Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: POLL: Cayman, good choice for the upcoming Boxster deriv

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:People who spend time criticizing or complaing about a particular brand or product are normally the ones who are most loyal to that brand.

Then Nick must be THE most loyal Porsche fan here

He is! He just hates to admit it

RC,

Hey I'm not trying to be irritating, but Porsche likely feels that they don't NEED to win the support of the type of customers that post in this forum. Most anyone that spends their free time on this forum is already a confirmed Porsche fanatic. Porsche can be fairly confident that you will at least test drive one of their products the next time you buy a car (or SUV). It's exactly the people that you mention in your post that represent the largest marketing challenge and the largest untapped, potential profit base for Porsche as a company. Can't understand the difference between a pepper and a native American? No worries as long as your credit's good and your neighbors think the "Cheyenne" is a "cool truck." I have to imagine that at some level the philosophy driving Porsche's marketing is "The hard core Porsche fans are buying our products anyway, it's the poseurs we really need to get our hands on."

RC, I'm sorry Porsche is not treating you better, but you must realize that your forum supports their confirmed, enthusiast customers. If anything, forums like rennteam.com may potentially make the audience Porsche's marketing is targeted toward more likely to ask difficult questions and think about issues that Porsche would rather they ignore (stuff that we periodically complain about - high prices of options, inadequate hp increases, RMS failures, whatever).

If it's any consolation to you this problem is not specific to you as a person or to Porsche as a company. I suspect there is a sizable group of employees at Porsche who remember what the values of the firm were 20 years ago, and are uncomfortable with the current management's different goals. My friends who work at international firms in other industries feel these same conflicts between their personal ideology regarding the company and the ideology the company projects via its marketing.

The work you and the moderators do is a tremendous benefit to those of us that spend our time reading this board, and I hope that at least some of us thank you periodically for making this something we all enjoy doing. But I hope that you don't expect too much from Porsche as a company for your efforts at rennteam, because in the short term you make their job more difficult. Of course, in the long term, you make them a healthier company that can more completely dominate their niche in the auto market, but they will attribute that to their OWN hard work at Porsche, not you, the moderators or the posters.

Anyway, this is one of my very facvorite places on the net, and I am very glad you spend so much effort on it. I hope you continue to do it for many years.

mcdelaug

Very interesting thoughts McDelaug

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    RC,

Hey I'm not trying to be irritating, but Porsche likely feels that they don't NEED to win the support of the type of customers that post in this forum. Most anyone that spends their free time on this forum is already a confirmed Porsche fanatic. Porsche can be fairly confident that you will at least test drive one of their products the next time you buy a car (or SUV). It's exactly the people that you mention in your post that represent the largest marketing challenge and the largest untapped, potential profit base for Porsche as a company. Can't understand the difference between a pepper and a native American? No worries as long as your credit's good and your neighbors think the "Cheyenne" is a "cool truck." I have to imagine that at some level the philosophy driving Porsche's marketing is "The hard core Porsche fans are buying our products anyway, it's the poseurs we really need to get our hands on."

RC, I'm sorry Porsche is not treating you better, but you must realize that your forum supports their confirmed, enthusiast customers. If anything, forums like rennteam.com may potentially make the audience Porsche's marketing is targeted toward more likely to ask difficult questions and think about issues that Porsche would rather they ignore (stuff that we periodically complain about - high prices of options, inadequate hp increases, RMS failures, whatever).

If it's any consolation to you this problem is not specific to you as a person or to Porsche as a company. I suspect there is a sizable group of employees at Porsche who remember what the values of the firm were 20 years ago, and are uncomfortable with the current management's different goals. My friends who work at international firms in other industries feel these same conflicts between their personal ideology regarding the company and the ideology the company projects via its marketing.

The work you and the moderators do is a tremendous benefit to those of us that spend our time reading this board, and I hope that at least some of us thank you periodically for making this something we all enjoy doing. But I hope that you don't expect too much from Porsche as a company for your efforts at rennteam, because in the short term you make their job more difficult. Of course, in the long term, you make them a healthier company that can more completely dominate their niche in the auto market, but they will attribute that to their OWN hard work at Porsche, not you, the moderators or the posters.

Anyway, this is one of my very facvorite places on the net, and I am very glad you spend so much effort on it. I hope you continue to do it for many years.

mcdelaug

Mcdelaug,

First of all, on behalf of RC (he's currently on vacation) thank you very much for the kind words, but for my part, it's RC who does all the hard work, I'm just toddling along!
    This is very interesting subject you've pickep up on there.
    Actually, I've discussed the issue thouroughly with my friends Ron and Carlos and we agreed that, we (Rennteam and other Porsche forum members) represents maybe what, 1, possible 2% of Porsche clientele, in other words, a drop in the ocean.
    The way I see this is I don't expect any feedback from Porsche, as RC says, they might monitor this forum, maybe, but I don't think it has any impact anyway.
    I use this forum for myself, because I love Porsche and sports cars in general, anyone hoping that Porsche will answer our wishes is mistaken I think.
    For what it's worth, Porsche product line up is already frozen for the next 8 years anyway. They probably know right what the power of the 911 Gen 998 will be (plus or minus 5% IMHO).
    All this to say that I admire your post and agree with it 110%.
    One has to remember that this is 2005, the time of small INDEPENDANT handmade car companies is over (except in the UK, thank you Britain!) but if you look at the big picture, and if you want to stay profitable, you have to move on to mass market and that means, SUV, four doors sedan, etc etc etc.
    If Porsche develops the Cayman, it's because they can, and it doesn't matter if we don't like it, because the boys have done their homework, and it will sell.
    I too like you, am dubious as to who will buy this car but ultimately, I let Porsche surprise me (again! and again! and again!)
    The bottom line is Porsche's goal is NOT is to build great sports cars anymore, it is TO MAXIMISE SHAREHOLDER VALUES and NOTHING else.
    Sad for most of us on this forum, but true. I personally don't mind, because the end justifies the means. Keep the great cars coming on!

Fanch.

Re: POLL: Cayman, good choice for the upcoming Boxster derivate?

There is a simple reason for why they didn't name it Boxster Coupe. The name Boxster is the result of someone's play with the words boxer and roadster - hence Boxster. And since it's no longer a roadster that name is out of the question.

I'm not very fond of the name Cayman, hopefully it will grow on me.

Quote:
    There is a simple reason for why they didn't name it Boxster Coupe. The name Boxster is the result of someone's play with the words boxer and roadster - hence Boxster. And since it's no longer a roadster that name is out of the question.

so it should be named boxupé then

Re: Very interesting thoughts McDelaug

Fanch:

It sounds to me like you have a negative attitude towards the Cayman even before it's launched.
    Porsche has one of the strongest brands on the market today, but if they want to survive they have to sell cars - and lots of them. I think we can agree on that.
    When they launched the Boxster I was one of the people who said it wasn't a real Porsche; today I love it and wouldn't even think twice about buying a 911 convertible instead of a Boxster - if I for some reason wanted a convertible.

You say you have doubts about who will buy the Cayman. Well, let me tell you who: I will. Why? Because it will probably be the greatest driving machine Porsche has built since the 968. Don't get me wrong, I love the 911, but if you're looking for a great drive - like I am - then I bet you the Cayman will even top the 911. Yes, the Cayman S lacks 60 horsepowers compared to a C2S, but it has a big advantadge by being mid-engined - something I will find very rewarding an early sunday morning on a back road somewhere. =)

Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    Fanch:

It sounds to me like you have a negative attitude towards the Cayman even before it's launched.
    Porsche has one of the strongest brands on the market today, but if they want to survive they have to sell cars - and lots of them. I think we can agree on that.
    When they launched the Boxster I was one of the people who said it wasn't a real Porsche; today I love it and wouldn't even think twice about buying a 911 convertible instead of a Boxster - if I for some reason wanted a convertible.

You say you have doubts about who will buy the Cayman. Well, let me tell you who: I will. Why? Because it will probably be the greatest driving machine Porsche has built since the 968. Don't get me wrong, I love the 911, but if you're looking for a great drive - like I am - then I bet you the Cayman will even top the 911. Yes, the Cayman S lacks 60 horsepowers compared to a C2S, but it has a big advantadge by being mid-engined - something I will find very rewarding an early sunday morning on a back road somewhere. =)

You are right, not only bc it'll be mid engined, it will also be considerably lighter than the 911.
    Technically and from a driving perspective, it'll be a fantastic driving tool.
    I am not negative at all towards the Cayman, sorry if that is the impression you got from my post.
    Like I wrote, the Porsche boys have done their homework, I just hope they'll get it right and that the car will sell.
    Congratulations to you in advance JohnJohn!
    I would personally be tempted, but I admit it, I'd rather have a 911, for it's racing pedigree and its image, I know, it's a bit vain and conceed it.
    Now seriously, a Cayman S with the engine of the Carrera S, sport chassis and mechanical LSD, I would be the first to buy it, sadly, for marketing reasons, I don't think it'll happen.

Let's not rule anything out in advance. Although, I'm pretty sure there will never be a Cayman on sale in the configuration you mentioned, but I've heard rumours about an RS- or clubsport-version of the Cayman. Surely we can expect that Porsche (in time) will launch an even more powerful version than the Cayman S. Wouldn't you say??
    I wish they would give it the same number of hp as a 911, but that'll never happen because that would make it a rival with the 911 over customers. My guess is that we will see some kind of performance version of the Cayman, probably with the same 3,4 liter engine but they'll raise it to about 310 hp. And if that's not enough for you I'm sure Ruf will create something very interesting of the Cayman when they get their hands on it.

does anyone remember the Stola GTS boxster coupe based on the 986? It was doing the rounds in all the car magazines about 2-3 yrs ago. It'll be interesting to see how close to the cayman it is.

Here's the link to the autoexpress article on the Stola GTS:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/previews/35519/stola_gts.html

Ron and wild speed's lines have got to be the funniest i have read this year. i cant stop laughing!!

i ordered the coxster LW RS sucker... even tho' it looks ugleee

excuse me i'm french and i don't understant everything
    i find cayman is a good name for the boxster coupé
    but what mean cayman in english?
    why are you laughing about that?

Mareuil,
    a cayman is a kind of crocodile... of the spesies that live a lot in california. But also, it sounds a lot like gay-man. A bad name for a homosexual.
    -Joost-

Maybe it would have been better if Porsche had used the correct spelling:

Quote:
    From Oxford English Dictionary:
    caiman
    /kaymn/ (also cayman)

* noun a tropical American reptile similar to an alligator.

- ORIGIN Carib.

ok
    thank you

Quote:
    Atlantis said:
    Maybe it would have been better if Porsche had used the correct spelling:

Quote:
    From Oxford English Dictionary:
    caiman
    /kaymn/ (also cayman)

* noun a tropical American reptile similar to an alligator.

- ORIGIN Carib.

Or just maybe Porsche used the Webster English dictionary:
    Quote:
    Main Entry: cay.man
    variant of Porsche Boxster

Re: POLL: Cayman, good choice for the upcoming Boxster derivate?

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    "Cayman" gay man.

Cayman, Gayman -- who gives a crap. i always forget how people have such small minds. if a homophobic [censored] squeals the word gayman at the car -- who cares!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM