Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2021] Lucid Air (900v, 113 kWh, 1080HP, 517miles(832Km) range)

Topspeed:

Lucid Air Dream Edition Range Officially Rated At 520 Miles

EPA range:

Lucid Air Dream Edition R(19"): 520 miles (837 Km)
    Lucid Air Grand Touring(19"): 516 miles (830 Km)
    Lucid Air Dream Edition P(19"): 471 miles (758 Km)
    Lucid Air Touring(19"): 406 miles (653 Km)
    Lucid Air Pure(19"): 406 miles (653 Km)
    Tesla Model S LR(19"): 405 miles (652 Km)
    Tesla Model S Plaid(19"): 396 miles (637 Km)

Not many people ever drive farther than 500 miles in a day. That's more than Toronto to Chicago or Louisville or Quebec City. That's Dallas to Kansas City, That's almost Atlanta to Washington DC, Paris to Salzburg or Rome to Munich. That's driving Sydney to either Melbourne or Brisbane. I'd want a break after any of those!

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

The range will diminish with an increase in speed, so that 520 mile range at 85+ mph (possible in many parts of the country) will be around 400 miles, if not lower.  

Temperatures are a huge factor as well. Not to mention - how many miles has any Lucid production car delivered to an actual customer done? 

Meanwhile, as they are building the factory, the Times article claims they have unseated Tesla. Lol. 

It's interesting to see  that those that are most critical and defensive towards Lucid EV's are Tesla "fans".

I hope Mike (W8MM) still has one on order, would really like to hear his impressions.

His $1000 is refundable. Just saying. 
    Trust me, I’m not worried about Lucid or Rivian. There are some Chinese companies which may win overall though. 
    If you want to see defensive watch the non EV world try to pretend the Plaid does not exist. Or Tesla for that matter. 
    Cheers Carlos AND RC out there somewhere in an undisclosed location. (Did he go back into the 00 business?)

That‘s a cool car , wishing them all the best, hoping for sales going north.

Mithras:
    Topspeed:

EPA range:

Not many people ever drive farther than 500 miles in a day. That's more than Toronto to Chicago or Louisville or Quebec City. That's Dallas to Kansas City, That's almost Atlanta to Washington DC, Paris to Salzburg or Rome to Munich. That's driving Sydney to either Melbourne or Brisbane. I'd want a break after any of those!

I've driven many times 800-900 km in a day. Toronto to Chicago and back (850+km one way), Tor to NYC  (800+ km one way) and back and Tor-Ottawa-Montreal. and back. Smiley

wantone:
    Mithras:
    Topspeed:

EPA range:

I've driven many times 800-900 km in a day. Toronto to Chicago and back (850+km one way), Tor to NYC  (800+ km one way) and back and Tor-Ottawa-Montreal. and back. Smiley

Honestly why would you ever do any of those things?

I mean my wife and I used to have a place in Chicago and we'd go for a weekend or sometimes even dinner then turn around the next morning but it was under 2 hours from our offices to our place in lincoln park when we flew Porter. I've gone to Montreal and back three times in a day, but again would never bother driving. 

And even if you did you could easily plug in for a few hours at some point because you are going to need a break (or do what you needed to do at the location) . And Toronto to NYC is just under 500 miles...

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Actually, now more than ever - with the pandemic and working remotely- the ability to cover vast distances and discover far away places with your private car is highly valued.  Cannonball run has always been on my bucket list! Maybe without the ultra high speeds though. 

Mithras:
    wantone:
    Mithras:
    Topspeed:

EPA range:

Honestly why would you ever do any of those things?

I mean my wife and I used to have a place in Chicago and we'd go for a weekend or sometimes even dinner then turn around the next morning but it was under 2 hours from our offices to our place in lincoln park when we flew Porter. I've gone to Montreal and back three times in a day, but again would never bother driving. 

And even if you did you could easily plug in for a few hours at some point because you are going to need a break (or do what you needed to do at the location) . And Toronto to NYC is just under 500 miles...

Because I like driving and always wanted to road trip in Europe & North America. Plus you have the convinience of using your own car in the destination area. Tor to NYC at least for my departure point and destination it was more than 800 km, it depends on the exact locations. For example, if you start from Markham you add nearly 50 km to the trip comparing starting from Oakville.

Today I did a tour of in two cities 1 very popular with tourists and the other up in the mountains so I was able to drive next to the sea and up to the mountains (lots of hairpins) and returning fromt the highway. 380 km in a day and almost half a tank left.

Did anyone of you order a Rivian so far?

I am interested in R1S, but waiting out until I see more reviews.

Lucid Starts Production of the Groundbreaking Lucid Air in Arizona; Customer Deliveries to Begin in October

• Lucid Production Preview Week events begin at Lucid’s factory in Casa Grande, AZ, with customers, media and policymakers, including Arizona Governor Doug Ducey, in attendance
    • First Lucid Air customer-quality cars driven off the assembly line after achieving EPA certification, as well as achieving FMVSS safety certification
    • Customer deliveries to begin in late October
    • Reservations for Lucid Air surpass 13,000

Josef:

Did anyone of you order a Rivian so far?

I had a look with the R1T. Very very interesting until I found out it is handicapped with a dual action gas pedal.

It can only do regen braking with accelerator liftoff. The brake pedal is only a single function pedal. just like a Tesla.

Understandable as they, like Tesla, are new startups and without the expertise to develop blended braking like every other car manufacturers. And blended braking is a must have for EVs, that way one can control how and when the car regen on the road. There are plenty of times when one wants the car to coast along instead of jerking your head forward with unwanted braking.

With that I ended up ordering the Ford F150 Lightning. 

--

Interesting, I have never experienced unwanted or jerky braking - ever. I would never want to leave one pedal driving now that I have learned how it works. (2 minutes of actual driving).  It is one of those comments which reminds me that the FUD regarding Tesla vanishes best once the car is actually driven for a few miles. 
    Finding opportunities to claim Tesla lacks expertise is getting difficult, I get that. Maybe blended braking is one area of experience they can have and keep. Lol.  Add 800 volts and you have two solid reasons to not buy a Plaid along with panel gaps of course. 
    Personally, since I hardly ever use the brakes and find regen stops to be butter smooth I’m glad they focused on efficiency and self driving.  No one beats Tesla in home charging miles per hour (43) which is where 99% of my charging happens.  It driving me to the lake for 150 miles at a penny a mile - using the included autopilot only - priceless.  No other car comes even close to that feat.  Did I mention it is crazy fast?

btw Tesla let’s you adjust the amount of regen and if you like you can turn it off if you can’t control your feet.  Of course if that is the case then I would expect using either pedal would be jerky.  

Leawood911:

Interesting, I have never experienced unwanted or jerky braking - ever. I would never want to leave one pedal driving now that I have learned how it works. (2 minutes of actual driving).  It is one of those comments which reminds me that the FUD regarding Tesla vanishes best once the car is actually driven for a few miles. 
    Finding opportunities to claim Tesla lacks expertise is getting difficult, I get that. Maybe blended braking is one area of experience they can have and keep. Lol.  Add 800 volts and you have two solid reasons to not buy a Plaid along with panel gaps of course. 
    Personally, since I hardly ever use the brakes and find regen stops to be butter smooth I’m glad they focused on efficiency and self driving.  No one beats Tesla in home charging miles per hour (43) which is where 99% of my charging happens.  It driving me to the lake for 150 miles at a penny a mile - using the included autopilot only - priceless.  No other car comes even close to that feat.  Did I mention it is crazy fast?

btw Tesla let’s you adjust the amount of regen and if you like you can turn it off if you can’t control your feet.  Of course if that is the case then I would expect using either pedal would be jerky.  

I wonder how many cars with the more sophisticated blended braking have you actually driven to joke about Nick's opinion, who actually owns several, and dismissing it as with everything else that it's just to criticize Tesla?

FWIW, there is not necessarily one right opinion on this, some may prefer blended braking others may not, others may like one or the other depending on the situation, and they can all be right. 

Leawood911:

Tesla decides for you, not the other way around.

If you turn off the regen braking via the menu, you loses all regen braking. But in a blended braking car, the driver controls how and when the regen happens. The driver has control. he can decide if he wants the car to coast down the road at minimal effort to preserve energy, or engage regen braking to recover energy, or activate the physical brakes to slow the car. 

And it is what it is. A normal hydraulic brake system is easy to design and engineered and cheap. Blended braking requires much more effort to develop and tune, and more expensive. That's the sole reason why Tesla, and now Rivian, has only normal brakes and piggy pack the regen braking part onto the accelerator, as it's super easy and cheap to do with some software coding. That doesn't mean it's the best way to do things. 

--

I agree that blended braking is cool and complicated tech. I admit fully I have not driven it.
    It is the reported jerky regen braking which is a bit overstated.  I don’t get it at all. 
     I do know that that the regen is fully adjustable in my Tesla and you can chose to have it freewheel like an ice car, creep at stops like an automatic or come to a complete stop.  To the extent that when you use the real brakes the regen has a still working as well you could say it is blending.  Are we seeing huge efficiency gains from the blended braking and does it force you to use the brake?  If it can still regen enough to one pedal drive I’m all for it.  If not then I would not care for it. 
    What I have noticed lately is that when I am one pedal driving the car seems to regen a bit more to stop me in time if I am coming up on a stop or another car.  It is like blending the regen to match the required stopping distance with driver intervention.  It is a nice feature and very smooth.  I can see progress in this area paying off nicely  

Tesla has also started to use the interior camera to watch for distracted driving.  As an extra safety layer when autopilot is on or not it will warn you if you are not paying attention.  This is on top keeping your hand on the wheel.  So even if you are not using autopilot but are on your phone and not paying attention it will alert you to watch out  

it's been 7 years if not 10 for blended braking to be on the market, they are like on gem 4 get 5 of the technology now.

It's had always been the Tesla people claiming blended braking is jerky and the Elon way is better. What they didn't want to mention is that Elon 'invented' one pedal driving cause he can't get blended braking to work on his cars. he doesn't have the money nor the time to develop such a system. It's far cheaper and easier for him to direct his programmers to flip a switch and reverse the current on the motors to act as brakes. 

Physics is your friend when talking about efficiency. Coasting down the road will always be more efficient then constantly suppling power then capturing back the power. No matter how good the converters are, there will be loses. In a Tesla the moment the gas pedal is lifted, the car goes into regen mode, meaning converting the kinetic energy to electricity. But that same kinetic energy is perfectly capable of moving the car down the road, so why waste some of that energy via conversions. 

In a city, stop and go traffic pattern, perhaps it's more advantageous to have lift over regen, the driver can be lazier and just keep the right foot over the gas pedal instead of moving back and forth, and the car slow itself down in the process. But in just about any other driving situation, there is really no point in using one pedal driving. With such a religious process on recapturing electricity, that's why Teslas have amazing city mileage figures. 

It's also advantageous having one pedal driving on off roading. The current Kelly Bull Book YouTube review of the Rivian truck mentioned it. The lift off regen do a great job controlling the truck's decent speed. I have to agree with that, as all cars/trucks with off road capability have hill decent control, function of which is to keep the driver's foot off the brake pedal to prevent locking up a wheel or two. 

One pedal driving isn't the worse thing invented, it has it's time and place to be useful.

--

I never claimed blended braking was jerky since I have not used it. Nice write up whoopsy! 
    For all the extra sophisticated tech it still seems the Teslas are more efficient, as you point out. After one pedal driving for almost two years now my other cars seem like runaway trains and using the brake feel like throwing energy away.  
    I will reiterate that you can limit and adjust the regen or turn it off all together.  I prefer to have it maxed out. Once I am in a steady state like on a highway I turn on the cruise control and all the pedals go away.  
    Maybe l will go test drive today a car with blended brakes. 

For a slightly 10% bigger battery, it goes a full 25% further than a equivalent Model S Plaid. 

The 'lead' of Tesla's efficiency is puff, gone. 

First EV truck? Tesla lost that too to Rivian.

First commercial truck? Nope, that's Daimler.

First EV sports car? Rimac. 

As predicted, Tesla is facing competition pressure from all sides. It needs a clear direction to go but it would seems Elon is too distracted to lead Tesla into a proper direction. 

Funny how Tesla been stuck at ~ 1/4 million cars per quarter for like the last 8-10 quarters. Even the growth 'predicted' is also gone. 

Lucid has real potential. But for that price, I would much rather stick with a Porsche. Same story with the Rivian truck. I much prefer to get a Ford, a known entity.

Having said that, I think Lucid will do well in time. American luxury EV. Sort of like Caddy was the American luxury brand, but Lucid have much much better fit and finish and material usage. 

The gauge display looks like they lifted it straight out from a Caddy however. 

--

Whoopsy:

For a slightly 10% bigger battery, it goes a full 25% further than a equivalent Model S Plaid. 

The 'lead' of Tesla's efficiency is puff, gone. 

First EV truck? Tesla lost that too to Rivian.

First commercial truck? Nope, that's Daimler.

First EV sports car? Rimac. 

As predicted, Tesla is facing competition pressure from all sides. It needs a clear direction to go but it would seems Elon is too distracted to lead Tesla into a proper direction. 

Funny how Tesla been stuck at ~ 1/4 million cars per quarter for like the last 8-10 quarters. Even the growth 'predicted' is also gone. 

Lucid has real potential. But for that price, I would much rather stick with a Porsche. Same story with the Rivian truck. I much prefer to get a Ford, a known entity.

Having said that, I think Lucid will do well in time. American luxury EV. Sort of like Caddy was the American luxury brand, but Lucid have much much better fit and finish and material usage. 

The gauge display looks like they lifted it straight out from a Caddy however. 

I think Musk's biggest issue is that he gives/promises dates and misses out by "only" 3-4 years or so... Smiley I think he is just trying to make people wait for his stuff, but he knows he cant deliver and that is really annoying IMO

Love the Lucis yes its very interesting, my only problem with the Porsche is the range, funny as I usually not making so long distances but I still want to go more than 300km on the Autobahn without the need of a charge (in my world it should be at least 500km of real Autobahn range in that price category) 

Love also the Rivian, this thing can do anything it seems... and the fit and finish looks just great. I think they priced it also really well for what you get.

Yea about Rimac, yes its a great great hyper car the the price level is here a totally different one so maybe not so good as a comparisson.

I think Tesla is about to complete a factory in Texas and Berlin. Next comes India.  Perhaps this will help with volume. Do you think their being stuck at the same volume has to do with lack of product or sales?  Lol. Not to mention they have been predicted to not even get to any volume like that and would be bankrupt by now.  
    For all the talk of Tesla losing let’s wait until something like that actually happens. There are far more orders for Tesla roadsters and Cybertrucks  - without them even rolling off the assembly line yet. 
    It will be interesting to see if any of the others can match the Tesla autopilot. I do have hopes for the Lucid. 
    Have you noticed the other automakers  volumes this last year?  

Leawood911:

I think Tesla is about to complete a factory in Texas and Berlin. Next comes India.  Perhaps this will help with volume. Do you think their being stuck at the same volume has to do with lack of product or sales?  Lol. Not to mention they have been predicted to not even get to any volume like that and would be bankrupt by now.  
    For all the talk of Tesla losing let’s wait until something like that actually happens. There are far more orders for Tesla roadsters and Cybertrucks  - without them even rolling off the assembly line yet. 
    It will be interesting to see if any of the others can match the Tesla autopilot. I do have hopes for the Lucid. 
    Have you noticed the other automakers  volumes this last year?  

Do you really like the cybertrucks design? TBH I cant get used to it looks, maybe in the flesh it will look better but as for now I really dont like it. Is it different, oh yes! will it make people turn their heads, definitley! The only car design that I really like form Tesla is the roadster.

Nope. I think it looks a bit over the top. Point is Tesla is about to double its factory output capacity. And then some. 

The Cybertruck design will change. That hideous concept was a marketing trick to be on the news. And the window shattering was the cherry on top.

The Tesla hype train needs to get fueled every quarter.

Topspeed:

The Cybertruck design will change. That hideous concept was a marketing trick to be on the news. And the window shattering was the cherry on top.

The Tesla hype train needs to get fueled every quarter.

Sadly I think it will look exactly as advertised. Wraps will be big. 
    Keep in mind they don’t advertise - so they amount of hype and customer loyalty they can generate is pretty amazing. 

If they advertised, employed union workers and had dealerships then they would face far less FUD thrown at them. The customers however would suffer and so would the company as a whole. Their stance on these matters actually gives me hope that not everyone falls in line with the existing powers to be who are out to screw the consumers for lobbyists handing out a few dollars. 

Rivian and Lucid, unfortunately while developing great product, have lagged in production as the traditional automakers are rolling out a steady stream of EV product using existing manufacturing facilities.  I don't think that some of the investors in purely EV products and companies realized that there is no magic elixir with EVs and that traditional automakers could quickly pivot to EV production.  

BMW and Mercedes-Benz, for example, have released some really interesting EV products in the last six months.  Volkswagen has demonstrated that it is quickly learning and adapting from its lackluster ID.3 to the much improved ID.4 and ID.4 GTX.  One telling event if the traditional automakers are learning organizations will be the facelifted Audi e-tron SUV.  Audi is purportedly reengineering the drivetrain and battery pack to increase range and performance.  If Audi is successful with the product improvements, this will prove telling for the stiff headwinds that the Tesla, Rivian, and Lucid will face going forward.  Then there are Ford and General Motors which are developing EV products with demand in the States.  All of these developments could render Rivian and Lucid to niche market status and curtail growth at Tesla.  

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM