Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

You don't realize the extra 0 is a mistype? 🤷🏻‍♂️

The article did not say they are DC quick charge or level 2, and either one would be fine, heck. even a slow 50kW quick charge would do for people parking overnight in front of their house. 

As for those are used cars, nope. My ex-wife's sister literally just bought a Model Y last week, they have over 10 brand new one in stock and ready to go. She basically walks in and walks out with a new car. It's been this way since like forever. One of my golfing buddy bought his Model 3 the same way too, walk in and walk out with a new car some 3 years ago. 

--

There is vast amount of land available in Canada and lots of wood to build houses. No reason why anybody that wants a house not to have it. EVs is another story since they are not produced in Canada. These should be taxed. I really don't understand why the do the opposite (subsidy EVs but push up house prices to levels unaffordable by most people).

Bonus, free gas for everyone. No need for EVs really. Smiley

wantone:

There is vast amount of land available in Canada and lots of wood to build houses. No reason why anybody that wants a house not to have it. EVs is another story since they are not produced in Canada. These should be taxed. I really don't understand why the do the opposite (subsidy EVs but push up house prices to levels unaffordable by most people).

Bonus, free gas for everyone. No need for EVs really. Smiley

Vast amount of inhabitable land. Majority of the population lives close to the 49th parallel. Who wants to travel 100+km one way to go to work or school?Smiley Or live in -40 climate?

Lots of woods, but cutting down tress is the major reason why 'global warming' happens Smiley They are the only CO2 sponge and the only producer of oxygen which we human needs. 

Instead of banning gasoline engines, a more effective way would be to ban the use of wood. Crude oil is used for many many things, propelling a car is only a tiny fraction of it. The roads we drive on is covered with asphalt, made from crude oil. Plastics we used are from crude oil. Lubricants are from oil. Textile, household products, etc. So not even EVs are except from using crude oil products. 

--

The JD Power dependability survey 2021...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

29637200-93C0-4348-96E1-C8CFE9DEA7B6.jpeg

F177EC98-B35E-45F8-8A4B-1BF9A873D567.jpeg

...a bit odd to have so few moving parts, yet so many problems!?! Smiley

You ask an excellent question. Maybe you should look at the nature of the complaints and let us know.  I’m certain we are very interested to hear the story and details behind the headlines. 

Boxster Coupe GTS:

The JD Power dependability survey 2021...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

By now you should know that Tesla fanatics think JD Powers, Edmunds, Motortrend, etc are all paid by big oil and are all biased against Tesla. Tesla should not be held against industrial metrics. It should only be held against their own imaginary standard.

Fit and finish? Who cares, we own a Tesla. 

Bare interior not up to price standard? Who cares, this is the new trend, you pay more and get less, it's called minimalistic.

Panel gaps not even? Who looks at them? We drive a Tesla and it's fast!

Autopilot not working? Don't listen to Elon completely, he is exaggerating, people with brains still holds the steering wheel and 'drive' the car, they are perfectly safe and fine. Also listen to Elon, our Teslas can do this and can do that, soon, in a few years, after more beta testing, eventually. Maybe. 

Blown out windows, roofs, bumpers? Who cares? Our Tesla can go really far on a charge as published by the EPA. 

Range can't match EPA rating? EPA is paid for by big oil. Also, EPA is always right about short rated range on other EVs and right on the much longer range of Teslas. EPA is both right and wrong at the same time.

--

Whoopsy:

By now you should know that Tesla fanatics think JD Powers, Edmunds, Motortrend, etc are all paid by big oil and are all biased against Tesla. Tesla should not be held against industrial metrics. It should only be held against their own imaginary standard.

Speaking of Edmunds. Lots of dislikes(over 70%) in this recent review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKzO9HQgRyE

He points out the real cons and pros. Tesla fanatics can't take any criticism...

Drag Mode preparation took 7 minutes and 12 seconds Smiley

Whoopsy:

Bare interior not up to price standard? Who cares, this is the new trend, you pay more and get less, it's called minimalistic.

Don't get me started on this again Smiley

Topspeed:
    Whoopsy:

Speaking of Edmunds. Lots of dislikes(over 70%) in this recent review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKzO9HQgRyE

He points out the real cons and pros. Tesla fanatics can't take any criticism...

Drag Mode preparation took 7 minutes and 12 seconds Smiley

Lol. And how fast is it if you don’t wait for drag mode?  

Whoopsy:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Fit and finish? Who cares, we own a Tesla. 

Panel gaps not even? Who looks at them? We drive a Tesla and it's fast!

Autopilot not working? Don't listen to Elon completely, he is exaggerating, people with brains still holds the steering wheel and 'drive' the car, they are perfectly safe and fine. Also listen to Elon, our Teslas can do this and can do that, soon, in a few years, after more beta testing, eventually. Maybe. 

Blown out windows, roofs, bumpers? Who cares? Our Tesla can go really far on a charge as published by the EPA. 

Range can't match EPA rating? EPA is paid for by big oil. Also, EPA is always right about short rated range on other EVs and right on the much longer range of Teslas. EPA is both right and wrong at the same time.

That is a lot of guessing about what is behind the scores. Maybe you want to check on that.  I can’t. Because if I say anything …. 

Let be grownups and agree that a publication like Car and Driver who receives no advertising money from Tesla will not get much future revenue from advertisers if they give them a glowing review. Meanwhile the other EVs get remarkable reviews.  If you are at all objective you might be able to see there is truth in what I am saying. 

Do look at the complaints in the quality survey. Are you afraid of the actual details? 

Leawood911:

Let be grownups and agree that a publication like Car and Driver who receives no advertising money from Tesla will not get much future revenue from advertisers if they give them a glowing review. Meanwhile the other EVs get remarkable reviews.  If you are at all objective you might be able to see there is truth in what I am saying. 

Do look at the complaints in the quality survey. Are you afraid of the actual details? 

if you think that way you are really that naive like the rest of the Tesla community. 🤷🏻‍♂️

All car magazines have trashed plenty of cars. Those are also other same car from the ones who buys ads in the magazine also. 

How about you take a look at what Tesla offers, vs the other EVs. Not everyone is interested in being a beta tester for Elon, and even have to pay Elon to be one. Perhaps normal people just want a car to drive, and that works? Perhaps they want a normal looking car with a normal looking interior? Not one of those minimalistic one screen contraption?

A Nissan Leaf just works. It has range plenty enough for people that work and live in the city. Extra range or out of this world acceleration is pointless to them, one reason why Leaf gets rave reviews and is the best selling EV. It just fit's it's target audience. Like how a Civic, Corolla is, it works, it goes, it stops, it carry people. Simple transportation. At a reasonable price. That's why they are the best selling cars. 

A Tesla's features doesn't align with normal car people, hence why car people doesn't give it 'great scores'. Tesla people buy Tesla because they wanted to be 'different'. They value features very differently than normal people. 

In the end, it's just different. Tesla people will always claim bias without seeing themselves in the mirror and ask the tough question, is it just me or is it just them?

Teslas are one dimensional cars, they can go really fast in a straight line, like the muscle cars of the 60s. It should be popular with those crowd. But not yet. Those guys are still addicted to their carburetors for the time being. Give them time and they might convert and see their old beloved cars have been re-born as an electric quarter mile monster. 

--

Actually it also handles considerably better than many ICE sports cars - it is far quicker than my Turbo.  I don’t own it for Corolla or Leaf like transportation. I own it because it is insanely fun and practical. Not to mention cheap to operate with virtually zero depreciation and dirt cheap insurance. In my entire lifetime I never imagined a car could do so many things superbly.  It’s not a Leaf. I don’t need a crapload of buttons to give me a warm and fuzzy while giving me 10% of the features. This is just always the same weird discussion. There is no comparison between a Tesla and other cars. EVs included. It is certainly for a different consumer - not you - but that is okay. Gives everyone a better choice in the long run. It find those interiors you like ridiculous- it’s just a matter of taste.  I would not buy a car that I have to put gas in or drive down a simple highway.   To each his own.  I did not exactly make a dumb decision and doubt you can make regret it.  Cheers buddy. From the lake. It just drove me down here, 150 miles, in the dark. 

7:35.58 at Nordschleife(20.8Km).

(7:30.91 at 20.6km)

Slow for 1000hp and instant torque.

..............Jaguar XE SV Project 8(Cup2 R): 7:18.36 (20.6Km)
    ...................Jaguar XE SV Project 8(2017): 7:21.23 (20.6Km)
    Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4MATIC+(2020): 7:23.01 (20.6Km)
    ....Porsche Panamera Turbo(971)(2020): 7:25.04 (20.6Km)
    Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4MATIC+(2018): 7:25.41 (20.6Km)
    Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4MATIC+(2020): 7:27.80 (20.832Km)
    ................................................BMW M4 GTS: 7:27.88 (20.6Km)
    ....Porsche Panamera Turbo(971)(2020): 7:29.81 (20.832Km)
    .....................................Tesla Model S Plaid: 7:30.91 (20.6Km)
    .......................Alfa Romeo Giulia QV(auto): 7:32.00 (20.6Km)
    .....................................Tesla Model S Plaid: 7:35.58 (20.832Km)
    .....Porsche Panamera Turbo(971)(2016): 7:38.00 (20.6Km)
    ....................................................BMW M3 CS: 7:38.00 (20.6Km)
    ..................Alfa Romeo Giulia QV(manual): 7:39.00 (20.6Km)
    .................................Porsche Taycan Turbo: 7:42.34 (20.6Km)

I watching the videos of the cars running it looks like they are still limited to 165 mph. Down the home stretch they never exceeded that speed.  Given that it may be some shakedown runs.  After watching the car do 154 mph in 9.2 seconds again and again I doubt the above time is the best it can do.  Does the term ‘sandbag’ ring a bell?  This thread will age so well. 

It's not going to make up 20-30 seconds by going 200nph than 165mph on the straight.............

--

Leawood911:

Actually it also handles considerably better than many ICE sports cars - it is far quicker than my Turbo.  I don’t own it for Corolla or Leaf like transportation. I own it because it is insanely fun and practical. Not to mention cheap to operate with virtually zero depreciation and dirt cheap insurance. In my entire lifetime I never imagined a car could do so many things superbly.  It’s not a Leaf. I don’t need a crapload of buttons to give me a warm and fuzzy while giving me 10% of the features. This is just always the same weird discussion. There is no comparison between a Tesla and other cars. EVs included. It is certainly for a different consumer - not you - but that is okay. Gives everyone a better choice in the long run. It find those interiors you like ridiculous- it’s just a matter of taste.  I would not buy a car that I have to put gas in or drive down a simple highway.   To each his own.  I did not exactly make a dumb decision and doubt you can make regret it.  Cheers buddy. From the lake. It just drove me down here, 150 miles, in the dark. 

every thing you just typed is exactly what a typical Tesla apologist would say. Just saying.

--

Maybe there is a grain of truth in what I say?  These are my subjective opinions based on 42 years of Porsche driving. Take it for what it’s worth. Hanging a label on me because you spend time looking for Tesla apologists is not a winning strategy. Not even certain what they apologized for?  
    To summarize last years JDP results - no battery or drivetrain issues. Mostly a few fit and finish issues and lots of people not understanding the many features and how the car works.  Like any new tech and new features there are people like my mom who prefer rotary dial phones to smartphones.  They can always choose buttons.  We know how this ends up and who ho is making the forward looking choice. I don’t expect Tesla to start adding buttons ever - but I do see them adding new stuff to my car for years to come at no cost.  Perhaps we should be getting more apologetic ICE owners soon?  Lol. They are too busy playing offense from their one yard line (4th down). 
    So why this years results? Btw they improved over last year. 

This tweet didn't age well.

https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/1174740201421377537

Here at the Berchtesgaden hotel, BMW is launching their iX and i4. 

I have never seen an uglier car than the iX, it’s on par with the Aztec! Tesla have nothing to worry about this competition. It’s ugly from the front, it’s ugly from the back, it’s ugly from the side and it’s ugly from the top. There isn’t an angle to this car that isn’t ugly.

The i4 however is looking nice if I ignore the grill…….nice small runaround little sedan.

They also have a electric scooter there too, cute.

--

Now I will disqualify myself: I ordered some month ago an iX and I already drove one. Looks special, I like it, and drives much better than any Tesla. More I am not allowed to say

Big problem for me: although the German law the is on my side the landlord (owner of the company belong is the city of Munich) does not allow the installation of the wallbox in my underground garage. Without a own wallbox an iX is useless

The i4 is a converted series 4 car to electric. 

Topspeed:

7:35.58 at Nordschleife(20.8Km).

(7:30.91 at 20.6km)

Slow for 1000hp and instant torque.

..............Jaguar XE SV Project 8(Cup2 R): 7:18.36 (20.6Km)
    ...................Jaguar XE SV Project 8(2017): 7:21.23 (20.6Km)
    Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4MATIC+(2020): 7:23.01 (20.6Km)
    ....Porsche Panamera Turbo(971)(2020): 7:25.04 (20.6Km)
    Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4MATIC+(2018): 7:25.41 (20.6Km)
    Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4MATIC+(2020): 7:27.80 (20.832Km)
    ................................................BMW M4 GTS: 7:27.88 (20.6Km)
    ....Porsche Panamera Turbo(971)(2020): 7:29.81 (20.832Km)
    .....................................Tesla Model S Plaid: 7:30.91 (20.6Km)
    .......................Alfa Romeo Giulia QV(auto): 7:32.00 (20.6Km)
    .....................................Tesla Model S Plaid: 7:35.58 (20.832Km)
    .....Porsche Panamera Turbo(971)(2016): 7:38.00 (20.6Km)
    ....................................................BMW M3 CS: 7:38.00 (20.6Km)
    ..................Alfa Romeo Giulia QV(manual): 7:39.00 (20.6Km)
    .................................Porsche Taycan Turbo: 7:42.34 (20.6Km)

I don't know if you've driven the Nordschleife, but 7'30" is massively impressive by any standard, let alone for a >2MT sedan.

Whether it's without any trickery however, I doubt it.

--

2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

This is insanely fast especially sub 8 at NS is no joke.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Given the lap records being set around the US by the Pikes Peak plaid car (stock motors and batteries) seeing that car run a time would be interesting.  
    I am still very disappointed that the new plaid did not get the 4680 batteries. They may not even be in the new Y from Berlin yet at first. 

put's 1000 PS into perspective 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUg5TumlSG5/

Here is something a bit unfortunate for a Plaid.

Someone took it to Spring Mountain and tracked it. 

Hit the wall at 140mph when the brakes failed after 3.5 laps.

Giant horsepower number plus heavy weight needs big brakes, Plaid didn't have one that's big enough. 

But Teslas aren't the only one that didn't put big enough brakes on their cars. I was with AMG for a driving event at Spring Mountain before, in the drivers' briefing before heading out, we were given strict instructions to 'go easy' on the brakes......

Someone didn't quite listen and after 3 laps coming back into the pits, his SL63's front brakes were literally on fire, as in a small fire burning around the front pads. 

Porsche aren't immune however, even when they have a reputation for oversizing their brakes. My Panamera turbo S's brakes faded at the end of a 20 min session at my track, not quite outright failed but there was noticeable fading. Not quite enough cooling.

--

Personally I find the plaid to be way too rapid for the person who generally buys such gadgets.   I doubt many of them have come from high end, super powerful sports cars.  I actually got to drive a plaid yesterday and it freaked me out it was so quick. I did enjoy it, of course, but it is not small enough for me - I’m just not ready for that size cruiser. There may be a model3 plaid coming out which would interest me - with a brake upgrade. 
    The Tesla brakes are hit or miss. You either never use them and baby them the entire life of the car or you destroy them in four or five hot laps. 

--

Whoopsy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUg5TumlSG5/

Here is something a bit unfortunate for a Plaid.

Someone took it to Spring Mountain and tracked it. 

Hit the wall at 140mph when the brakes failed after 3.5 laps.

Giant horsepower number plus heavy weight needs big brakes, Plaid didn't have one that's big enough.

So, it failed after 3,25 laps on a 2.1mile track. So it failed after about 6.8mi(11 km).

Nordschleife is 20.832km. I'm sure the Plaid in the record had stock brakes Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661563 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401021 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229062 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59419 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4375 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853388 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761577 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM