Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Sticky: yes Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021)

When 500 PS (368 kW) from a high-revving mid-mounted engine meets a purist 1,415 kg kerb weight, it is time for the term ‘driving pleasure‘ to be redefined: the Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS is the new flagship model in the 718 family – an uncomp romising driver’s car designed to impress with its lightweight construction, extremely agile chassis set-up, sophisticated aerodynamics and unique soundtrack. Whether it is being driven on narrow, winding mountains roads or closed race tracks, the 718 Cayman GT4 RS is king of the compact mid-engined range. On the Nürburgring Nordschleife, it outperforms its sibling, the 718 Cayman GT4, by more than 23
    seconds.

The naturally aspirated flat-six engine, familiar from the 911 GT3 Cup racing car and the 911 GT3 series production model, forms the centrepiece of a sports car that has been designed for maximum driving pleasure. The engine revs as high as 9,000 rpm. Compared to the 718 Cayman GT4, the 718 Cayman GT4 RS has an extra 80 PS (59 kW), resulting in a weight-to-power ratio of 2.83 kg/PS. Maximum torque has been increased from 430 to 450 Nm.

Among the striking features of the new, top-of-the-range 718 are the process air intakes behind the driver and passenger windows. The 718 Cayman normally has small side windows here. The new air intakes improve both the intake airflow and, at the same time, create a thrilling intake noise right next to the occupants' ears. The characteristic air intakes in front of the rear wheels have been retained and are used for engine cooling.

Like every modern RS model, the new 718 GT4 RS is exclusively available with the Porsche dual clutch transmission (PDK). This gearbox shifts through its seven gears at lightning speed and guarantees maximum performance. The gearshift paddles allow drivers to keep their hands on the steering wheel even when changing gear manually. Alternatively, they can use the re-designed selector lever on the centre console.

The sports low-ratio PDK underpins the incredible acceleration of this mid-engined sports car. The 718 Cayman GT4 RS sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in just 3.4 seconds (GT4 with PDK: 3.9 seconds) and has a top speed of 315 km/h (GT4 with PDK: 302 km/h), which it reaches in seventh gear.

In typical RS style, lightweight construction is a defining element of the new 718 Cayman GT4 RS design. The two-seater weighs only 1,415 kilograms, with a full fuel tank and without a driver as defined by the DIN standard, which is 35 kg less than a PDK-equipped 718 GT4. This weight reduction is achieved thanks to the use of carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP) for components such as the bonnet and front wings. Lightweight carpets also save weight, as does reducing the amount of insulation material. The rear window is made of lightweight glass. Lightweight door panels with textile opening loops and nets on the storage compartments complete the quest to eliminate every superfluous gram.

The new fixed rear wing, its swan-neck attachment and aluminium wing supports, are a distinctive element of the exterior design. This highly efficient wing principle is derived from the Porsche 911 RSR GT racing car and was first adopted in a Porsche series production car with the 911 GT3. In combination with the 30-millimetre-lower ride height compared to the 718 Cayman, the eye-catching vents on the front wheel arches, the aerodynamically optimised underbody panelling with connected rear diffuser, the multi-adjustable front diffuser and the new front spoiler lip with flow-around side blades, in the Performance mode reserved for use on race tracks the GT4 RS generates approximately 25 per cent more downforce than the GT4.

Modifications to the chassis also contribute to its greater performance. Ball joints bind the chassis tightly to the body to deliver even more precise and direct handling. The adjustable, circuit-ready chassis has an RS-specific shock absorber set-up, as well as modified spring and anti-roll bar rates.

The optional Weissach package takes the dynamic design of the GT4 RS even further. The front luggage-compartment lid, process air intakes, cooling air intakes, airbox cover, exterior mirror upper trims and rear wing have a carbon-weave finish. The titanium tailpipes look similar to the exhaust system on the Porsche 935. The fitted roll cage at the rear is also made of titanium. The upper section of the dashboard is upholstered in Race-Tex material and a large Porsche logo is integrated into the rear window. With the Weissach package 20-inch forged magnesium wheels can be ordered at additional cost instead of the 20-inch forged aluminium wheels.

All of these enhancements compared to the 718 Cayman GT4 make the GT4 RS the most uncompromising and sharpest member of the 718 family. This is particularly evident on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. During the final phase of set-up adjustments, Porsche brand ambassador Jörg Bergmeister lapped the 20.832-kilometre track in 7:09.300 minutes. The GT4 RS conquered the shorter 20.6 km version, which previously served as the benchmark, in 7:04.511 minutes – 23.6 seconds faster than the 718 Cayman GT4.

The unique Porsche Design Chronograph 718 Cayman GT4 RS, created by Porsche Design exclusively for buyers of the vehicle, is as dynamic as its four-wheeled counterpart. The watch also benefits from a lightweight design concept with high-performance features based on the robust, high-tech characteristics of titanium. Its winding rotor is modelled on the sports car’s rims and can be specified in different colours, just like the car.

The new Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS is celebrating its world premiere at the Los Angeles Auto Show and can now be ordered at a base price of 141,338 euros (including 19% VAT). Delivery begins in December. In addition, the GT4 RS is available with the optional Weissach package to further enhance its aerodynamics. The 718 Cayman GT4 RS Clubsport racing version is also celebrating its premiere in Los Angeles, and it will be launched in several national and international racing series starting in 2022.

S21_5358.jpg
    S21_5351.jpg
    S21_5356.jpg
    S21_5357.jpg
    S21_5352.jpg
    S21_5354.jpg
    S21_5350.jpg
    S21_5353.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Re: OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021)

good marketing for a Rube Goldberg product but nice and quick.  

My last drive of the year. The car goes now to sleep for a few month.

IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0435 2.jpg

Nice shots, Eric!  Hope your car sleeps well 

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I want to take it out of your hands!

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

"Porsche Cayman GT4 RS on road review. This or the 992 GT3?"  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

...video by Harry's garage... Smiley

Video Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEGaKBkKRs4

Smiley

Gnil:

My last drive of the year. The car goes now to sleep for a few month.
    IMG_0435 2.jpg

Fantastic picture!! 

+1

Mine getting the "stop sale" fuel line screw/bolt? fix:

(tech is trying to do it without dropping the engine ... to save time)

IMG_4282.jpeg

The Rain/Water Separator is a cool feature for keeping the quarter-window air horns from drowning the motor in the rain:

IMG_4284.jpeg

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 992 GT3 Touring + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

Interesting photos. Not much space left in that engine bay.

--

Didn't expect that outcome at the end, given the incredible performance of the GT3 RS.

GT3RS is the 50 year old whiskey, but most of the time 18 is plenty good enough.

--

Interesting review....and an enjoyable watch.

It kinda opens the door for the 992 GT3 as the best of all 3 when you think about the reasoning behind the conclusion doesnt it?

Using the same "Top Trump" metrics the GT3 would score on every measure the same as the GT3RS.

However its a much more useable road car than the RS especially for long distance jaunts to the track or away for Porsche events like the recent 1000km weekend away we just did with the club (see attached). Yes my friends Singer looks the ducks nuts but hey thats another $1M more!

Its a shame they didnt qualify the exterior sound as well as the interior sound. I used to love when folks came up to me at the track after a session to tell me how crazy my 991.1 GT3 sounded under downshifts with the Dundon headers and exhaust....sounded pretty damn good inside too.

I just wonder if the GT4RS interior sound wouldnt get too much over time. Ive been in a few now and Im still unsure it will work for my 12+ track days a year from one end of NZ to the other (typically around 8000km a year getting to and from the tracks - even though my local is only 6km away!). 

Im very much getting cold feet about chucking in my 992 GT3 for my GT4RS when it next year. Its not too late to back out. I cant afford to own both. Im not a collector. 

The thing that worries me most is actually the on limit handling more than the potentially tiring noise. The noise would stop my wife going on the occasional social trip away with me which would be a shame but we do have other cars we could take.

But my experience from owning and heavily tracking a 981 GT4 suggests the on limit handling will spoil my "late middle age" mantra of running fast while taking less risks at the track LOL. 

Reviews like this make it difficult - but then I agree with regards to the GT3RS. I was offered an allocation but it simply doesnt work with my track day lifestyle. It also looks a bit OTT for my tastes.

First world problems, but maybe not first world enough (or else Id be owning both!). At this stage Im still feeling it for the 911.

When I put a friends GT4RS next to mine in the garage I couldnt help feel the GT3 just looks so muscular and sculptured...

Sorry for the waffle!

DSC04738.JPG

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022 Toyota GR Yaris, 2021 992 GT3, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, 2009 Lotus Elise SC

iris-9.jpeg

I would use fat and unfit as the adjective, the perfect 38-36-40 body figure...................There is barely any waist on the 992 GT3 

--

IMG_7318.jpg
    IMG_7316.jpg
    IMG_7328.jpg
    IMG_7321.jpg

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022 Toyota GR Yaris, 2021 992 GT3, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, 2009 Lotus Elise SC

I would have agreed with you if I just looked at pictures of my white 992 GT3 on the configurator. Black wheels dont help as with real eyes is the only way to see the contrasts and shapes of the spokes etc. But you'll just have to believe me when I say that sitting next to the Singer it looked every bit the athlete, like a sprung oil ready to shoot forward.

I dont think I was the only one who thought that from the banter I heard.  The club chose that pic for the front cover of the Xmas edition magazine which I was quietly chuffed with.

Im not saying its the sexist 911 Ive owned. The 993 RS probably takes that cake. They have got much larger or course. Even the 991.2 GT3 was nicer from the front but not from the rear IMO. However Im getting to like the 992 GT3 shape more over the last 18 months ownership.

The point was that the 4RS reminded me how slab sided it really is when against the 911. There really isnt alot of tension in the form. Still an aggressive looking car but only 130mm shorter and not much narrower - we forget how big these cars really are in the real.

Not saying the 4RS is bad - Ill very possibly be beating on one on the tracks next year - but I just wonder how badly I will miss the 911 once its gone. As I said still in flux on this one. 

IMG_7522.JPG
    DSC04741.JPG

--

macca993:

IMG_7316.jpg

Yes, your GT3 looks clean and crisp, a great spec. But, lets acknowledge those perfectly kept hedges and topiary. Nice. 

The GT4 RS car is a more lively and nervous car then the 991.2 GT3 RS.

On the other side the GT3 RS is a more stable and faster car. 

On the edge I personally prefer the 911, as I know well how it reacts and I like that at the limits it  reacts progressively, unless you are really way too fast.  That suits my over 50 fear management abilities. 

On long distances, the GT4 RS is not a problem if you use ear plugs. A very easy and practical solution. Suspension is more comfortable and it is more fun on speed limited roads.

I also do about 8000 km a year to/from the tracks.  Usually over 600 km to get to the place .

I like the technical parts of the 992 GT3 RS.  And I find the car to be much more appealing in looks then the GT4. No comparison.

I was offered an allocation for a 992 GT3 RS a few weeks back. I declined for the moment. I want to stay a bit longer with the GT4 RS. Also thinking the 992.2 GT3 RS will have a proper engine upgrade. 

Nice pics, Mark  wink

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.9L Twin-Plug MFI Carbon Fiber replica. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi, 06 EVO9 with track mods

Enmanuel:
    macca993:

IMG_7316.jpg

Yes, your GT3 looks clean and crisp, a great spec. But, lets acknowledge those perfectly kept hedges and topiary. Nice. 

Yes, that's a lovely garden! 

And I hate him, Vancouver is covered in over a foot of snow overnight and the city is basically in shut down modeSmiley

I am hiding in Whistler but it's -20 and going colder next few days lol.

--

Thanks Mark. They were quick snap shots before heading off to the weekend away with PCNZ. The car hadnt been out of the garage for quite some time and it was clean, the weather fine so opportunity presents.

Vancouver is such a lovely city. One of my favourites. Yes we are season opposite so summer here is on the way. Xmas with snow is nice too tho :-)

I think if I didnt have the 992 GT3 already the GT4RS would be perfect. It would still be my preference for the back road driving I do with mates. The 992 GT3 is too big and capable for those small roads and lacks some of the drama of the GT4RS I find very appealing. I only use it for getting to and from the track - but it works well for that and I guess to get back on point here I was simply saying that the suprise isnt that the GT4RS was chosen as being the more enjoyable car by the BBC team over the RS but that their critisims of the RS do not hold true for the GT3 although many of the benefits are still valid so the GT3 vs the RS would have been a more interesting comparison for me personally at least...

Not sure I could do the annual PCNZ trip in a GT4RS with my wife tho us both wearing ear buds. That might be a step to far LOL

--

I actually had a 992 GT3 since last November. I bought the car sharing with a buddy of mine. White like yours. I only drove I for a couple days and then never again. Now I am letting him have the car full time. I never mentioned it much if at all cause it isn't a memorable car. 

It was my 2nd time ever inside a 992 when I took delivery. First time was in a turbo S in September. I was surprised how big it is even when on paper it's not supposed to be that much AND I already spent 4 days inside one couple months ago. Unwieldy would be my adjective. Next would be too refined, as opposed to the 991 GT3. Doesn't feel like a GT3 anymore.

Had another 4 days inside a 992 turbo S this past Sept and my impression of too big a car hasn't changed. I simply can't place a 992 precise enough like the older generations. 

Going back to the refined part. Even with the 9k NA engine, the car just feels civilized, like a turbo S with a better engine sound. It just doesn't feels like a Motorsport GT car anymore. If I were to get myself another GT3, I would go for a 991 for the extra rawness, ultimate lap times be damned. 

The GT4RS ultimately will be slightly slower, but to make it up, it will be much more lively. The sound will be best of all the Porsches ever is just icing on the cake. 

I enjoyed a busy car, if you get my drift. 

I also ordered the new GT3RS and the Dakar. The Dakar will be a keeper for sure just because of what it is, like my Exclusive, the GT3RS however I might share it again with another buddy. I really don't see myself using it much. For some it's like the ultimate track car, but with me having access to race cars, it's like in no man's land. Haven't config it yet, can't decide which direction I want to go with the car, track focused or street focused. 

--

I dont disagree with you.

My 991.1 GT3 with Dundon headers was more raw than my 991.2 GT3. The gearbox made sounds like a coffee grinder when manouvering at low speeds, and the cabin sound between 8-9000 rpm was louder - that 3.8 was really shrill at the top end and quite spine tingling. It always sounded like you were on the edge of it popping. Mine popped twice so I had three engines and never paid for a service once in 3.5 years, 25,000km and 22 track days!

For the 991.2 I went for manual. I drove both before making the decision. The manual made up for the PDK which was now smoother and quieter and the engine which was more bassey in the 8000-9000 range. The manual would also bark on heel and toe downshifts unlike the PDK. I did 25,000km and 24 track days in 2 years with that car. I did enjoy it more on the road for the manual. you felt the gear changes more dramatically due to the gap between shifts.

The 992.1 GT3 I chose PDK again because by now I realised any modern 991-992 gen GT3 was too large and capable for enjoying on my monthly 300km fast back road run with the car guys (we are all ex Targa competitirs and live in the middle of North Island by Lake Taupo so we have access to a bunch of roads used for Targa campaign which are very very good - tight twisty deserted). I figured it was now only used for the track and not for the road other than to get to the 7 different tracks I visit annually. PDK took some risk off the table and on the track was at least as enjoyable as manual if not more so. The ride home could be as involving or vanila as I pleased...

992 Dissapointments? A few. Gearbox is now far too smooth even more than 991.2 GT3PDK. Paddles. Each generation from 991 has less "click". I race sim so Im used to magnetic shifters on my Cube wheels and my sim set up for iRacing GT3 Cup car is way more raw feeling than the 991 & 992 gen GT3s! The exhaust however isnt as quiet as I thought it might be now its done 11 track days and 10K km. Its actually surpisingly good given what I expected but mine is a non OPF car as we dont need that here...

If I only ever drove the 992 GT3 on the road I would have been disappointed like you. It turns in quicker but thats about it. It mostly really shows is subtle improvements on the track IMO. Asthetically however its grown on me more and more. But I dont buy these for the looks so much just get what Porsche give me lol.

On the plus side for my useage is the 992 GT3 rides well on the road and makes comfortable work of the often 600km return trips to the track (same day).

It no longer understeers at the track. With 991 GT3s the car understeered more and more from fresh tyres to 4 track day old tyres. With the 992 GT3 even the oldest heat cycled tyres near needing replacement understeer no worse than fresh tyres on the 991 GT3....It has enough space for my gear even a week away as I have a Roadster fitted luggage set since my Euro Delivery 991.1 GT3 in 2013.

When you have driven 280km to the track spent 6 hours doing 6x 15 min sessions and need to drive home the 992 GT3 can be an easy ride.

The more modern interior doesnt offend me. Id nice to have a change after 5 variants of 991,981 in last 10 years. I do however think the 981/991 interior is a class act and its one of the positives of the GT4RS (no silly stop start, more solid feeling build etc). Some of the new tech is actually useful and handy (GPS auto lift for nose save my paint each time I come to my driveway etc).

So the GT4RS appealed to me as a better fast road car that may get me using it more often for back road "performance driving" - mostly because of the noise and immersion. I enjoyed my 981 GT4 tho the chassis is flawed IMO on the limit. We have some bumpy tracks here and many bumpy roads and I enjoy the work out but not always the unpredictability. But the new GT3s are too easy on the road so the Cayman shortcomings are a bit more welcome for fun back road driving.

I havent yet driven the GT4RS on the track although I now have 5 friends with them so I hope too soon. Having driven with them on track I have no doubt the 992 GT3 is a superior tool for the job. Its way more composed on the bumpy tracks and the precision of the front axle allows you to extract more from it corner entry to mid apex. The aero no doubt helps but its just flatter and less fidgety from what I have personally observed watching the cars being driven at their driver limits.

Interestingly I have 5 friends with GT4RS and met 4 more at a track day last week who have one on order soon to arrive. All of them bar only 2 ordered a GT4RS as they could not get an allocation for a 992 GT3 or they were tired of waiting. Our country will get alot of GT4RS already 24 and more than that coming in first half next year. The two that did not order because they couldnt get an allocation already have 992 GT3 in garage and can afford to have both. 

Therein lies part of the rub. Rightly or wrongly the Cayman will always in the minds of the mass audience be a second class citizen to the 911.

This doesnt apply to you, I appreciate you have multiple high value cars and buy on the basis of what pleases you but for the new rich who are driving this insane asset class bubble cycle the coveted car is the GT3/RS. I dont play into that book either although a GT4RS for me will just be a gap filler until my 992.2 GT3 order is fullf illed assuming of course I dont fall in love and decide to stop hunting for the "next best thing" at that point in time. Id really love that if it happened.

For track cars used intensley for their intended purpose there is no nostalgia. The newest is usually better from my experience. It was the same from my 993RS to my Mk1 996 GT3 and has been from that point forward.

In truth Im not far away from giving up the track quest and the next car being just a fun road car, Purchasing a used 911 Cup car for track work. With that in mind the goal was a 992.2 Manual touring in PTS in 2024 and call it quits before the ICE engine is tainted with electricity. This perhaps is the key driver to trying the GT4RS next. Because it might actually fit that remit just as well. My only real gripe is that to be perfect for a last fling ICR GT car it would have been really nice if it could have had a manual box. But life is never perfect!

--

Nice post, Mark kiss

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.9L Twin-Plug MFI Carbon Fiber replica. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi, 06 EVO9 with track mods

Grant:

Nice post, Mark kiss

+ 1 Smiley

It says it all. 

Just a correction : the GT4 RS does have to annoying stop/start. It can be switched off, but only after ignition. 

Gnil:
    Grant:

Nice post, Mark kiss

+ 1 Smiley

It says it all. 

Just a correction : the GT4 RS does have to annoying stop/start. It can be switched off, but only after ignition. 

My US version one does not have ASS.  Smiley

Schutzhund:

My US version one does not have ASS.  Smiley

Lucky ! Did not know it was according to market. 

I will ask the garage if they can switch it to default off. But probably they won't because of legal/official consumption  reasons. 

It was the same with the seat belt beep. For some years it was possible to have it deactivated as long as you signed a discharge form but then that became impossible . 

That's lovely post Mark.  So nice to be able to exchange information in a civilized manner. 

Everyone is different, different taste different preference, there isn't one car that fits all. We all look for some attributes that could be different than the next guy, there isn't really a wrong choice, just different choices. 

And yes, doesn't matter how great it is, a Cayman/Boxster will always be the little brother to the 911. There is no arguing on that, even Porsche itself treat them as such. 

And I admit I am a bit biased towards the GT4RS, ever since I first saw the initial prototype at Weissach I fell in love on the concept and dead set on getting one over any variants of 911s. 5 years later I will have one. Think mine had arrived at the dealership but I am away so won't be picking it up till past the new year. It was too bad the car got delayed or else I could have taken it to the Ring in the summer. But I already have some roads that I wanted to take it to inside my province, empty mountain roads😃 But that's gonna be spring time at least, all of those should be covered in snow atm haha.

--

Thanks Whoopsy, Eric, Grant and others. Yes we are all a little different and the world is a better place for it.

I really enjoy this forum. I check it daily.

Its a niche little haven of mostly like minded intelligent folk who enjoy a good banter and of whom I respect all for their various different life experiences, passion and expertise. 

Years ago I was posting on a lot of forums. I think on Rennlist I have over 20 year membership and 14,000+ posts. 

These days this is the only forum I regularly post on. I havent posted on Rennlist for many years.

Wishing you and your loved ones/family a Merry Christmas and an enjoyable festive season. For us down here its BBQ season. The same but not the same LOL!

M

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662500 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401281 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254603 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229247 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59619 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4381 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853566 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761991 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM