Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2021] Formula 1

9C22DA87-BDCD-42E6-9966-6A0FF7B55F16.jpegthat shows how good Hamilton is, it’s very clear that Max has the way better car but is still unable to pull away in the WDC, really impressive what Hamilton does. Max needs to calm if he wants to secure the WDC this year. 

Loved how Alonso trolled Masi in front of the whole world...

Carlos from Spain:

Me too. When I saw his practice run on live TV, I was thinking he is going to do exactly that at the start, especially since he followed the 'protocol' and came back on the track via the escape road as dictated by Masi. 

Alonso is the elder statesman in the sport. Like Kimi, they couldn't careless about doing stuff and saying stuff. But unlike  Kimi, Alonso did exactly what Masi said he can do. 

When he retires, the sport is going to miss his personality. Just like we will miss Kimi's next year. Heck, even Vettel got one of those interesting personality, and his time in F1 won't last. 

Everyone knows I like Hamilton. But when he is gone and retired, will I miss him? No. He is the GOAT, but outside of that, he isn't interesting. He is perfect on and off the track and that's boring. His interviews are always picture perfect, unlike the likes of Kimi, Alonso and Vettel, you never know what they will say, or even do.

Alonso in a lawn chair was classic. 

Vettel keep making fun of someone or something during interviews. Literally he is the most un-German German I know of.

Kimi's one word answers. or the drunken Kimi. Or any other 100 things he did over his career. 

Did Hamilton had any memorable moments like that? Nope.

The new crop of young guns have a hard act to follow.

Norris could be the new Vettel, making fun of stuff. 

Max got his rage against the world thing going.

Stroll with his cry baby daddy's boy mentality.

Russell is the picture perfect one. I can see him being Hamilton 2.0, especially when he will be mentored by Hamilton starting next year.

Outside of those, don't think anyone else has a personality that stands out.........Not Leclerc, not Sainz, not Gasly, not Albon.

--

Daniel Ricciardo?

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Whoopsy:

When he retires, the sport is going to miss his personality. Just like we will miss Kimi's next year. Heck, even Vettel got one of those interesting personality, and his time in F1 won't last. 

I was thinking the same thing when Kimi retired, F1 needs guys like these, Alonso didn't use to be like that at the beginning but he has changed a lot and at his point in his life he can do what he wants now too...

F1 brass too lazy to modify the rules to avoid corner-cutters taking advantage of poorly worded rules in spite of being warned about it? Alonso: "Hold my beer"...

Kimi was the best in that, his attitude was not always the best towards winning a championship but was the most refreshing.

Joost:

Daniel Ricciardo?

He is 32, not part of the young guns anymore. Few more years he will be hanging his boots too.

He is quite good at entertaining when he is having fun. But looking back at the start of the year, he was struggling and he was pretty much silent. 

Very different than say Vettel and Kimi, they say and do stuff whenever, winning or losing.

--

Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:

Me too. When I saw his practice run on live TV, I was thinking he is going to do exactly that at the start, especially since he followed the 'protocol' and came back on the track via the escape road as dictated by Masi. 

Alonso is the elder statesman in the sport. Like Kimi, they couldn't careless about doing stuff and saying stuff. But unlike  Kimi, Alonso did exactly what Masi said he can do. 

Everyone knows I like Hamilton. But when he is gone and retired, will I miss him? No. He is the GOAT, but outside of that, he isn't interesting. He is perfect on and off the track and that's boring. His interviews are always picture perfect, unlike the likes of Kimi, Alonso and Vettel, you never know what they will say, or even do.

Alonso in a lawn chair was classic. 

Vettel keep making fun of someone or something during interviews. Literally he is the most un-German German I know of.

Kimi's one word answers. or the drunken Kimi. Or any other 100 things he did over his career. 

Did Hamilton had any memorable moments like that? Nope.

The new crop of young guns have a hard act to follow.

Norris could be the new Vettel, making fun of stuff. 

Max got his rage against the world thing going.

Stroll with his cry baby daddy's boy mentality.

Russell is the picture perfect one. I can see him being Hamilton 2.0, especially when he will be mentored by Hamilton starting next year.

Outside of those, don't think anyone else has a personality that stands out.........Not Leclerc, not Sainz, not Gasly, not Albon.

--

couldn't agree more on all you said SmileySmileySmiley

Porsche and Audi  to F1 now looks very close to actually happening:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/f1-motor-2026-einigung-details-porsche-audi/

Would Red Bull be the partner? They have 2 teams so can afford to brand them separately. Actually they are the only choice if VAG wants to save a bit of money. Else they would need to contract two separate teams. 

Red Bull Porsche and Alpha Tauri Audi.

Thank god Piech is gone, or else he would blow all his gaskets seeing his baby is being branded second best to Porsche.

--

Whoopsy:

Would Red Bull be the partner? They have 2 teams so can afford to brand them separately. Actually they are the only choice if VAG wants to save a bit of money. Else they would need to contract two separate teams. 

Red Bull Porsche and Alpha Tauri Audi.

Thank god Piech is gone, or else he would blow all his gaskets seeing his baby is being branded second best to Porsche.

I have always been against Porsche going to F1 as I consider Porsche's spiritual home to be in sportscar racing, however the prospect of a BOP Prototype class is so unappealing to me that I really hope that this happens.

I dont know what they'll do, but what I can say is that some years ago , when it was strongly rumored that Porsche was going to F1, I had a very good contact in the motorsports journalist world. At the time it was unknown whether Porsche would go in with a full blown team or would just be an engine supplier, so I asked him. His response was that if Porsche went in, they would go in with their own team. 

Porsche never went to F1 at that time, but I assume that the basic plans have not changed. Fingers crossed.

Financing a full blown race team for multiple seasons might be too rich for Porsche's liking. They already will be doing endurance with LMDh, at least they are out of factory sports car fro the time being. Then there is Formula E, which they are still trying to find success with.

If they do wanted to do a full team, it means buying an existing one or starting a new one. Branding then could be an issue as I believe Formula 1 frown on having two cars with different graphics. Which means starting/buying two teams in order for VAG to separate Porsche and Audi. 

Which brings Red Bull back into the picture, they owned two teams, and they made some major investments into doing their own engines which aren't branded yet. VAG could start injecting their expertise with the engine factory and then take over the naming after the next sets of regulations come into effect, relieving Red Bull of the financial commitment. 

--

Yeah , the LMDh project wont be expensive. The goal is to sell cars to private teams. I think Porsche think they can actually make money off the LMDh project. (ala the Group C era).

The FE project is not expensive either (in racing terms) and I'm not sure that they will be in that for much longer (Audi and Mercedes have left).

I would not be surprised if there is a Red Bull tie, but 2026 is still a way off. It will be interesting following this in the near future. 

The next thing we have to look out for is to see if this rule package is approved . Apparently we may have news by the Turkish GP

N.B. The caption on the Sean Bull design of what a Porsche F1 car could look like, states that Porsche will enter only as an engine supplier. Therefore the Red Bull tie is most certainly likely.

Something I never bothered to find out before.

Current F1 regulations stats the MGU-K can only gets 4 MJ a lap, and the MGU-K can only feed the battery at a max rate of 2MJ a lap. And the electric motor is a 120kW unit.

Finally made the google search and found out 4MJ is approximately 1.11kWh. 

So on full deployment, a car can have full boost for ~40 seconds on paper.

This is only on the MGU-K side. 

The MGU-H side has unlimited power budget however. Sort of a moot point as the MGU-H doesn't add power, it does spin up the turbo faster to get ready for full turbo boost but mostly it is used as a generator to charge up the battery. in current regulations the MGU-K side needs 2 laps of ~40 seconds of braking to fully charge back up the battery which is impossible. Hence the need for a MGU-H.

If they do get rid of the MGU-H in the 2026 regs, how would they budget the MGU-K? For sure the regen capture rate will need to be a lot higher as who wants to drive around for 5-6 laps just to get one lap of boost? Or will they WANTS to do that for racing reasons?

--

Whoopsy, the actual time for ERS is longer than 40 seconds. There is the limit of energy that goes to the battery, however, in some engine map, the energy from mgu-h bypasses the battery and goes directly to e-motor. Yes, you loose some hp due to higher turbine wheel resistance, however, you gain more with the help from e-machine.

--

sportcars-history.com

I am just calculating the full boost from the battery alone. 

MGU-H can and do directly feed the MGU-K with energy to be used, and the amount going into and out of the MGU-H is unlimited, but no manufacturers have published their figures. In theory yes the MGU-H can generate enough to feed the MGU-K with 120kW all the time, and more to feed the battery to charge it back up, but that will be at thee expense of the combustion engine's output. It's not a zero sum game.  

Mercedes had the lead with the efficiency of their MGU-H since the beginning, but Honda might have caught and passed them this year. 

--

AFAIK the next circuits are better suited for the Red Bulls...it will be extremely tough for Mercedes to beat them, and HAM needs a new engine also.

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Whoopsy:

I am just calculating the full boost from the battery alone. 

MGU-H can and do directly feed the MGU-K with energy to be used, and the amount going into and out of the MGU-H is unlimited, but no manufacturers have published their figures. In theory yes the MGU-H can generate enough to feed the MGU-K with 120kW all the time, and more to feed the battery to charge it back up, but that will be at thee expense of the combustion engine's output. It's not a zero sum game.  

Mercedes had the lead with the efficiency of their MGU-H since the beginning, but Honda might have caught and passed them this year. 

I believe the total ers time output is projected that way to provide full boost from the longest track with the longest straights (for 1 lap). But to be fair I dont like f1 implementation of mgu h (resistance and scheise packaging). 919 approach is much more nice to me. Its less driveable, worse for nimble tracks, but it doesnt increase the resistance for ice, so it really increase the efficiency of the whole package without decreasing the efficiency of ice alone. Although, both are unusable for road cars -> no sense and no such drive modes on the roads for drastically increased complexity. 

Also, i was wondered by the latest news that ferrari until now used the 400v battery

--

sportcars-history.com

Gauss:

AFAIK the next circuits are better suited for the Red Bulls...it will be extremely tough for Mercedes to beat them, and HAM needs a new engine also.

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Unfortunately, its almost impossible to analyze. Too much speculation and games from team bosses. Also, we dont know the packages the cars will arrive.

--

sportcars-history.com

Red Bull has revealed its one-off white Formula 1 livery design for this weekend’s Turkish Grand Prix, paying tribute to outgoing engine partner Honda

Confirmed that Sainz should be starting dead last as he had just about everything changed to his power unit. 

Hamilton will also get at least 10 places as he is on a fresh engine. Maybe they might take more or maybe not.

Rain is forecasted for the weekend, Saturday AND Sunday. Could be another fun weekend if it rains on both day. 

Pretty sure Hamilton is praying for rain on Sunday as skill will be the primary factor affecting lap times in the wet and that's how he can make up the difference to the front.

Would Russell shine again on a wet Quali on Saturday? He has been pretty spot on on his instinct on the timing to change tires. 

How long will Ferrari keep Sainz before switching him out with Schumacher? End of the current contract? Or give him another year? He only has a 2 year contract with Ferrari so on paper Ferrari can move Schumacher over by 2023. Or would Ferrari park him with Alfa Romeo for a year first and get an extra year with Sainz?

How will Masi enforce track limits, at least on turn 1 at the start? Will Alonso test Masi again? 

On a side note, FIA finally read their own rule book and realized track boundary is defined by the WHITE LINES, not the curbs, and they are at least enforcing it at turn 6 and turn 14. 

--

Schumacher to Fezza, 2023 earliest, imo.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

is She just a name?

throt:

Schumacher to Fezza, 2023 earliest, imo.

That's the plan but I am not quite sure Mick is simmered enough to handle the pressure over there yet. He has the talent, but with Haas they are just running as rolling road blocks instead of fighting against another team. He might need more experience running an Alfa for an extra year. 

--

watt:

is She just a name?

??

--

Formula 1 released more information about their carbon neutral fuel.

For the conspiracy theorists, they will chalk it up as another thing to suck up to Porsche for them to join.

It runs much deeper than that.

FIA already have Formula E to cover the electric side, there is no point for Formula 1 to go down the electric path. It is a doomed path anyways.

EVs aren't carbon neutral, they aren't sustainable. batteries components are like fossil fuel, a finite item that could be mined. They will eventually run out. Cobalt, lithium, etc doesn't re-grow, and Quite a fair bit still ended up in landfills even with recycling programs, which, up to now, is literally non-existent. The elements, once out of the ground, is gone forever. There is mechanism to replace them. 

Fossil fuel on the other hand, is actually a renewable. It's completely organic. The Earth itself doesn't stop recycling it's own 'stuff'. It may not seems like it but given time, Earth will keep producing crude oil. Right now we are using oil made from dinosaurs, but there was living things living on the face of the Earth even after the dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago. There are fossils being pushed downwards and compressed constantly for the last 65 million years, eventually they will turned into crude oil too. Even us humans. Given enough time. 

The carbon neutral fuel F1 is pushing for is made not from fossils but alternative biomass. It will be compatible will all combustion engines and that means even if we stop pumping oil from the ground, engines around the world will still have a fuel source to run on. 

Battery EVs will just be a stop gap thing. It's not sustainable for humans to completely migrate over to EVs. There just isn't enough rare earth elements to be used to make batteries. It will 'run out', meaning the cost to mine such elements will not be sustainable or economical. Recycling can only do so much, as there will always be losses to landfills. 

The only element we humans cannot run out of will be hydrogen. That will be the future energy source. 

Hydrogen powered F1 cars anyone?

--

Damp condition to start Q1.

Ricciardo is having a tough time getting good laps out of the car and he is out already at Q1.

Seems like the last corner is a bit too slippery for some, Leclerc and Russell. Poor Russell ruins a good lap on the last corner and missed Q3. 

Ocon is quite far away timing wise against Alonso in the same car. Still have much to learn.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690926 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410099 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256164 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235387 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65736 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858760 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775056 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM