Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Alfa Romeo 4C

xander71:

I'm really considering a spider, it is exotic fun to drive and a fast little one.

The fact is that the brand has only made shit cars in the last 30 years, and all the normal people don't remember the past gloriuos cars.

The young people just see in alfa a fiat that is it. no special heritage feeling. 

Just the one in my age 44 and who loves cars can love a 4c.

I drove it 2 times and I really think it is the most fun car if compared to elise, boxster and the similar ones.I say the most fun , not the best. I would not even consider a boxster for pure fun. 

But this is me.

I can feel you. I have the same emotions about this car. And as Jim said - it is not to have another daily driver, it is to have a another toy car!

Go for it, especially in Italy the car will have very positive emotions for many years.

i agree 4c a million times over a boxster.

then again the boxster was not designed as a toy car. its an entry level porsche....different concept.

porsche should really be offering purist model of its lineup.

a stripped out boxter focused on pure driving dynamics could be a fun car.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Went to the local Alfa Romeo dealer on Saturday, just wanted to see the three 4C he has in stock live.

Two of the cars were standing outside, both had dirt on them, as if they haven't been moved for weeks (one car had license plates, the other one is new).

New car had an interesting lease offer: 19k EUR initial payment and 570 EUR per month (36 months, 10k km per year). New price tag is 68k EUR. Lease offer doesn't seem to be exactly a good one. enlightened

Now here comes the biggest surprise: I had my daughter with me and she said that the 4C is...ugly. yes She said it looks nice if you stand directly in front of the front part/windshield but it looks weird from the side and from the back. I tried to look at it from different angles and she may be right. It looks best if you stand directly in front of the front hood and windshield.

Then, we also took a look at the Fiat 124...in white...normal version, not the Abarth. What an ugly car... enlightened Front hood is way too long, the car just doesn't look right. I would prefer the old Barchetta over this ugly duckling anytime.

So the price of the 4C may not be it's only problem, I think the design is a little bit controversial as well.

The 124 will surely be a flop, I am almost certain about it. Saw two new Mazda MX-5 this weekend as well and while they're not exactly my thing, they look quite OK. Also, they are cheaper.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

intouch1:

i agree 4c a million times over a boxster.

then again the boxster was not designed as a toy car. its an entry level porsche....different concept.

porsche should really be offering purist model of its lineup.

a stripped out boxter focused on pure driving dynamics could be a fun car.

That is what the Boxster Spyder should be . IMHO one of the most fun open top Porsches this side of a 918/CGT or some rare and exotic vintage Porsches .  

@RC - your daughter has right - actually, she is always right, you know that - hmm? smiley

But seriously - my wife says the same about the 4C. She doesn't like the look. 

Again - you buy the 4C for that monocoque and the fun when driving it. You should have asked the dealer to drive it. But honestly, I guess you might have been disappointed as you would probably compare it to the R8 with its huge engine and insane push. Would really have loved to read your impressions. 

And yes - the Fiat is hideously ugly. It is inside and outside ugly. They rather would have build some more Barchettas which already been ugly, but not that much. angry

m4ever:

....  That is what the Boxster Spyder should be . IMHO one of the most fun open top Porsches this side of a 918/CGT or some rare and exotic vintage Porsches .  

Compared to the 4C the Boxster Spyder is a heavy weight!

I like to compare the 4C to my 356 Speedster. That car is super light and is so much fun to drive, even though it is very slow. So thinking about a fast version of it, that must be the 4C and that must be fun. Also, that Speedster doesn't have any which you really need - not even side windows, radio, no luxury at all - pure driving. The 4C is similar.

I hope those rumors of that lightweight entry level Porsche are true, but again - we probably will see a luxury car with minimum 1200kg and all gadgets. 

For me the 4C is very colour sensitive. IMHO it looks short and awkward in either of the reds (Rosso Alfa or Rosso Competizione) but in the matt white I have the car looks longer and lower as the matt finish really highlights all the styling elements on the body which helps to fool the eye and visually elongate it.

RI 5.JPG

ISUK:

For me the 4C is very colour sensitive. IMHO it looks short and awkward in either of the reds (Rosso Alfa or Rosso Competizione) but in the matt white I have the car looks longer and lower as the matt finish really highlights all the styling elements on the body which helps to fool the eye and visually elongate it.

RI 5.JPG

I like it in the classic red, white, yellow. Maybe I just like this car in any kind of color Smiley

While the Alfa Romeo 4C may be popular on this forum, it appears that it has failed in the overall marketplace with no replacement model scheduled.  This car was expensive to build and Alfa Romeo probably lost money on everyone sold.  The nearest dealership has had a couple of 4Cs for almost a year on its showroom floor.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/rumor-alfa-romeo-4c-spider-to-go-out-of-production-in-2017-109615.html

CGX car nut:

While the Alfa Romeo 4C may be popular on this forum, it appears that it has failed in the overall marketplace with no replacement model scheduled.  This car was expensive to build and Alfa Romeo probably lost money on everyone sold.  The nearest dealership has had a couple of 4Cs for almost a year on its showroom floor.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/rumor-alfa-romeo-4c-spider-to-go-out-of-production-in-2017-109615.html

This is all right what you are saying. You will see, once the car is off the market the prices will go sky rocket!

The story autoevolution are referring to is just a rehash of various stories that have been around on the net for a while. On the FCA investor presentations there was never any "successor" model for the 4C as Alfa never intended to do a follow up to it as it is costly to produce. Changes to US side impact airbag regulations will see the coupe version phased out after the 2017 model year. The Spider is exempt from these rule changes so will remain on sale longer. The car was only ever intended to be a brand builder to gain the marque some public recognition prior to the launch of the new generation of RWD models that starts with the Giulia. It has succeeded in that regard and paved the way for the Giulia QV model which will have a much wider appeal.

The comments in that article are typical - armchair "enthusiasts" spouting what they've heard as though it must be factual as opposed to actually having had personal experience of driving the car. Is it any wonder that sports car makers are increasingly churning out more GT style cars when you see comments that the car should have heated seats, steering wheel controls for the infotainment etc yes Alfa listened to enthusiasts and delivered a lightweight, focused car shorn of unnecessary fripperies then get slated for the result being too extreme, too stripped out and not having enough unique items like door mirrors. The fact it is one of a handful of cars to have a very expensive carbon tub chassis goes completely over the heads of most.

ISUK:

...The fact it is one of a handful of cars to have a very expensive carbon tub chassis goes completely over the heads of most.

I love the fact that Alfa listened to the Enthusiasts and that the car is so puristic.

I just can say it over and over again - that chassis is what still keeps that car on my consideration list. If I would have an empty garage I probably would have bought one in February. By now the itch is a bit gone, but reading all those posts is making me wanting it again. 

I decided to follow up the market and keep the eyes open for a nice garage in the neighborhood Smiley 

Lars,

Here is a review by a 4C owner in California (who also has a 360 Modena) that was posted on F Chat today.

" I love the death out of mine. It's like having a shifter go kart for the street. Minus the sore ribs and sweating...lol

It's a blast to drive on the track, I've had mine out at Willow and AutoClub Speedway. It's quite amazing how it hangs with everything except in the straights. There are a few of us with ECU upgrades on our 4C's. It bumps the hp from 237 to 263 whp. It makes a world of difference in the car.

I do daily drive mine. But not in the capacity of to and from work. I walk everyday to and from the office, so it's just for quick errands or to get my fix. It is truly addicting to drive.

Yes, it can be uncomfortable at times on long stints. The storage is pretty meager. Though you can do some light shopping as long as you think about your arrangement of items.

The steering is amazing. There are a few that don't like the aggressiveness of it and they have swapped out to aftermarket steering blocks to make it more tame. I've never had any problems and it's one of my favorite aspects of the car. It makes you feel absolutely connected to the road.

It's a no non sense track car with no un needed equipment or accessories. The instrument cluster is really nice and gives you a few different configurations in race mode.

I drive my car quite hard most of the time. It's lowest average mpg has been 24 mpg after a track day. But beware, it only has a 10 gallon tank. Once you get into the 1/4 tank range, the car will not allow you to drive in race mode. Or that was my experience on the track.

I have to say, it's put my 360 out of commission. lol It really is dang quick and handles great. The 360 will still eat it up on the top end above 100.

You won't be disappointed except that it will get more attention than your Ferrari. "

California 1.JPG

To borrow a line from Whoopsy in the 991 GT2 thread... Americanised!!! surprise

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1501/aussies-get-heavier-alfa-4c/

--

selling or not, the car is fun fun fun!!

Rented the coupe for few days in Europe and had an amazing time.

I was reading up on the rumors as well. Does this mean production will cease for US market or for ROW?

The carbon chassis makes this car unique !! Just for that I would like to have it. 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

That 4C owners is comparing his 4C to the 360 and the F360 wasn't exactly the most agile Ferrari on the market. Smiley Not a good comparison I'm afraid. He should compare it to a F430 Scuderia or even the 458.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Thanks Iain. It reads exactly what I would expect of that car. 

@RC - you are way to much spoiled with your strong engines. The 4C is the go-cart, it doesn't need to be that strong or that fast, it just gives enjoyment. But I agree F360 was indeed not an agile car and probably one of the less attractive Ferraris. I remember a test drive I had those days and I was kind of disappointed that my 996 I used to own at that time, felt even stronger ;)

Lars997:

Thanks Iain. It reads exactly what I would expect of that car. 

@RC - you are way to much spoiled with your strong engines. The 4C is the go-cart, it doesn't need to be that strong or that fast, it just gives enjoyment. But I agree F360 was indeed not an agile car and probably one of the less attractive Ferraris. I remember a test drive I had those days and I was kind of disappointed that my 996 I used to own at that time, felt even stronger ;)

I wasn't talking about the engine, Lars. I was talking about the chassis. Comparing the 360 chassis with the 4C is not really fair in my opinion. The 360 was the first step towards a "modern" Ferrari but the chassis wasn't exactly excellent. No comparison to the 4C chassis setup.

--

I've owned a 360 (which I hated and quickly sold), a 430 spider and a 430 Scuderia. For me the 4C represents a mini version of the 430 Scuderia in terms of it's ethos - stripping out all unnecessary equipment and focusing on raw performance. For real world fun at vaguely sane speeds the 4C provides even more visceral drama than the Scuderia does and for a fraction of the cost. It really is a modern day Dino in all but name. If the team Alfa poached from Ferrari to work on the Giulia QV were allowed to create a 4C QV then I think the press would go crazy for the resulting car.

mailmailmail .... IAIN... stop talking about all those fascinating 4C features ... I was catching my self today thinking about driving by the local Alfa dealer 

I will stop opening the 4C thread .... way to dangerous angrybroken heartwink

Lars997, I was soooooooooooooo tempted to buy one but they won't come down in price, maybe I will wait till they have a closeout clearance sale!

--

Lars997:

mailmailmail .... IAIN... stop talking about all those fascinating 4C features ... I was catching my self today thinking about driving by the local Alfa dealer 

I will stop opening the 4C thread .... way to dangerous angrybroken heartwink

I have this felling almost every day..hahahah.. I have my 993 which is perfect now, restored the old jag and finally finished the rostoration of the Bentley t2, and I just would love to have a small go kart for having fun up on the hills here in Bologna ( the old way the 1000 miglia goes trough), and the 4c is just tempting me every day, I dorove already 4c and 4c spider, thay are just so fun, far more fun than most of the other cars including ferrari and porsche.

I would just like to have little more power to being able to go sideway easier.... but what a fun car!!!!!

--

993 c2

Whoopsy:

Lars997, I was soooooooooooooo tempted to buy one but they won't come down in price, maybe I will wait till they have a closeout clearance sale!

I noticed that one dealer (in Quebec) now lists new 4C coupes at $67,000 CDN.  I wondered it they were using US$ at first, but I don't think so. So maybe they will all need to come down soon? 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Went to Dallara ( the ones that makes all the indy car chassis and probably the best chassis producer ever) , and they told me that soon they will be doing a road car that will outperform all cars on the market!!!!

Since all supercar producer are buying enginering fro them, ( Porsche Ferrari Lamborghini PAgani etc...) and a lot of Formula 1 teams, they have maybe the best esxperince in the business.

So old Ing. Dallara said to the team: we have to make a car 2 seats light that I can drive on the twisty roads from Parma to the sea and when driving back home passing by Mugello circuit and be the fastest car on the track!!!

This sounds just so cool.... it will cost as hell I guess!!!  they did the KTM xbow and I guess the 4c come from there to...

--

993 c2

Whoopsy:

There we go - you are speaking out of my heart. It is easier to buy a watch for that money than a car, isn't it SmileySmiley It is the perfect toy for Area27! Smiley

I still think, this is a great keeper. I will check carefully what the market is doing and maybe get one when things are right Smiley

Lars997:
    Whoopsy:

There we go - you are speaking out of my heart. It is easier to buy a watch for that money than a car, isn't it SmileySmiley It is the perfect toy for Area27! Smiley

I still think, this is a great keeper. I will check carefully what the market is doing and maybe get one when things are right Smiley

You are so right. Any watch at that price point is one that won't lose money. Smiley

It is quite perfect for  causal track toy, actually it would be between the 4C and a Miata. But of course the Miata is a lot cheaper.

--

Whoopsy:
    Lars997:
    Whoopsy:

You are so right. Any watch at that price point is one that won't lose money. Smiley

It is quite perfect for  causal track toy, actually it would be between the 4C and a Miata. But of course the Miata is a lot cheaper.

The Miata - really, is that car on par? I agree that at least repairs should be much easier. But there is still the Lotus, as an option. 

Front engine rear wheel drive little sports car, different layout than the mid engine 4C and Lotus. 

Engine doesn't over power the chassis and driving it fast means skills, keeping momentum and etc. 

The limit is low enough with the skinny tires that one could be drifting and sliding it all the way around the track like a hero to a casual observer indecision

4C and the Lotus has a bit more power, speed will be faster, and the mid engine layout means they will be a tad more nervous, needs a bit more skills to catch it for slides, but same idea as the Miata, lower limit than other high power cars and thus requires more skills to be fast, these 3 would be great cars to hone driving skills. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689655 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409301 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255784 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235009 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65535 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858066 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774106 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM