Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Thoughts on 997 Cab Seal Grey with Cocoa Int. & Cocoa Top

Can't decide on this combo. Photo from Geneva Auto Show. Too many Seal Grey/Blk/Blk combo's out there, and I really like SEAL GREY. PORSCHE seems to like this combo, it's in their marketing catalog on many pages. But as I haven't seen it in person, having difficulty deciding. Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Thoughts on 997 Cab Seal Grey with Cocoa Int. & Cocoa Top

I like the grey, but I would get it with the blue interior. This was actually my second choice. I decided on the Lapis Blue with grey interior for my 997.

I have seen that car in person and i personally like that combo
    Anyway my 997s is seal/blk/blk and it's not a problem for me if there are a lot with this combo!Check also terracotta interior, it was my second choice

Seal gray looks to me a little boring but cocoa changes the whole substance - especially with a soft top.

a good combo ...
    An even better, but expensive... Gt-silver + cocoa... that's my favourite

But mine will be basaltblack/black

Yes i saw GT silver with Cocoa and it was amazing.
    Very classy

Quote:
    997cab said:
    Can't decide on this combo. Photo from Geneva Auto Show. Too many Seal Grey/Blk/Blk combo's out there, and I really like SEAL GREY. PORSCHE seems to like this combo, it's in their marketing catalog on many pages. But as I haven't seen it in person, having difficulty deciding. Any comments would be appreciated.

It's kinda nice to look at but I wouldn't want to own it. Color is such a personal preference but I guess the reason why there are so many black interiors is it looks the best for most people. All the sport cars I've owned had black interiors. I don't get tired of Black because with each new car comes a different interior. Can't fully describe it but imo black has a deep richness to it that other colors do not. Black (for my eyes) looks the sharpest. And the contrast between black leather and the silver accents in the interior of a 997 looks fantastic. And the way a silver (Artic) exterior looks with a black interior is amazing. The silver exterior really picks up the silver interior pieces. Artic silver goes great with the interior silver. It's especially nice with a convertible. All together the black top and black interior is the way to go. I would never pick one color or another based on how many or how few there are of that color combo. I don't care. I'm the one that has to live with the color combo so I want what looks the BEST.
    All of my prefernces could change in a year or 2 and I might like brown types of interiors better but I doubt it. I really don't like any of the browns or tans for a sports car.

Re: Thoughts on 997 Cab Seal Grey with Cocoa Int. & Cocoa To

Looks interesting and I'd like to see it with the top up. You may get tired of it and it may be tougher for resale. I never seem to tire of black either. It's like having a nice pair of black shoes

Agree with Stradale. Black top/Black interior is the way to go specially on seal grey but again you have to like the the combo. Order what you like ad enjoy the car. There are so few of these cars on the road anyway. I have yet to see a cab on the road.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Agree with Stradale. Black top/Black interior is the way to go specially on seal grey but again you have to like the the combo. Order what you like ad enjoy the car. There are so few of these cars on the road anyway. I have yet to see a cab on the road.

Other than the launch cars, no 997 cabs have made it here yet. If I remember correctly you should have one on the ship that arrives in San Diego on 4/18. That ship should have the first non launch cabs.

2 days for PDI, 2 days for the dealer to wire transfer the money and a day or two for transport. Should see your own car before the end of the month. Me too!

Phil

I too saw the car in person and I think that's a beautiful combo. I took some pictures of the car :

Quote:
    Nico997 said:
    I too saw the car in person and I think that's a beautiful combo. I took some pictures of the car :

Eeeshh!

Now I really don't like it. Brown just doesn't go with a 997. And what's with the fo marble pattern in the leather ?Reminds me of a vinyl couch my folks had in the 70's.

And people, please don't get the "ruffled" seats. It just kills me when I see that in a Porsche.

Thankfully I see it MUCH LESS now with the new 997 seats than in the 996 but so many of the 996's have that "supple" that just kills the interior. It's a high performance sports car not an DeVille. That "ruffled" leather belongs in a Cadillac not a Porsche. Just one guys opinion and you know the saying but it just seems so obvious to me.

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    Eeeshh!

Now I really don't like it. Brown just doesn't go with a 997. And what's with the fo marble pattern in the leather ?Reminds me of a vinyl couch my folks had in the 70's.

The color and texture reminds me of an old couch in the customer waiting room at my uncles Ford dealer.
    It looks like vinyl, not leather. Maybe it is better in person, but it sure looks like vinyl in the photos.

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    Stradale said:
    Eeeshh!

The color and texture reminds me of an old couch in the customer waiting room at my uncles Ford dealer.
    It looks like vinyl, not leather. Maybe it is better in person, but it sure looks like vinyl in the photos.

Phil

It HAS TO look better in person.

Agreed - It does look like vinyl. It has the full leather option but when you put in the marbelized look it cheapens it.

I feel a little bad trash talking Porsche because I love the make so much and because color preference is so subjective but that was my first thought.

You should be getting your car any day now. Any more news on delivery ?

It looks MUCH MUCH better in person, my dealer has a similar Coupe in his showroom. You can hardly see the structure, pictures (especially using flash) aren't really a good method to judge this option.
    It looks very classy in reality, I would definetely choose this combo on an "elegant" car, maybe with Tiptronic. Some people may even add wood too it but I wouldn't because it wouldn't look sportscar-like anymore.

Quote:
    Stradale said:

Agreed - It does look like vinyl. It has the full leather option but when you put in the marbelized look it cheapens it.

I feel a little bad trash talking Porsche because I love the make so much and because color preference is so subjective but that was my first thought.

Last info I had showed the ship arriving in San Diego on 4/18. 2 days for PDI, 2 days for wire transfer of funds from dealer to Porsche and 1 day for delivery. So, around the last week of April I should see my car.

Phil

Quote:
    RC said:
    It looks MUCH MUCH better in person, my dealer has a similar Coupe in his showroom. You can hardly see the structure, pictures (especially using flash) aren't really a good method to judge this option.
    It looks very classy in reality, I would definetely choose this combo on an "elegant" car, maybe with Tiptronic. Some people may even add wood too it but I wouldn't because it wouldn't look sportscar-like anymore.

I REALLY agree about the wood part. imho wood doesn't belong in a Porsche. In a Mercedes, Bently, Rolls Royce... (you get the idea) yes. But not in a Porsche. It's impossible to describe why an individual's prefer's one over the other but for me seeing wood in a Porsche might be the same if someone else saw wood in a modern Ferrari or Lamborghini. For my eyes it just doesn't belong. It's kinda the same for me when I see a brown interior in a Porsche. Or the "ruffled" seats. My mind says something like - there's something obviously wrong with this picture. It's the same kinda thing as if I saw wood or a brown interior in a race car. Whether it be NASCAR or F1. Brown is imo is just not racy. For my eye it's the opposite of what performance is about.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    Stradale said:

Last info I had showed the ship arriving in San Diego on 4/18. 2 days for PDI, 2 days for wire transfer of funds from dealer to Porsche and 1 day for delivery. So, around the last week of April I should see my car.

Phil

That's great.

Were you able to tell from the dates and codes you were given how long it took on the water ?

Quote:
    Stradale said:

That's great.

Were you able to tell from the dates and codes you were given how long it took on the water ?

I have seen info that the voyage takes about 20 days to the west coast. Since the ship left around 3/31 with an ETA of 4/18, that works out about right. I would suspect that a ship to the east coast would be somewhere in the 5 to 7 day range.

Phil

Phil, 4/18 is the the big day for both of us, ha? Hey thanks for provding the breakdown. I should call my dealer and tell him the other dealers are only taking 6 days and push them harder to deliver faster. They are saying expect 2 weeks from the time the boat arrives to delivery which is a lifetime. Counting days now buy getting VERY close

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Phil, 4/18 is the the big day for both of us, ha? Hey thanks for provding the breakdown. I should call my dealer and tell him the other dealers are only taking 6 days and push them harder to deliver faster. They are saying expect 2 weeks from the time the boat arrives to delivery which is a lifetime. Counting days now buy getting VERY close

Are you in So Cal or Nor Cal? We can truly find out which dealer is quicker if you are here in the south with me (Newport Beach Porsche). My salesman said they used to be able to get the car within 4 to 6 days of arrival before Porsche started demanding wire transfer of funds before the cars are released. That step adds a couple of days. Some dealer went out of biz owing Porsche a lot of money, so they want theirs up front now.

I just don't want to hear that my car is delayed because it is in the paint shop at PDI. That might cause me to cancel.

Phil

LOL. I sure don't want to hear the word paint and PDI either. I am in N. Calif close to Sacramento. Nielo porsche is the delaership.

Stradale, there aren't many Cocoa interiors out there yet, but yeah definitely check out the Cocoa in person when you run across one, you still will want to stick with your black for yourself but I guarantee that you will agree that Cocoa is worlds better than pic representation above.

Cocoa is truly low-key, very deep, very saturated black coffee color...doesn't sound attractive in a classical sports car sense, but somehow inexplicably it really works.

Camera flash COMPLETELY distorts the color and richness of Cocoa leather. It is a shame in one resale sense --in that if a 997 owner were to market their car a few years down the road, and a prospective buyer requested interior pics....the pics may undeservedly chill the buyer's enthusiasm, photos bear NO resemblance to the actual color.

Black is cool, had it myself in Ferrari 512BB and 308, BMW M5, BMW M3 ...now in my old age (39) I have developed an affinity for some variety, some saturated colors in leather. ( For instance E46 M3 Cinnamon is nice with a dark carbon black or jet black ext, or think Ferrari tan--cannot be improved upon imho, 997 Sea Blue's got some game....) Cheers.

Quote:
    Damian said:
    Camera flash COMPLETELY distorts the color and richness of Cocoa leather. It is a shame in one resale sense --in that if a 997 owner were to market their car a few years down the road, and a prospective buyer requested interior pics....the pics may undeservedly chill the buyer's enthusiasm, photos bear NO resemblance to the actual color.

That is true. The interior pic I posted is not too good as everyone could see, I am sorry for that. It does not reflect the reality at all, as that combo is really nice when you see it in the flesh. And it is very exclusive.

Quote:
    Damian said:
    Stradale, there aren't many Cocoa interiors out there yet, but yeah definitely check out the Cocoa in person when you run across one, you still will want to stick with your black for yourself but I guarantee that you will agree that Cocoa is worlds better than pic representation above.

Cocoa is truly low-key, very deep, very saturated black coffee color...doesn't sound attractive in a classical sports car sense, but somehow inexplicably it really works.

Black is cool, had it myself in Ferrari 512BB and 308, BMW M5, BMW M3 ...now in my old age (39) I have developed an affinity for some variety, some saturated colors in leather. ( For instance E46 M3 Cinnamon is nice with a dark carbon black or jet black ext, or think Ferrari tan--cannot be improved upon imho, 997 Sea Blue's got some game....) Cheers.

Absolutely right. I was shocked, when I saw DigiCam-pics of cocoa at first, that reddish-brown touch with its marbled pattern.

This colour was a no-no, until I've seen it in person. It's as Damian said, a deep brown, calm colour, which gives the whole interior a dark but warm touch. The overall impression is like black, only warmer. Gives it a very classy look and goes very well with seal grey, as seal grey has a hint of brown in itself. In person you can also hardly notice the marbling.

The best pic of cocoa I've seen so far is the one of TomasoBR:

Quote:
    Damian said:

We've owned a lot of the same cars. And I'm an old guy too - 38. I always try and keep an open mind otherwise I'm the only one to miss out but I couldn't see myself owning a brown interior high performance vehicle. One of the guys I used to drive Vipers with had a brown interior and I don't think I ever got over that image. Browns just not my thing. Even in clothes I don't care for brown. Whether it be dress shoes or leather jackets I always feel good with Black. It's so subjective and it would be really boring if everyone agreed with me or had the same taste because there would be no variations.

Rossi's pics of the Cocoa does indeed look nicer. Reminded me there are Cocoa pics in Porsches brochure. The pics in there of the Cocoa look okay but they kept them very dark. I wouldn't mind having it in an SUV or pickup.

Black tops only. If you really stare at it, any other color eventually looks like a crummy tarp stretched over a framework.

There's a Miata in the neighborhood: I always see it around. Nice car BUT it has a "mature" tan top: looks AWFUL and out of place. Darn non-black things attract too much attention for which they are NOT worthy.

my honest $.02

thats 90% close to what cocoa will look if you see it in person.

Yes , it's good looking cap.. I've seen one like it in the showroom in UAE, it looks way better in real.

That pic comes real close. As I said before, cocoa looks as dark as black (especially as Porsche's black is rather "light" in comparision to black Ferrari interiors for example), only gives it a warmer touch.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781567 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442740 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263436 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261812 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85922 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5968 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881581 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819391 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM