Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ipod and porsche...

Has anyone hardwired a ipod into their 997... i know bmw is fully intergraded with the ipod which is really neat.. and im pretty sure porsche isnt.. but i would like to try and hardwire my ipod into my porsche system.. for a clear sound..

Re: Ipod and porsche...

Not aware of any aftermarket or Tequipment parts that link up with Porsche's fiber optics yet.

Actually BMW is really on the ball like you would think. I spoke to my maintenance guy and he informed me that you can only get the ipod if you DON'T have navigation or the upgraded sound system.

tim
    2005 997s
    2005 BMW 530i (w/ nav and sound)

i still don't see why they're unable to replace the antiquated CD-changer as 'source unit' for something like the iPod...

that said, how ironic for porsche: iPod vs. navigation!!

id give up nav anyday for ipod. If you want really good nav.. u get a laptop and u get a software package that comes with a GPS... its 10x more capable than any factory car nav ive seen. delorme is a great one.. but then u have a laptop on ur passenger seat...

navigation is useless, all you need is a sexy co-pilot and a good map.

give me my 2000 cd collection any day.

Quote:
    Moogle said:

worse comes to worse...u get lost.. and u have to drive around in ur porsche longer... im going to try and purposely get lost all the time

Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    i still don't see why they're unable to replace the antiquated CD-changer as 'source unit' for something like the iPod...

Thats exactly what I'm wondering about too. There are Hard Drives that can hold mp3's just like iPods that all they need is the right cable to connect them to the CD-changer outlet in place of the CD-changer. But there isn't any for the 997

well sometimes it seems very old fashioned not to take into consideration these issues.Also for the TV module.
    I mean many will flame me but there are guys out there spending so much for a 997 that would want this even as an option in their mind!

the bmw system is really not that good. AS well as having to forego navi, upgraded speakers and a CD changer. You can only have 4 ipod playlists, which defeats the purpose of having all that music at your disposal - sure you can have loads of mp3s on each one, but who wants to cycle through 200+ songs to find the track you want?
    It's also worth bearing in mind that once your chosen track is playing, so much time and concentration was spent looking for it, that you may have wrapped your pride and joy around a tree!
    What car manufacturers need to do, to capitalise on the popularity/benefits of the ipod, is to allow drivers to hook up their pod to an i tunes system - displayed on the navi screen - now that would be a good idea..

Quote:
    NM said:
    What car manufacturers need to do, to capitalise on the popularity/benefits of the ipod, is to allow drivers to hook up their pod to an i tunes system - displayed on the navi screen - now that would be a good idea..

Yes that would be a good idea.
    I think the Dension is something like that, I saw it in my friend BMW, the unit replaces the CD charger.
    And you can browse through the playlist of your iPod.
    Maybe that's the system you've just described in your post, not sure, if it is, sorry, my bad.
    For what it's worth, I'm not bothered.
    I burn blank CDs on my Mac from my favorite playlist and put them in my CD charger.
    Not as good but just fine to be honest.
    Truth is with the iPod, I don't know about you guys, but I have something like 3,000 songs on my iPod Mini and I listened to about 3% of them on a regular basis.
    Depends on the mood I guess.
    My point is, a device that would allow you to use the ipod interface on your PCM would be nice, but I can live without it.
    I'd rather have Navigation any day, that has proven to be a luxury when travelling to unknown regions of countries.

Dension had "PROMISED" their ipod kit for the Porsche MOST fuber optics will be available in June. Others have stated that they will be showing this working unit in April/May at a few shows. Anyway... I have their unit in my Touareg and couldnt imagine driving without it. No way in the world can i go backwards to the itrip. Dont know what the problem is in making it work with the newer Porsche's but they have been promising for a few years now. Guess they just cant seem to crack the fiber optics. Check them out at http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=407&Itemid=109

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    ...I'd rather have Navigation any day, that has proven to be a luxury when travelling to unknown regions of countries.

I think the Navigation is a necessary item now. It allows you to explore and find roads that you were not aware of. And here in the US, since we can not travel at high speed, the next best way to enjoy your Porsche is to find those nice back roads where you can improve your driving skills.

Of all the options I ordered on the car, at the time the navigation was the last item on the list. Now, if I order any new car, it will be the first item on the list. Plus, with the external CD changer, I have over 8 hours of music available. An iPod would be nice, but I would never give up my navigation.

A navigation system allows you to get to that next level of Porsche driving experience.

with the dension you DO NOT give up the navigation... however you do lose the cd changer as it plugs into the same output on the back of the radio. Guess you could use some sort of a/b switch if you wanted both, but with access to all your music on the ipod, dont know why you'd want to... Also could always use the single cd to play something in an emergency

Hello All,

FYI: My ipod with itrip was not all that good in the 5-series; if you carefully put it in under the screen for idrive the signal would be picked up by the cars receiver and it would sound good. But if it slid, or if you wanted it on the seat or next to the hand brake the signal strength died and it sounded horrible.

With my 997 I can put the ipod w/ itrip on the seat, the storage area under the radio, pretty much anywhere within reach and the signal is picked up well and the overall sound is great (well as great as a FM signal can sound). What I am getting at is, the itrip is a good alternative until some aftermarket solution comes out.

Also, in the past I saw some posts from people not impressed with the Bose upgrade. I am not an acoustic engineer by any means but I can compare it to my upgraded BMW and a friends Lexus Nakamichi (sp??) system, and I think the range, clarity, and overall sound is noticeably better. Am I way off base here?

Quote:
    tpfannes said:
    I am not an acoustic engineer by any means but I can compare it to my upgraded BMW and a friends Lexus Nakamichi (sp??) system, and I think the range, clarity, and overall sound is noticeably better. Am I way off base here?

Me neither, but having driven my 997S with Bose around over the last week, I drove our E60 5series yesterday and thought the upgraded Logic 7 system was noticeable better - the sill mounted sub making the biggest difference. Just my opin. Another difference is the quietness in the BMW cabin to appreciate the sound!!

Quote:
    Moogle said:

I respectfully disagree. The new PCM 2 NAVI is awesome! Better than my laptop with MapSource and better than my Garmin. Plus I love her voice. I think I know her.

yes ? bring her for dinner then!

i was wondering if Porsche sends us an updated DVD (for maps and such whenever available) free or we have to buy it from the dealership??

Quote:
    aristal said:
    i was wondering if Porsche sends us an updated DVD (for maps and such whenever available) free or we have to buy it from the dealership??

they are about $400

nothing is free, especially if its labled porsche.

there is a plastic clip for the boxster that costs 5$

the sales guy didn't tell me that. but the first one is free right??

The dealer requests the DVDs when you get the car...

Then the NAV company sends you the DVDs. IF your dealer is on top of things, once you get a VIN number, usually when the car is on the boat, he can fill in the paperwork and have the DVDs at the dealership when you pick up the car. Otherwise they get sent to you in a few days..... Call and ask the dealer to set it up so you get them when the car arrives....

Re: The dealer requests the DVDs when you get the car...

I have the integrated iPod adapter in my '04 BMW X5 and love it. I cannot wait to get the same type of set up for my 997. The monster FM transmitter sucks in L.A. If anyone knows where I can get an integrated iPod hookup in L.A. now please post it here. Thanks. Once you get spoiled by having all your CDs with you all the time (on the iPod) it's hard to go back to a CD changer. Even my '03 SL500 had an accessory input, so you could hardwire the iPod through the sound system (but you still had to control the tracks from the iPod).

911Carrera05: you've just joined "The Mission"...

i believe there's *several* of us here on that epic search--

god speed, and share any successes!!

I wouldnt mind using the ipod to select the tracks...if there anyway to hardware it into the system. I have the monster transmitter also...it would be nice to at least connect the ipod to the system so you get a nice clear sound even tho u have to select thru the ipod

Quote:
    aristal said:

I got mine for $199 directly from the company that makes them. They will inform me of updates, of course, since there could be another sale for them.

Looks like it will finally become a reality?.......available 2nd qtr 2005

http://www.densionusa.com/icelink_fibre_info.htm

there is a GOD!! thnx for the update cantwait!!!

Their German distributor emailed me a few weeks ago that this is where Denison were going to show a demo of the MOST iLink product

4/7/05 Visit us at Sinsheim Messe!
    Dension will proudly present its future products at Stand 3200 in Halle 3 at the Sinsheim Car & Sound trade show.

I'll email him in a few days to find out if Denison's vaporware is actually becoming a product or still a figment of their own imagination

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690423 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409712 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255936 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235237 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858373 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774634 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM