Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2021] Formula 1

Verstappen vs. Hamilton: Qualifying Head-To-Head | 2021 Dutch Grand Prix

Looks like Max only lost about 0.1s without DRS at the end.

Textbook perfect race win for Max. He has the quicker reaction off the line and the he basically just fucked off to the distance start to finish. 2nd easiest win for him after Spa last week.

What a treat to hear a live performance of the national anthem. But then again had Lewis won, it isn’t happening The Dutch threw a fantastic event! Brave!! 

For once the stewards didn't throw a penalty at Norris for being the inside car on battles. I mean, they have been consistent this season in handing out penalties mail maybe they finally realized those are penalty worth, they are just......racing incidents.

Alonso. wow, impressive driving. Too slow? Who? Me? I am saving my tires! Immediately pulled out a 6 second gap over his teammate. The old fox still got it! 

It's amazing how big a difference is between Red Bull and Mercedes vs the rest of the field. Lapping everyone for the top 3 cars, with 2 stops even.

With these banked corners at Zandvoort a hit for everyone, could the cookie cutter Tilke tracks be on the way out? It's a breath of fresh air seeing cars take different lines through a corner. 

Also weird that no one learnt anything, to defend at turn one, the outside line is the place to be, not the inside. 

Should Red Bull dial the car back a bit to make life easier for Perez? Could have help with the Constructor title if they can get Perez to score points consistently. But that would also means compromising Max a bit. Tough call, but with their car clearly being the fastest out there, they could afford to, Max has enough skill to adapt and be competitive with Lewis.

Mercedes' strategy calls this year has gone down the drain. They are a mess. Dysfunctional is a fitting adjective. On the other side of the battle, Red Bull is doing a perfect job on EVERYTHING. Even traffics are parting like how Mosses parted the Red Sea for them to go through. Driver title is pretty much in the bag for Max. Would they go for the Constructor too? I think Honda would love to win that as a parting gift. How big a say can Honda give Red Bull?

Monza next. Mercedes have used up their freshest engines this weekend. All Mercedes powered cars actually. The Honda cars and Ferraris and Renaults will have a leg up against their competitors. 

I hope Frankfurt's Lufthansa lounge will show the F1 race, I will be stuck there for 5 hours on a transfer next Sunday.

A pity Horner didn't get cheeky and slap a fake yellow Dutch license plate on the back of Max's car, just to show everyone that those yellow plated cars aren't rolling roadblocks. 

--

Sort of fixed. Don't know how if even if I can move posts to different threads. So I just consolidate and copy and paste the comments to the proper one.

--

Leawood911:

If I were Botas I would want to get the hell away from a team that pits me for a vibration when I don’t have one. Obviously they just wanted to be certain Lewis was ahead of him after the extra stop for tires. I get team orders but they even told him to abort his fast lap.  There should be limits to this crap. 
    If both your cars are winning fastest lap but you lose then I blame the drivers less than the team strategy. 
    Russel must be wondering what might be in store for him next year. 
    Awesome reporting by Whoopsy. None of it ‘lifted’ from the commentators, all of it spot on analysis.  Hope you get the airport feed so we can enjoy more comments. 

--

Shaich:

But honestly, what are you expecting???? Bottas did not deliver what so ever this year, he is lacking on pace with a huge margin…. That extra point can be very critical at the end of the season… we have seen more than one championship that was decided by only one point. I totally understand Mercedes, sure it doesn’t look pretty but I get it. 
    regarding Russel, I think it all depends on him, if he get the wins be up there with Lewis and he will be able to fight for the championship I am sure about that. We could get something like Alonso and Lewis 2007 with McLaren indecision

--

About Bottas.

He has flashes of brilliance, but more flashing of dubious times. 

His new deal hasn't announced yet. Could he be thinking about the 2022 ride would be riding on his behaviour?

He has great one lap pace, at times, when he feels like it. Maybe it's a Finnish trait, Kimi is like that too, at times he can't be bothered. 

As for Hamilton/Alonso 2007. Could happen but the situation is quite a bit different this time around. Back then Hamilton is this unknown hot shot kid coming up the Mclaren system, Alonso just won back to back WC and is feeling he is THE ONE. This time around Russell is a known entity, and Hamilton isn't coming off back to back, or even a WC as likely he would come in 2nd to Max. Alonso was in his prime, Hamilton is in twilight years. he can still compete with the fastest out there but as we can see, the young guns simply wipe the floor for reaction times on starts. 

--

Max put on a impressive showing for the weekend, calm, composed. He has matured as a racing driver in front of our eyes.

He broke into F1 at what, age 17? Gone are the days where he is easily rattled, panicked. His temperament has greatly improved, still got a bit of work to do but keep winning help. His questionable racing maneuvers from his younger days are mostly gone now also.

Russell in a contending car would put up a great fight against Max I think. Russell spent almost 3 years seasoning in a back marker, faced just about all kinds of heartbreaks and adversity. Those experiences is just going to help him as a racing driver. Probably used up all his bad luck already too. 

Peter Windsor did some clips about different driving styles. Max is the fastest if he is in a 'lose' car, like very lose. A trait that Alonso also possess. They fiddle and baby the car in the turns and make it dance, almost like a performing art. The moment the car faces the correct direction is the moment they gas it for the exit. It's their method for going fast. 

Hamilton has a different style, he minimizing the time his car spent in the corners, make them shorter so he can spend more time going straight and accelerating. Russell sort of drives the same way. Not as masterful as Hamilton does it but when he lands at Mercedes he can learn from the best. This method however requires a more stable car. Some would call this the classical method. Most drivers do it like this one way or another. One reason why Max's teammate are having a hard time matching Max's time in the same car. 

Which makes Alonso and Hamilton's skill even more impressive when they partnered at McLaren. They have completely different driving style yet they are neck and neck most of the time with a 'compromised' set up back then. 

--

Yes Bottas has his moments, but it is not enough sitting in a car like that, especially not in a season like that where Max has the faster car and where he is a big threat for the WDC. The comparison with Kimi is also a bit off as Kimi was in his prime almost unbeatable with a good car, he lost two WDC because of very poor reliability of the McLaren... and Kimi hast different issues I think... when something doen not run his way he loses interest. Now Kimi is to old for this sport and he spent his final years doing what he loves getting paid good money but with very little ambitions. 

I agree ob the Ham/Alo, its sure not exactly the same, but I think Ham still got enough in order to make Russles' life difficult, and he has enough ego (well deserved) that it can be quite problematic. Yes he is not that hungry as he was a few years ago, but if he dont win this year, it will push him even more.

I think Max is really growing, and Max deserves to win, and one thing is sure if he will win Ham in his Mercedes it will be a very sweet victory. Max is a great talent and if not for Hamilton he would already have a title or two....

He should have set that fast lap. 

Whoopsy:

Textbook perfect race win for Max. He has the quicker reaction off the line and the he basically just fucked off to the distance start to finish. 2nd easiest win for him after Spa last week.

What a treat to hear a live performance of the national anthem. But then again had Lewis won, it isn’t happening The Dutch threw a fantastic event! Brave!! 

For once the stewards didn't throw a penalty at Norris for being the inside car on battles. I mean, they have been consistent this season in handing out penalties mail maybe they finally realized those are penalty worth, they are just......racing incidents.

Alonso. wow, impressive driving. Too slow? Who? Me? I am saving my tires! Immediately pulled out a 6 second gap over his teammate. The old fox still got it! 

It's amazing how big a difference is between Red Bull and Mercedes vs the rest of the field. Lapping everyone for the top 3 cars, with 2 stops even.

With these banked corners at Zandvoort a hit for everyone, could the cookie cutter Tilke tracks be on the way out? It's a breath of fresh air seeing cars take different lines through a corner. 

Also weird that no one learnt anything, to defend at turn one, the outside line is the place to be, not the inside. 

Should Red Bull dial the car back a bit to make life easier for Perez? Could have help with the Constructor title if they can get Perez to score points consistently. But that would also means compromising Max a bit. Tough call, but with their car clearly being the fastest out there, they could afford to, Max has enough skill to adapt and be competitive with Lewis.

Mercedes' strategy calls this year has gone down the drain. They are a mess. Dysfunctional is a fitting adjective. On the other side of the battle, Red Bull is doing a perfect job on EVERYTHING. Even traffics are parting like how Mosses parted the Red Sea for them to go through. Driver title is pretty much in the bag for Max. Would they go for the Constructor too? I think Honda would love to win that as a parting gift. How big a say can Honda give Red Bull?

Monza next. Mercedes have used up their freshest engines this weekend. All Mercedes powered cars actually. The Honda cars and Ferraris and Renaults will have a leg up against their competitors. 

I hope Frankfurt's Lufthansa lounge will show the F1 race, I will be stuck there for 5 hours on a transfer next Sunday.

A pity Horner didn't get cheeky and slap a fake yellow Dutch license plate on the back of Max's car, just to show everyone that those yellow plated cars aren't rolling roadblocks. 

MV won because of his car, the RedBull is so massive outperforming all other cars that only Sir Lewis can fight with them.

Sergio Perez is a very weak teammate IMHO he's way slower than Albon and Gasly were when they've been driving in the RedBull as in these seasons the car was poor.

LH is still the alpha dog in the circus and if we didn't had that poor "race" in Spa he'd still lead the championship. I'm sure that in Monza #44 will get on top again.

You are not giving Max enough credit.

He made the perfect start. And ran a perfect race without issues. His pace control is good, always staying just that little bit ahead of Lewis. DIdn't make a single mistake on track. He was driving well within himself. He never held the fastest lap once for the whole race as there was no need to go faster than needed. 

--

Forget about the potential Hamilton/Russell issues at Mercedes next year, the real fireworks is happening at Hass, between Schumacher and Mazepin!! Not even a full season together and the gloves are already off!!!

--

Extra points this weekend. Sprint Qualifying on Saturday.

Whoopsy:

You are not giving Max enough credit.

He made the perfect start. And ran a perfect race without issues. His pace control is good, always staying just that little bit ahead of Lewis. DIdn't make a single mistake on track. He was driving well within himself. He never held the fastest lap once for the whole race as there was no need to go faster than needed. 

+1

Whoopsy:

Forget about the potential Hamilton/Russell issues at Mercedes next year, the real fireworks is happening at Hass, between Schumacher and Mazepin!! Not even a full season together and the gloves are already off!!!

Don't bet on that.... Russel is hungry.... and if he delivers he will get even more appetite, with success comes the appetite... regarding., Mick and Nikita, yes... this is a fight without reward.

Shaich:
    Whoopsy:

Don't bet on that.... Russel is hungry.... and if he delivers he will get even more appetite, with success comes the appetite... regarding., Mick and Nikita, yes... this is a fight without reward.

It really is a completely different scenario.

Back in 2007, no one, literally no one, not even Ron Dennis himself, expects the rookie Hamilton is going to be 1 point away from winning the WC as a rookie. 2007 was the best ever campaign for a rookie, by a unbelievable margin. Hamilton was a once in a lifetime prodigy. Ron fully expect Alonso would deliver a WC title to him in 2007, and with a supporting Hamilton, securing the constructor title. 

Russell isn't a rookie, he is a a well known entity by Mercedes, even at F1 level. Hamilton surely knows who he is getting as a teammate, unlike Alonso back then who thinks Hamilton is just another pushover wannabe. Russell is of course hungry for success, I don't think he think of himself as inferior to Max, he believed he is at least equal if not better. We have watched him for the better part of the last 3 years, unlike Max, he is well planted, humble, and also don't have a well connected father that paved his ways, he has earned ever single ounce of respect by himself and his ability, just like Hamilton now. Is he the perfect driver? Nah, he still have much to learn. Partnering with Hamilton and be in the same team and same circle would do him real good. His fight will never be with Hamilton, it will always be with Max. After the 2021 season, Max will be the reigning champion, in the fastest car. Max is the one with the target on his back, not Hamilton. 

All the pressure will be on Max for 2022, he will need to prove he is the one to beat for the foreseeable future and not just a one hit wonder. He will have the added pressure to defend against both Hamilton and Russell, and Russell is just going to be that much better than Bottas in a Mercedes. 

A very likely scenario for 2022, providing no other teams come close, Max, Hamilton and Russell qualifies 1st, 2nd and 3rd every race. Who would Red Bull picked to go against strategy wise? Mercedes would have the luxury of splitting Hamilton and Russell, might even alternate strategies for both drivers for each race. 2022 will not be a straight fight between 2 Mercedes drivers for the title. This is assuming both Red Bull and Mercedes stays ahead of everyone else. IT could very well be that Ferrari comes back strong for the new rules. Or Mclaren. Alpine with Ocon can also do some damage. Not unlikely as Red Bull will be spending quite a bit this year just to ensure Max wins the title and handicapped next year's car. For all we know, even Alfa or Williams might have aced the 2022 regulations and Bottas or de Vries or Zhou or Albon could become 2022 WC. 

Wouldn't that be ironic if either of those 2 teams win the 2022 title? Bottas was the castaway and Williams let go of Russell. Or Albon winning it all with ether team. 

--

To expand on my last post.

Albon to Williams. 

Albon deserves a '2nd chance' at F1. Red Bull didn't want to give him up on one hand, but on the other hand they didn't think he is good enough, not even better than Yuki🙄 as they signed Yuki for another season at AT.

Mercedes had no problem with Albon singing at Williams, provided that Red Bull releases Albon. Horner isn't keen on that idea. But WHY!?!?!

Come on Christian, if you think Albon is good enough, why are you keeping Tsunoda? Because of the Japanese money he is bring in? Or you think the midget is a better driver than Albon? *I am not politically correct, I never will be. Bite me, Yuki is tiny and yes, that. * Yuki is also one of the most fouled mouth individual I have ever seen. Heck English isn't his mother tongue and he can swears with the best of them. Kudos. Max, take a back seat to Yuki.

I really suspect Albon is going to ended up at Alfa Romeo. Christian isn't ready to let go of him. Williams is going to sign de Vries. Zhou has an outside shot, Renault is going full court press trying to convince Williams. Zhou have no future in F2, he is going to win the championship and have no where to go after. Renault doesn't have a Formula E team to park him. Mercedes of course would want de Vries to be in a F1 car, as they have no more stakes in Formula E next year. 

Zhou has Chinese money, who doesn't want money in F1. Renault is stuck with Ocon and Alonso. Ocon is the future and Alonso has proved that he still has the fight even at age 40 or whatever. They don't have the luxury of a customer team to park Zhou. Or a Formula E team for the matters. 

Aiken is an outside outside shot for the Williams seat, but he doesn't bring money. Latifi do. But Aiken is better driver.

I think I called these drivers lineup last week, before the general press speculate this week

--

Gasly deserves a better seat. He is constantly driving the Alpha Tauri to highs we have never seen in the past years. 

When at RB he did not handle the (unnecessary) pressure. He has grown since then. He is one of the fastest now.

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Cool picture, Hamilton with a well fed woman and a random boy with books.

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-07 at 15.36.55.jpeg

--

2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

Porker:

Cool picture, Hamilton with a well fed woman and a random boy with books.

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-07 at 15.36.55.jpeg

I wonder if he managed to get those signed. 

I hope so. What a treasure for the little man if he did. 
    well fed woman?  When You chimed in I figured you would claim innocence. 

Leawood911:

I hope so. What a treasure for the little man if he did. 
    well fed woman?  When You chimed in I figured you would claim innocence. 

Your honor, I have never even seen this woman! 

That random boy with books looked awfully like George Russell smiley

--

Gnil:

Gasly deserves a better seat. He is constantly driving the Alpha Tauri to highs we have never seen in the past years. 

When at RB he did not handle the (unnecessary) pressure. He has grown since then. He is one of the fastest now.

To go up from Alpha Tauri means either Red Bull, Mercedes or Ferrari. Hs sort of stuck there for a while.

--

Whoopsy:
    Gnil:

To go up from Alpha Tauri means either Red Bull, Mercedes or Ferrari. Hs sort of stuck there for a while.

He is....... Should replace Saintz at Ferrari Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

BREAKING: Alex Albon will return to F1 with Williams in 2022!

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1435573736128794626

Not a big surprise, we heard Horner a bit too often lately about Albon "deserving a spot in F1".

I was quite surprised about this, as I wasn't really impressed with him when he was still in F1. Are they hoping for a Gasly-like story? That he'll become much better when the pressure is taken off?

I think with Gasly they also created a problem, because yeah, he is doing really well now, but what will happen if you give him another chance at a top team? Will he thrive or will he crumble again?

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:

Not a big surprise, we heard Horner a bit too often lately about Albon "deserving a spot in F1".

I was quite surprised about this, as I wasn't really impressed with him when he was still in F1. Are they hoping for a Gasly-like story? That he'll become much better when the pressure is taken off?

I think with Gasly they also created a problem, because yeah, he is doing really well now, but what will happen if you give him another chance at a top team? Will he thrive or will he crumble again?

Yet Horner controls 4 seats in F1 and he isn't giving one of those to Albon, isn't that weird?

Also weird that the William's seat seems to be the seat to get, who would have thought! Maybe they all went to rub off on Russell.

One more seat left at Alfa. It should be rookie, so Zhou, de Vries, and the likes, no Hulk there. 

--

Fingers crossed for De Vries. He is such a humble and nice guy, and fast as well. Hoping he’s not too humble and gets passed again…

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM