Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayenne Turbo Powerkit Review - Finally

Back in 2004, Porsche promised me to get one of the first Powerkit equipped Turbos for a testdrive. Unfortunately we had a few disagreements along our "negotiations" regarding the throttle/shifting hesitation issues and apparently somebody in Weissach got mad on me and "forgot" the testdrive. Well, maybe they forgot it by "purpose" because the throttle hesitation isn't gone at all.

Today, we finally had the chance to drive a Cayenne Turbo with 500 HP powerkit and our expectations were high but not as high as before because I really had my issues with Porsche and the guys who were responsible for Cayenne development.

To make a long story short, here we go with the short review.

First at all, I don't like the Cayenne body kit too much. It makes the Cayenne look more sporty but it looks as aftermarket as it can be. In my opinion not a very stylish look but to each his own I guess. Especially that "thing" under the exhaust looks horrible and I can't say I'm a friend of painted air inlets.
    Second, this powerkit equipped Cayenne Turbo still had 19'' winter wheels mounted, so I wasn't able to go over 240 kph during my testdrive. Also handling performance was a bit affected due to the winter tires but more later in this review.

After I entered the Cayenne Turbo Powerkit, I was looking for some clues in the interior that this is the most powerful Cayenne available right now from the factory. But there is no clue, the car looks completely stock from the inside. This is a bit of a disappointment because a little "hint" would have been nice. From the outside however, the bigger front brakes are a first grade eye-catcher, despite the "pimp-my-ride" look of the whole thing with the bodykit (which is not a standard option for powerkit equipped cars).

Turning on the engine didn't unveil anything about the powerkit either, the sound is similar to the Cayenne Turbo sound, only at higher rev figures, there is somehow a difference probably caused by the stronger air "sucking" noise.

After the car started moving, I had the surprise of my life. The powerkit equipped Cayenne Turbo felt almost like a 911 with a very direct steering, much better than on the Cayenne Turbo without powerkit. The first turn, even at a slow speed, unveiled a very direct and sporty steering feel which is really similar to a sports car. The standard Cayenne Turbo has a similar steering feel too but it gets a bit numb after a certain degree of turning the steering wheel. Another surprise came along when I took the first narrow curve at a higher speed, resulting in a very neutral (no signs of under- or oversteer but the tires were squeaking horribly) driving behaviour. I was impressed.
    Side-roll is comparable to the standard Cayenne Turbo when driving very hard but in changing curves (fast right-left-right combos for example), the Powerkit car feels more stable and doesn't feel like a truck at all, offering a very direct and easily controllable steering feel.
    And all that with winter tires, I'm pretty sure that with summer tires, this car would blow away the standard Cayenne Turbo like nothing, even in the hands of a less experienced driver.

The bigger brake is also worth it's money, it provides the same brake feel like on the standard Cayenne Turbo but with a much bigger reserve at higher speeds. I did some sort of emergency braking from 240 kph to around 120 kph and the brake didn't feel different at all, no signs of fatigue or any problems at all. Rock solid. Doing the same procedure with the standard Cayenne Turbo results in a very nasty brake "rubbing" and the steering wheel shakes and rattles, making it very difficult even for an experienced driver to keep the truck on track. Porsche says that the standard brake has been tested and it is sufficient for the Cayenne Turbo but I can assure you that after testdriving the powerkit brake, there is no substitute and Porsche would do themselves and their customers a big favour if they'd install the bigger brake as a standard option. Not to speak about the driving safety gain which could be obtained by doing that.

Now let's get to the most interesting part, the engine.
    First thing: yes, the power gain can be felt, especially at higher rev figures. Yes, there is definetely more torque and the maximum displayed boost pressure is now at 0.8 bar instead of the 0.6-0.65 bar displayed on the standard Turbo.
    The wastegate(?) hissing is also a bit louder, providing a very nice sound but there is no sound increase from the exhaust, both Cayenne Turbo sound almost the same, especially at lower rev figures.
    The acceleration at higher speeds is impressive, I made a little video to show you this and I'll post it later on.
    The shifting has been improved substantially, the powerkit Cayenne Turbo stays much longer in the same gear, it downshifts much faster and to a much lower gear compared to the standard Cayenne Turbo and the kickdown function is much more aggressive, it comes in like a very strong kick, resulting in a very fast acceleration and at the same time a downshift of three or even four gears. Most of the time I was driving in the second gear at speeds below 90 kph, very nice. And without manual intervention. Very sporty shifting behaviour, I wish I had it on my Cayenne Turbo.
    BUT: the long time discussed THROTTLE HESITATION is still there and although the shifting seems to work very fast and with a much better setup, it still can't make the throttle lag disappear completely. It feels better compared to the standard Cayenne Turbo ONLY because the gears are usually chosen a gear or so lower and this provides of course more rev, resulting in a better acceleration and faster overcome of the throttle lag. This is very sad because without the throttle lag/hesitation, the Cayenne Turbo Powerkit would have a PERFECT setup for such a truck.
    And VERY disappointing is the fact that from standstill, the throttle hesitation is as bad as on the standard Cayenne Turbo, maybe even worse. This setup may be some sort of protection for the gearbox/drivetrain but it is very very annoying. I also tried this with PSM turned off, it shows the same behaviour like on my standard Cayenne Turbo and even if it starts from 1st gear, there is no change in throttle hesitation from standstill.

Personal conclusion: in my opinion, the Cayenne Turbo 500 HP Powerkit is really worth the money, even if something below 10000 Euro would have been more appropriate because the engine upgrade itself consists of a modified software and "bigger" intercoolers only. Almost all parts could be obtained separetely from through the parts department, only the engine software, the gearbox control unit and suspension control unit may pose acquiring problems.

I urge Porsche to review the standard Cayenne Turbo brake and install the powerkit brake on ALL Cayenne Turbo instead. Or at least they should offer a retrofit kit through Tequipment because this brake is really THE brake I would have wished to have on a REAL Porsche from the start.
    I still don't understand why the throttle hesitation hasn't improved, apparently there is an unknown factor Porsche doesn't want to unveil. Considering Porsche's "aggressive" and very unfriendly approach towards me lately regarding the throttle hesitation issue, I'd say that there is a lot of money or something regarding safety at stake, I can't find a better explenation. That said, I can highly recommend the Turbo Powerkit but owners still have to live with that very annoying and sometimes DANGEROUS throttle lag. People who prefer ride/shifting comfort, should keep their hands off the Powerkit. The shifting is much more aggressive and most of the time, a very low gear is enganged to provide enough acceleration. Some people may not like this setup, be warned!

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Very powerful
    • Aggressive and fast reacting kickdown
    • Very direct steering feel, sportscar-like
    • Improved shifting behaviour, downshifts faster and more gears, "keeps" gear longer, doesn't upshift too fast
    • Very neutral handling even in fast turns, very stable
    • Fuel consumption still the same (as high as always )

Cons
    • Cost (too much money for a new software, two new intercoolers, two control units and a bit of suspension and brake hardware)
    • Throttle hesitation as bad as always, no real improvement (feels better though due to the new shifting setup and lower gears at the same speed)

If Porsche is capable of getting rid of that throttle hesitation/lag, the powerkit Cayenne Turbo would be PERFECT.
    I also would like to mention that the tested car had the "thicker steering wheel" option and I can highly recommend it. It definetely provides a better grip and better steering feel. Enjoy the pictures and if you have questions ,don't hesitate to ask.

Re: Cayenne Turbo Powerkit Review - Finally

Intercoolers (powerkit-standard). Same size but with more "cooling surface".

Impressive front brake.

The whole car. The body kit is a matter of taste.

Compared to my Cayenne Turbo from the rear.

Nice interior "gimmick".

Another look at the whole car.

Great review RC! Thanks!

Quote:
    RC said:
    I still don't understand why the throttle hesitation hasn't improved, apparently there is an unknown factor Porsche doesn't want to unveil. Considering Porsche's "aggressive" and very unfriendly approach towards me lately regarding the throttle hesitation issue, I'd say that there is a lot of money or something regarding safety at stake, I can't find a better explenation.

It does remain a mystery.

It seems like it should not be that hard to fix, but what do I know?

Very cool review thanks RC .

Excellent review!

They should give all Cayennes such steering response.

The persistent throttle lag issue is bizarre. They aren't claiming it is a design feature for off road use/safety and it certainly doesnt make any sense for on road,unless they were paraonoid about having driveline lash, so the problem and lack of cure speak to the software integration
    of the throttle, sensors and transmission.

If Land Rover can get it right with a ZF 6spd automatic and offer driver selectable throttle response modes, why can't
    Porsche get it right ????

Maybe the current Aisan sourced gearbox isnt capable of being made to work right at all.

The other vehicles its used in, Audi and VW also shift sloppy and have degrees of throttle lag not expected for this century.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The other vehicles its used in, Audi and VW also shift sloppy and have degrees of throttle lag not expected for this century.

That may be getting closer to the real issue. Volkswagen! They were in charge of transmission development on the Cayenne/Touareg platform and all the software and transmission control units come from them.

Thnaks Christian!!

great report!

Indeed, the steering response is something I LOVED on the powerkit Turbo. I really don't get it: Porsche sells the Cayenne Turbo as their top model, right? I understand that they charge additional money for the powerkit (although they could offer it free of charge if they'd install it on ALL Cayenne Turbo as a courtesy to their customers...dream on RC... ) but why not offering the brake/suspension mods for free on the standard Cayenne Turbo? It is not a matter of money in my opinion but of credibility. If Porsche builds a Cayenne Turbo which is too much real SUV-like (although still better than other competitors), they loose credibility in my opinion. They already lost my trust regarding the brake and especially throttle response, do they really want to loose even more trust from Cayenne Turbo customers? Porsche has to get their priorities figured out because right now, the standard Cayenne Turbo is a great SUV but not even close to what Porsche would be capable of. After driving the powerkit Turbo, this is a fact, not just a suspicion.
    Maybe a petition from current Cayenne Turbo owners would help but unity among owners is almost impossible.

Is it true that with the 500HP powerkit, when you slam on the throttle you can actually percieve the fuel gauge needle go down with your own eyes?

Seriously, great review! seems like its not only just a powerkit, you get also a brake kit and suspension kit along with it

Thanks, RC, for the much awaited expert review.

Agree with you about the sport-kit exterior. To each his own, indeed.

Very disappointing about the hesitation. I guess my limited test drive was dominated by the better down-shifts, so I didn't notice the hesitation as much. I suppose I can look forward to joining the chorus of complaints and, when the time comes, will line up to sign your petition. Their response to you is even more disappointing. Do you think it's even possible that they might address this with the '07 changes, or do you think they will continue to deny an issue exists and forge ahead, as is?

Am delighted to hear your assessment of the steering/suspension, since I didn't get a chance to stress those systems very much. I look forward to enjoying those facets.

And, though my experience with high-speed braking was limited, and my only experience with the stock brakes has been on the track, my impression of the brakes over stock was favorable at ALL ranges of performance, - smoother, finer control, and simply more confident. Maybe the suspension added to my perception, but I don't think so.

Will look forward to delivery with even more anticipation after your thorough review.

Thanks again!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Is it true that with the 500HP powerkit, when you slam on the throttle you can actually percieve the fuel gauge needle go down with your own eyes?

Seriously, great review! seems like its not only just a powerkit, you get also a brake kit and suspension kit along with it

The fuel consumption was surprisingly the same like on my car, no difference, around 29-30 litres/100 km during my testdrive. Of cours the fuel consumption can go up to 38 litres/100 km when you drive a few minutes at top speed (did that last summer...my wife had a shock).

Regarding the changed powerkit parts, here's a short list (only the "major" stuff, there are lots of "little" parts involved):

intercooler (left& right)
    engine software
    brake calipers (front & rear)
    brake discs (front & rear)
    brake pads (front& rear)
    brake ducts (front)
    wheel bearing (rear)
    air suspension control unit
    shock struts (front)
    air ducts from and to intercoolers
    tie rods (front)

I heard from another source that the gearbox software has been changed too.

Hi RC,
    how is the ride comfort compared to a standard Cayenne Turbo? is it a lot stiffer or is it more a less the same?

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Hi RC,
    how is the ride comfort compared to a standard Cayenne Turbo? is it a lot stiffer or is it more a less the same?

More or less the same, I'd say. But of course you have three buttons to choose from...

Hi RC, thanks your great report. Do you have any trouble during rainy day? The headlight of my cayenne turbo had steam inside. The service centre said that they cannot solve the problem because of design.

mar: both mine and my gf's cayenne don't have fog since the first day we bought it. I have 20k+ miles, she has 2.5k miles.

ahh ok thanks RC, much appreciated

I heard from HK dealer, the cost will be 15,000EUR to 20,000EUR to change Powerkit. I'm still considering.
    Whether worth changing ?!

I had an order in for one of the first 3 units coming into the US; after much thinking / talking about it I passed. The 'Power Kit' is really a brake kit with a bigger intercooler and an 'enhanced' ecu/controller. The ecu can be 'parted out' (close enough) by a number of third-party guys (want .8 bar? no problem -- just realize it's all in the mid/high end of the range); of course this does nothing for the throttle hesitation. The larger intercooler will only matter on long hard runs; for normal blasting around it will not really do much for you. Since I have already long since installed 8-channel Brembo's and don't really care about the air-channel ducting stuff below the car getting the Power Kit just didn't make much sense for me.

Friends of mine are working hard to 'solve' this throttle hesitation issue; I have told them that if they do so there is a real market; stay tuned.

Quote:
    jdrive said:
    Friends of mine are working hard to 'solve' this throttle hesitation issue; I have told them that if they do so there is a real market; stay tuned.

I am staying tuned.

Good luck!

Quote:
    jdrive said:
    The 'Power Kit' is really a brake kit with a bigger intercooler and an 'enhanced' ecu/controlle

No, it isn't. Did you read the review?
    Of course ANY tuner could get out 0.8 bar and even more out of the Cayenne Turbo but this wouldn't be the same.
    How many tuners did test their cars like Porsche does? None. And most of them just tweaked the software but gave a sh.t about the other stuff like gearbox programming, aerodynamics, 4WD system/drivetrain, etc.
    You added a new brake and you think it is better than the original setup? Think again. The ABS/PSM system is not adapted to your "new" brake, it was a pretty useless exchange job. It may show less rubbing in certain driving conditions but I bet with you that braking/stopping distance is longer and even furthermore: braking/stopping stability in extreme driving conditions may be seriously compromised. Look at all those reviews where they test aftermarket brakes added to those Boxsters, 911s and Cayenne. None of them shows better braking performance, on the contrary. But hey, the larger discs and calipers look cool, I agree.

Now what about the changed air suspension software, the different shocks in the front, the other little suspension parts which change the suspension characeristics?

I'm sorry if I sound a little bit "rude" but from my personal experience and talks with various tuners, owners of tuned cars and engineers, there is no real substitute for the original product with a VERY FEW exceptions.

I agree only with one thing: the powerkit is TOO expensive and in my opinion it is a SHAME for a sportscar manufacturer like Porsche not to offer the powerkit as a STANDARD option on ALL Cayenne Turbo. This is a safety issue in my opinion because I'm not happy at all with the standard brake. It works well under "normal" driving conditions and it may be the best brake on a SUV worldwide but this isn't enough. When I drive my Cayenne Turbo very hard on the Autobahn, the brake is soon at it's limit, especially on hot days, without even driving a fully loaded car.

Thanks for the detailed review of the Turbo upgrade as well as your advice and opinions.

I read another locked thread about the review and the hesitation being dangerous. I just put 5300 miles on my new CT doing a fun cross counrty road trip and I did experience some of this dangerous Turbo lag. It actually seemed more like transmission shift lag and I was curious about the reset ability of the learned shift points. As I hit the throttle it didn't show any turbo boost or down shift, just slow and steady acceleration.

Anyway, I was merging onto a freeway in Alabama or Louisiana and I saw a BIG rig coming down pretty fast in the first lane. I figured since I had a fast Porsche I could just stab the throttle and enjoy that exillerating burst of speed from the Turbo as I rocketed up to speed to meet the rest of the pack. Well let me tell you... It didn't go quite like that. The merge was in slow motion as I pulled in front of the big rig and it came barreling down on me as I waited for the slingshot of my Cayenne to kick-in. No such luck there. The luck was that the big rig hit his brakes and didn't rumble over me. This would not have happened in my Corvette. Anyway, I have gotten around that by paddle shifting down two gears without adding any throttle. Then as the revs pick up I stab the trottle and have a very nice smooth acceleration to the required speed sans drama of the good or bad kind.

Just sharing...

Thanks for your feedback on the throttle hesitation.
    Yes, manual shifting does help to overcome the hesitation but this is no real solution. My wife drives the CT too and she almost had an accident a few days ago, it was pretty scary for her and the kids. I really don't understand why Porsche doesn't do anything about it. Sometimes I feel I should have put more pressure on them but I didn't want to fight them. If somebody from Porsche reads this: PLEASE find a solution for the throttle hesitation. If a serious accident happens, you have people's life on your conscience.

In order to get one's attention sometimes we need to take drastic measures. What if all Cayenne owners that have hesitation problem, all together, wrote a letter with a petition to Porsche AG or PCNA and send a copy of it to a reputable magazine or media like 20/20 or 60 minutes.
    I gurantee you all that Porsche will look into it once the danger is mentioned.

I'll line up right behind RC for the petition

1. RC
    2. CromagNet

Quote:
    RC said:...My wife drives the CT too and she almost had an accident a few days ago, it was pretty scary for her and the kids. I really don't understand why Porsche doesn't do anything about it...PLEASE find a solution for the throttle hesitation. If a serious accident happens, you have people's life on your conscience.

yep, i agree 100% with you. we will not consider another cayenne until and unless this safety issue is addressed. if anything happens to either of us as a result of it, we will sue porsche's a## off. and, from the sound of others here it'll likely be a class action.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781286 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442671 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263403 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261748 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85870 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5939 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881500 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819162 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM