Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2021] Formula 1

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 1.00.36 PM.png

Coolest. F1. Car. Ever.

--

yes very very very cool!

Austin may tell us a lot about who wins the driver's.....  We'll see - and now that MB talking about another engine penalty  for the Winningest Whiner Ever---  maybe Max stands a real chance......

Looking ahead to the 2022 season, I think Ferrari could be the dark horse that could come out on top. Mclaren maybe, but seems like they are a bit busy developing the 2021 car to fight for 3rd in the Championship. 

It's pretty obvious Red Bull is going all in upgrading the 2021 car to help Max win the championship, this year is the weird year where manufacturers have to split budget developing 2021 and 2022 cars, a dollar spent on 2021 means a dollar less for 2022. I don't see how they can field a top car in 2022. 

Mercedes, they are in an interesting position. It's pretty clear their 2021 car has lost the performance advantage over the field, especially the Red Bulls. It is because Red Bull finally caught up? Or are they just jogging instead of running for 2021? Most see it as them fighting all out with Red Bull and duke it out for 2021, and they would both suffers for 2022.

Toto did state before that they aren't doing much to the 2021 car and instead focus on 2022. is he blow smoke or is he telling the truth? Likely it is a combination but more of the later, they keeping the 2021 car good enough and lean on Hamilton's skills and ability to fend off Max in his Red Bull. Think they will have a competitive car for 2022, may not be top dog again but probably good enough to fight for the top spot. 

--

Anyone heading to Austin?

I am sure that Toto is telling the truth... they had a huge advantage in 2020, they didn't know that red bull will close the gap and even surpass that fast... so I can see why they did not develop that car as much. And also it is more important to make a perfect base for the coming years than just an OK one in order to win this WDC WCC at any price. If that is all true its the smartest decision IMO, even if they would lose the championship to Red Bull. 

Looking forward to a fun weekend. Slight chance of rain for Sunday. Will post some pics but I won’t be able to ever match Whoopsy’s commentary. I used to think I was up on F1 goings on but that was ten years ago when they still sounded good. (Did the Tesla guy just say that???)

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 4.26.40 PM.png

So here is something interesting. It's from the F1TV coverage. That's Max giving Lewis the middle finger.

Highlights didn't capture this, only showing the footage of them coming out of the last corner racing down the main straight and what Max said in the radio after. If one goes by that coverage only, one would think Lewis was trying to piss Max off and Max. would comes off as the good guy and Lewis the bad guy.

I went back to individual driver feed and find out the back story. Max was steaming along on the back half of the lap, caught up with Lewis and another car that's in front of Lewis, both queuing up to start a timed lap.

Here is the sequence:

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 4.33.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-22 at 4.33.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-22 at 4.35.06 PM.png

Max basically went off the racing line to cut off Lewis first to get the position. 

He then slow way down to create room for himself before the last corner.

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 4.38.12 PM.png

Just before the last corner Lewis caught him and pass him on the inside, catching Max sleeping. which he then process to get back on the gas to try and stay ahead.

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 4.40.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-22 at 4.40.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-22 at 4.42.43 PM.png

At this point he is never going to make the final corner, not at that speed or position. I am surprised he didn't do his usual thing and crash into Lewis to take him out. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 4.44.05 PM.png

And that's how he ended up way outside of the track, he kept his foot down and drag race Lewis down the main straight.

And for all the talks about Mercedes having more power than the Red Bull. At the start of the straight Max is off track and behind the Mercedes, both drivers' foot flat to the floor. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 4.48.07 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-22 at 4.50.33 PM.png

Just before braking up the hill, Max goes from about 4 ft behind to about 4 ft in front. Gained 8 ft on such a short straight even with comprised traction off the corner exit. Think they actually have more power than the Mercedes. 

And Max actually had the audacity to call Lewis an idiot after losing out at turn 1 and gives Lewis the middle finger.

I also looked at the footage from Lewis's in car camera. He never said a word even when Max cut him off. He just quietly go about his business. 

For all the people that say Lewis is the biggest whiner in F1, he sure is very quiet there. Max, Yuki, and most the grid whine more than Lewis does. He had all the reason in the world to whine on the radio about Max's driving but he didn't. 

Some says a picture says a thousands words. But the back story before and/or after the picture could very well paint a completely different picture and a even better story. 

I first only saw the FP2 highlights, this sequence on on replay. I logged into F1TV to find the whole sequence and voila, it's a completely different situation than how the highlights was portraying. They were only showing the replay of them drag racing down the main straight and what Max said after turn 1, making people think Lewis cut Max off at the other end and did something stupid. It turns out that was completely untrue, fake news, Max was the instigator first and cut Lewis off.

--

Another nice write up. We don’t get that from tv coverage. Thanks!

Interesting

Leawood911:

Another nice write up. We don’t get that from tv coverage. Thanks!

You know me, I never take things on face value as reported. I like to dig a bit deeper to see things.

When this incident was first reported/shown, I was like this is so un-Lewis like. Been watching him since he came on, 14 years and counting, he was never anything less than a gentleman on track, or even off track during interviews, ever. He races hard but fair. But something like this is right up Max's alley however, he had always been IT'S MY TRACK GET THE F OUT OF MY WAY kind of guy, and so I had to scroll back and watch the whole sequence. 

Max just finished a timed lap, wasn't good, engineers told him to recharge battery to go again. He circle around, and engineer came back again telling him Leclerc is going up fast on a time lap, Leclerc passed him, then Lewis who was right in front of him in a queue. For one reason or another, Max feel like he doesn't want to follow Lewis and cut inside to cut off Lewis. Lewis saw him, let him through, didn't say a thing on his radio. Kept following Max until the last bit of straight before the last corner, where Max slowed way down to create room, Lewis wasn't having any of that and re-passees Max on the inside of the last corner, when Max saw Lewis along side and passing, he suddenly guns it again to try and stay ahead, but he wasn't in a position to do so, so he ran wide out of the turn. That's when he decided to gun it and race Lewis down the straight to try and regain that spot. He lost. What do he do? He gives Lewis the finger and complaint on the radio. Typical Max behaviour, which we all thought were long gone, history, and he has matured already and is ready to be a world champ. Guess we are wrong. He still acted like a spoiled brat. 

You go enjoy the weekend at Austin. The BBQ are especially good there. 

--

However, when you are from Kansas City, then the BBQ in Texas is a pretty severe downgrade.

Gladstone:

However, when you are from Kansas City, then the BBQ in Texas is a pretty severe downgrade.

Hungrily agree.

LH vs Max (AKA Kamikazi Smiley)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOsCT5i0SEo

Gladstone:

SmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

--

Thans @Whoopsy for bringing light into thar story! 👍🏻
    MV is a real brat and I do hope that Sir Lewis will not only win the WC but teach that „always angry Dutch“ kid more lesions of how to behave.

GO LEWIS!!!!!

As expected, Red Bull have the much faster car and Max got pole. Despite all the smoke Horner's been blowing the whole week. 

Hamilton drove the wheels off the Mercedes and barely piped Perez for 2nd. 

At one point I thought Perez would retain the pole position. As reported on air, it would seems Perez had been discarding the default car configuration from Red Bull, which was from Max's setup, to have his own baseline. Seems it's working. 

Bottas is going to have a 5 place drop so won't be a factor in the race, can he even pass the 2 Ferraris on track? 

Talking about the Ferraris, they have a very good strong showing, hope they can keep the form tomorrow.

McLarens are just behind, Almost there, but seems their cars are just that little bit off the ideal setup. 

So it will be Hamilton vs 2 Red Bulls tomorrow, reversal of fortune of previous years, where it's Max against 2 Mercedes. 

Hamilton has the inside line, Max has a 8m head start, will Max try to crash into Hamilton again in turn 1? Not a bad option if he can take both cars out, that would means he preserves his championship lead. Actually that would be lovely as that means Perez might win. 

--

HAM starts on the dirty side, guess Max will have the first corner for his own.

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

It's really a pity that RedBull is so much better than Merc, poor Lewis!

Hopefully he'll still make it, he's just a brilliant driver

FFD59C36-C3CF-44D1-8276-D01EA7952223.jpeg
    Whoopsy:
    Gladstone:

SmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

To be clear he brought my friends in Texas about $200 worth of bbq from KC. 

Now that's a wonderful spot to watch on top of the tower!!

And I am from Canada, any American BBQ is gonna be better than anything here 

--

Wow, what a start!!!

The McLarens battling the Ferraris. What a sight.

A bit of a poor start by Max. Let's see how he can recover later in the race.

--

why is max slow?  from 6 sec lead to 3? lap 29, tires went much faster than ham?  pit now

bull got rhythm of stops right and max managed the tyres last bit, nice Job max and team.  so much for the BS about bull being so much faster-not .8 sec

Great race and love this track, one of the best in the F1 calendar.

Great drive by Hamilton, I still think that Mercedes did a huge mistake with the strategy (again). The start was just great. This track gives space for such great high and low speed wheel to wheel battles.  I think Hamilton squired all out of the Mercedes’ today…. Where was Bottas again??? But RedBulll was the faster car today… 

Great race LOVE COTA wink

Great GP to watch, got a bit exciting towards to end to see the supposed battle for the lead, but sort of anticlimax as the battle didn't happened. 

The Red Bull have enough speed to stay ahead. Great drive by Max to not use up his tires and saving up enough to stay ahead. They were the faster car in sector 2 and Max used that to his absolute advantage to keep Hamilton out of DRS range. 

As usual, Red Bull got their calls absolutely spot on. Mercedes was ok. Maybe they could have bring in Hamilton a lap or 2 earlier, but that's just splitting hair. Mercedes never really have the outright speed to blow by the Red Bull, Look at Bottas, he was having major trouble even trying to get ahead of a Ferrari, and that's a not too fast a car. 

Perez drove a perfect teammate race, nondescript 3rd pace finish. The only excitement from him was when he yield to Max at the start after turn 2.

But man, the Ferrari/McLaren battle is heating up. it's so much fun watching those 4 cars battling. More so than at the front between Max and Hamilton. 

Alonso. too funny he complaints others on passing him going outside the track, yet he still doing it himself. His wheel to wheel with Kimi was lovely. 

Tsunoda really has some textbook defensive driving. He isn't archy bargy, but rely more on car positioning. It frustrating seeing other cars stuck behind him, but also enjoyable watching him do defensive driving clinics. 

COTA just isn't a Williams circuit. Russell was nowhere to be found. 

Is Ricciardo finally found his form towards the end of the season? He gapped Norris pretty badly in the end. 

It's too bad the driver title fight isn't over yet, or else it would have been a great gesture for Red Bull to let Perez win his own GP in a couple week's time. Mexico is another circuit that Red Bull will have an advantage, so a front row lockup is more than likely. 

--

Definitely a spectators’ race with the anticipation of a battle at the end.  Schumacher helped Versteppan gain that extra gap through the DRS detection zone.  The rest is the season is poised as potential one of the best season for F1 in recent history.  

CGX car nut:

Definitely a spectators’ race with the anticipation of a battle at the end.  Schumacher helped Versteppan gain that extra gap through the DRS detection zone.  The rest is the season is poised as potential one of the best season for F1 in recent history.  

Weird that you didn't say it's a boring and predictable race like you did with the last race, could it be because of Max won today?

Using your logic, the top 4 finished as how they qualified, that's boring to you. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689138 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408981 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255660 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234903 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65479 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857821 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773792 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM