Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Model Designation DELETE or NOT

I was wondering about model designation delete???

What is your opinion about it?

It looks kind of cool but sometimes i think something is missing...

Could someone do it afterwards?/ or must be factory deleted?

Maybe it leaves signs and scratches??

Re: Model Designation DELETE or NOT

no... I took mine off and put "911" instead..."carrera" or "S" is just 2 side tape....comes off easy...

I like it better without any model designation...
    And yes, they come off relatively easely, any garage has the 'detergeant' to do it

BD 997 i m interested to see that "911"

I think in the past is was also a "996" badge??

This "911" you have placed i think it was placed in the original 996 40th Anniversary?And is it chromed like the carreraS or mat like the carrera?

Option 498

That's what I ordered with mine.

Re: Option 498

what did you ordered LeChef??
    I dont believe it ,i was just asking you in another forum when will your car arrive!!

My $.02: car looks cleaner without it. It's just plastic, not really a gem, get rid of it. The "B" on the Boxster badges would break off, or more often catch your polishing cloths. If you want to put it back on, just buy a new one for $20. Then again, if you remove it and it's a non-S, some types of people think you're trying to cover up your inadequacies.

well thats a thought ,,,,

My argument is that if you're following my car (when it gets here) and you're a real Porsche enthusiast you will see the twin tail pipes and know it's an "S" anyway. If you're a sometime car fan you probably will have figured out it's a Porsche, so "Carrera S" is probably meaningless. If you're not a car fan you probably won't care either way.

On that basis I deleted it as part of my order. I also ordered black dials as I think the white ones in the "S" are too XZBIT. Trying to keep it a little low key.

Car arrives in May

Here's my slightly neurotic take on it. I feel that either way, you're kidding yourself...

If you leave the emblem on, you're "pretentious" because you're supposedly drawing attention to what kind of car it is.

If you actually check an option box to have it intentionally left off, then you're taking efforts to cloak the identity of your car to those who don't already know what it is, which can likewise be accused as a pretentious act in sending the message, "Sorry, you pee-ons, you'll have to just wonder what this car is...If you were a Porsche enthusiast like me, then you would know...". Either way you're driving a car that people will lust after, no matter how many logos, crests and emblems you delete. So myself, I outfit it to please me, and I like the nostalgic effect of having the emblem on my decklid. As a kid, I stared longingly at that same cursive logo on the back of 911's that I could only dream of one day owning. So now that I've got one, seeing that logo stuck back there makes ME smile, regardless of what the rest of the "Joe Public" is getting out of it.... And furthermore, and this is corny but I believe wholeheartedly in it, I leave it there for all the kids who I can see in my rear view mirror GOING NUTS in their mom's SUV checking out my Porsche. They are no different than I was at that age, fast-car-crazy, and that logo will be etched in their heads just like it was in mine, especially "Turbo Carrera" in 1976!! So, the emblem isn't going to mean diddly to your average 30-something could-care-less geek, but it's the way that kids put a name with a car, and remember them both.

I love you 69bossnine.
    No shame, no false modesty, no fear, proud to keep these kids eyes you talk about.
    If we're different from these kids, why the hell do we buy such cars ?

Well if you are looking for different people's opinion then my own one is that removing the "carrera" designation on the 997 is not a mortal sin but looks bad and gives me a bad impression, but thats just to me though.

Another viewpoint..... Absence of an emblem often is mistaken for collision repair, i.e. panel had to be repaired or replaced, and the emblem was never re-applied.. Seems silly, but that's how my mind thinks sometimes, as on lesser cars that only come one way (you can't get emblem delete on a Ford Taurus or Chevy Impala LOL!!!), a missing emblem means you had the car repaired at Maaco, or that some punks in your 'hood swiped your emblem...

Delete it. The owner already knows the name of the car so why have it written on the side. I feel the same way about clothes. Seems kind of silly to buy quality clothing only to have some other dude's name on it. Besides, it's easier to wax the car without the name tag in the way. Hahahaha!!!

I like the car as designed by PAG. I do not delete (or add) anything, as I'm not a frustrated designer wanna-be.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    I was wondering about model designation delete???

What is your opinion about it?

It looks kind of cool but sometimes i think something is missing...

Could someone do it afterwards?/ or must be factory deleted?

Maybe it leaves signs and scratches??

Why in the world would you delete a designation which announces to the world it is a new Porsche rather than one that is 10-20 years old? To the general public ,they all look alike and the higher the numerical number on the back the newer it is.

Bossline9, I do not know what neighborhood you drive in but if you bring your car to S.CA, a Porsche generates as much interest as a MB. Thousands of them, can't tell the models apart and haven't a clue if they are new or a very old model.

Quote:
    a Porsche generates as much interest as a MB. Thousands of them, can't tell the models apart and haven't a clue if they are new or a very old model.

Why should it matter Nick?
    For what it's worth, it's better this way.
    I would assume that most Porsche drivers drive their car for the pleasure they got it, feeling, handling, balance, precision, etc. Rarity is not a prime factor.
    Personally, don't see it a big deal that there are many around.
    Maybe the mentality in the US is different.
    Here in Europe, I think the Porsche is perceived more as a performance car rather than a rare beautiful car, although personally, I think it is beautiful.

Don't get me started on Southern Cal. I have a distribution warehouse there. I'd say that there's something in your water, but you have to import it all from Utah!! (and the folks in Utah seem just fine...)

I think this issue, like a lot of things about Porsche cars, comes down to personal preference.

For me, I prefer the "stock" look of most cars. So I would leave the designation on. But I also understand what 69bossnine says about being a kid and seeing "turbo carrera" on the back of a 70s 911. That cursive script is a powerful image that can be "imprinted" on your brain at an early age and stay with you until you can finally afford your own car.

mcdelaug

Re: Model Designation DELETE or NOT *DELETED*

Post deleted by fritz

Quote:

Yeh, but they pixx in the water they pipeline to SoCal.

Having camped and houseboated on Lake Powell, I know I've done my part over the years!!!

I agree with another poster.....when I see a car with the lettering removed I think of two reasons. 1) re-paint that didn't reapply the lettering. 2)Lower cost model that wanted to leave you guessing. Is it an S?? Is it a S430 or S500 Mercedes??? Certainly if you know your Porsches you can tell the difference without the lettering. But some brands are real hard to tell apart with out the letters letting you know what they are.

My personal opinion is...if it comes from the factory I will leave it alone. No add-ons, no deletions.

Phil

I asked to have it taken off my Boxster S....
    /uploads/88245-bling.gif

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    I asked to have it taken off my Boxster S....

Because the lettering "Boxster S" is too "bling"??????

Phil

Yes.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    a Porsche generates as much interest as a MB. Thousands of them, can't tell the models apart and haven't a clue if they are new or a very old model.

Why should it matter Nick?
    For what it's worth, it's better this way.
    I would assume that most Porsche drivers drive their car for the pleasure they got it, feeling, handling, balance, precision, etc. Rarity is not a prime factor.
    Personally, don't see it a big deal that there are many around.
    Maybe the mentality in the US is different.
    Here in Europe, I think the Porsche is perceived more as a performance car rather than a rare beautiful car, although personally, I think it is beautiful.

Fanch (your preference ) nothing really matters. But if you and the rest of are true to your principles you could buy a much cheaper car and get better performance whether it be stock or modestly modified. The car would be as balance and precise as you want it to be. Heck you can even get a nice big wing on the back(STI)just like the GT3 or GT2 .

The reality is you buy Porsche because it gives you performance and in your and others view BLING! .

You can tell yourself like others do that bling does not matter but you buy Porsche because it is a Porsche and there is a BLING BLING to it.

Why do you all deny what is plain on your face and people that know you? I read how Europeans find it vulgar in a business setting for someone to be driving a Porsche and how you owners are sensitive to the problem. Now why would Europeans think that way? Because it is a performance car or is it BLING BLING?

Stop fooling yourself and fess up. "I bought a Porsche because all my life I wanted one and once I began successful enough I fulfilled my dream BLING BLING .

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Here's my slightly neurotic take on it. I feel that either way, you're kidding yourself...

If you leave the emblem on, you're "pretentious" because you're supposedly drawing attention to what kind of car it is.

If you actually check an option box to have it intentionally left off, then you're taking efforts to cloak the identity of your car to those who don't already know what it is, which can likewise be accused as a pretentious act in sending the message, "Sorry, you pee-ons, you'll have to just wonder what this car is...If you were a Porsche enthusiast like me, then you would know...". Either way you're driving a car that people will lust after, no matter how many logos, crests and emblems you delete. So myself, I outfit it to please me, and I like the nostalgic effect of having the emblem on my decklid. As a kid, I stared longingly at that same cursive logo on the back of 911's that I could only dream of one day owning. So now that I've got one, seeing that logo stuck back there makes ME smile, regardless of what the rest of the "Joe Public" is getting out of it.... And furthermore, and this is corny but I believe wholeheartedly in it, I leave it there for all the kids who I can see in my rear view mirror GOING NUTS in their mom's SUV checking out my Porsche. They are no different than I was at that age, fast-car-crazy, and that logo will be etched in their heads just like it was in mine, especially "Turbo Carrera" in 1976!! So, the emblem isn't going to mean diddly to your average 30-something could-care-less geek, but it's the way that kids put a name with a car, and remember them both.

hey La Chef...what if your following my car and I have 20" Techart wheels and speedart exhaust and 996TT brakes...how will you tell what it is....oh and I have this badge on my ass....

The 991 designation looks just fine but please lose the Herb Chambers license plate frame. And don't replace it with one the says "Porsche". A plain ole chromed one will do just fine.

BTW, is your '911' misaligned a little to the right? Or is it an illusion?

XZBIT

You're on the wrong coast

Re: XZBIT

...did you all think about going one level down in model designation for stealth purposes?..

...for example, replacing CarreraS w BoxerS?...
    ... or Turbo with just Carrera...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689815 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409364 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255811 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235038 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65559 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858122 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774215 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM