Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife

Pilot:

Could it be that the bad guys may have planned everything in advance using information from forums like this one and other social media sites?

Last week end, there was the 60th birthday of the Nurburgring Porsche club. There was probably ove 500 hundreds Porsche that got dispatched a bit everywhere during the evening. 

I have been told that very often the thefts happen during these big event week ends. 

Nothing indicated where I would stay. Or did it ?  Now I might start to get paranoid ....

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    Pilot:

Could it be that the bad guys may have planned everything in advance using information from forums like this one and other social media sites?

Last week end, there was the 60th birthday of the Nurburgring Porsche club. There was probably ove 500 hundreds Porsche that got dispatched a bit everywhere during the evening. 

I have been told that very often the thefts happen during these big event week ends. 

Nothing indicated where I would stay. Or did it ?  Now I might start to get paranoid ....

You didn't disclose that here at least.

But honestly, there are only so many hotels around the Ring, most of them is outdoor parking only and your car's colour really pops..........

A cloned key is one possibility, like someone said, BMW keys are very easy to clone, Porsche might also be. My gf's mother had her X3 broken into with a cloned key 7 times last year at home, not joking, 7 times. Even with a newly programmed key. They didn't steal her car, they keep checking the interior to find stuff to steal.

Using a recovery truck with a crane to lift your car straight off the road is another possibility. it will only take 3 mins or so and having a Porsche on the back of a recovery truck isn't that unusual around the area either. I mean the alarm does sound but most people are used to car alarm sounding at night and mostly ignored it already. 

--

Such a shame surprise

I’ve never had a car stolen but certainly remember the pain and feeling of violation from having them broken into and valuable stuff ripped out. Can just hope for a satisfactory resolution with the insurance really, and then focus on moving on from it.

I doubt it was pre-arranged. There are multiple GT and RS cars parked outside in the area most days of the week.

Nice photo at Breidscheid.. lovely light.

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

I hope you don't need to fight the insurance company. 

When I had my accident in my Panigale R motorcycle back in 2017, dealing with my insurance was a nightmare (I've since switched to a new one). 

The Panigale R is a special model (kind of like a GT3 if you will), >10k more expensive and rarer than the Panigale S (there's also a regular Panigale).... When the insurance company couldn't find an R model in the second hand market of Luxembourg and the surrounding countries, they took the average value of the S model instead. I still remember when a representative showed up in my house with a printed picture of a Panigale S. I couldn't believe it. Then I had to convince the guy who did the market research that the R was a special model, and that used prices (with same mileage I put on my bike) would still be above new S prices, also because R was limited and you couldn't order a new one anymore. Thereupon he answered "I think someone who is paying this much money for a bike, would rather buy a new Panigale S than a used Panigale R!" ... mail

Really bad memories of that time... Needless to say, that I lost in the end, because I was also in a bad shape, physically and morally, and really couldn't give a darn.

I sincerely hope that you're having more luck!

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Gnil:

Won’t post pics of my RS . It got stolen last night in front of the hotel. cryingsurprise

Damn Eric,so sad to read this…incredibile.

hope you get the right money from your insurance,,don’t know if to hope to find the car…

Smiley

--

991.2 GT3RS,Cayenne Coupè Hybrid.

WTF! cheeky I can’t believe it and had to read your post over again. That is terrible! I hope all gets sorted with the insurance.

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Disconcerting, really. Was in Hockenheim Monday and wasn't at ease leaving my car at the hotel...

Good advice from Carlos and Gauss higher. Been in that situation too. Do hope for a 'decent' outcome.

Whoopsy:

But honestly, there are only so many hotels around the Ring, most of them is outdoor parking only and your car's colour really pops..........

A cloned key is one possibility, like someone said, BMW keys are very easy to clone, Porsche might also be. My gf's mother had her X3 broken into with a cloned key 7 times last year at home, not joking, 7 times. Even with a newly programmed key. They didn't steal her car, they keep checking the interior to find stuff to steal.

Using a recovery truck with a crane to lift your car straight off the road is another possibility. it will only take 3 mins or so and having a Porsche on the back of a recovery truck isn't that unusual around the area either. I mean the alarm does sound but most people are used to car alarm sounding at night and mostly ignored it already. 

I did not  mention I would go to the Ring on any social media nor here.

The car car stolen between 3 and 5 AM. A recovery truck lifting a car up at that time would of been very strange. It car parked in a street with private homes. But then, if it takes only 3 min Smiley 

During the whole season you have nice cars parked outside in the different areas around the Ring. Mine was indeed in a spot that is very noticeable. But has been there many many times, and most of the time there are other cars like mine parked there.  Now of course I would never do the again. Only in secured car parks would I leave it. 

--

There is no camera available that is even looking at the property perimeter or closed to the street or a sport where the car must pass through?

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

I did not  mention I would go to the Ring on any social media nor here.

The car car stolen between 3 and 5 AM. A recovery truck lifting a car up at that time would of been very strange. It car parked in a street with private homes. But then, if it takes only 3 min Smiley 

During the whole season you have nice cars parked outside in the different areas around the Ring. Mine was indeed in a spot that is very noticeable. But has been there many many times, and most of the time there are other cars like mine parked there.  Now of course I would never do the again. Only in secured car parks would I leave it. 

Strange yes, but how many would be up at 3-5am in the morning looking out the window?

Now if it is indeed a recovery truck job, probably a 3 men crew, after parking the truck, it takes about a minute to swing the boom over, another minute to lift and swing it back. With 2 guys securing attachment points to 4 wheels, it's very doable to do 2 wheels each within 60 seconds. They aren't regular tow truck drivers who work alone and care about damaging wheels and such.

The moment the car is lifted the alarm should start sounding, and even if the car continue to sound the alarm on the truck and driving on the road, most would just assumed an impounded car getting removed from parking illegally. Not many if at all would think a crime had just been committed. 

It's probably more noticeable to people if they started the car and drive off, our ears are tuned more into cold starts of sports cars, and tuning out car alarms and 99% of those are false alarms and most sort of ignores it anyways, but would peek out the window to see who started what car and drives off so early. 

In any case, good luck with dealign with the insurance company. 

--

the-missile:

There is no camera available that is even looking at the property perimeter or closed to the street or a sport where the car must pass through?

The house right in front has a camera but not filming the street enough to see something. Don't think the cops went to every house where the car could have passed. 

--

There are 2 roads going out of the hotel. It should not be utterly complicated to see at least what was the direction of the car on the way out no idea how the police will react on such cases, they may have similar car jacking multiple times per day...

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

I agree that at least on traffic cams they should see who drove in and out of Nürburg at night. A covered trailer entering and exiting at that point of night should raise a few pointers as to where the car was headed at least. It all depends on how seriously they take the investigation of course. 

I know the camera of the famed Tankstelle films the access road for example, that could be a source of info:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CTrCMfujeQZ/?utm_medium=copy_link

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

Just read about it, so sorry to hear what happened to you. Smiley

I didn't know they started to steal GT3 RS now, this is not exactly a car you can easily hide. I still believe they put it in a truck or on a trailer, this car is too flashy to drive around in it. 

The worst part is the insurance stuff but maybe you are lucky, some insurances pay the real replacement value.

Not sure however how they are going to establish this.

I had a similar discussion with my insurance guy a week ago: My Performante is worth slightly over 250k EUR right now according to my dealer, with 15000 km and two years old. New price (after discount) was 253k EUR. Smiley My insurance guy said he has no clue how much my insurance would pay in case of theft. There are so many variables here with such cars, especially when the value of the old car is that high and the car isn't available anymore.

What are you planning to do? Getting the new GT3 RS? Talk to your dealer and they should talk to Porsche. Maybe they can get you an additional production slot because your old car was stolen. Sometimes they do stuff like that to help out longtime customers.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:

Me too,just seen this. Tragic. We all try and rationalise these things in that it is a loss of an asset but not life etc, but it is still deeply painful nonetheless. So sorry for your pain @ Gnil, and now the hassle of the insurance.

Reminds me sadly of Farmer and his GT2 RS. I don’t think they allocated him another build slot. 

Leawood911:

Reminds me sadly of Farmer and his GT2 RS. I don’t think they allocated him another build slot. 

It was another Swede. Mike's GT2RS is collecting dust as he is always in the Bentley.

--

I have never been to the ring, but i would think hotels there should offer proper security for parked cars. Bare minimum. Sorry. If they have to install cameras and have 24 hour security, so be it….

RC:

I didn't know they started to steal GT3 RS now, this is not exactly a car you can easily hide. I still believe they put it in a truck or on a trailer, this car is too flashy to drive around in it. 

The worst part is the insurance stuff but maybe you are lucky, some insurances pay the real replacement value.

I had a similar discussion with my insurance guy a week ago: My Performante is worth slightly over 250k EUR right now according to my dealer, with 15000 km and two years old. New price (after discount) was 253k EUR. Smiley My insurance guy said he has no clue how much my insurance would pay in case of theft. There are so many variables here with such cars, especially when the value of the old car is that high and the car isn't available anymore.

What are you planning to do? Getting the new GT3 RS? Talk to your dealer and they should talk to Porsche. Maybe they can get you an additional production slot because your old car was stolen. Sometimes they do stuff like that to help out longtime customers.

Found out that some of our insurances now offer 5 or even 7 years real replacement value when a car is totaled. (they pay the exact amount you paid the car) . But I don't have that in my contract. 

Plan is now Smiley

--

crayphile:

We all try and rationalise these things in that it is a loss of an asset but not life etc, but it is still deeply painful nonetheless. 

Spot on !  A weird feeling. 

--

Gnil:
    RC:

Found out that some of our insurances now offer 5 or even 7 years real replacement value when a car is totaled. (they pay the exact amount you paid the car) . But I don't have that in my contract. 

Plan is now Smiley

I have that in my policy but it was only for the first 4 years or something, after that it's market value, i.e. you look at what the prices are in the second hand market for the model and ask for a similar amount.

But you have to look for a company that offers this specifically, all the rest of the policies are just book value of anything happens which is in reality only a fraction of the real value of the car. In the Spanish Porsche forum we have an insurance broker that specializes in Porsche and is able to get this type policy for the members, only one that I know of here, and it's the policy this guy that fights against insurances recommended me.

Carlos from Spain:
    I have that in my policy but it was only for the first 4 years or something, after that it's market value, i.e. you look at what the prices are in the second hand market for the model and ask for a similar amount.

That's the one to have. It looks like here competition between compagnies is pushing toward these kind of offers now.

Many years ago compagnie would ensure track. Then they all stoped. Then one started to offer track coverage again included and now quite a few do it again. 

--

Leawood911:

Talking about Farmer, where is he?

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

Carlos from Spain:
    Gnil:
    RC:

Plan is now Smiley

But you have to look for a company that offers this specifically, all the rest of the policies are just book value of anything happens which is in reality only a fraction of the real value of the car. In the Spanish Porsche forum we have an insurance broker that specializes in Porsche and is able to get this type policy for the members, only one that I know of here, and it's the policy this guy that fights against insurances recommended me.

In London, Porsche offers up a top-up policy which will pay the difference between new price and insurance value if something happens. Costs like GBP650 for the first three years which is always a good box to tick.

Do you have to wait 30 days before your insurance company negotiates payment? 

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

Changing the focus of this thread a bit......

--

WTF??

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS :)

indecision

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Chicago Police last evening recovered a stolen 992 cabriolet.  Surprising the car looks to have sustained little damage and was found abandoned in the South Loop district, so occasionally these stories have a pleasant ending.  

https://twitter.com/ReynoldsTaft/status/1449231821166817281/photo/1

AMG drivers around here are a menace

--

There is no try. Just do.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661044 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    400878 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254555 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    228963 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59301 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4372 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853266 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761318 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM