Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

One couldn’t have stated it any better.  I reviewed the list of enhancements made to the latest version of FSD and it’s a shocking list.  Anyone pretending that FSD is self-driving to any degree is delusional and it places others at risk.  However, one imagines that any criticism of Tesla’s FSD will once again be taken as a personal affront by a RT poster or two.  

CGX car nut:

One couldn’t have stated it any better.  I reviewed the list of enhancements made to the latest version of FSD and it’s a shocking list.  Anyone pretending that FSD is self-driving to any degree is delusional and it places others at risk.  However, one imagines that any criticism of Tesla’s FSD will once again be taken as a personal affront by a RT poster or two.  

How many times can I say that FSD needs a lot of work. I am not a fan. What is with reading comprehension?  

The depiction of the beta program however is ridiculous.  Tesla does 90% of its training in simulations now. It gets some feedback from beta testers who get kicked off the program if they don’t pay attention or misuse the system. 

What more can I say?  Hello … FSD is not ready for prime time. Let the beta nerds have fun with it crawling around. 

Carbon brakes for the Plaid, $20K

ive:

Cooling actually is the key. The existing steel brakes have enough heat capacity to do one or two stops without being overheated.

Carbon brakes have a a higher capacity for heat but if it's saturated, it still won't work. 

If there are proper functional cooling ducts, those standard steel brakes could be more functional. But of course opening up holes for cooling means sacrificing aero efficiency.

--

Whoopsy:
    ive:

Cooling actually is the key. The existing steel brakes have enough heat capacity to do one or two stops without being overheated.

Carbon brakes have a a higher capacity for heat but if it's saturated, it still won't work. 

If there are proper functional cooling ducts, those standard steel brakes could be more functional. But of course opening up holes for cooling means sacrificing aero efficiency.

One or two stops. Lol. 

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    ive:

One or two stops. Lol. 

Plaid will top 152mph on a 1/4 mile run. It weights over 4800lb. on 14" steel rotors that's not well cooled, if at all. Yeah, one to two stops max. It won't be able to do a 3rd one in a row. 

And why do you feel the need to have big twisted reactions to everything Tesla. You either go hyper defensive, sarcastic, ticked off, basically nothing normal. Can you not for once calm down and write some intelligent replies?

At the timing lights, a Plaid will be carrying over 5 million joules of kinetic energy. All of that will need to be converted to heat by Tesla's physical brakes as they do not do blended braking and no one is going to use Tesla's lift off throttle regen to gently bleed them off, they will ended up in the next county and still be going somewhere.

Every other EVs or hybrids have blended braking, that means when one press on the brake to stop, the car itself will use up all the regen capacity first, and after maxing that out, apply the physical brakes for the rest of the braking events. Everyone else also have better designed cooling ducts for the brakes to keep them from overheating. 

--

Yes but they don’t have that super low drag coefficient like the Tesla. 

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    ive:

One or two stops. Lol. 

The very first BMW 7 12cyl. was in his time a very fast and heavy car. The breaks of the first prototypes lasted ONE brake attempt at 250km/h when the brakes were cooled down very low (winter simulation). The rise of the temperature was that fast that it caused small cracks. Never underestimate thermal problems on brakes

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    ive:

One or two stops. Lol. 

Plaid will top 152mph on a 1/4 mile run. It weights over 4800lb. on 14" steel rotors that's not well cooled, if at all. Yeah, one to two stops max. It won't be able to do a 3rd one in a row. 

And why do you feel the need to have big twisted reactions to everything Tesla. You either go hyper defensive, sarcastic, ticked off, basically nothing normal. Can you not for once calm down and write some intelligent replies?

At the timing lights, a Plaid will be carrying over 5 million joules of kinetic energy. All of that will need to be converted to heat by Tesla's physical brakes as they do not do blended braking and no one is going to use Tesla's lift off throttle regen to gently bleed them off, they will ended up in the next county and still be going somewhere.

Every other EVs or hybrids have blended braking, that means when one press on the brake to stop, the car itself will use up all the regen capacity first, and after maxing that out, apply the physical brakes for the rest of the braking events. Everyone else also have better designed cooling ducts for the brakes to keep them from overheating. 

--

My ‘twisted’ reaction was to you one to two stops comment.  You have a very low bar.  
    Thanks for explaining your meaning behind two stops etc.  - it sounded like the car would crash into a wall on the street driving normally after two stops.  Now that you point out repeated stops from 152 mph your comment makes a bit more sense. Though I would not ever accuse you of purposely being hyperbolic about Teslas. Lol. 
    Of course blended brakes also fix all that heat buildup you mentioned in the other post. 
    I wonder how many times in a row the Taycan can stop from 152mph?  Of course it may run out of track trying to get there AND stop in time.   But seriously - what is the safe spec?  How many times from 152 mph in a row is safe for street driving?  I mean, it must happen all the time on the autobahn.  152 and stop and again.  
    Here in the slow US even the drag strips typically make you go back to the starting line and wait for a few minutes until it is your turn again - cooling the brakes nicely.   
    Sorry for explaining my twisted reply. Each coin has two sides.  I do always enjoy when any response is characterized as somehow extreme.  I’m pretty reality driven. 

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:  If someone does not take these first steps then how do we ever implement changes?  

The safe thing to do is to wait until those changes are safe and out of beta stage before implementing them into regular drivers driving around other drivers and pedestrians, there is a reason why all the rest of the industry is doing precisely just that except Tesla. 

True Carlos. In previous times there would be the directives to stop the sell of potentially dangerous product, but someone protects Elon products.

Dear Leawood911, of course I understand your logic- 1 death is tradegy, 1000 deaths is a statistics, but nevertheless, for beta there the testers who are paid to be testers. If you sell the product, you must sell finished and tested one. 

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:  If someone does not take these first steps then how do we ever implement changes?  

The safe thing to do is to wait until those changes are safe and out of beta stage before implementing them into regular drivers driving around other drivers and pedestrians, there is a reason why all the rest of the industry is doing precisely just that except Tesla. 

True Carlos. In previous times there would be the directives to stop the sell of potentially dangerous product, but someone protects Elon products.

Dear Leawood911, of course I understand your logic- 1 death is tradegy, 1000 deaths is a statistics, but nevertheless, for beta there the testers who are paid to be testers. If you sell the product, you must sell finished and tested one. 

--

sportcars-history.com

None of the products you use are ‘finished’. Have you ever owned something which was not eventually improved?  We are all vaccine beta testers presently. Many more people died beta testing that than Tesla. 
    You are right - the thousands who die in traffic accidents in cars which are not able to do anything to help you are a statistic. The few people injured ( none killed in the beta program at all. Zero ) are despite every labor union and corrupt politician and media outlet trying their best to con you into thinking those thousands of deaths are meaningless compared to the possible injuries a Tesla beta tester might cause.  Bottom line is there is no safer car and no one is even close.  Ending advances in safety tech like FSD is just like signing the death warrant for future crash victims. 

This is about as silly an argument as the whole brake thing. I drive my model3 like a maniac. Much faster and swiftly in traffic than my turbo yet I never even use my brakes.  What we have here is a fundamental misunderstanding of how EVs brake and the plaids motor braking is even more powerful than my car. There is no better car to drive down a mountain pass for instance. When I drove down Pikes Peak not only were my brakes not used (others are needed to stop and have temps tested along the way) but I added about 20 miles of free range.  On the street under normal use my car or the plaid will hardly ever need it’s brakes even with the most spirited driving on the street.  If someone considers a heavy 5000 car a track car they need their head examined more than they need brakes.  And if you find yourself on the autobahn needing to stop from 150 mph more than once every few minutes you are again just plain nuts in traffic. No one can help that.  Same as if you are a beta tester and don’t pay attention. 

It is clear, based on the silly issues and complaints, why the other automakers are worth what they are by comparison.  Not even all the FUD is close to believable anymore but it is a shining example of how desperate the competition is and should be. 

Leawood911:
    kudryavchik:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

sportcars-history.com

None of the products you use are ‘finished’. Have you ever owned something which was not eventually improved?  We are all vaccine beta testers presently. Many more people died beta testing that than Tesla. 
    You are right - the thousands who die in traffic accidents in cars which are not able to do anything to help you are a statistic. The few people injured ( none killed in the beta program at all. Zero ) are despite every labor union and corrupt politician and media outlet trying their best to con you into thinking those thousands of deaths are meaningless compared to the possible injuries a Tesla beta tester might cause.  Bottom line is there is no safer car and no one is even close.  Ending advances in safety tech like FSD is just like signing the death warrant for future crash victims. 

This is about as silly an argument as the whole brake thing. I drive my model3 like a maniac. Much faster and swiftly in traffic than my turbo yet I never even use my brakes.  What we have here is a fundamental misunderstanding of how EVs brake and the plaids motor braking is even more powerful than my car. There is no better car to drive down a mountain pass for instance. When I drove down Pikes Peak not only were my brakes not used (others are needed to stop and have temps tested along the way) but I added about 20 miles of free range.  On the street under normal use my car or the plaid will hardly ever need it’s brakes even with the most spirited driving on the street.  If someone considers a heavy 5000 car a track car they need their head examined more than they need brakes.  And if you find yourself on the autobahn needing to stop from 150 mph more than once every few minutes you are again just plain nuts in traffic. No one can help that.  Same as if you are a beta tester and don’t pay attention. 

It is clear, based on the silly issues and complaints, why the other automakers are worth what they are by comparison.  Not even all the FUD is close to believable anymore but it is a shining example of how desperate the competition is and should be. 

We are not vaccine beta testers, let's get our medical facts straight and drop the conspiracy theories, but the non vaxers make a great control group though, just look at who is filling the hospitals and ERs ... Darwinism at it's best.

And while there are some reported deaths from the vaccine, as with a Tesla accidents, the vaccines on the other hand has/will save millions of lives.

As to the Model 3 car to go down a mountain pass... No. Last thing I want to be in when I go down a mountain pass is a 2 ton EV sedan, who cares about having 20 miles more mileage after going down Pikes peak? Best car to go down a mountain pass is still a sportscar.

Sportscars are the obvious choice for fun drives up or down a mountain or any road. My point merely related to the brakes, which would not be needed to go downhill with an EV. It stops itself. It is the only type of car which will come to a complete stop from any speed without brakes at all even going downhill. 
    Not going to debate vaccines. It was just an example of a product which is obviously not perfect yet we use it because it helps. 

Leawood911:

Sportscars are the obvious choice for fun drives up or down a mountain or any road. My point merely related to the brakes, which would not be needed to go downhill with an EV. It stops itself. It is the only type of car which will come to a complete stop from any speed without brakes at all even going downhill. 
    Not going to debate vaccines. It was just an example of a product which is obviously not perfect yet we use it because it helps. 

But I still don't see the point Leawood, what is the benefit of breaking only with the engine than using the brakes too?  you save 0,0001 cents on brake pads and gained 20miles of milage going down Pikes peak, that is hardly a reason to claim one car is better or worse in the grand scheme of things, makes little diffence imho.

Leawood911:
    kudryavchik:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

sportcars-history.com

Dear Lewood911, Chernobyl blows up, shit the whole world with radiation, thousands of deaths, Soviet propaganda - oh guys dont worry, dont take a shit, it was beta, no worries. Crashed 737 max and ssj100 - guys, dont worry, its beta. Tesla - the same. If your ipad crashes its ok, you can update, but in nuclear and transportation beta doesnt work. Before going to usage the manufacturer must confirm that the unit is safe. Of course, even in aviation there is such thing like getting the reliability experience through the usage, but you must guarantee that the problem that happens doesnt create the danger for passengers. There are such a things called procedures and scenarios. If you follow the procedure you must get the certain scenario of consequences

--

sportcars-history.com

Guys, about the vaccination - lets omit this topic, because there are those who believe - will inject this thing every 6 months like drug addictive persons, there are those who dont believe. What I see is a new age nazism, and we should expect the appearance of concentration camps (like in Australia). Interesting times we live, but we are on the edge of very strong shift of reality with lots of uncertainties. Thats all that can be said there

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

Guys, about the vaccination - lets omit this topic, because there are those who believe - will inject this thing every 6 months like drug addictive persons, there are those who dont believe. What I see is a new age nazism, and we should expect the appearance of concentration camps (like in Australia). Interesting times we live, but we are on the edge of very strong shift of reality with lots of uncertainties. Thats all that can be said there

Can you stop with such bullshit! 

--

AM

ALDO:
    kudryavchik:

Why bullshit? Because it doesnt represent your own opinion? But dont be worried, I dont tend to develop this topic. For everyone its own.

P.s. my post doesnt violate any of the community rules, so please, in case of no violation, be more patient please. You are the moderator

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

I have to correct my post in the Formula 1 thread - this is even more dumb

Itsme:
    kudryavchik:

I have to correct my post in the Formula 1 thread - this is even more dumb

I am ok with the reaction. Quite sensitive things. Time will tell, and will show where is right where is wrong. What I see, more and more social separation of people, growth of agression. Your comment, as the comments of some other members simply confirm this. Europe, especially Germans (all my friends) were always happy to discuss different opinions, points of view. The time changes, increasing uncertainty moves people out of comfort zone, where the possibility to be polite dissapears. The history develops in spiral:) 

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:
    ALDO:
    kudryavchik:

Why bullshit? Because it doesnt represent your own opinion? But dont be worried, I dont tend to develop this topic. For everyone its own.

P.s. my post doesnt violate any of the community rules, so please, in case of no violation, be more patient please. You are the moderator

--

sportcars-history.com

here you have your answer

--

AM

ALDO:
    kudryavchik:
    ALDO:
    kudryavchik:

--

sportcars-history.com

here you have your answer

Here is mine Aldo.    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/100644212

--

sportcars-history.com

As soon as they start locking up the non-Tesla believers, then this will be the correct thread to discuss it.

Meanwhile there is a Tesla thread in the politics section just waiting for viruses, vaccines, concentration camps and other wildly unrelated Tesla trivia.

Yes I went offtopic here. Sorry

--

sportcars-history.com

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

But I still don't see the point Leawood, what is the benefit of breaking only with the engine than using the brakes too?  you save 0,0001 cents on brake pads and gained 20miles of milage going down Pikes peak, that is hardly a reason to claim one car is better or worse in the grand scheme of things, makes little diffence imho.

It is an EV thing.  My main point is you will not run out of brakes in any Tesla driving it on the street. Even in a spirited manner. It will not run out of brakes and crash and it is one of the few types of cars which you could use without any brakes at all of years and not miss them.   Using the one pedal to stop and go is as natural as using the steering wheel to turn left and right.  It is not just about saving a few pennies on brake pads at all. It is about not heating up the brakes at all going down steep mountain passes. That alone could be life saving. It also means all that energy goes back into the battery.  In the case of pikes peak that was a huge amount of additional range.  It is just a simpler and I consider it a better way of driving.  Anyway, I hope it explains why I feel like complaints about brakes on a Tesla are not the most valid issue.  It illustrates how miss understood EV can be if you don’t drive one every day or have used one frequently. 

Im pretty certain there are other Tesla drivers on here who know exactly what I am speaking of.  As you can see there is no big fan boy club though else they would chime in. It can appreciate their restraint. Lol. 

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

It is an EV thing.  My main point is you will not run out of brakes in any Tesla driving it on the street. Even in a spirited manner. It will not run out of brakes and crash and it is one of the few types of cars which you could use without any brakes at all of years and not miss them.   Using the one pedal to stop and go is as natural as using the steering wheel to turn left and right.  It is not just about saving a few pennies on brake pads at all. It is about not heating up the brakes at all going down steep mountain passes. That alone could be life saving. It also means all that energy goes back into the battery.  In the case of pikes peak that was a huge amount of additional range.  It is just a simpler and I consider it a better way of driving.  Anyway, I hope it explains why I feel like complaints about brakes on a Tesla are not the most valid issue.  It illustrates how miss understood EV can be if you don’t drive one every day or have used one frequently. 

But if you are talking about just cruising down a mountain pass just using EV engine braking then the point is moot because the ICE car won't heat up the brakes either under those conditions either, so it's a non issue.

And if we are talking about a "spirited"  drive down the pass then you are going to be needing to use the brakes on the Tesla otherwise you are not driving spiritedly in the first place, in which case I would prefer the ICE and it's regular sporty brakes and feel and weight, and if it had to be an EV then a Tesla would be my last choice because it doesn't have blended braking like a Taycan does for example. 

I have been on plenty of mountain passes in Europe and the US where brakes have overheated. A rental VW Golf in the Alps around Innsbruck for instance.  At Pikes peak all car coming down were stopped half way down for brake temp checks and some were made to pause for a few minutes. These were tourists slowly descending. 
    It stands to reason that, if anything, on the street the Tesla has lots of ways to stop and plenty of brakes. It does not easily run out of brakes.  I think we can set that aside. 

You are totally welcome to prefer sports cars or cars with blended braking. That is awesome.  I am just trying to inform a bit in terms of EV braking and that I prefer one pedal driving.  Like I said - it is like using a wheel to turn left AND right. Why no use one pedal to go and stop?  Very logical and natural. Just different. Some have envisioned joysticks for all directions. 
    To me blended braking always implies some energy lost rather than used for recharging.  Not to mention always or more request use of that other pedal. 
    For years I have always tried to stop as smoothly as possible when driving. To the point where passengers can’t notice coming to a halt.  It is hard to do with conventional brakes but Porsche brakes are the best for refining this skill.  What amazes me is that the Tesla does this better than I can when using regen to come to a complete stop. Butter smooth. 

You still don't get blended braking.🤦🏻‍♂️

In a Tesla, if the driver touches the brake pedal, all the energy is lost as it disconnect the regen side. It's all physical brake with the brake pedal on a Tesla. Two completely different circuit.

In every other hybrid and EV, the first part of the travel of the brake pedal is regen braking, where the kinetic energy is captured to recharge the battery. Most cars can do a stronger regen braking there than what the liftoff regen Tesla can do with their throttle pedal. Now if one needs more braking force than the regen capability can handle, they just continue applying more braking force to the brake pedal and the physical brake will start helping, without disconnecting the regen circuit, the electric motors are still recapturing the kinetic energy in the process. Basically the car is always regenerating when braking whether one stays in the regen only portion or not. 

It's a completely natural and transparent process. Go pedal for go, Stop pedal for stop. 

Been trying to explain to you for a few years now. But you just think one is trying to trash Tesla. 

Elon didn't have the time and money to develop blended braking back then, that's why he installed 2 separate circuit for braking. One is completely conventional hydraulic system, then other is pure software using the motor to regenerate. Not the most efficient way to do things, but it's the cheapest and quickest. 

Blended braking means a dual function brake pedal instead of a dual function throttle pedal. People naturally uses the brake pedal to brake, it's more proper to engineer things that way. Pressing the brake pedal engages the regenerative function on the motors, the limit on energy captured is different on different cars, but once that threshold is reached, the car start adding in friction brakes to help with the braking event, all the while the motors are kept at the top limit of energy capture. 

It's too late for them to do it now, but if you give Elon and do-over, he will develop a proper blended braking system. 

--

Whoopsy:

In a Tesla, if the driver touches the brake pedal, all the energy is lost as it disconnect the regen side. It's all physical brake with the brake pedal on a Tesla. Two completely different circuit.

Do you have a source for that ?  I thought the physical brake pedal just added to the existing regen braking.  Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689159 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409001 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255662 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234909 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65479 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857826 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773804 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM