Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2021] Formula 1

haha lots of pouting.  for certain lh wins the whinging wanker championship.

My verdict is simple:

Best season in a long long time!!! IMO it can continue like that...wink

Max was on the inside at Monza?  Hmm

that aside the calls have been consistent. The season has been superb. Looking forward to watching Austin in person. Safe travels Nick!

Max was outside of turn 1 and that became inside of turn 2. 

and yes, this year is exciting to watch. Not many years we have drivers contending crashing into each other 

1988, Prost crashing out Senna on purpose to win the Championship.

1989 Senna returns the favor.

1994 Schumacher did the same to Hill.

1997 Schumacher again, but to Villenueve, but he came off worse.

2016, Rosberg into Hamilton at the Spanish GP, then again at Austria and the go on to win the Championship,  that’s about it.

--

-McLaren - Norris

-Ferrari - Sainz

-Williams - Russell

Who would have guessed the quali results. 3 different teams and counting Hamilton it's 4 different teams for top 4. Mclaren both cars in top 5.

What a drive by Russell to wrestle that Williams to get into Q3 and then the guts to swap to slicks and triggered everyone else to change in Q3. Looking up and dow note grid, he is the driver that overachieve the most in their car. But tomorrow I don't expect he can last and keep 3rd. Perhaps another points finish however.

By my count I think Norris just piped Max to take 4th for youngest pole sitter, Vettel still holds that title. Norris is really coming on form, together with the McLaren car.

As expected, Max takes a new engine and negates the grid penalty, Red Bull can say whatever they want but even without the grid penalty they are scheduled to do that here in the first place. Sochi has always been a Mercedes track. 

With fresh engine, and dry condition for tomorrow, Max will definitely finished in the points, depends on how quickly he can dispense with traffic, might even battle Hamilton again for a podium. 

With Norris sitting 3rd in the standing right now, Max can't afford to have more incidents with Hamilton. If they keep taking each other out, Norris will win the driver title. It's something he really needs to keep in mind when he goes for argy bargy moves against Hamilton. We could see 2007 again, with Max taking the place of Alonso and Norris being Kimi. Banking points is much more important than just beating Hamilton, especially when he is trying to win his first title. He is currently the favourite to do so and under immense pressure to get it done. Red Bull pretty much is all in for 2021 to make it happen and sacrificing 2022 in the process.

Hamilton is really getting up there in age, he just isn't as sharp as before now. Some might claim it's the pressure that's getting to him, but honestly he is like a decade older than the young guns, reflexes degrades with age and 10 years is a big gap. See Vettel and Kimi. They still have the skills but just aren't as fast as when they were younger.

Surprised Q1 for Alpha Tauri, well at least got Gasly. Tsunoda just isn't up to par. Without the Honda money he would have been long gone and Albon would have returned to AT.

Seeing the young guns starting to shine and float to the top, I am super excited for 2022 to see a reset and let them battle it all out. 

--

Mercedes messing up big time. Why not change to slicks one lap earlier The track was getting a dry line.

LH doing a silly mistake. hearthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6d-ISQ2yAk

That was brilliant!

So sorry for Norris, he really deserves that first win.
    --

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

What a race finish!! Rain always produces exciting races.

Called it, Max came back from 20th to finish on the podium, 2nd place to boot. The rain helped him greatly as he was using up so much tire in the middle stint that he is scheduled for another tire swap in the first place. As it happens that 2nd swap was to inter and he can continue his charge up the field. 

Bottas was another lucky driver that got some help from the rain to came back for a top 5. Or else he will finish in no man's land. Again.

Cheeky Alonso at the start, he scouted out before on how to cut turn 1 to gain places, he executed that perfectly. But just too bad the Alpine isn't strong enough for him to hold the position.

Norris.

Gutted to watch the win slipped away from him. He was very brave to wanting to tough it out on slicks for the last few laps. Almost. So close, yet so far away. Eventually it will happen for him. He is only 21. But boy he pulled over 10 seconds on Ricciardo in a few laps, in the same car. Wow. 

And even with the disappointment of watching the win slipped away, he is still a gentleman and walked over to Lewis to congrats him during interview. 

A bit of a disappointment to see the rain started and we were deprived of the chance to see Norris and Hamilton race wheel to wheel for the win. 

Back to talk about the interviews. 

I think Red Bull must have coached Max on how to do interviews. He is completely different than before. Even when he won. Today he came off very, how should I put it, rounded, polite, approachable, genuine, matured. Almost up to par with Russell, and very gentleman like. Helps that he came from 20th to score 18 points. But still, he wasn't like this earlier this year even when he won races. 

With a fresh engine for the rest of the year, and Lewis still have yet to take a grid penalty for a new engine, Max is back on track to be the favourite to win this year.

Called it whatever for Mercedes' strategy fuck ups, but they got it perfect at the end, and kudos for Lewis to actually come in for the swap to inters. Lewis was fully prepared to slide around the track with Norris to the end. That's what experience from winning is. There are times when the engineer is correct even when at time it went against the driver's instinct, they have more screens full of data that the driver don't have.

--

I'm so sad for Lando..... I hope he learns something from today.

--

There is no try. Just do.

Whoopsy:

Gutted to watch the win slipped away from him. 

No pun intended?

He did such a good job. Sad to see him wipe away tears in the post race interview. 

Useless Bottas didn't do anything against Max and was very slow for that car real pace. Changed tires at the right time so he got 5th position...

That was a hard lesson for Norris. He deserved the win but the race isn't 48 laps.

Norris radio

Hamilton radio

Hamilton and Norris - post-race

Lucky Max got the 2nd place. He was 7th before the rain and he was struggling with the medium tires.

100th win for Hamilton. Incredible! Smiley

Merc should fire Bottas, he didn’t even try to hold Max up and cover the racing line.

he wasn’t even trying to race for the team and Toto needed to get on the radio to tell him „get into the points“.

W/o rain Valteri would have finished outside of the points.

If I‘d be Toto I‘d replace Valteri for the rest of the season with George and by this means Lewis would be 100% WC!

Lord_Driftalot:

Merc should fire Bottas, he didn’t even try to hold Max up and cover the racing line.

he wasn’t even trying to race for the team and Toto needed to get on the radio to tell him „get into the points“.

W/o rain Valteri would have finished outside of the points.

If I‘d be Toto I‘d replace Valteri for the rest of the season with George and by this means Lewis would be 100% WC!

Hamilton don't have the car to win this year. MAx's Red Bull has the fastest car, tailored made to his driving style to boot. 

If Hamilton do win the championship this year, it will be down to skill, experience and luck.

And Mercedes isn't Red Bull, actually no teams are like that and fire a driver mid season. And even if they replaced Bottas with Russell, it will only means Mercedes have a higher chance to win the manufacturer title. What's missing in Bottas is race craft. He saw Max coming in hot and think there is nothing he can do so he can't be bothered to even move a hair. A driver with proper race craft would have moved the car to somewhere in the middle, like how Norris, Ricciardo, or even Alonso did with Hamilton chasing. 

--

And Norris only got a slap on the wrist, a reprimand for crossing the white line on pit entry, instead of a 5 second penalty.

Finally the stewards got some common sense. Norris was already much slower than the lap before trying to enter the pits, he simply slide off to the distance, it wasn't an intention fault. 

Stroll got a 10 seconds for punting Gasly, he, like Tsunoda, shouldn't even be on the F1 grid. First wandering around on track and crashing into his teammate then hitting Gasly later on. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Ashamed that he is a fellow Canadian.

And on another note, Max is beginning to downplay Russell's skills, claiming the Williams is fast and it's on the car that let Russell advance to Q3s, not his skills. He seems to feel the pressure coming next year when Russell will be at Mercedes and decided to do something about it this year. 

Haas are definitely the worse car on grid. Probably a toss up between Williams and Alfa Romeo on who is 2nd worse. So at best he in the Williams car will be a 15th place on grid if the Williams is a better car than the Alfa. On many occasions now Russell took that 15th place car into the top 10, at times well within top 10, overachieving by 6 spots min, seeing where Latifi ends up week after week, that's not the car, but the driver.

--

Wow, that was an exciting race to watch! Rooting for Norris and feeling so bad for him. Love to see the comradery between Lewis and Norris. So stoked with the result for Max. Granted, their call for intermediates helped him big time, but wow, did they completely ruin Lewis' chance of striking a big points difference! As was said by others, what is Bottas doing? Same with Seb, I think he was way behind Stroll for the entire race, Perez had a good first stint, but afterward was sinking away as well... Anyway, this was one of those races with lots of storylines and things to see, and in the end I was at the edge of my seat when the rain came, thoroughly enjoyed it!

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Some in car radio during the chaos.

The Gasly and Tsunoda exchanges are the most interesting, maybe that's why they are struggling. Rubbish pit support.

Stroll is like having a nervous break down with the rain.

Max sounded so calm on the radio. No swearing no nothing. Very unlike the typical Max. He is really growing up! Like seriously, Max is a completely different person during the Russian GP, he carried himself very well this whole weekend, on and off the track. Something must have clicked inside him after Monza. If he keep this up, this will only help him the rest of the season in his quest for his first title. 

--

TV coverage of the Russian GP is shit, utter shit. Missing most of the important moments in the race.

I had subscribed to F1TV couple weeks ago just so I can watch the race while I was trusting to Europe. I found out all the extra coverage it provides and those came in very handy this past weekend. So I have live TV up on my TV but I also had my laptop on the F1 TV coverage. In it I selected to watch Max's in car camera. The stream even have rewind function! Only down side is that the stream is a bit behind live TV. 

Very interesting to watch Max from the start at the back. First turn he had a chance to do his signature dive bomb to gain places, he didn't and instead pick and chose his place to overtake. Quite clinical I would say, on par with how Hamilton would have done. he never forced his way around but let the openings come to him, he had a much faster car than everyone else back there so the helps a lot. The TV coverage literally ignored his for most of the race, missing out big time.

I think I am going to use the same setup again next race at Turkey. With max expected to be up there at the front, I will find someone else to watch on the stream.

--

Whoopsy:

Some in car radio during the chaos.

The Gasly and Tsunoda exchanges are the most interesting, maybe that's why they are struggling. Rubbish pit support.

Stroll is like having a nervous break down with the rain.

Max sounded so calm on the radio. No swearing no nothing. Very unlike the typical Max. He is really growing up! Like seriously, Max is a completely different person during the Russian GP, he carried himself very well this whole weekend, on and off the track. Something must have clicked inside him after Monza. If he keep this up, this will only help him the rest of the season in his quest for his first title. 

Surprised by Mazepin! He was one of the most clear communicators to his team and made the right call, even when his team was doubting. Good for him.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Here is an idea.

Instead of doing reverse grid or whatever gimmick Liberty Media can think of, why don't they installed sprinklers on all the tracks, each race get a random wet session to throw a wrench into the race? Could be on lap 1, or lap 20, or last few laps. Wetness can also be random, from intermediate levels to full wet. 

--

Whoopsy:

Here is an idea.

Instead of doing reverse grid or whatever gimmick Liberty Media can think of, why don't they installed sprinklers on all the tracks, each race get a random wet session to throw a wrench into the race? Could be on lap 1, or lap 20, or last few laps. Wetness can also be random, from intermediate levels to full wet. 

Brilliant idea!

KMM:
    Whoopsy:

Here is an idea.

Brilliant idea!

Until someone gets hurt or worse. It’s best to let god do his/her thing when life is in the balance. 
    I like the idea though. 

Leawood911:
    KMM:
    Whoopsy:

Here is an idea.

Brilliant idea!

Until someone gets hurt or worse. It’s best to let god do his/her thing when life is in the balance. 
    I like the idea though. 

The last few injuries and deaths on track were all in the dry.Can't even remember the last time someone got hurt racing in the rain.

Injuries and such is part of the risk associated with the sport. And racing in the dry and wet are also part of the skill set of the drivers, the wet performance is what separate the men from the boys, not to mention it equalizes car performances. 

If someone is afraid to race in the wet, that someone has lost the 'edge' so to speak, might as well retire. 

--

Installing sprinkler systems on all the different racetracks would be kind of expensive. Here's an alternative: at a random point during the race, and for a specific duration (say, 15 laps), a "special tire compound" period is declared. Cars must come into the pits at the earliest opportunity and be fitted with a super hard compound, low mu set of tires. I'm talking really slippery tires here. Once the set number of special laps are completed, a car may pit again and be fitted with one of the regular set of tires (one of the three compounds for that race). One advantage over rain or sprinklers is that visibility would not be affected.

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    KMM:
    Whoopsy:

Here is an idea.

Brilliant idea!

I like the idea though. 

The last few injuries and deaths on track were all in the dry.Can't even remember the last time someone got hurt racing in the rain.

Injuries and such is part of the risk associated with the sport. And racing in the dry and wet are also part of the skill set of the drivers, the wet performance is what separate the men from the boys, not to mention it equalizes car performances. 

If someone is afraid to race in the wet, that someone has lost the 'edge' so to speak, might as well retire. 

Jules Bianchi in 2014.  

Whoopsy:

-McLaren - Norris

-Ferrari - Sainz

-Williams - Russell

Who would have guessed the quali results. 3 different teams and counting Hamilton it's 4 different teams for top 4. Mclaren both cars in top 5.

What a drive by Russell to wrestle that Williams to get into Q3 and then the guts to swap to slicks and triggered everyone else to change in Q3. Looking up and dow note grid, he is the driver that overachieve the most in their car. But tomorrow I don't expect he can last and keep 3rd. Perhaps another points finish however.

By my count I think Norris just piped Max to take 4th for youngest pole sitter, Vettel still holds that title. Norris is really coming on form, together with the McLaren car.

As expected, Max takes a new engine and negates the grid penalty, Red Bull can say whatever they want but even without the grid penalty they are scheduled to do that here in the first place. Sochi has always been a Mercedes track. 

With fresh engine, and dry condition for tomorrow, Max will definitely finished in the points, depends on how quickly he can dispense with traffic, might even battle Hamilton again for a podium. 

With Norris sitting 3rd in the standing right now, Max can't afford to have more incidents with Hamilton. If they keep taking each other out, Norris will win the driver title. It's something he really needs to keep in mind when he goes for argy bargy moves against Hamilton. We could see 2007 again, with Max taking the place of Alonso and Norris being Kimi. Banking points is much more important than just beating Hamilton, especially when he is trying to win his first title. He is currently the favourite to do so and under immense pressure to get it done. Red Bull pretty much is all in for 2021 to make it happen and sacrificing 2022 in the process.

Hamilton is really getting up there in age, he just isn't as sharp as before now. Some might claim it's the pressure that's getting to him, but honestly he is like a decade older than the young guns, reflexes degrades with age and 10 years is a big gap. See Vettel and Kimi. They still have the skills but just aren't as fast as when they were younger.

Surprised Q1 for Alpha Tauri, well at least got Gasly. Tsunoda just isn't up to par. Without the Honda money he would have been long gone and Albon would have returned to AT.

Seeing the young guns starting to shine and float to the top, I am super excited for 2022 to see a reset and let them battle it all out. 

Well said Nick

Russia an excellent race. The rain tyre change by Max incisive

Topspeed:

A (not so quick) summary of all the calls that were made to box for inters, during the crossover from dry to wet

HAha, thanks! The scene was chaotic but some thought well and denouement 👍

There was a post race interview with Lando that has been removed from YT where you could see him wipe away tears as he answers a few questions. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688126 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408523 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255466 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234688 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65316 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857424 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773096 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM