Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My experience so far.

I've now managed to put 5500 miles on my S since November 1 and have been incredibly happy with the car. Just a few things have marred the ownership experience (including a speeding ticket), but overall, it's a dream.

I thought I might just discuss some of the things that are on my mind so far as this is my first Porsche and because it is a new model, I thought there might be others that are experiencing the same...

I've noticed a few changes handling wise. On a long sweeping bend, the rear end can sometimes feel a little fidgety, almost like the rear end just wants to swing out. I never noticed it happening so much in the past. My tyres are fine with still plenty of grip and I check the air pressure all the time. It almost feels that the car has gone back to the days of the 993 with even the steering wheel wriggling in my hands. I actually sort of love it, but am a bit concerned that it's going to catch me out one of these days. I guess the other reason I am noticing this is because I'm getting more confident in her and as each day passes, I'm pushing even further. How far exactly can you go in this thing? It's almost though she is begging me push her just that much more.

Regarding the little problems, I've has the bonnet latch changed by the dealership even though I have not had the 'System Fault' message. This was done to resolve a problem with the car alarm which keeps going off. Needless to say, this has not resolved the problem, and the alarm is still going off so I can't park the car on street without having to disable it. Secondly, I had a small rattle in the passenger door (seemed to be the door bin vibrating). My OPC ripped apart the door to resolve it, but in the process have created an even bigger, thumping rattle. They delivered my car back with masses of grease all over the door opening as well which really annoyed me and guess what? In putting the door back together, they failed to connect the door handle mechanism, so I can't open the door from the inside. Utterly shocking really.

One last thing that I have noticed this weekend is that when driving the car hard, my Sports Adaptive seats are sometimes clunking, almost as though they are moving on their rails. I think there was a thread from someone else regarding this - anyone recall? or indeed, is anyone experiencing the same problem?. I'm actually going to hold off telling the dealer because I'm scared they will pull apart the seat and ruin it, so I'll see how bad this gets first..

Anyway, the car goes back tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I won't see her again all week. Anyone else having similar problems that are beggining to show? I must say that despite these little things and moans about my OPC, I love the car. She provides so much entertaiment and joy that none of these problems will detract from my intimate times with her and the excitement I have each morning when I glance at her sexy ass. I've never owned a car where upon getting behind the wheel each morning I loudly and proudly say "Good morning baby. How are you this morning?"

Re: My experience so far.

well, well done we are happy for you;)

I had a passenger door rattle. Dealer just tighten some screws and all was fine. Did it on the same day as my navigation module retrofit. They wiped down the interior so there was no trace of oil or dirt.

I'm at 6700+ miles now since 14 December. Had her up to 120 mph so far. Around 100 mph last weekend. My point is, beyond bragging , I haven't felt the car wobble or witnessed the steering wheel giving back the feel you mentioned so I would guess that you have an alignment problem with the front and/or back. I can say that I have had to change my driving style in the curves. I really have to push her harder than my Boxster S in the turns (starting at the apex)to maximize on stability. My 911 friends say this is normal. I need to go to PDE to find the limits of my car because I have not spun her out yet. I agree; the 997 is an amazing car. I am blown away by it each day I drive!!! Last weekend's hop up to Philly for lunch was a blast!!! I came back home with the biggest smile on my face!!! Drove her in the cold, poring rain this morning to work (very stable & precise).

holminator, where are your pics?

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    http://www.rennteam.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5001

I love the debadged look; it's so clean looking.

Holminator your car is awesome!! Well done i ve seen it in the past but forgot it

I likeyour wheels and also the model delete makes it so cool..
    Just get rid of those yellow lights in the front bumper..

More over. what retrofits are you thinking of having ,if any? Just curious

I am 2000 miles now and have had the passenger door rattle, I tightened the bin screw and solved it. I think this car is way more stable than my 996 especially and higher speeds etc.

The dealers usually will never fix a rattle and always screw something else up when trying to solve them.

My car seems to have gotten stronger after 1k miles and it is in need of an alignment...Positive camber in the front has to go.

Time to dial out the understeer.

what do you mean 1K one thousand?

I have now 4100 km and start to feel my car a little more torque..
    where are your pics rss996?

I've been told by a Porsche engineer that the 997 Carrera S engine really "comes to life" at around 10000 km.
    I already felt that the engine breathes more freely but I'm still waiting for the "second spring time" as we say here in Germany. I can't help it but I always have the feeling that the engine could deliver more but it can't. It may sound weird but this is the feeling I have. I'm curious to learn about the 380 HP powerkit upgrade and how they achieved this additional power. It if is just a motronic/exhaust thing, it would perfectly explain my feeling.

RC, where did you hear about the upgrade kit

Is there going to be one for the base model as well??

This is interesting ,although in the 996 upgrade kit in Greece cost 13,000 Euro

Interesting feeling, i m curius then why the 3,6 in the 997 did not come with the 996 upgrade kit as standard, maybe because then the "difference" with the S would be insignificant

After all marketing leads even the greatest car manufactures innowdays

Basalt,
    Great to hear you enjoy the car
    I must say though that your dealer seems quite sloppy and a cluts really

where are you from basalt, and can we see pics of your porsche? thanks in advance

Quote:
    Dilinger said:

Just get rid of those yellow lights in the front bumper..

More over. what retrofits are you thinking of having ,if any? Just curious

Yeah, you are so right about those yellow side lights! UGLY! I'm still thinking over the cost & benefits of adding the GSM cell phone module. I wish Porsche had more documentation on the system; that would make my decision easier, quicker, etc. Other than that, I haven't really seen the need for any major mods--not yet. Hahaha, I'm so lame! I absolutely have to figure out a way to hardwire my iPod into the PCM II, without voiding my warranty (oh and causing a massive fire).

Quote:
    Outlaw_Hawk said:
    where are you from basalt, and can we see pics of your porsche? thanks in advance

Hi Outlaw_Hawk. I'm from London. Here are some pics (apologies to those that have already seen these).

Beautiful car Basalt

Very Nice

Basalt - lovely motor - which dealer do you use in London?

very nice car Basalt (again) is it basalt looks a little grey!

Quote:
    (apologies to those that have already seen these).

Yes, stop showing these pics or we will all be changing our orders to your colour and wheel combo.

Quote:
    Basalt said:
    I've now managed to put 5500 miles on my S since November 1 and have been incredibly happy with the car.

Thanks Basalt, for sharing your ownership update, you have a great looking car.
    I was just about to write an update about my own car when I saw your thread so I hope you don't mind me tagging on.

I've now more or less run-in at 1450 miles and pushing when I can to max revs.
    In fact just like you I look forward to every drive and search for the safest fast bends to learn more about the handling, which is superb and way beyond me.
    Like others here I need to take up a PO driving course, I'm just a little concerned about using my own car (I think they also provide cars although not sure). My only problem to date is the fans seemed to stay on, especially after re-starting when the car is warm, this includes a sort of choke start up but I have now discovered this is quite normal and only lasts for 15 - 20 minutes.

My only design niggles to date are;

Audio controls (changing stations) should be available within the functions on the steering wheel.

POI on the Navigation should be part of the main menu (something I like to use when searching quickly) and not part of a secondary menu

Closing of the front storage concerns me when considering how soft the light weight trunk is. For instance if you drop the trunk lid a second firm push is required.
    Was the 996 made the same?

The positives to this car are two pages long and have already been said before so I won't bore you all to death, but the gearbox is certainly worth a mention, its nothing but superb in its preciseness and weight.

I must also mention the great posture and balance of the car.

Just love this car

Quote:
    med said:
    Closing of the front storage concerns me when considering how soft the light weight trunk is. For instance if you drop the trunk lid a second firm push is required.
    Was the 996 made the same?

Yes, thats normal. Don't drop the trunk lid, just lets it set lightly for the first "click" and then push for the second "click" to completely close the lid

yes it isn so wise to drop the lid down like a normal car, allignment might be an issue in the future, and you dont want any differences in your cars "face"!!!!

Agree Med - and as Carlos and Dilinger mention, don't drop the lid! It's also worth mentioning to leave a blanket in the front compartment so that when you are carrying large items, you can place it over them. This will stop any thing slamming against the lid if you should go over any bumps and saving your outer skin.

Don't know if the 996 lid was also made of aluminium and hence as light as the 997's.

In terms of the cockpit design, I've changed my mind about the centre console. When the car first came out, there was a lot of criticism regarding the mass of buttons (and complexity) of the PCM. Initially, I thought it was fine and that once I had driven a few thousand miles, I'd get used to it. I stand corrected! I still can't quite get to grips with it. Around town it's fine, but when travelling at 90 mph on the motorway, it really is quite a b*%@h to use and ergonomically, a little dangerous. Anyone else?

Sorry Pink Panther - these are the last!
    Dilinger, contrary to my user name, it's actually Atlas Grey.
    Ed J, I'm going to hold off revealing the OPC only cause I don't want to upset anyone - hope this is ok.
    JP66 and Alin330, thanks...

what is the OPC????

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774045 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    439885 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261837 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260127 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84717 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879028 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813730 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM