche MY06 doesn't start till Sept, with the MY 06 spec being released about July or August. First MY06 cars to be delivered in October.

It makes NO sense for Porsche to release the 06 MY in June etc.

JZ

I find it hard to believe that they would start making MY 2006 cars in June. If they were going to be making 2006's in June I would think the dealers would need to have a 2006 order guide by now. What cars are they making in June if nobody has been able to order 2006 models? We don't know what options are available for the 2006 model yet.

Phil

I don't think it is that unreasonable for dealers to represent that MY06 cars will be BUILT in June. An end-June build, would mean that an end-August delivery. While this may be an little agressive, I know Porsche rolls the model-year clock in early-September. So not too far from the truth.

Aren't MY06 cars due to be built after the factory re-opens in September (it is shut in august) - hence the name MY06 for cars built in the year ending in 2006?

Quote:
    woody77 said:
    My cab has the same estimated date of completion as yours Stradale and I am definately going to keep my 05 order for just the reasons you mentioned. My main reason of my frustration is I think Porsche should have intro'd the car as an '06, but in about the middle of May, I won't care one bit as I enjoy the FL sun and maybe some NC cool breezes. My est. date of completion is now 4/14. Did yours get moved up as well?

That's great news about your production date. I'll have to phone my dealer and check.

btw: How many times do you guys call your dealer for an update ?Or do they call you ?

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    I find it hard to believe that they would start making MY 2006 cars in June. If they were going to be making 2006's in June I would think the dealers would need to have a 2006 order guide by now. What cars are they making in June if nobody has been able to order 2006 models? We don't know what options are available for the 2006 model yet.

Phil

One of the dealers I spoke with about this said simply MY2005 orders would become MY2006 orders. If someone had a July 2005 car it would be a 2006 car instead.

Really doesn't make sense to me. I would think MY 2006 would start after their August vacation but like someone said for July builds it could be September before those cars are delivered.

Porsche has traditionally changed the model year after the factory shut down in August. Any changes required for the new models could be made at the factory during the August holiday. What is going to happen in June, will they simply make 2005's one day and return the next to start making 2006's. I am not saying this is not possible, but it seems illogical. The one thing we know about many Porsche salesmen is that half the time they do not know what they are talking about. How many times has someone here related something their salesman said that is later proved to be totally wrong?

It could be true, but I would want to hear it from someone other than a couple of Porsche sales people. RC, what do you know about this????

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Porsche has traditionally changed the model year after the factory shut down in August. Any changes required for the new models could be made at the factory during the August holiday. What is going to happen in June, will they simply make 2005's one day and return the next to start making 2006's. I am not saying this is not possible, but it seems illogical. The one thing we know about many Porsche salesmen is that half the time they do not know what they are talking about. How many times has someone here related something their salesman said that is later proved to be totally wrong?

It could be true, but I would want to hear it from someone other than a couple of Porsche sales people. RC, what do you know about this????

Phil

Aint that the 100% truth.

My order is in the system with the Performa invoice status as MFGCNF, this was on Mar 25th. It's listed as a 2006 Carrera S Cab. 997. My dealer is #3 in the US and they are telling me it will likely be made in July before they close in Aug. The dealer says the only downside to this situation is that MY06 will be released probably after the car is built so if there are new options or colors avail, I won't be able to get them since the car will be too far along in production or maybe even built. Obviously any standard changes will be on the car. He said another possibility is Porsche holding the car in port if they don't want the car released before they annouce the 06 cars, so the wait could go into Oct. He also said, this is normal and they go through this on every model year and not unusual.

I too am interested in know if all of the above is accurate as I don't want any unexpected delays of issues. Hopefully others with new orders can chime in?

Sounds a bit suspect to me!

My understanding is that the shutdown gives them chance to make any changes that need making. Install any additional equipment, plan things and ready the entire production process for these changes. And of course ensure that everyone knows what these changes will be. (if there are any other than paint). And train staff accordingly.

What sense would it make them doing it mid production. Does this not sound like normal 'Excited salesman sales pitch' to you?

...Add

Quote:
    TerryR said:
    My order is in the system with the Performa invoice status as MFGCNF, this was on Mar 25th. It's listed as a 2006 Carrera S Cab. 997. My dealer is #3 in the US and they are telling me it will likely be made in July before they close in Aug. The dealer says the only downside to this situation is that MY06 will be released probably after the car is built so if there are new options or colors avail, I won't be able to get them since the car will be too far along in production or maybe even built. Obviously any standard changes will be on the car. He said another possibility is Porsche holding the car in port if they don't want the car released before they annouce the 06 cars, so the wait could go into Oct. He also said, this is normal and they go through this on every model year and not unusual.

I too am interested in know if all of the above is accurate as I don't want any unexpected delays of issues. Hopefully others with new orders can chime in?

I assume your dealer is Newport Beach Porsche (Newport Auto Center). I was told in March that they had already "sold" all their 2005 allocation (for S models) and any future orders would have to be 2006 models.

I don't understand that they say your car is "likely to be made in July". They should know their allocation for the next few months and tell you for sure when your car is going to be made. Do you think they are hedging because your car has been sold as a 2006 and they are not sure when production of the 2006 model will begin? When I ordered my car in December I was told at that time that my car would be in their March allocation and would be made at that time. And sure enough, it was made in March and is on the way here. By the way, even when they give you and ORDEST or PRDEST (estimated completion date) it can be off by a couple of weeks either way. Then a week or two to get on the vesssel, 20 days from Germany to San Diego and about a week to get to the dealer.

I was the first to put a deposit for a cab at Newport and hope to be the first to receive a non-launch car.

Phil

I'm fairly confident the dealer is stating the truth. There's just a few variables that I've mentioned that I'm trying to get more details on.

Phil, yes, it's Newport auto. I've gotten one of their allocation slots as well so it's good bet I'll be driving my car in fall.

Remember that Porsche introduced the Cayenne Turbo as a '03 model in March '03 and started delivering '04s in April! I wouldn't put an early model release past Porsche for the 997 as well.

Quote:
    ESK said:
    Remember that Porsche introduced the Cayenne Turbo as a '03 model in March '03 and started delivering '04s in April! I wouldn't put an early model release past Porsche for the 997 as well.

Yes, they have done it for NEW models. I am surprised that the 997 cabs were not introduced as 2006 models since they offically didn't arrive until April. I just think it is odd to come out with an early model year changeover on existing models.

Mercedes just recently introduced a new M class as a 2006. They also made the existing S class a 2006 model with $5000 in extras (for free) in an effort to keep them moving since most everyone is aware that a new S will be out later this year/early next year as a 2007 model. Porsche has no such issues. What is the motivation for an earlier than usual model year changeover? The only thing they will accomplish is to upset the folks with cabs that will only be "new" for a couple of months.

Phil

I just got off the phone with my Porsche salesman. I wanted to get confirmation or denial that the model year changeover will be earlier this year. He hadn't heard anything about it being early this year. He went to the office and got their allocation sheet and it shows 2005's allocated for April, May, June and July production. Their first 2006 allocation shows in August. So, from that he concluded that their first 2006's won't be built until August.

Those that have heard otherwise, ask your salesman for their monthly allocation and the model year it shows for each month.

Anything is possible, but until I hear it from higher authority I expect that August is the earliest they will be making 2006's.

Phil

Quote:
    TerryR said:

Sounds about right. It's the same as I heard. You're in a sweet spot. Will probably get one of the first MY2006 cars only a couple of months after the first MY2005 cars are delivered.

Quote:
    Stradale said:

Sounds about right. It's the same as I heard. You're in a sweet spot. Will probably get one of the first MY2006 cars only a couple of months after the first MY2005 cars are delivered.

Unless Porsche changes their traditional schedule this year (and nothing I have seen has convinced me of this) I think the first 2006's won't show up until September at the earliest. So the folks that are receiving their 2005 cabs now should have 5 months before their cars are the "old" model.

I still think with the first 997 cabs not arriving until April, they all should have been 2006's.

Phil

There was another thread on this topic a couple weeks ago. I recalled one or two other persons and I were told (independently of each other) by 3-4 different dealers (all in California) that July 2005 is the first month of MY 2006.
    I hope we were told the correct thing as I actually have placed a deposit and have a (formal) contract with MY 2006 indicated. I guess we'll find out soon enough. FWIW, I emailed my dealer and this is what I was told:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    To confirm, yes your order is placed with the factory and WILL be built sometime in july. The porsche salesman you heard about could be right that his dealership did not recieve any 2006 allocations in july, however all dealers have different allocations and some dealers could have possibly not recieved any.We however recieved 5 of which you got 1. so any other questions please dont hesitate to call or email. Look forward to talking with you soon.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Does anyone have official (written) confirmation otherwise?
    Thanks!

The only thing I wonder about is.....how could one (very large) Southern California dealership have 2005's being made in July and another dealership have 2006's made in the same month? Someone is wrong. They shouldn't be making both model years in the same month. My dealer's first 2006 models show August as their estimated date of completion.

Have you receive confirmation that your car will in fact be manufactured in July (and will be a 2006 model)? When you receive PLPROD or ORDEST with a July date and a Pro Forma invoice showing a 2006 model you will convince me. What is the current status of your car? Is it still ORDCLA or MFGCNF?

The August plant shut-down is something Porsche has done traditionally. They return after the shut-down to begin making the next model year. Why would this year be different?

Phil

Phil, I believe we may have purchased from the same dealer. Even between the two of us, we are hearing different scenarios. I trust what my salesman is saying to me, he's straight forward and freely admits when he doesn't know the answer to questions I may ask.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    There was another thread on this topic a couple weeks ago. I recalled one or two other persons and I were told (independently of each other) by 3-4 different dealers (all in California) that July 2005 is the first month of MY 2006.
    I hope we were told the correct thing as I actually have placed a deposit and have a (formal) contract with MY 2006 indicated. I guess we'll find out soon enough. FWIW, I emailed my dealer and this is what I was told:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    To confirm, yes your order is placed with the factory and WILL be built sometime in july. The porsche salesman you heard about could be right that his dealership did not recieve any 2006 allocations in july, however all dealers have different allocations and some dealers could have possibly not recieved any.We however recieved 5 of which you got 1. so any other questions please dont hesitate to call or email. Look forward to talking with you soon.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Does anyone have official (written) confirmation otherwise?
    Thanks!

Here is what Fanch reported today in a thread entitled "Oh Leather, Where Are Thou??? after talking with his salesman about his upcoming car:

"So he told me, I can get your car for July but without all leather interior and it'll be an 05 model.
    No thanks.
    06 models production start 1st of August, factory closes between 15 and 31 of August. So with my stupid Slate grey colour, that means I don't get the car before mid sept. earliest (two months delay for special colours)."

Also in the same thread JL13 had the following to say:

" talked to my dealer recently and he had the said the same thing. I know that the factory of Porsche will be close in August, and the Production of 06s will starts at August first. I got that from Champion Motors."

Phil

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765391 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437277 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261429 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258214 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82763 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877534 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809804 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM