Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The 997S wouldnt start today... got it flatbedded!!!

So, seeings how here in Ohio the weather was about 70 degrees and sunny I thought that the 997S could use a few miles! I called my dad to get permission and went out to start it, nothing happens, not even the windows went down like they should to open/close the door.

So the battery is dead, after only sitting for 6 or 7 days! I call roadside assistance, they dispatch a guy over (he made it over in 20min!)

Since the porsche has no manual hood latch, we had to first take the fuse cover off (its by the pedals) give that fuse power, open the hood then power up the battery from the guys truck, after several tries we cant get the car started. We try his little generator too, that doesnt do it.

So we call in the flatbed and get it taken to the dealer for probably a new battery, also we are gonna finally get the rear right tail light fixed (wiring problem) and we need to check for the recall thing because we got that letter from PCNA.

Overall im really disapointed, it was a bueatiful day and it was really sad to see the 997S carted off on a flatbed

But, oh well im hoping to pick it up tomorrow.. depending on the recall deal i guess! I suppose I will keep you guys updated on that recall deal.

battery dead after a week or so... thats pretty sad

* i still love the car!

Re: The 997S wouldnt start today... got it flatbedded!!!

I've herd that they need a battery tender if they're sitting for any length of time. You can pick one up pretty cheap. Good luck with the repairs.

even for a week, it has sat longer than that before!

Maybe the difference is due to whether you arm your alarm system or not. I've had mine sit for over 2 weeks and had no problems starting it up.

i guess i should see how to arm/disarm the system.

Your key fob button should arm it.

Did you know Porsche have some kind of battery charging system that can be retrofitted to the car. This allows you to plug your car into the mains when the battery's flat. Dealer tried to sell me one pre delivery, but as I haven't had a flat battery for years I declined... (I haven't owned a Porsche before either)

The battery gets drained VERY fast if you leave the key (even turned off) in the contact.
    Another reason for a drained battery may be a charging phone and/or for example a charging iPod.

You should definetely get this piece of technology, the Charge-o-mat II from Porsche.
    Part number is 955 044 900 17, if your car has no cigarette lighter, you also need an adapter (avaílable from Porsche too). Look at the picture. I had this thing connected to my car while I was in the US on vacation for almost three weeks and my car started at the first turn of the key.

Quote:
    RC said:
    The battery gets drained VERY fast if you leave the key (even turned off) in the contact.

Does anyone leave the key on their car's contact when the car's not running?

Quote:
    Fanch said:

My parents did this for a while, lucky them, their car didn't drain power because of that. If you have a closed garage with an alarm system, leaving the key in the car isn't really a problem, especially in Germany.
    None of my Porsches has the key inside and all are closed. I don't trust closed garages and alarm systems can always be tampered with. The best protection for my 997 is actually how I parked it: I parked it in the back of the garage, any thief would need to get the car backwards(!) through a pretty narrow "door" with only 3 cm distance to each side of the walls. And two other cars are parked behind this "door". No chance for a thief, better than any alarm system.

Why can't Porsche just put a bigger battery in the car ?

It sounds ridiculous. Any car should start after a week. For a 100k car, it just should not happen.

It seems to be a common problem with many modern cars, no matter what the cost. But, I agree with you, it shouldn't happen, especially at 100k. Modern electronics stay on all the time and have a continuous drain on the battery. I don't know what the best answer is but a reasonable solution is long overdue. Automotive engineers are failing us here.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    It seems to be a common problem with many modern cars, no matter what the cost. But, I agree with you, it shouldn't happen, especially at 100k. Modern electronics stay on all the time and have a continuous drain on the battery. I don't know what the best answer is but a reasonable solution is long overdue. Automotive engineers are failing us here.

Sorry, but it would surprise me if the above mentioned reasons would've caused the battery to drain that fast in such a short amount of time!

In fact most modern car have a safety system that shuts of the power before the battery drains too much to start the engine, e.g. when you keep the interior light on!
    I wonder why this didn't happen in this case!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

Not me. I sleep with my key! Well, I would if I slept!

Quote:
    RC said:You should definetely get this piece of technology, the Charge-o-mat II from Porsche.

Does that thingie work with cars other than porsches?
    How much does it cost?

RC, two things:
    - I've been told that the problem with that device is that you obviously need a plug near your car.
    My car seats in a big parking, although I have an allocated parking space, no plug. So can't use.
    But say I could, how does it work? I mean presumably, you have to leave your window opened or something for the wire to pass right? So you can't lock your car, otherwise, the alarm would go off?
    - In terms of power output in the 997, where is it? on the 996, it's next to the PCM, can't see it on the 997, is it in the rear center console? The cab version has an additional one next to the passenger footwell, it is also the case for the coupe. I wonder where would be the best place to plug in my Roadangel device, thanks.

The batter in the 997 is pretty big already. I like the way its mounted in the middle of the body for weight distribution.

Quote:
    Sorry, but it would surprise me if the above mentioned reasons would've caused the battery to drain that fast in such a short amount of time!

In fact most modern car have a safety system that shuts of the power before the battery drains too much to start the engine, e.g. when you keep the interior light on!
    I wonder why this didn't happen in this case!

I have personal experience with current Mercedes and BMW's that have had this problem. Fortunately my Cayenne has not. Yes, in many cases there is safeguard circuitry that is designed to prevent this, but it happens anyway.

must be around 115 euro i think,not expensive

That's a neat looking unit.
    I've heard batteries lose something like 2% of their life for every day they sit and in colder weather it's more. Sitting for 1 week shouldn't be a problem though so sorry to hear Andrew's story. I have a small wire attached to the battery in my Ferrari. I attach it to a battery tender. Also have 3 motorcycles which sit during the winter on trickle charge. I've found this companies products work great.

http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11&osCsid=10e4947fac83b82bf3155eb6e7af6ed8

I have a question.. Lets say youre waxing youre car and you have the key in the ignition turned to the accessories side hearing that nice new Bose stereo as you wax, polish, and clean your car. Will the battery go ka-put on you after a few hours. I ask because I waxed and detailed my pops Escalade for his birthday. I was listening to some tunes and the battery went south somewhere, toast, 5000, gone. My first car a 1969 Chevelle never did this nor any other car. Soo what to do to avoid the power drain?? I agree seems really shi**y for a car that is in this price range.

thanks for the replies, i will look into getting that battery thing from porsche!

Oh, i called the dealer, its about done (tail light-battery) but we do have the RECALL! That really sucks, does it have to be done ASAP, i guess it could potentially cause engine failure, so i would suppose it needs to be done

I have left my 996 for periods up to 4 weeks with the alarm on and everything, and it ALWAYS started at the first turn of the key. I will be really dissappointed if I can't leave the 997 closed with the alarm on for more than 7 days

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I have left my 996 for periods up to 4 weeks with the alarm on and everything, and it ALWAYS started at the first turn of the key. I will be really dissappointed if I can't leave the 997 closed with the alarm on for more than 7 days

Same for me Carlos, I have left my 996 for close to 6 weeks once, and it was fine.
    Now having said that, I had to change the battery recently, after over a year of very seldom useage unfortunately.
    But I'm with you here,
    if the battery can only last for a week, that's pretty poor.
    One solution is to ask your dealer to install a "coupe circuit", a button mounted on the dashboard that disconnects the battery if you leave your car for a long time.
    If course, that means it has to stay in a safe place, and also, when you reconnect the battery, that means you have to input the radio code again, input the time on the clock, etc.... The radio stations however are stored somehow in my radio unit.
    Or the other solution if you're away for a long time is to have someone you trust to take it for a spin every 10 days for about an hour.

RC's suggestion of the battery maintainer / trickle charger is a good one that I use myself. My car was off the road for about 6 weeks due to snow and frigid temperatures here. Took it out last weekend and it started first turn of the key.

its not like this was the first time it sat for a week, it has sat longer than that, that is why this is so weird!

So was it the battery or the alarm? What recall?

the battery was drained, we got a recall letter from porsche, i think its W454 or something... not sure, i believe the recall is due to some sort of machining mistake within the crankcase, causing oil leak - i think, im not sure.

sounds a bit like RMS, although thats a seal, i believe this has to do with a machining mistake though

I just changed the battery on my 997.  Now the key remote lock does not work and the driver's side door does not fully close.  Anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690266 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409599 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255908 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235141 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65626 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858309 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774535 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM